• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy

maybe with time but coming from a bench in france isnt exactly the best criteria
yeah :/ Id say he lacks experience to be that though
He was the captain of Paris when he was 21, he has done it before however we do need to give him time.

I wish we could spend silly money on getting someone like Mangala or Benatia
Language barrier :p

Whoever you stick next to Skrtel suffers in organization for some reason.
I have noticed this. Skrtel for all his good performances this season has been quite erratic.

bjaelke

Martyn Ziegler @martynziegler
Man City's FFP sanctions: 21-man CL squad instead of 25; 60m euro fine over 3 years; no rise in CL squad wage bill allowed. Same as for PSG.

He was the captain of Paris when he was 21, he has done it before however we do need to give him time.

I have noticed this. Skrtel for all his good performances this season has been quite erratic.

I think it's close to impossible impossible to know where to position yourself when your partner seems to have no clear patterns to his play.

Sometimes he'll hold back, sometimes he'll sprint forward to try and win it on the halfway line
Sometimes he'll jockey a player away from the box, sometimes he'll lunge in
Sometimes he'll jump 9 feet in the air and produce a mammoth header, sometimes he'll just haul the striker down
Sometimes he'll look nervous on the ball, sometimes he turns into Agger

Like, imagine what was going through Sakho's head when he noticed that Gayle was just stood in an acre of space on the edge of the box because Skrtel had tried winning an impossible ball 30 yards from goal. You can't prepare for that shit.

GorillaJu

It's really hard to find players like that, and those that have appeared that way (like Mertesacker) don't just come instantly and bed in. People used to think Mertesacker was the worst defender at any top PL team, it took him a full year to settle.

Sakho is technically proficient, strong and aggressive, but I think his age is preventing him from being as solid mentally as we need. That said, defending well isn't only about your defenders. I think our midfield, especially Stevie, have trouble dealing with numbers in attack.

Chelsea are an example of a team who know exactly how to take the sting out of a game. However I never, ever want to see Liverpool play football the way Chelsea did(n't) at Anfield. I'd be embarrassed as a fan to see my team play for throw-ins and time-wasting opportunities.

We need to be able to switch modes, and do it much better than we have done.

pappe

We already have reasonable depth at fullback, it's just that none of them are good enough to be first 11 imo. I like Flanagan, but he's not quite at that standard

RB: Johnson, Flanagan, Kelly
LB: Flanagan, Enrique, Cissokho

As it stands, Cissokho is definitely gone, Johnson is not good enough, and Kelly may as well not exist. Enrique is a decent second choice LB, but he's been injured for ages.

Wisdom takes the second choice RB and 5th choice CB role, making Kelly redundant.

Then we need a first choice LB and RB. Sell 2, release 1, buy 2 and recall 1.

Centreback will be a problem though. Might even keep Toure around just because he's worth nothing in the transfer market, and we won't want to replace 2 CBs in the same window
Basically you need a complete overhaul of defense and need back ups at cm and wings. Similar to United except we need first choice Cms, defense and wingers. damn!

subtles

I just feel that our attack has gotten progressively better as we solved issues on the training ground (the most prominent of which was set pieces) but the defense hasn't followed that same trajectory. I think more can be defined on the training ground re; the role of each player in certain situations.

It's really hard to find players like that, and those that have appeared that way (like Mertesacker) don't just come instantly and bed in. People used to think Mertesacker was the worst defender at any top PL team, it took him a full year to settle.

Sakho is technically proficient, strong and aggressive, but I think his age is preventing him from being as solid mentally as we need. That said, defending well isn't only about your defenders. I think our midfield, especially Stevie, have trouble dealing with numbers in attack.

Chelsea are an example of a team who know exactly how to take the sting out of a game. However I never, ever want to see Liverpool play football the way Chelsea did(n't) at Anfield. I'd be embarrassed as a fan to see my team play for throw-ins and time-wasting opportunities.

We need to be able to switch modes, and do it much better than we have done.

All we had to do was start playing short passes around midfield and defense for 5 minutes at 3-1. Remove their momentum, don't risk being countered, see if any oppurtunities present themselves. Sting gone. Sometimes you have to play negatively, even if only for a few minutes

What we shouldn't have done is throw 8 players forward for a corner against a team who had momentum, pace and energy

Speaking of energy, why did they look so much fitter than us when they've played the same number of games as us? Momentum doesn't explain players looking like they're running through treacle

GorillaJu

All we had to do was start playing short passes around midfield and defense for 5 minutes at 3-1. Remove their momentum, don't risk being countered, see if any oppurtunities present themselves. Sting gone. Sometimes you have to play negatively, even if only for a few minutes

What we shouldn't have done is throw 8 players forward for a corner against a team who had momentum, pace and energy

Speaking of energy, why did they look so much fitter than us when they've played the same number of games as us? Momentum doesn't explain players looking like they're running through treacle

First point: Pulis isn't an idiot. He knows how to deal with teams who pass the ball around in their own half. Stoke killed us last year by waiting for the third pass and then pressing, causing panic and capitalizing on our errors.

Third point: again, this is a Pulis team vs a Rodgers team. They probably looked fit because they run up hills and train cardio and endurance while our players do ball work and passing drills.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I am crushed

Ynwa

I can't believe this season

1T0sJ9b.gif

King_Moc

Banned
So this FFP stuff just amounts to a tax on the rich then? 60m euros is nothing to these teams. They're probably happy about the fact that they can continue to just buy success, albeit at a slightly increased price.

Oh do one Greg Dyke

Our lower leagues are among the best supported and most entertaining lower leagues in the world. What on earth will B teams solve? Diluting the lower leagues with teams who don't care about winning, hoovering up and creating monopolies on youth players; destroying any hope of clubs becoming the next Crewe all in an misguided effort to chase the foreign leagues.

The reason we aren't bringing through young players is due to a chronic lack of good coaches, facilities, the ease big clubs can steal more talented foreigners and a balked loan system you fucking snail Dyke not because Chelsea and Arsenal B team aren't in League fucking two.

Go away

This. Especially bolded. The best footballing facilities in England are being used to train foreign players (Januzaj for example).

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Ever since Moyes left Football has slowly been coming back, such tears

Except for losing to Sunderland that was a blip

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
We are gonna enter league cup one round earlier next year.

The shame of it :(

Our goal is to leave every cup competition as early as possible and do a Liverpool except win the league

LegoArmo

It's amazing to me that former Arsenal captains can be so readily linked to moving to Man Utd. RVP leaving was bad, but Cesc?

It's unthinkable. His effigy will be burned every Saturday in the stands

You didn't see United fans getting upset when Mikel Silvestre signed for Arsenal. Seems like a one way rivalry.

Walshy

Major problem for City next season will be the lack of English players within the squad with the new UEFA restrictions that have been imposed on them.

8 homegrown players needed within a 21 man squad.

Feorax

Amazing how many people who've never posted in here before have suddenly turned up to gloat. I'm all for expanding the community but fucking hell guys...

Btw, did anyone find out what happened to the fan of ours in the away end that had the seizure? Sounded really fucked up.

Major problem for City next season will be the lack of English players within the squad with the new UEFA restrictions that have been imposed on them.

8 homegrown players needed within a 21 man squad.
Damn that's a good point. 4 filler spots out the door.

Wage bill restriction also a bummer. Wages only going up and up nowadays, players on progressive contracts too.

Amazing how many people who've never posted in here before have suddenly turned up to gloat. I'm all for expanding the community but fucking hell guys...

Btw, did anyone find out what happened to the fan of ours in the away end that had the seizure? Sounded really fucked up.
Eh - that's just football. Gotta deal.

Sounds bad for the fan, hopefully he's alright.

Mascot

I have a strong feeling City will lose tomorrow.

Like, Japan 2002 strength of feeling, not felt for 12 years.

Hope exists.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I have a strong feeling City will lose tomorrow.

Like, Japan 2002 strength of feeling, not felt for 12 years.

Hope exists.

Villa are totally safe, have a huge cloud hanging over the owner and manager and Benteke is injured. They'll crumble.

Walshy

Damn that's a good point. 4 filler spots out the door.

Wage bill restriction also a bummer. Wages only going up and up nowadays, players on progressive contracts too.
It doesn't help either that their only home grown players are: Milner, Richards, Hart, Lescott, Rodwell, Wright, Boyata and Nimley.

Out of that bunch, you'd expect Richards and Lescott to leave at the end of the season. Milner is in the last year of his contract. Rodwell might leave as well.

The two youngsters won't feature in the squad next season as you can't have filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom