• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1NETT

The fact people still think the Glazer's are even close to being good owners is just depressing.

Many of them United fans too.

Agreed, but in comparison to other lunatic owners who march into clubs and start changing names, the club colours and in some cases bankrupting them (then vanishing or going toail) they probably don't seem so bad

Julen Lopetegui, who guided Spain to the U19 2011 European Chanpionship and the U21 2013 European Championship titles, will be presented as the new Porto coach in the next 30 min.

GorillaJu

Sunderlona. I'm impressed.

Just look at the lack of aggression from United. Every player out there just shuffles into the general vacinity and watches the ball go past them, back and forth. It's like they're daring Sunderland to have a go... except they're already losing 0-1 at their home ground.

I still don't think they will, they seem to delegate and take a back seat, rarely even see them in Manchester.

I guess it all comes down to how you look at football in general, United are a business, and the business is doing very well, so you could say they were a success. They might sell eventually, make a hell of a lot of profit, and United will still be in a great position.

This summer could be the first real test in terms of investment.
They get other people do their dirty work for them. It's easy to stay in the shadows when everything is running smoothly and take credit for it. They haven't done much to improve the club at all. They've damaged it across the board.

Agreed, but in comparison to other lunatic owners who march into clubs and start changing names, the club colours and in some cases bankrupting them (then vanishing or going toail) they probably don't seem so bad
Yeah they're not mental, I'll give them that.

Hixx

Sunderland won their first Premier League game against West Brom - 4-0 at the Stadium of Light in December 2008 - but are winless in the eight league meetings since (L7, D1).

PANIC

@Pool fans, if I could offer you a guarantee that we'd concede 38 goals next season, with the proviso that we don't make any signings in attacking positions, would you take it?

Kyoufu

Just look at the lack of aggression from United. Every player out there just shuffles into the general vacinity and watches the ball go past them, back and forth. It's like they're daring Sunderland to have a go... except they're already losing 0-1 at their home ground.

It's almost as if they accepted defeat.

I suspect this was the case when the squad learned of Moyes getting the job.

Scum

And they did, but it came back off the crossbar.

Blablurn

in case you want to see the best team in the world

TybZyJ0.png

Nicktendo86

I don't really understand how it's legal to essentially use a club's own money to pay for your takeover

I just don't get it. Hey, why can't I put a bid in for the club? I'm good for the money, honest, I mean I will leverage the debt against the club and cripple it with interest payments, but I am totally good for it. Fucking cunts.

Scum

@Pool fans, if I could offer you a guarantee that we'd concede 38 goals next season, with the proviso that we don't make any signings in attacking positions, would you take it?

You want to lose 1-0 @ home and 1-0 away to each team over the course of the season? Hitch? pls,

LegoArmo

They get other people do their dirty work for them. It's easy to stay in the shadows when everything is running smoothly and take credit for it. They haven't done much to improve the club at all. They've damaged it across the board.

If what they planned to do was stay successful while servicing a huge debt, they've managed it. Or, Ferguson managed it. All the while accruing lucrative marketing, and sponsorship deals to push the clubs revenue astronomically high, they've managed that.

I just think there's too many buts and ifs with the alternatives, yes, United would have had more money over the past 10 years, but would they have had more when this is all over and the debt is gone?

I think they're good businessmen, and the club's in a very stable condition. It's not a Hicks and Gillette situation, or a Vincent Tan madhouse. The grass isn't always greener.

Salvadora

Ferguson looks more and more like a miracle worker since he's left. Consider what would have happened to United if they didn't have massive amounts of success with the huge Glazer debts.

If what they planned to do was stay successful while servicing a huge debt, they've managed it. Or, Ferguson managed it. All the while accruing lucrative marketing, and sponsorship deals to push the clubs revenue astronomically high, they've managed that.

I just think there's too many buts and ifs with the alternatives, yes, United would have had more money over the past 10 years, but would they have had more when this is all over and the debt is gone?

I think they're good businessmen, and the club's in a very stable condition. It's not a Hicks and Gillette situation, or a Vincent Tan madhouse. The grass isn't always greener.
Huh?

Too many ifs and buts. What are those ifs and buts? We've spent £100m paying for them some years.

Unless you think nobody else could make money out of a club like Man United of course were worse off. The alternative was fine. We had a good team, no debt, and were the worlds richest club. None of those are true anymore.

I wonder what Murdoch would've done to us if he'd managed to buy United.

Surely he'd have had to sell his stake in Sky for that to happen?

Not sure what rule it'd actually be breaking, but it would be strange for the figurehead of one of the league's main financiers to own one of it's clubs.

LegoArmo

Huh?

Too many ifs and buts. What are those ifs and buts? We've spent £100m paying for them some years.

Unless you think nobody else could make money out of a club like Man United of course were worse off. The alternative was fine. We had a good team, no debt, and were the worlds richest club. None of those are true anymore.

Mismanagement of a business isn't necessarily always about money, a lot could be different, we'll never know.

Like I said, they didn't get involved, they let Ferguson do his job, and he seems to respect them at least.

Owner fallouts with the manager, premature sackings, Sky Sports Stadium, purchasing players the manager has no interest in for the "brand". Overspending, even.

When it all goes wrong, and I look like a complete and utter idiot, I'll be right with you protesting, but until then, they've done okay.

King_Moc

Banned

Not sure what rule it'd actually be breaking, but it would be strange for the figurehead of one of the league's main financiers to own one of it's clubs.

Well, that's exactly why he wasn't allowed to. I think it was the monopolies and mergers commission that blocked it.

Fintan

I think PSG's owner also owns beIN sports who have the Ligue 1 rights in certain countries. No one seems to make a big deal out of that for whatever reason.

Clegg

I'm excited for Gahl to bear witness to the filth and the malaise in our team tonight. The reckoning is close.
If he's at the stadium tonight then I hope that during one of our inevitable fuck uos the camera zooms on him laughing his bollocks off.

Then we'll know we're in business.

Jarnet87

City should keep Sinclair and rodwell, those are two englishmen content with sitting on the bench and getting paid. City should buy Ashley you as we'll, he's happy collecting a nice paycheck and producing as much from the bench as he does on the pitch

Nicktendo86

I won't be happy unless Raas is in the stands, gets up, drops his trousers and lays his bollocks on Fergie's head before shouting at Rooney to fuck off.

The fact people still think the Glazer's are even close to being good owners is just depressing.

Many of them United fans too.

I think there are two separate arguments here. There is absolutely no doubt that they have been bad for the club due to the leveraged takeover.
On the other hand as owners (if you discount what they did to takeover the club) they have been fine, leaving the football side to those that understand it, and only dirtying their hands with the commercial side where they've been successful.

Much of this is due to Fergie and Gill, and I'm sure plenty other owners would have been just as good on both counts, without the horrendous debts, but I can see the point some are trying to make.

City should keep Sinclair and rodwell, those are two englishmen content with sitting on the bench and getting paid. City should buy Ashley you as we'll, he's happy collecting a nice paycheck and producing as much from the bench as he does on the pitch

I'd do Sinclair's job for half the wages

L1NETT

WJD gives you a genuine ITK and nobody cares

Yet one sniff of a rumour that United accidentally clicked on Kroos' facebook page and you are all wanking yourselves silly

smh

Thanks for the heads up WJD, us League Onners appreciate it

Imagine if 20 minutes in, he threw his arms in the air, left in a huff and was overheard saying 'fuck that'

I honestly wouldn't blame him.

If he's at the stadium tonight then I hope that during one of our inevitable fuck uos the camera zooms on him laughing his bollocks off.

Then we'll know we're in business.

"Who's that cunt?! Number 23!! You're a fucking coward!! Coward!! Cunt!! Fuck yourself!!"

velociraptor

It's amazing to me that former Arsenal captains can be so readily linked to moving to Man Utd. RVP leaving was bad, but Cesc?

It's unthinkable. His effigy will be burned every Saturday in the stands

I thought there is a clause in his contract that would allow Arsenal to buy Cesc back if Barcelona accept Manchester United's interest? Do we not have first refusal?

Cesc to Manchester United... fuck me... that would hurt.

Manchester United will be playing in the Europa League next season. No self-respecting footballer would want to go there.

we should buy Cesc just so that no one else can get him

Part of me really hopes you get him. Just so we can sit here this time next year while Arsenal fans whine about why they didn't bring in a top class striker last summer as they fail to win anything for another year..

If you think Arsenal will buy Cesc and a world class striker then I have this really fucking rad looking bridge and it's going for a bargain price.

EmiPrime

Huh?

That sums it up. MU are paying £70 million a year on interest alone because of the Glazer takeover, for comparison Arsenal pay £19 million a year to pay off the stadium debt. If I remember correctly the Glazers had the chance to pay off a massive chunk of the debt (if not all of it?) through share sales but instead of doing that they pocketed all the money for themselves. I don't like MU at all but I sympathise with the fans having to watch their club fall away because of a greedy family who could not care less. Without the champions league money what happens next? I think those expecting hundreds of millions of pounds to be invested in a rebuilding might be disappointed.

Part of me really hopes you get him. Just so we can sit here this time next year while Arsenal fans whine about why they didn't bring in a top class striker last summer as they fail to win anything for another year..

If you think Arsenal will buy Cesc and a world class striker then I have this really fucking rad looking bridge and it's going for a bargain price.

You say 'another year' like they won't win the FA Cup this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom