• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Into

Liverpool haven't had a disappointing season. A disappointing end.

United have had one of the worst in a couple of generations.

Not even comparable.

Id argue the average Liverpool fan will be far more heartbroken about this season after it ends and 5 years from now, than the average United fan who will just look at it as a transitional period, a forgetful year of lulz at worst.

They will remember it, in a negative way because of the ending. United fans will just brush it off, think they already have, its not a big deal.

wedward

It's staggering when you think about it.

They've went from being losing out on Champions League Football by a hair to this... and furthermore, they look to be hiring a relatively unproven manager from the Eredivisie. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence for the future.

Their best players will get tired of missing out in CL. Ericksen left a CL club for an EL club. He won't stand for that too long.

TBH I would be too, I hate steak.

-_-

Id argue the average Liverpool fan will be far more heartbroken about this season after it ends and 5 years from now, than the average United fan who will just look at it as a transitional period, a forgetful year of lulz at worst.
That depends on how the next 5 years pan out.

Right now a Liverpool fan has more reason to be optimistic than a United fan does.

GorillaJu

Sports is all about narrative

United had a shit season, that has ruled them out of CL for a season, and sent the club spiraling into who knows what future. Liverpool have played some of the most exciting football in Europe

Yet the more disappointing season still goes to Liverpool, rather than say, Manure. That is how sports is and how cruel it can be.

Not sure that you should put much stock into Villa of all clubs, they have nothing to play for, safe from relegation.

You are fucking kidding me with this shit. The season was massive success. We are now in Europe again, we will keep our best player and the owners will place their trust in the manager with a nice investment. Our young team has a year of experience, our play is continually improving and our manager looks more and more the real deal.

To even compare that to Man Utd, who have floundered out of European places, fired a manager and will once again uproot their back room staff, spent 65m on players who are better on the bench and regressed in every conceivable dimension, is some doicare-level logic stretching.

"More disappointing." Holy hell :lol

Chelsea and City, after the money they've spent and the effort Chelsea has gone through to stifle their rivals and sending a team to do nothing but defend, to not have the title wrapped up at least by this point, is much more of a disappointment.

You guys seriously crack me up. Perspective. Has some of it.

tbh I'm not completely sure that Shaw is that good that it'd be worth spunking £30m on him right now. Think it's probably more viable to leave Flanagan there in the meanwhile and wait for a cheaper option to come up.

Shaw will be world class, but £30m is too much imo unless you have a £90m+ warchest

guess that depends on the owners now, Rodgers showed he can do it, time for them to show they believe in him (and assuming Rodgers even wants him)

I cant stand steak, make it a katsu curry or loads of mini chops, even a kebab (chicken or lamb) and yeah i'd eat them

Into

You are fucking kidding me with this shit. The season was massive success. We are now in Europe again, we will keep our best player and the owners will place their trust in the manager with a nice investment. Our young team has a year of experience, our play is continually improving and our manager looks more and more the real deal.

To even compare that to Man Utd, who have floundered out of European places, fired a manager and will once again uproot their back room staff, spent 65m on players who are better on the bench and regressed in every conceivable dimension, is some doicare-level logic stretching.

"More disappointing." Holy hell :lol

Chelsea and City, after the money they've spent and the effort Chelsea has gone through to stifle their rivals and sending a team to do nothing but defend, to not have the title wrapped up at least by this point, is much more of a disappointment.

You guys seriously crack me up. Perspective. Has some of it.

Hey, if you are a Pool fan, and this is how you feel, then who am i tell you otherwise.

Id personally be heartbroken, far more than United fans who endured merely a transitional period.

Scum

Spurs are the biggest losers from Liverpool's success, they' re in total disarray. this was their season to get their shit together and they completely blew it. Liverpool in the CL sets them back a good two or three years. At least.

It's staggering when you think about it.

They've went from being losing out on Champions League Football by a hair, to this current state of affairs... and furthermore, they look to be hiring a relatively unproven manager from the Eredivisie. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence for the future.

Pfft! No offense to Man Utd GAF, but I'd say Man Utd have had it worse. From league winners and CL to potentially no European footie and Moyes fucking up their rep in a few months. D:

We don't deserve CL football.

jtb

Banned
did people forget just how awful Liverpool's last four league campaigns were? each and every one of those was a complete train wreck. you'd have to lose all sense of perspective to this season as anything other than a ridiculously great success beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

Hixx

Best British band of the past 50+ years. Their fucking duty.

Naaaaw

the_jam8fiej.jpg

Vard

Not sure why people think Suarez would leave 'pool this summer for another country. Next season he will be getting Champions League nights and his family (especially his daughter) loves the city. I just see there being no way he is transplanting his whole family to somewhere else at this point in time.

wedward

Not sure why people think Suarez would leave 'pool this summer for another country. Next season he will be getting Champions League nights and his family (especially his daughter) loves the city. I just see there being no way he is transplanting his whole family to somewhere else at this point in time.

Isn't his daughter like 5?

Most cities have parks and sandboxes.

LTWheels

Also John Henry has shown last summer what kind of owner he is. He gives no shits.

jtb

Banned
Pfft! No offense to Man Utd GAF, but I'd say Man Utd have had it worse. From league winners and CL to potentially no European footie and Moyes fucking up their rep in a few months. D:

We don't deserve CL football.

Utd have had a far worse season, but they have a ridiculous amount of spending power to make it right. Spurs don't have that luxury.

GorillaJu

Hey, if you are a Pool fan, and this is how you feel, then who am i tell you otherwise.

Id personally be heartbroken, far more than United fans who endured merely a transitional period.

I'm "heartbroken" in the sense that I want Stevie to have a PL trophy, I would have been thrilled to get the title but just being in the title race is enough of a thrill to me. Again it's just a matter of perspective. Don't forget that we didn't even control the title but for a few short weeks once Sunderland stuck a leg out and tripped City and Chelsea.

Into

He is probably the most desired forward in the world right now, and probably the best too. I imagine Madrid, Barca and the oil clubs will all try

I hope he stays with Pool and they add 1-2 world class players

Would love to see Pjanic at pool, to fuck up Roma, and because i think he would fit perfectly in.

Clegg

Utd have had a far worse season, but they have a ridiculous amount of spending power to make it right. Spurs don't have that luxury.
We have the money.

Bit more than a few us of have doubts about our competence to spend it correctly.

Facism

Gold Member
amazing day of football.

Sunderland and Aston Villa getting those results, Barcelona sinking to Wii U levels of hell.

Man City getting dem wins to win the league on goal difference in 2 weeks.

I'm still kind of astonished by how bad we were today. It was almost Fulham levels of incompetence.

Really hope I don't have to watch a lot of those players in a United shirt for much longer.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Seriously Barca? Can't even beat Getafe at home? I know you guys don't wanna lend us a hand in the last game of the season (provided Atleti drops points before), but come the fuck on, show some cojones.

What else has transpired in here? Stuck doing a project management project.
What can I say? The midgets conceded a stoppage time header, the title race is over and soon enough this undead aborted fetus of a season will thankfully be over.

GorillaJu

He is probably the most desired forward in the world right now, and probably the best too. I imagine Madrid, Barca and the oil clubs will all try

I hope he stays with Pool and they add 1-2 world class players

Would love to see Pjanic at pool, to fuck up Roma, and because i think he would fit perfectly in.

I just don't feel like Suarez will leave. Just don't feel like his business is done quite yet with Liverpool, so to speak. Needs a season with us in Europe.

I too would love to see Pjanic at LFC but there haven't been any whispers that I've heard pointing that way. Roma have been getting a lot of money for their players lately and have been kind of like a Porto-style selling club. We'd probably look at Rakitic first if we wanted a playmaker-type CM if nothing else than because he'd be half the price.

Yen

did people forget just how awful Liverpool's last four league campaigns were? each and every one of those was a complete train wreck. you'd have to lose all sense of perspective to this season as anything other than a ridiculously great success beyond anyone's wildest expectations.

11/12 was absolutely the worst season I've witnessed with Liverpool. Just dreadful. Spending about £60m in the summer and regressing from the season before. Adam, Downing, Carroll. And trying to convince yourself the squad was improving. Suarez-Evra, t-shirts.

Bristol Rovers got relegated out of the football league for the first time in their history. I think they're the only club to have never been out of the league or not in the top division.

People at my work on suicide watch...

Blackhead

Redarse
amazing day of football.

Man City getting dem wins to win the league on goal difference in 2 weeks.

In one week. I can't even hate on Man City. They've played some amazing football and to pip both Man Utd and Liverpool to titles on the last day (last kick) of the season on goal difference is fantastic entertainment. I still think there's one more twist in tale though.

GorillaJu

11/12 was absolutely the worst season I've witnessed with Liverpool. Just dreadful. Spending about £60m in the summer and regressing from the season before. Adam, Downing, Carroll. And trying to convince yourself the squad was improving. Suarez-Evra, t-shirts.

10/11 was worse because Hodsgon. There were some bright spots in 11/12. Ugh who am I kidding it was fucking awful wasn't it. 10/11 second half, the Suarez signing, the return of Kenny, was definitely a good time.

cremino

There have been clashes beetween Napoli fans and Fiorentina fans with 2 fans and an agent injured (one of them has a serious wound in the chest)...The match has been suspended

dc89

Huge win. Massive win. Two games to go.
This is far from over.

Pellegrini says Aguero may not play again this season.

I henceforth name him Kunjury.

subtles

Looking at some of the players we've had on our books in the last couple of seasons frightens me from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom