• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season is batshit insane.

Feel sorry for liverpool gaf. Next year will be much harder with possibly harder opponents and way more games. This was your big chance.

jtb

Banned
can't say I particularly like City but it's better than Jose "who cares if he's a cunt when he's so funny! ha! ha! ha!" Mourinho.

meh.

Thing is, the referees never add enough time.

Which makes the whole thing rather farcical.

If it takes more than 10 seconds between a player having the ball near him and his keeper taking the goal kick, the one who was pissing about gets booked

If a player spends more than a 2 minutes on the floor, they have to be subbed or stretchered off by force if necessary

Actually enforce the 7-second rule

It'd turn certain matches into a bit of a timekeeper's game, but better than nothing. Watching a ballboy throw it to a player, then the player deliberately fuck the catch up, take 5 seconds pissing about with it, passing it in the general direction of their keeper so he spends 10 seconds jogging to retrieve and place the ball, then a further 10 seconds lining up and taking the kick is ludicrous

Some goal kicks take like 30 seconds, whereas a team desperate to score can take them within 10

wedward

Liverpool have had a spectacular season all things considered. Should be very proud of that acheivement.

But this season was their chance. Not being able to take advantage of it is going to hurt.

Into

Devastating for Liverpool, they could have actually won the league last weekend mathematically or close enough. And now their chances are almost gone.

And now they are told to go play at Palace, a hard home team to go up against.

Mentally that has to be a mountain to climb for even professionals.

Mascot

Man City are the perfect poster boys for the EPL, a league where money is the most important thing and football comes second.

Feorax

This season is batshit insane.

Feel sorry for liverpool gaf. Next year will be much harder with possibly harder opponents and way more games. This was your big chance.

I get what you mean, but it's not like we aren't going to improve ourselves. A lot will come down to summer ambitions.

subtles

Neville calling Villa's players daft while explaining some of the results they've gotten when they were written off gives me hope.

We can do this, Wes.

jtb

Banned
Definitley Maybe is Oasis' only good album.

it is a damn good album though.

Man City are the perfect poster boys for the EPL, a league where money is the most important thing and football comes second.

this is literally every league in the history of ever.

MPW

I get what you mean, but it's not like we aren't going to improve ourselves. A lot will come down to summer ambitions.

suarez could be gone (psg or monaco), gerrard will be a year older

and yes, you will get $$$ to spend like spurs did after they sold bale but the players you buy may not end up doing well in EPL

3Sixty

From twitter

Best away day moment ever seeing @LukeShaw3 grab a burger king on the way home, mobbed by saints fans #offtobrazil

Bmux3R6IgAIOyyT.jpg

lollol

all that being said, amazing effort by LFC this season, theres no taking from that. But I seriously hope we fix our defence LB and RB and get Suarez scoring in big games.

pulga

Banned
Seriously Barca? Can't even beat Getafe at home? I know you guys don't wanna lend us a hand in the last game of the season (provided Atleti drops points before), but come the fuck on, show some cojones.

What else has transpired in here? Stuck doing a project management project.

Salvadora

It doesn't matter.

City will finish within 6 points of us at best, Chelsea within 4. That's a massive achievement in and of itself. Can't allow ourselves to be disappointed, otherwise what's the point of football if you can't be happy with such a meteoric improvement?
It's possible to be both.

Happy that you have challenged for the league and disappointed that you didn't win it.

No one would have predicted Arsenal would win it in the summer and we then subsequently spent months at the top. In fact, most thought we would drop out of the top 4 altogether. And yet, I'm disappointed with how events went this season (for the most part).

Seriously Barca? Can't even beat Getafe at home? I know you guys don't wanna lend us a hand in the last game of the season (provided Atleti drops points before), but come the fuck on, show some cojones.

but 75% possession

Marc

It doesn't matter.

City will finish within 6 points of us at best, Chelsea within 4. That's a massive achievement in and of itself. Can't allow ourselves to be disappointed, otherwise what's the point of football if you can't be happy with such a meteoric improvement?

Top 4 was an amazing achievement, truly. A miracle even and it has been downplayed way too much. However, you had the chance to win the title and it will be your best chance for a long time. Mourinho wins in his second year like clockwork, Pele is making his mark, United will have a world class manager, maybe Spurs will have someone competent running things too... you could lose Suarez to Real... Gerrard a year older. That will damage players, more older ones for sure like Gerrard.

Best British band of the past 50+ years. Their fucking duty.

What is going on? Are Oasis the only band that got played over there? 50+ years?

Dude.... they weren't even the best during their own time, managed to draw at best against fucking Blur.

while gerrards mistake will get to him (and the team) for ages the real cultprit is our dodgy defending, way too many let in.

Pretty much

'Who gives a shit about conceding silly goals when we're scoring 4 a game'

Those types of fans deserve this.

Hopefully, come the start of the WC, I'll look back on this season as an enjoyable one as I did 08/09, and that had a much worse end than this one will. At the moment though, all I can think about is what it could (and should imo) have been, rather than what it is.

If I was shown 10 doors and told that behind 5 of them was a slap-up Tikka Masala, behind 4 of them was nothing, and behind the other was a steak, I'd be disappointed with the steak at the time.

LTWheels

suarez coould be gone (psg or monaco)), gerrard will be a year older

and yes, you will get $$$ to spend like spurs did after they sold bale but the players you buy may not end up doing well

The only difference between us and spurs is that a much larger majority of their play came through Bale compared to Suarez. Bale pulled so many 'rabbits out of hat' for Spurs last season. A good proportion of our play does come through Sterling, Coutinho, and Sturridge.

Even if we lose Suarez, we will still have another 20 goal a season player.

The most important thing this summer is to add goals to our midfield as well as getting new fullbacks.

Into

Sports is all about narrative

United had a shit season, that has ruled them out of CL for a season, and sent the club spiraling into who knows what future. Liverpool have played some of the most exciting football in Europe

Yet the more disappointing season still goes to Liverpool, rather than say, Manure. That is how sports is and how cruel it can be.

Not sure that you should put much stock into Villa of all clubs, they have nothing to play for, safe from relegation.

MPW

lol barca is going to lose by at least 3 goals to atletico

lets be honest, title race is over

we need to focus on CL and win it

jtb

Banned
Spurs are the biggest losers from Liverpool's success, they' re in total disarray. this was their season to get their shit together and they completely blew it. Liverpool in the CL sets them back a good two or three years. At least.

I've heard LFC want Micah Ricards, Lallana and Coentrao this transfer window.

I'd be delighted with those second 2, ecstatic in fact. No chance Coentrao leaves though, he's had a renaissance recently and is playing to the standard I'd have hoped Rodgers would have coaxed out of him. He's boss.

Scum

What are you worried about Barca for? Fuck the league and look forward to CL.

I'd be delighted with those second 2, ecstatic in fact. No chance Coentrao leaves though, he's had a renaissance recently and is playing to the standard I'd have hoped Rodgers would have coaxed out of him. He's boss.

Yeah but I can still hope, that or get Shaw

If I was shown 10 doors and told that behind 5 of them was a slap-up Tikka Masala, behind 4 of them was nothing, and behind the other was a steak, I'd be disappointed with the steak at the time.

TBH I would be too, I hate steak.

United had a shit season, that has ruled them out of CL for a season, and sent the club spiraling into who knows what future. Liverpool have played some of the most exciting football in Europe

Yet the more disappointing season still goes to Liverpool, rather than say, Manure. That is how sports is and how cruel it can be.

Not sure that you should put much stock into Villa of all clubs, they have nothing to play for, safe from relegation.

Liverpool haven't had a disappointing season. A disappointing end.

United have had one of the worst in a couple of generations.

Not even comparable.

Lightning

Banned
Not sure why people think Everton didn't care about the game. Everton defended poorly against Southampton as well. It cost them last week and cost them again. Everton clearly wanted to score, just came against a very good team.

Still hopeful Gerrard's slip isn't the deciding moment as the guy deserves better than that.

18 seasons under Wenger: 18 top four finishes (3 titles)

18 seasons before Wenger: 6 top four finishes (2 titles)

#AFC
This is that perspective thing everyone forgets when discussing Arsene and what he's achieved. That doesn't include 4 FA cups, possibly 5 against Hull.

pulga

Banned
lol barca is going to lose by at least 3 goals to atletico

lets be honest, title race is over

we need to focus on CL and win it

yeah, i've come to terms with it a while ago

i just wish SOMETHING would extinguish the little flicker of hope I still have

maybe if we drop points to valencia i'll rest easier lol

VAMOS DECIMA!

Salvadora

Spurs are the biggest losers from Liverpool's success, they' re in total disarray. this was their season to get their shit together and they completely blew it. Liverpool in the CL sets them back a good two or three years. At least.
It's staggering when you think about it.

They've went from being losing out on Champions League Football by a hair, to this current state of affairs... and furthermore, they look to be hiring a relatively unproven manager from the Eredivisie. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence for the future.

Fergie

Banned

Don't think it's been that bad, one of the main goals was a UCL spot, they even did better and secured complete qualification.

Yeah but I can still hope, that or get Shaw

TBH I would be too, I hate steak.

tbh I'm not completely sure that Shaw is that good that it'd be worth spunking £30m on him right now. Think it's probably more viable to leave Flanagan there in the meanwhile and wait for a cheaper option to come up.

Shaw will be world class, but £30m is too much imo unless you have a £90m+ warchest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom