• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.
safrjy5w.gif

:lol fuck

PowderedToast

this narrative that it's our "last chance" is nonsense. before every new season it is said that teams will "improve" and competition will "get stronger". the truth is, every team will always have flaws and be imperfect. going off what we've achieved with this thin squad that no one gave any hope of challenging, do people really think we won't compete again?

had we not lost henderson we'd have won the league by now. oh well.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
this narrative that it's our "last chance" is nonsense. before every new season it is said that teams will "improve" and competition will "get stronger". the truth is, every team will always have flaws and be imperfect. going off what we've achieved with this thin squad that no one gave any hope of challenging, do people really think we won't compete again?

If you keep Suarez and sign 3 or 4 quality players then for sure you'll be in the mix again. Don't underestimate the drain of the CL though, when Spurs had to try to juggle league and CL we weren't able to do it, despite adding Van Der Vaart and Sandro.

Most likely Chelsea will add Costa on top of their defence, they'll be the favourites next year.

sohois

It is pretty ridiculous, given that City and Chelsea spent about £100 million this season and yet still City were only just able to pip Liverpool, whilst Chelsea remain in 3rd. Margins at the top are pretty tight and I don't see any team soaring way off out of reach

DominoKid

for the title? not next year.

sohois

for the title? not next year.

But based on what? You can - and should - not have Liverpool as favourites, but still one would generally expect a team that came in second to be in the mix for the title. Collapses like United now or Liverpool in 09 are rare.

Walshy

Well then, we threw it away in the end in true 'lollerpool' circumstances and it was all over a delusional idea that we could make-up a massive goal difference deficit on City. In the aftermath, Carragher and Nevile put it perfectly, you cannot expect to win the title with the glaring defensive frailties which have been there all season.

Rodgers going ghung-ho at 3-1 was suicide, and surely this is now the end of Lucas and Johnson's Liverpool careers. The squad as a whole has some massive holes in it: the lack of depth and the question marks surrounding Sakho, Mignolet and Skrtel.

Skrtel has been our best defender this season, however it's evident from one clean sheet in seventeen matches with Sakho that they are not a good partnership, however Skrtel has had some shocking games at the back this season, especially the Hull away game. Rodgers does not seem to rate Agger, and rumours are that he is Barcelona bound anyhow. Toure has cost us as well at times, specifically the lead against West Brom. I'll be very shocked if he is a Liverpool player next season.

Now to the full-backs. Enrique is a non-entity this season. Cissokho is a worse left back than Djimi Traore was, however Johnsons dip in form from November has been astounding and surely will be moved on in the Summer.

Lucas hasn't reached the level he has post injury, and was like a passenger for large times today, mostly carried by the superb Joe Allen. Mignolet there is huge question marks over - he is a great shot-stopper, however his leadership at the back is really questionable, and in addition his distribution and his awkwardness at dealing with crosses into the box make me think he isn't a good enough keeper for a top three side. He'll be exposed in Europe next season if he's still first choice.

On the plus side, we have Sturridge and Suarez, who are both utterly phenomenal. Sterling has been exceptional this season, as has Flanagan, Gerrard, Allen and Henderson.

We need a huge injection of quality in the defence in the summer as well as quality additions to the squad. Champions don't throw away 3-0 leads to sides like Palace and Swansea or concede goals the way we do.

Congratulations to dc and co in this thread, you guys are deserved champions in the end.

Yes they will.

Get a solid LB and a good DM and some more depth and Lpool will up top battling with everyone else.

Summer is gonna be crazy for signings and speculation.

Get French Football ‏@GFN_France 33m

L'Equipe - PSG FFP punishments:
1) Wage Bill Restrictions
2) €60m fine
3) #UCL squad size limit (21)
4) Transfer controls #PSG #FFP

Get French Football ‏@GFN_France 33m

L'Equipe: Marco Verratti, Javier Pastore, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Edinson Cavani could all leave PSG to make way for new players. #PSG

Heh.

I reckon Liverpool are "back" now but I doubt they'll be able to play in this same open and almost reckless style and put up a title challenge.

Obviously all depends on who they sign and how the team adapt and progress.

I think they'll safely finish in the top 4, though.

Depending on the wage bill reduction I think that could be pretty solid stuff from UEFA, or at least better than I thought they'd manage.

Of course I can't see any of this standing up in court since pretty much every lawyer who speaks on the topic says it's won't.

Well, no, Du Pont says it won't. And Du Pont is looking to get paid.

Be wary of lawyers freely giving their opinion that FFP won't hold up to EU law scrutiny. They are looking for an enormous pay day. Even if they fail.

norinrad

The only way to extend the cruelty for Liverpool, is for City to draw with Villa, give them some hope, and still win on goal difference

Not at any point have i been convinced by Squirtle, Agger, Johnson, Lucas etc, they have played there for years and people seem to just assume that they are good enough. Well shit, clearly they arent, not just Crystal match but entire season.

When Terry, Vidic, Rio, whoever the hell is playing for Arsenal, since its a revolving door, fuck up, the fans get at them. But these Liverpool players just get off easy, its just commonly accepted that the attack will bail them out - a terrible mindset. The stupid, idiotic "COME ON LADS!" and "We will score more than you!" puts insane pressure on far more talented players like Suarez, while jokers like Squirtle and the rest back there put in middling performances.

I see the Ringo Starr analogy in this post.

Well, no, Du Pont says it won't. And Du Pont is looking to get paid.

Be wary of lawyers freely giving their opinion that FFP won't hold up to EU law scrutiny. They are looking for an enormous pay day. Even if they fail.
Sorry you've lost me.

You mean the lawyers want clubs to pay em, so they're saying they'll make sure it doesn't impact them?

Edit - Ah, I see your edit.

I read something this week about City never mentioning "FFP" in any statements or reports so as to not legitimise it.

Sorry you've lost me.

You mean the lawyers want clubs to pay em, so they're saying they'll make sure it doesn't impact them?

Edit - Ah, I see your edit.

I read something this week about City never mentioning "FFP" in any statements or reports so as to not legitimise it.

Yeah basically. They're inviting clubs to retain them to fight FFP in the EU courts, which would be an extremely lengthy and highly lucrative case regardless of how it ends up.

subtles

I've lost count of the number of times our defense has been carved open this season

after comfortably going into a commanding position

-.-

I hope City throw it away.

sohois

There's a fundamental issue with challenging FFP legally which is that the Champions League is essentially a private competition. Even if you can get fines and wage restrictions thrown out of court, they cannot compel UEFA to include teams in the Champions League.

There's a fundamental issue with challenging FFP legally which is that the Champions League is essentially a private competition. Even if you can get fines and wage restrictions thrown out of court, they cannot compel UEFA to include teams in the Champions League.

That and (I could be wrong on this) but don't teams need to essentially agree to FFP to be part of the CL? Not sure how a court would look upon a team agreeing to a private system like FFP then turning around and challenging its legality.

sohois

That and (I could be wrong on this) but don't teams need to essentially agree to FFP to be part of the CL? Not sure how a court would look upon a team agreeing to a private system like FFP then turning around and challenging its legality.

Teams need to agree to rules to be part of a competition, really, and FFP is just another of those rules.

norinrad

I still think city could choke when all they need is one win and one draw in their last two games. City could still choke and hand it over to Liv.

Turok_TTZ

The fuck happened? Is Lollerpool back?

quite frankly, anyone losing to Mourinho twice in the league doesn't deserve to win the league period. You can't beat Mou, how do you expect to beat the other teams in the EPL?

Also, David Moyes getting sacked changed everything for a lot of teams. Dat Moyes Influence.

PowderedToast

At home vs sides with nothing to play for?

I can't see it.
at this point sides like having a say in the title challenge. you'd argue palace also had nothing to play for last night but they relished the opportunity to influence things.

west ham definitely fit that bill, if not villa

Walshy

at this point sides like having a say in the title challenge. you'd argue palace also had nothing to play for last night but they relished the opportunity to influence things.

west ham definitely fit that bill, if not villa
Well we'd need Villa or West Ham to beat City away.

It's unlikely, we threw it away last night.

I'd be shocked if they do. Would make the fines double punishments in effect.

I think it would actually serve as a punishment then. Forcing them to cut their spending through fines would probably make them take FFP seriously. They should be able to see with the sponsorship deals these two clubs set up that ultimately it won't be the clubs that are paying these fines. So what's the point if they just let that happen? It might not even act as a deterrent.

Lightning

Banned
Wilshere to start against Norwich? Bugger.

Cesc being linked to Arsenal again I see. I still see the same issues with this as last time. Where does he play? False no 9 he sucks, wing he sucks, so squad depth but that will be a problem. Ozil won't tolerate bench, Fabregas won't tolerate bench and Ramsey doesn't deserve the bench and I suspect as soon as he's benched there will be a queue of clubs trying to unsettle him. Ozil not a good wing either despite being able to play there and Ramsey is crap on the wing.

Fabregas is world class but I think a rock dm will help us more than another ball playing attacking midfielder. Ozil, Cazorla, Ramsey, Wilshere and we need more? Not for me. Love Cesc but should stay at Barca. Iniesta can't play forever.

Reports in France say Sagna will join Chelsea or Man City this summer on a free transfer: http://t.co/dW4CaZ2QBg http://t.co/HBoy44r5uG
Chelsea? No Sagna. You will be forever an A class cunt if you do that.

kmax

I'm watching the game again.

Why the hell is pool playing the same kind of offensive minded football when they're up 3-0?
The defence is glaringly open for the opponents, who took advantage of Pool's weak defence like a boss. Johnson and Co are absolute shit in the back, and no midfielders are seen when it's time to defend.

They look legitimately shook after that second goal.

Suarez reaction says it all, too.

Suarez_crying.gif

Suarez_still_crying.gif

Blablurn

2,w=658,c=0.bild.jpg

Schalke is basically doing the same as Bayern. Just one level lower. Like we buy all the Dortmund players they buy all the Leverkusen players lol.

Plasma

Banned
Chelsea? No Sagna. You will be forever an A class cunt if you do that.

I'd be annoyed if he went to either of them but it's our own fault. Should have offered him a better deal earlier and shouldn't have only offered him a one year contract. He's been one of our most loyal players over the years and the club didn't pay him back for that.

dc89

I need to catch up with the thread from last night. I watched the game up until Liverpool scored and then I put a movie on, totally unaware of the football. I didn't even check the score until way after full time.

Then I went in WhatsApp...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom