• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moobabe

MNF now, they're talking Liverpool v Chelsea. Just watching that Chelsea back four, they're so fucking well organised. Just said something to Dean and then Carragher echoed it #getmeajob

I love MNF.

Mourinho is bad for football and defending is boring.

Hahahahahahahahahaha here we go boys!!!!!

Yes

This calls for a Moyes clothesline fistpump

iKc2gUzWOEKZL.gif

It's subdued nature perfectly encapsulates the situation. It's a celebration, but isn't sure if it's a complete victory.

I feel absolutely terrible for Gerrard. He has npbody to blame but himself, but fuck.

Carragher spot on, I wouldn't even mention Sakho's name at all in the buildup to that goal though. Just sounds a bit like a minor deflection away from his mate.

Cairnsay

Banned
'19th century football' still feeling a tad salty there Jamie?

In regards to the match tonight, not even feeling it a little. We're awful at the moment, have nothing left to play for, Pardew has completely lost the dressing room (if he ever had it, by all accounts Cabeye was the person people looked to for half time leadership.) This could quite easily be a turn over.

Moobabe

21st century Liverpool - 10 goals in 6 games against top four teams.

19th century Chelsea - 13 goals in 6 games against top four teams.

It's on BBC 5 Live as well - Is Mourinho good or bad for football?

Apparently criticising referees and being hypocritical are what annoys most people - and how he should be more magnanimous in defeat.

Just like Rodgers.

And Ferguson.

And Pellegrini.

Some people forget so quickly.

Christ, we played like idiots yesterday. An entire week to prepare for the inevitable, and we had nothing. And we lost it on top, giving them 3 better chances than any of our's, and should have conceded a penalty.

We got Jose'd :(

Also, wonder how everyone who carried on with rubbish about our bad defense not mattering because of our good attack feel right now. We're going to lose the league because of that shit defense even if we win both remaining games.

Get a dedicated defensive coach in the summer.

Cairnsay

Banned
Actually listen to what he's saying before chatting shit, yeah?

I concede that he did go on to give them the credit they deserve but he clearly wanted to get that little dig in at start. The accusation is a bullshit one anyway whoever makes it, and I include Mourinho. I'm pretty sure Alf Ramsey wasn't playing with two holding midfielders whist drilling his wingers to drop back into full back positions allowing the right and left back to cut in and close gaps.

Wilbur

Banned
This Aguero goal again...

I think the composure that he has to take that touch before he shoots is sensational, I always do when I see it. Neville bang on here, they just take their time.

I find it pretty crazy that Chelsea were the first team all season to try and employ those tactics against us, when it was always likely to be the best way to stop our attack

Moobabe

I concede that he did go on to give them the credit they deserve but he clearly wanted to get that little dig in at start. The accusation is a bullshit one anyway whoever makes it, and I include Mourinho. I'm pretty sure Alf Ramsey wasn't playing with two holding midfielders whist drilling his wingers to drop back into full back positions allowing the right and left back to cut in and close gaps.

The thing that's strange about comparisons to the West Ham game - West Ham had ONE shot all game.

One.

We had much clearer chances than Liverpool AND scored two goals.

But apparently these two games were extremely similar.

You know what Mourinho says sticks in people's head and always get repeated in the media for days. That's how he wants it.

Oh for sure - just amusing that he's up for discussion. There's certainly an element of jealousy I think.

Wilbur

Banned
I find it pretty crazy that Chelsea were the first team all season to try and employ those tactics against us, when it was always likely to be the best way to stop our attack

Well you have to look at the other teams that you came up against. The other teams likely to do it are nowhere near as good as Chelsea, and the rivals you beat are managed by ultimate naive aesthete Wenger, tactically inept moron Sherwood, and holistic Pellegrini.

GQman2121

Banned
Christ, we played like idiots yesterday. An entire week to prepare for the inevitable, and we had nothing. And we lost it on top, giving them 3 better chances than any of our's, and should have conceded a penalty.

We got Jose'd :(

Also, wonder how everyone who carried on with rubbish about our bad defense not mattering because of our good attack feel right now. We're going to lose the league because of that shit defense even if we win both remaining games.

Get a dedicated defensive coach in the summer.

What did you think of Kalas? First ever top flight game on what is arguably one of the country's biggest stages.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

I still can't believe the team we put out.

Bentaleb Sigurdsson
Lennon Chadli Eriksen
Soldado

'we tried to keep it tight'

Mourinho has turned it into shorthand for defensive, deep backline, flooded box tactics. Even if it's historically incorrect as a simile, it's just a convenient phrase to use now and absolutely made sense to use in the context Carragher used it in

It's like whinging about the phrase 'parking-the-bus.' As long as the analysis goes deeper than the purists going 'parking the bus herr' there's nothing wrong with using it as a metaphor

Wilbur

Banned
I hope we don't sign a centre half so he can play more. Looked to have all the makings of a top player.

Zouma coming in next year as well, future looks good. Cahill's been exceptionally good this season, Mou's getting performances out of him I didn't think were really capable.

Cairnsay

Banned
The thing that's strange about comparisons to the West Ham game - West Ham had ONE shot all game.

One.

We had much clearer chances than Liverpool AND scored two goals.

But apparently these two games were extremely similar.

Oh for sure - just amusing that he's up for discussion. There's certainly an element of jealousy I think.

It is a lazy/easy comparison, it was just a case of slightly similar tactics, only employed by a vastly superior manager, using vastly superior players.

Moobabe

Zouma coming in next year as well, future looks good. Cahill's been exceptionally good this season, Mou's getting performances out of him I didn't think were really capable.

I'd like to see a little more youth though - granted we're not as "old" as we were. But we're in the FA Youth Cup final again this year so the talent must be there.

For all the things Liverpool have done well this year it's blooding a few younger lads.

Kalas looks a great prospect, Ake looked good when he played last season, Bamford is banging them in for clubs in lower leagues and we have 100 players out on loan.

Would love to see a few given the chance next year. (Though I concede it might not happen)

What did you think of Kalas? First ever top flight game on what is arguably one of the country's biggest stages.

He was boss, but I'd need to see how he deals with a more open game before making any real judgement, without having 6 players around him working with him as a unit to take the pressure off. Send him on loan to us and we'll give him some experience being given the unenviable task of trying to cover 3 player at once as the fullbacks and CM let them skip through at will. :p

Promising PL debut though.

Really not sure who I'd give MotM to yesterday. Ba scored the vital goal and worked tirelessly, but ruined a few good breaks. And everyone in the defensive unit was pretty much immaculate, can't pinpoint one player who excelled above the rest.

All in all I think it's been a good first year with Carlo at the helm. We seem to be playing a much more team-based game than when we had Jose. I'm happy with the improvement in that area.

We already have the Copa Del Ray, and now all focus is on the champions league obviously. The league is out, congrats Atletico.

I am proud of the players.

Bale has been amazing in integrating into the team, his athletic efforts are impressive. Ronaldo has been tremendous obviously, his hunger thrives the whole team.
Modric is easily my favorite Madrid player at the moment, everything about him is amazing. I hope we keep him for a long time, his cool and comfort with the ball is soothing.
Di Maria and Benzema have improved tremendously.
Isco, Pepe, Alonso.. All have had great seasons.

I just want everyone to give their all tomorrow, we need 1 early goal and I can breath a little better. As for now, it's anyone's game. A 1-0 advantage inst really much of an advantage.

MADRID!

Feorax

I do think the criticism of Chelsea is way OTT at this point. Yeah, it wasn't pleasant to watch at times, but it was nothing we didn't expect, and there were other things we could have done in the game to try and solve the problem.

To be honest, this result has been coming for a while. Norwich, Man City, West Ham, Sunderland, all very uncomfortable wins. Four in our last 5 we've been left clinging on at the end. It was obvious we weren't going to go 14 unbeaten without a drastic change.

Moobabe

Really not sure who I'd give MotM to yesterday. Ba scored the vital goal and worked tirelessly, but ruined a few good breaks. And everyone in the defensive unit was pretty much immaculate, can't pinpoint one player who excelled above the rest.

Matic was incredible. He's going to be THE top midfield player in the league over the next few seasons I think (alongside Toure)

GQman2121

Banned
I hope we don't sign a centre half so he can play more. Looked to have all the makings of a top player.

All of the sudden we have an abundance of young depth at the position.

I'm assuming Omeruo will stay on loan next year. Boro want him for a full season apparently. He has 12 games for them since January and has done well.

I would like to see Zouma in the team training with TJ and getting familiar with Mou though.

Wilbur

Banned
He was boss, but I'd need to see how he deals with a more open game before making any real judgement, without having 6 players around him working with him as a unit to take the pressure off. Send him on loan to us and we'll give him some experience being given the unenviable task of trying to cover 3 player at once as the fullbacks and CM let them skip through at will. :p

Promising PL debut though.

Matic was the best on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom