• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOODENLUNG WOOFENLUNG CAN YOU DO THE FANDANGO

The fandango.
irwCTgj8oeuxe.png

The thing with Pep is that he's still/back where he started with Bayern, I don't see much improvement.

It's pretty much the same weak defensive tactic he had when we beat Bayern in the Supercup last summer.

Messi

You know why I enjoyed Pep losing? He didn't get to do his little sip of the water bottle after his team scores a goal. Fuck that move.

I never noticed this in all my time watching him. But holy shit he does it all the time.

Man, Real Madrid were incredible last night. Deserved everything they got. Ronaldo is beastly and the power on that first Ramos header. They will take some stopping now. Bale has undoubtedly made them a much bigger threat going forward, him and Ronaldo are so quick on the counter.

Enjoy the final MadridGAF

kmax

Not only has no club won Champion's League twice in a row, but no clubs from the same country has won it consecutively neither. It's a different club from a different country each and every year.

Yikes.

subtles

Any idea why Brendan was playing narrow too...?

We've been playing very narrow with the diamond in recent weeks + our play usually goes through the middle. When we would take the ball wide Chelsea's winger would essentially fulfill the role of a FB with the FBs + CBs being in a position to cut out any balls played into the box. It frustrated the players after a while.

We tried many things to be fair but couldn't break them down at the end of the day.

Elchele

The thing with Pep is that he's still/back where he started with Bayern, I don't see much improvement.

It's pretty much the same weak defensive tactic he had when we beat Bayern in the Supercup last summer.

Defensive tactics are irrelevant to him. He uses the same tactics as LvG, you got to out-score the rival

pappe

I think in the tiki taka system you need players who have the ability to unlock the defenses with a single pass or single dribble.

Barca had Xavi and Iniesta to make that key pass and Messi to provide an amazing run to drag all the attention to himself and leave other players open.

Bayern even with all the amazing players they have lack that someone to provide this.

You can argue that Robben and Ribery have the ability to make those runs but Robben is too predictable sometimes and Schweini Lahm and Kroos lack the vision to provide the killer pass. Thiago is capable and Bayern really missed him.

Just my 2 cents.

BoerBert

I hope Spurs get Frank De Boer but I will cry if Bergkamp agrees to go with him and be assistant at Spurs.

I don't believe Dennis would go with him. That would only leave Jonk of the 'technical heart' at Ajax. It's like they would all abandon the plan the started with 3/4 years ago.

Jack cw

Grats to Madrid GAF!
Wonderful game and what great squad with a great coach you have this season. CR7 finally delivered. Well deserved final and incredible tournament so far. Great performance over both legs. And defeated the whole Bundeslolga. Never seen Bayern that helpless and I'm going to cheer for you in the final. Now win it pls!

@Bayern
Disgusting behavior from the "fans" leaving the stadium early. Such a No Go...
We cant always win and succeed, some people have apparently forgotten where we came from and thousands of people would have gave their last cent for a ticket to be there and cheer for their squad until the bitter end. We played a great season so far and made it to the semis three times in a row, but that is obviously not enough for all those event and success fans.

And fuck off Ribery! Shit performance and shit behavior on the pitch, at least have some dignity and accept it like a man that the opposition was better in every regard.

@Pep
Find the right fucking balance! This man completely lost it. 5 minutes in and we play with 10 man in Reals half with only 2 CBs playing against 3 rockets... Terrible, terrible defence at set pieces. 3 goals conceded because of shitty assignment who to cover. Müller leaves Ramos to make the run, then Dante doubles Ronaldo all of a sudden and leaves Ramos alone. Goddamnit, Boateng had Ronaldo covered there, he was in front of him, no need for Dante to completely lose Ramos there. Ribery plays the devastating pass into Bales feet, because Alaba isnt allowed to be full back anymore. As a result Ribery had nobody to pass the ball to and because Alaba wasnt on the wing, but in midfield, Bale could start his run against our slow CBs.

Its sad that, in two legs we basically had 0 chances to score a goal....
4-3-3 with Kroos and Schweinsteiger... What the hell is Pep doing. Martinez is a weapon and he keeps him on the bench when he is the most valuble player against such oppositions. 4-2-3-1 would have been the key with 6 defensive players against Reals counters, instead Pep played with 2 defenders...

Many, many things that were wrong on a tactical level were shamelessly revealed by Madrid yesterday and Pep has to do something. That boring tiki taka with no speed and overloading full backs, without a defensive midfield and an offence that doesnt exist is embarrassing. Dortmund is going to sodomize us again in 3 weeks if we keep playing like this. The players are good enough, they showed this for 4 years now, but the tactics and defensive assignment because his stupid 4-3-3 are going to kill him.

/rant

GQman2121

Banned
Ivan--Cahill--Terry--Azpil

----Ramires-----Luiz----

Schurrle--Oscar--Hazard

---------Eto'o---------

...is how we're likely to come out. I don't think Terry should start but I know he will. Cole should be out there for JT, with Ivanovic paired with Cahill in the middle.

Willian is one booking away from missing the final, so I don't think he starts. Or maybe he does and comes off at half time. I'm not sure. We're really thin with the ineligible players and suspensions.

I hope we score in the first half and can throw on Kalas, Ake or even Van Ginkel on and play three midfielders in front of the back four.

Fady K

To be fair to Cabeye I think money was secondary, the primary reason he wanted to move was play for a team capable of winning leagues and playing in the Champions League. How we were able to buy him for £6million, then hold onto him for two and half seasons is beyond me. The fact that Moyes completely overlooked him in the summer and bought Fellani is yet another indication that he was in over his head in terms of knowing what his team needs.

As for the current squads lack of motivation, I would say, in my far from expert opinion, that its a perfect storm of having nothing left to play for this season, a lot of them knowing for one reason or another they won't be at the club next year, and biggest of all a complete lack of confidence/respect for Pardew. Just look at teams like Southampton and Stoke, safe from relegation, unable/very unlikely to qualify for europe, yet they're still playing to a high standard, Hughes and Pochettino demand it of them. Wheras Alan Pardew is going round saying things like 'Ideally we'd like to try and win at least one game before the end of the season.' Inspiring stuff.

I always thought Newcastle were excellent at acquiring some of the best talents for outrageously cheap prices. That is why I expected they would fill in Cabaye's position quite easily. I guess they did not prepare themselves enough for the fact that he was going to definitely leave this time.

As for Pardew, not the most inspiring of things to say! Stoke is an excellent example from your end, they having nothing to gain in the middle yet they usually fight like they will gain something and that is respectable indeed. (Southampton too!). When a team doesn't see eye to eye with the manager at all it could definitely spell trouble. Though if a lot of players are expecting to leave this summer then surely there is a lot of transfer activity to be made this summer, so many vital decisions to be made in one period. Let's see how it goes.

At this rate I'm curious if Newcastle will lose the next 2 in a row...that would be mad. They have not lost 6 in a row since 86/87 I think.

Willian is too important for the counter s and winning the ball up the pitch, to not start tonight.

Mikel is suspended right? Otherwise I would hope and think he would start too.

Jack cw

Thing is Pep's strategy was never so inflexible as we saw last night.

Surely everyone remembers Barca's dismantling of Arsenal on the counter.

True. Even at Barca he played with at least one defensive midfielder - Busquets.
He also had rather fast wingers with Alves and a truly great CB with Pique. That system worked because Iniesta and Xavi won many one on ones in 4-3-3 formation and had space to initiate attacks. Besides Thiago, there is nobody in Bayern squad that could play in midfield like this. Heynckes found the perfect strategy for this team and Pep brought us 3 years back to Luis van Gaals boring possession play.

bjaelke

We tried many things to be fair
I don't necessarily agree with you on that one. Personally, I think we were lacking a plan b (no, not that one Durham!) and it showed. We kept coming at them, and they kept shutting us down and clearing the ball. Luckily we can work on improving that area next season - both through squad depth and tactics.

qindarka

Banned
Willian is too important for the counter s and winning the ball up the pitch, to not start tonight.

Mikel is suspended right? Otherwise I would hope and think he would start too.

Yep. Both Mikel and Lampard are suspended and we only have two CM's available, Ramires and Luiz, pretty much forcing us to play 4-2-3-1. Unless we want to give Van Ginkel a baptism of fire.

Did someone say something about water bottles?

iWGHHgoggvRoo.gif

ib0chMFW2MpI2L.gif

Mou kicked the shit out of some water bottle when Ba scored against PSG. Was a great moment.

Yep. Both Mikel and Lampard are suspended and we only have two CM's available, Ramires and Luiz, pretty much forcing us to play 4-2-3-1. Unless we want to give Van Ginkel a baptism of fire.

Yeah... Well well, lets pray Ramires isn't a dumb fuck tonight. Can't believe he only just barely got back from his suspension against Villa to elbow some Sunderland cunt, he missed nearly all the last games now in the league.

subtles

I don't necessarily agree with you on that one. Personally, I think we were lacking a plan b (no, not that one Durham!) and it showed. We kept coming at them, and they kept shutting us down and clearing the ball. Luckily we can work on improving that area next season - both through squad depth and tactics.
We did though, imho, but we weren't necessarily trying the right things. Nor enough of the wrong ones to nick a goal.

We tried playing through the FBs, the middle, crossing it in, diagonal balls, etc. Sterling/Suarez/Coutinho were trying many things in the game early on until they got frustrated. There is a lot of work to be done, I agree, but we did try.

bud

all things considered, i think it's pretty impressive pep got bayern playing like they are with the players they have. with that said, to fully execute his playing style, he's going to need to bring in new players.

dante and boateng are not suited for this system. they're not good enough; they can't pass the ball around in the required tempo, and they're slow and immobile.

players like lahm, javi, schweinsteiger, muller, and kroos simply aren't creative enough to come up with solutions in the smallest of spaces. thiago alone isn't going to make a massive difference. robben and ribery keep running into a wall due to the incredibly low ball circulation in midfield. what they do well is that they do manage to keep the ball--but that's about it, really. sideways passing galore.

mandzukic is awful, and like so many other players, doesn't fit into the system. his replacement will be an improvement at least.

GQman2121

Banned

Mou kicked the shit out of some water bottle when Ba scored against PSG. Was a great moment.

Yeah... Well well, lets pray Ramires isn't a dumb fuck tonight. Can't believe he only just barely got back from his suspension against Villa to elbow some Sunderland cunt, he missed nearly all the last games now in the league.

No Mikel does suck. Feels odd saying that but he's actually been a great asset over the last month.

I would feel much better if this were available to us: http://a.pomf.se/bdeiha.webm

He had more than a few highlights that game too. If you could pair that with like, Modric....my body can't produce enough semen.

Salvadora

all things considered, i think it's pretty impressive pep got bayern playing like they are with the players they have. with that said, to fully execute his playing style, he's going to need to bring in new players.

dante and boateng are not suited for this system. they're not good enough; they can't pass the ball around in the required tempo, and they're slow and immobile.

players like lahm, javi, schweinsteiger, muller, and kroos simply aren't creative enough to come up with solutions in the smallest of spaces. thiago alone isn't going to make a massive difference. robben and ribery keep running into a wall due to the incredibly low ball circulation in midfield. what they do well is that they do manage to keep the ball--but that's about it, really. sideways passing galore.

mandzukic is awful, and like so many other players, doesn't fit into the system. his replacement will be an improvement at least.
As cliched as this sounds, Bayern didn't look like they had the desire.

qindarka

Banned

What would you say our chances are now? I'm allowing myself a bit of optimism with Hazard and Terry being fit, will probably regret that by half time when we're 2-0 down.

Wilbur

Banned
I've just seen last night's highlights.

Madrid looked great.

Ribery is a fucking pussy, and a cunt. That's as bad a reaction as I've seen on a football pitch when it comes to being a sore loser. And the little prick thought he deserved best player in the world hahaha. Get fucked, you kiddie fiddling frenchie.

What would you say our chances are now? I'm allowing myself a bit of optimism with Hazard and Terry being fit, will probably regret that by half time when we're 2-0 down.

Too close to call for me, it's going to be a super tight game. It's weird, obviously I want Chelsea to progress but I'm not going to be heartbroken or overly upset if they go out tonight.

I think it helps that I quite like the Atletico team, so even if they beat us tonight I would like to see them go on and win in the final.

Jack cw

I've just seen last night's highlights.

Madrid looked great.

Ribery is a fucking pussy, and a cunt. That's as bad a reaction as I've seen on a football pitch when it comes to being a sore loser. And the little prick thought he deserved best player in the world hahaha. Get fucked, you kiddie fiddling frenchie.

He does this every fucking year. Last year against Vidal, the year before that against Lopez... Time for UEFA to ban him, because that aggressive shit doesnt help anybody.

Wilbur

Banned
I think Mourinho's done a really great job this season. There's been some very big slip ups, but if I'm being honest overall I wouldn't rate the Chelsea squad much above ours. Similar level of goalkeepers, similar level of centre mids. Their wingers and defenders are a step above, but our strikers are.

For him to have them so close to the title and in the CL semi finals is expected, but that's because it's Mourinho and not because they have a sensational squad.

Go_Ly_Dow

I think Mourinho's done a really great job this season. There's been some very big slip ups, but if I'm being honest overall I wouldn't rate the Chelsea squad much above ours. Similar level of goalkeepers, similar level of centre mids. Their wingers and defenders are a step above, but our strikers are.

For him to have them so close to the title and in the CL semi finals is expected, but that's because it's Mourinho and not because they have a sensational squad.

I can imagine he expects 110% from every player every game. Anything less and you're out.

Blablurn

He does this every fucking year. Last year against Vidal, the year before that against Lopez... Time for UEFA to ban him, because that aggressive shit doesnt help anybody.

One might think he calmed down after winning the CL. Not really. He's still that rude Marseille player after all those years.

I wonder if its time to buy Draxler.

Blablurn

Hyq8W59.png

"Every wish from Pep will be granted. Bayern is looking for Top-Players. Money doesn't matter"

"The defense will get at least one star player. The price doesn't matter because they want to improve the quality. We will pay as much as needed."

Bayern earned 60m in the CL this year.

Rumored players are Laporte, Montoya (from Barca), Jose Angel (Sociedad) and David Luiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom