• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cesc-Busquets-Iniesta is better than most teams have. Can't believe they let Thiago go :lol
They really could use Kroos to replace Xavi. The guy is like a carbon copy, just bigger and blonde

Kroos is slower at circulating the ball. Thiago really was the perfect replacement.

Salazar

BmyTb53CEAAjzQp.jpg

Looks like they fished him out of a hotel bath filled with lager. Are we sure he's eating/sleeping right ?

Jarnet87

Fergie bought Nick Powell to strip him of any attacking instinct and turn him into a sideways passing fiend. Dat United midfield. Maybe van Gaal can get the best out of him.

Jack cw

Cesc-Busquets-Iniesta is better than most teams have. Can't believe they let Thiago go :lol
They really could use Kroos to replace Xavi. The guy is like a carbon copy, just bigger and blonde
I guess the Thiago deal was the best that could happen to Bayern. I still dont get why Barca let him go though.

kmax

I honestly don't see Ronaldo or Bale being able to accept Suarez. One thing Benz does exceptionally is that he's able to adapt to the ego's of the 2 of the biggest stars in modern football. Suarez would simply clash.

Bale doesn't have an ego. Ronaldo tho'.

Still, don't think that any of that will be a problem. Whoever comes will adapt to our style and play for the team.

Benz need some competition as his form is like a rollercoaster. Morata's not cutting it at all. I could see him being loaned out to Arsenal.

Elchele

I guess the Thiago deal was the best that could happen to Bayern. I still dont get why Barca let him go though.

Cesc was Tito's player in his time as youth coach at Barcelona. Basically Thiago left because Cesc was there, taking all the playing time away from him, so it wouldn't make any sense to drop Cesc now.

Doesn't Xavi think Koke is his successor?

:lol
All of Atlético's "xavi-replacements", Koke and Oliver Torres are now playing as wingers.

Clegg

They had no choice. They didn't play him enough and so his buyout clause was reduced from something ridiculous down to £20 something million.

Salazar

Giggs warns United not to rush the new manager ting.

Fuck off you uppity, unstylishly unkempt Welsh twat. Go and fucking dip your toe in the managerial swamp. You'll put on a dozen stone. The suits will slip to the back of your wardrobe. You'll buy a tracksuit. You'll buy seven tracksuits. You'll start sleeping in them.

And you'll taste relegation. And the chubbily beguiling X Factor lass you've just shagged and binned will text you mean quips about the fantasy that you could ever have been the United man. Fucking sick of yoga man.

Jarnet87

They didn't have a choice right? They forgot to play him enough triggering a buyout clause or a cheaper buyout clause, and Pep swooped right in.

Clegg

Fergie played Powell about 5 times. Don't see how you can say what the plan was for him. Most of the time for the u21 side he played behind the striker or as the front man. Same with Wigan.

faridmon

Fuck off you uppity, unstylishly unkempt Welsh twat. Go and fucking dip your toe in the managerial swamp. You'll put on a dozen stone. The suits will slip to the back of your wardrobe. You'll buy a tracksuit. You'll buy seven tracksuits. You'll start sleeping in them.

And you'll taste relegation. And the chubbily beguiling X Factor lass you've just shagged and binned will text you mean quips about the fantasy that you could ever have been the United man. Fucking sick of yoga man.

Whoa!

Man United not being top does bring the worst out of the fans. Isn't Giggs considered a legend?

Elchele

Actually we didn't pay the release-clause, we paid more because we have some kind of agreement with Barcelona to avoid "stealing" players from each other. We had to make a special agreement and so we paid more than the release fee for Thiago

Jack cw

Cesc was Tito's player in his time as youth coach at Barcelona. Basically Thiago left because Cesc was there, taking all the playing time away from him, so it wouldn't make any sense to drop Cesc now.
Cesc was playing striker most of the time because of the stacked midfield but I guess the rank order was Xavi -> Cesc -> Thiago
They had no choice. They didn't play him enough and so his buyout clause was reduced from something ridiculous down to £20 something million.
They didn't have a choice right? They forgot to play him enough triggering a buyout clause or a cheaper buyout clause, and Pep swooped right in.
In all seriousness but Barca made that contract and they can't tell me that they "forgot" about this detail. Thiago played a phenomenal U21 tornament and was on the list of many top clubs. A few minutes more and clouse would have been 90 million EUR...
Actually we didn't pay the release-clause, we paid more because we have some kind of agreement with Barcelona to avoid "stealing" players from each other. We had to make a special agreement and so we paid more than the release fee for Thiago

Yeah. Instead of 18 million, we paid 22 million.

You need a quick striker who can finish and stretch the play far more than your statues you have upfront.

Aren't that many options out there, Remy makes sense.

Oh and Nicholas Anelka would like a word.

But it's not like he's a prolific goal scorer, his stats are very unremarkable.

Forgot about Anelka I give you that. Didn't spend a lot of time at the club, had only one good goal scoring season, but helped us win the double.

Yes Sal!! This reminds me of this scene from Assassination of Jesse James.

"If you so much as mention my name to Jesse, Boyyyy... I'd find out about it. You had better believe that...and I'll look you up, I'll knock on your door, and I will be as mad as a hornet...I will be hot"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76_nIuIfNEA

Wilbur

Banned

I'm genuinely spluttering the last few drops of oxygen I have left in my body

Meier

Don't think there's anything out of the ordinary from Rodgers' comments.

It came across as very petty -- just the tip of the iceberg on his bitchy responses lately. City won 8 games in a row in the PL earlier this season and we dicked Spurs, Plzen and Swansea 10-2 in a 7 day period. I get it, he's trying to "pile on the pressure" but the pressure isn't on City in this case -- it's sitting on his and Gerrard's shoulders. Sure they've overachieved and had a wonderful season, but the story line will be that they blew it if they don't win at this point and anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves.

He should be worrying about his own team and their performances rather than talking about winning being "a wee bit new" for the team with the best record in the PL over the last 3 seasons. This is a team who won 6 in a row to win the title 2 seasons prior.

Yen

Right now Meier, the pressure is on City. The title is theirs to lose. Rodgers is clearly trying to ramp up the pressure more.

Jack cw

Wonder how Gotze felt as he saw Dortmund be beaten like that. Wonder if he has any regrets now that he's warming the bench for Bayern.

230k a week might help him to come over this.
I'm pretty sure he will replace Ribery next season and he will play the cup final against Dortmund as starter.
don't see how it helped us winning the CL. Gotze was injured anyway.

It caused a disturbance at Dortmund.

Meier

Right now Meier, the pressure is on City. The title is theirs to lose. Rodgers is clearly trying to ramp up the pressure more.

There is no pressure. The games are at home against inferior opponents. There may be some complacency but all he's doing is providing bulletin board material.

L1NETT

But it's not like he's a prolific goal scorer, his stats are very unremarkable.

Forgot about Anelka I give you that. Didn't spend a lot of time at the club, had only one good goal scoring season, but helped us win the double.

A goal every other game in the prem is a fucking good return i'd say.

I think the move makes perfect sense

Elchele

if City lose the title, will pellegrini be fired?

they kept Mancini for God knows how long despite being CLEARLY shit, I doubt they are going to fire Pellegrini for finishing second in his first season, and finally get the team out of group stage in CL.

Fergie played Powell about 5 times. Don't see how you can say what the plan was for him. Most of the time for the u21 side he played behind the striker or as the front man. Same with Wigan.

Nick only played as a striker for the u21s because Gohan, Macheda, etc... went out on loan. United had no striker so they put him up there often switching with Januzaj. Then he became injured and missed the rest of the season, which resulted in Lingard/Januzaj as the main striker for the rest of the season.

His time was almost equally split between midfield, in the hole, or as a striker. I'm going to guess that he spent a little more time in midfield for the reserves. He played in midfield this season for the reserves too, although that was a really short stint before going out on loan to Wigan.

Meier

if City lose the title, will pellegrini be fired?

No, I don't think so. If Guardiola said Fuck Bayern, I want to take over right this minute, then maybe Txiki and Ferran would have to give it some thought. Otherwise, I would say there's no chance. He has the team playing in exactly the style that the hierarchy desires and other than his outburst against the ref after the Barca game, he has been a much better face for the club than Mancini. If we can keep him from leaving to coach a senior club, I wouldn't be surprised if Vieira takes over down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom