• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Serie A side AC Milan want want to sign on-loan midfielder Adel Taarabt, 24, but are not prepared to meet QPR's £4m asking price.

£4m. £4m. What is wrong with Italian clubs.

pulga

Banned
Serie A side AC Milan want want to sign on-loan midfielder Adel Taarabt, 24, but are not prepared to meet QPR's £4m asking price.

£4m. £4m. What is wrong with shitty mid table Italian clubs.

fixed that for you, thank you very much

Wilbur

Banned
The Watford coaching staff of 2008-09 have enjoyed a remarkable season in 2013-14. Back then at Vicarage Road, Brendan Rodgers was manager, Sean Dyche a coach and Mark Warbuton youth team boss. This season Rodgers could win the Premier League, Dyche has managed Burnley to promotion and Warburton has got Brentford out of League One.

Meier

It's my birthday. They sent me money
Finally I will be able to buy food for the whole month and buy some new clothing

YES MOYES

edit: university monthly fee is now $190. I can't pay that much for this shit education. Tomorrow I will go talk to the director of the career, I need dem scholarships

$1....9...0?? I feel sick. You can't wipe your ass for that little at a US university.

Meier

Some clubs run on a budget.

When you are 10th biggest club in the world in revenue and make over €260m in revenue, then I think you can spring for €5m on a player you think will improve your team. He's their 3rd best scorer (4) in 11 games -- only Kaka (7) and Balotelli (14) have more goals.

cremino

When you are 10th biggest club in the world in revenue and make over €260m in revenue, then I think you can spring for €5m on a player you think will improve your team. He's their 3rd best scorer (4) in 11 games -- only Kaka (7) and Balotelli (14) have more goals.

Galliani and Berlusconi are Milan problems. The club just need a new owner or at least a new CEO.

jtb

Banned
Taarabt is only 24? feels like he's been around forever

also just because he's scored goals for Milan doesn't necessarily make him a good purchase. he's such a limited, flawed player. it's not just opportunity cost in terms of money (of which Milan clearly are in a period of extreme austerity) but also footballing terms too. can't really blame Milan on that one.

Meier

I'm watching the video for Everybody Wants to Rule the World and it's just hit me that Jojo is kind of a dead ringer for Curt Smith (when he had hair).

3823197547_b3aff5dd9d.jpg

stevan-jovetic-457005.jpg

He wants to stay at Milan, and no other big club wants him . . . why wouldn't we use that to our advantage to try and lower the asking price? Not every club can throw money around like it's nothing. I also think Milan fans have been overrating Taarabt a bit, I'm not even sure if he is worth the asking price.

That being said Berlusconi has really become a cheap fuck and I hope he sells the club.

Herr K

Banned
He wants to stay at Milan, and no other big club wants him . . . why wouldn't we use that to our advantage to try and lower the asking price? Not every club can throw money around like it's nothing. I also think Milan fans have been overrating Taarabt a bit, I'm not even sure if he is worth the asking price.

That being said Berlusconi has really become a cheap fuck and I hope he sells the club.
It's him or Honda. Him. Or. Honda.

Seriously though, getting 2nd place after the horrid seasons Liverpool has suffered throughout the years should really be celebrated.

Pity some Liverpool fans will see it as worthless just for not being champions.

hiroshawn

Banned
Gonna have to sell the PS4 to pay off some guys.

ibqKXm3B7PUbsz.gif

Atleast i'll have more time to formulate the world cup bets and catch up on my reading.

subtles

Seeing some of the backhanded compliments from a section of United fans, with an underlined condemnation to obscurity next season, makes me hope they suffer next year as well.

A few years in he wilderness will do them a world of good.

Get Bent.

Gonna have to sell the PS4 to pay off some guys.

ibqKXm3B7PUbsz.gif

Atleast i'll have more time to formulate the world cup bets and catch up on my reading.

I think it's good to sell it now.

Mine is a glorified Netflix player at the moment.

Seeing some of the backhanded compliments from a section of United fans, with an underlined condemnation to obscurity next season, makes me hope they suffer next year as well.

A few years in he wilderness will do them a world of good.

Get Bent.

What backhanded compliments?

GQman2121

Banned
This is Eudom from El Paso, Texas. Eudom has terminal cancer and was awarded a wish by The Craig Willinger Fund to see his favorite club, Manchester United, play in person.

He attended training on Monday and then watched the game at Old Trafford from a luxury box at midfield.

He also got to meet his favorite player.

United were apparently great hosts and Eudom couldn't have been happier with the experience.

In what fucking world can you blame another club for your mistakes.

Barcelona were financially rocked because Real Madrid forced them to sign Neymar a year earlier than planned, according to vice-president Carles Vilarrubi.

The Spanish giants locked horns in a lengthy transfer saga which lead to the Catalans confirming the signing of the Brazilian starlet from Santos a year before he made the move for €57 million (£46.9m) officially - although later revelations showed that the actual payments rose to an estimated €87m (£71.7m).

Vilarrubi admits that Barca's urgency in beating their arch-rivals to securing Neymar left them in a bad position economically but argues that their hand was forced by Los Blancos.

"The club signed a pre-agreement for Neymar to join the following season [2014-15]," the Barca chief told reporters. "Pressure from another club led us to sign him a year earlier. This fact has affected the club's financial stability."

He added that such "surrounding pressure" can sometimes force a club to make a move which is motivated by "not necessarily sporting" circumstances.

Oh yeah, Barca.

So, the usual?

Milan won't be in the CL next year and probably won't make it to the Europa League, we're pretty much a poor team and wages are too high for us and most of the players (around what Juve spends every year. And they won the scudetto every year). Asking for a discount, as ridiculous as it seems, it's the only thing we could do.

We also probably won't buy Rami and sign Alex for free, even if Rami proved himself to be a great CB in just 5 months. And his price is like €7m, just like Taarabt.
Taarabt is only 24? feels like he's been around forever

also just because he's scored goals for Milan doesn't necessarily make him a good purchase. he's such a limited, flawed player. it's not just opportunity cost in terms of money (of which Milan clearly are in a period of extreme austerity) but also footballing terms too. can't really blame Milan on that one.
He's good enough for Serie A football, defenders don't usually understand where's going to be and that might come in handy. We're all aware that he isn't the next Messi and has a shit attitude: a few weeks ago he said that he wanted to be a good boy just until the end of the year, when we would've bought him, then he'd go back to be an asshole both on and off the pitch.

Peco

What's worst is that Galliani doesn't want to buy Rami and he's thinking about replacing him with Alex.

That's pretty disgusting if you ask me. I know our President is a criminal and all that shit, but Galliani is pure evil.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Seems Spurs are considering taking Caulker back plus Marshall from Cardiff. Honestly I'd rather we just took the keeper, he'd be a good replacement for Friedel. Caulker I'm not sure about.

Walshy

City haven't sold out their ground tonight.

This summer should be our best one in years. It's certainly the most exciting.
It should be if we spend wisely.

Seems Spurs are considering taking Caulker back plus Marshall from Cardiff. Honestly I'd rather we just took the keeper, he'd be a good replacement for Friedel. Caulker I'm not sure about.
I thought you rated Caulker? For me, he hasn't been too impressive at Cardiff.

Would Marshall go to sit on the bench though after his best ever season?

subtles

It was Rodgers that apparently convinced Mackay to sign him in the first place. He was sure that he would soon become one of the best English CBs from the time he worked with him at Swansea.

I wonder if we are interested?

Lightning

Banned
Need to be realistic with that. Marshall ain't joining a team to bench sit all year and only play the odd europa league game. He's a better player than that, I can see Marshall at a West Ham, Crystal Palace but he won't join one of our clubs to sit on the bench without first team football all season.

GorillaJu

I'm sure Rodgers retains some interest in Caulker, he spoke very highly of him when he was Swansea manager. That said, we need someone better than Skrtel and Sakho, not a side-grade.

Mastadon

Banned
It was Rodgers that apparently convinced Mackay to sign him in the first place. He was sure that he would soon become one of the best English CBs from the time he worked with him at Swansea.

I wonder if we are interested?

His name has been linked, but Rodgers is apparently looking for a loud, commanding CB who can organise the defence. I haven't seen loads of Caulker, but I don't think he fits that description.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I thought you rated Caulker? For me, he hasn't been too impressive at Cardiff.

Would Marshall go to sit on the bench though after his best ever season?

Yeah, Caulker hasn't progressed at all this season and as a captain he doesn't seem to be ready yet. I still rate him but for most of the season he's been working under a novice manager and surrounded by shit players. He still needs someone to learn from but there is nobody like that at Cardiff.

On Marshall I guess it depends, if we offer him a better contract than anyone else then he will join us. If he's that good then he should look forward to challenging Lloris for the gloves, we might not be in the CL but we should have European football next season. Every player wants to play in Europe.

Feorax

Probably the best thing about this summer will be not having to take big risks when trying to strengthen key areas.

For example, if we want a quality, vocal CB, we aren't going to be stuck with buying someone who's been out long term or had a massive dip in form with the hope that they can get back to their best. We can go for real quality straight away.

Feorax

Is David Luiz definitely off this summer?

I think he could do a great job for us, even if he is inconsistent as fuck. Pipedream though, since Chelsea wouldn't sell a player to us now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom