• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see them slipping up, they've shown to be inconsistent this season even with them in the side.

Although, they will probably be fired up for it now we've slipped.

Yeah they're not in juggernaut/unbeatable form this season, but they've got proven winners in that side and they can see the finishing line.

subtles

I said this before

but

I would rather lose the title on any other day than lose it to Newcastle. That would just be unbearable.

nawz

Banned
:lol

We've been waiting for Arsenal to do something, ANYTHING, but cling on for a fucking long time.

I think Wenger has lost the plot. He just seems reluctant to use our resources to cross the finish line. He seems to have lost something over the years. There's nobody to stand up to him and tell him he is wrong etc. Miss David Dein.

Salazar

Seriously, even Liverpool fans acting like they suddenly have top 4 DNA is laughable.

Arsenal aren't nailed on for anything.

nawz

Banned
Seriously, even Liverpool fans acting like they suddenly have top 4 DNA is laughable.

Arsenal aren't nailed on for anything.

What they do have is quite a strong and consistent 11 with a manager that actually has the fans backing (for now).

They've acquired the right ingredients over the last two seasons to maintain a top four finish.

Cairnsay

Banned
I feel for my Arsenal bros. Would love to see them get a league title again eventually.

So excited for Bayern / Real. This would have been a great final even. Good luck to both.

Really sucks, losing Cabaye. But I mean, did his sale do *that* much damage? Can't believe Pardrew didn't get a replacement, especially with their experience of finding great talents out of nowhere. Do you think Pardew will still be your manager this August?

As well as being our best player (by a comfortable distance) he was also a big dressing room leader. By all accounts he was the leader of the French contingent, so pretty much 70% of the squad. In regards to Pardew I really don't want him in charge past the end of this season, the only scary part about that is who we'd get to replace him. Logically going all out to get Moyes in would be great, but I really can't see him wanting to work with the limited funds and lack of ambition from the heirachy.

LegoArmo

For what it's worth, Sky Bet have Arsenal as 5th favourites for a top 4 finish next season. We know who the bookies think will be missing out.

Yeah, Liverpool should purposely drop points so they don't lose on goal difference, losing on goal difference sucks.

Now that I think about it. How likely is it for another title race to end with goal difference? I'm guessing it's not going to happen. One of them will drop some points to decide the title.

Jack cw

I remember that Barca basically stopped playing in the 2nd half. They were nice to us.
That was even more humiliating. Well, I guess we made up for it last year.
DerZuhälter;109909804 said:
No Stachel at all.
Under Jupp they played great and were an amazing team, but this shit I'm seeing under Pep is disgusting. Forces even good teams to park the bus.

Last years Bayern were probably the best team of all time but I cant really blame Pep for his idea of possession is the best defence. It looks boring and I hope for his sake, that he streamlines the attacks to a more straight forward way. For neutral viewers something like Valencia or Werder Bremen might be the best thing to watch, but as a Bayern fan, its a good sign when its boring.

sohois

For what it's worth, Sky Bet have Arsenal as 5th favourites for a top 4 finish next season. We know who the bookies think will be missing out.

That's pretty absurd to me.

The table doesn't lie, Arsenal at the moment are better than United. Sure, you can say with a different manger, with new signings United could overhaul them, but those things have not happened and bookmakers should wait until they do to place United above Arsenal.

Now that I think about it. How likely is it for another title race to end with goal difference? I'm guessing it's not going to happen. One of them will drop some points to decide the title.
If we loose it on goal difference we can only blame our poor defence which after years still hasn't been recitified

confuziz

Banned
I have one too (allegedly) and I still eat everything. You'll live.

sure, you'll get a few minor side effects here and there but it's worth it :p

You don't want to know how much pain I have in my stomach/belly, so I would be happy if this was confirmed

sohois

If we loose it on goal difference we can only blame our poor defence which after years still hasn't been recitified

After Years?

2 seasons ago the defence was the high point of the Kenny/Clarke team.

Last season there were deficiencies, but in the summer transfer window this was addressed with 9million on Mignolet and 18million on Sakho. Your statement is bizarre.

Liverpool will go into the final game with one of the best goal differences in Premier League history. It would be City's success, rather than a failure of Liverpool, that causes the loss.

After Years?

2 seasons ago the defence was the high point of the Kenny/Clarke team.

Last season there were deficiencies, but in the summer transfer window this was addressed with 9million on Mignolet and 18million on Sakho. Your statement is bizarre.

Liverpool will go into the final game with one of the best goal differences in Premier League history. It would be City's success, rather than a failure of Liverpool, that causes the loss.
Yeah years, there's always been a part of our defence which has been a weakness most of the time left back, even our better defenders mess up at times too.

I can't even count the amount of times over the years our defence went completely shaky and started scrambling balls in our half when under pressure

Carbonox

Really sucks, losing Cabaye. But I mean, did his sale do *that* much damage? Can't believe Pardrew didn't get a replacement, especially with their experience of finding great talents out of nowhere. Do you think Pardew will still be your manager this August?

He was our best player by a country mile and crucial to any success we had in the first half of the season (and even during the season we finished 5th). Selling him and not getting a replacement fucked the team over completely. You can blame the players for not having a backbone and adjusting but some teams collapse when a crucial cog is no longer around, regardless how much the rest of the team try. Gosling ain't no Cabaye. We lacked any semblance of fluid play and went back to good old hoof ball the moment Yohan departed. Coupled with a ton of injuries (hurrdurrdoicare), it was a melting pot of gash.

The rest of the players failed to adjust, some of them probably thought fuck it (Debuchy no doubt as he's best friends with Cabaye and hasn't ruled out a move in the Summer) and planned their great escape in the Summer too.

It's baffling. That season we finished 5th and the first half of this season showed that we're capable of something. Not even Pardew can get shit right for a long period of time though. As if he forgets what he gets the players to do. Probably wakes up in the morning, has his weetabix and wonders what he forgot the previous day. "Oh well, long balls it is!"

Like I said, some ridiculous Graham Carr recommendations and we could find ourselves doing a Euro push again next season. Or, because of one wrong move we could find ourselves fighting relegation. We won't have useful players like Debuchy, Remy and Coloccini (though all 3 along with the majority of the other better performers tapered off) next season though most likely. :lol

That is the life is Newcastle United.

Blablurn

Welcome to Bayern Munich David Luiz and Pique!

BmXxa0GCAAIHj-d.jpg:large

LegoArmo

That's pretty absurd to me.

The table doesn't lie, Arsenal at the moment are better than United. Sure, you can say with a different manger, with new signings United could overhaul them, but those things have not happened and bookmakers should wait until they do to place United above Arsenal.

Arsenal couldn't even beat the worse United in 20-odd years and continually lost by 5 or 6 goals to the top sides. They remain in the top 4 due to United and Spurs under-performing massively from expectations.

The FA Cup and a good summer could help them a lot though. It seems like this season proved a lot of a teams performance can be down to their mindstate.

Jack cw

I seriously love Sport1.de
Lat week they made a head to head with Real and Bayern and Bayern won this pretty handsomely. 6 days later Real wins this because of the wingers.

They are also saying that Gündogan was taken hostage by some extremists in Ukraine.

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal couldn't even beat the worse United in 20-odd years and continually lost by 5 or 6 goals to the top sides. They remain in the top 4 due to United and Spurs under-performing massively from expectations.

The FA Cup and a good summer could help them a lot though. It seems like this season proved a lot of a teams performance can be down to their mindstate.
You fucking turd. We lost 0 home games against any top team. Only Villa beat us at the Emirates and we had Anthony Taylor to thank for that. It's our away form that needs improving but news flash? Liverpool lost all their away games to the other top 3 teams.

You clowns are selective in what you want to nitpick.

And we've finished ahead of Spurs for 19 consecutive years. That's not fluke.

nawz

Banned

Honestly its so annoying when people say its because other teams underperforming. At the end of the day a club can only blame itself for where they are. The table doesnt lie. Its a marathon not a sprint. Spurs don't under perform they're just shit or they just expect too much for a mediocre team. United...well this season may just be a blip...who knows.

You fucking turd. We lost 0 home games against any top team. Only Villa beat us at the Emirates and we had Anthony Taylor to thank for that. It's our away form that needs improving but news flash? Liverpool lost all their away games to the other top 3 teams.

The blinding ambition.

sohois

If United and Spurs underperformed to expectations then expectations should be adjusted downwards to form a new anchor point for adjustment.

LegoArmo

Come on now, losing 6-3, 5-1, and 6-0 isn't form, it's weakness, it's naivety, and it's not just this season.

You know he's right.

Lightning

Banned

The blinding ambition.
Blinding ambition? There's a reason why our 3rd and 4th finishes have gotten us criticism and thats because we're a much bigger club not fulfilling their potential or maximising their resources but managerial changes need to be handled with care as United are finding out.

I just don't accept the attacks on our club by you lot saying the same thing over and over and over again.

Top 4 is minimum requirement though and we always achieve this. Had Moyes achieved this he would still be employed.

Come on now, losing 6-3, 5-1, and 6-0 isn't form, it's weakness, it's naivety, and it's not just this season.

You know he's right.
It showed tactical nativity from Wenger more than anything else.

Also I will never take seriously the opinion of someone like Scholes. Gary Neville is the only United man worth taking seriously.

Blinding ambition? There's a reason why our 3rd and 4th finishes have gotten us criticism and thats because we're a much bigger club not fulfilling their potential or maximising their resources but managerial changes need to be handled with care as United are finding out.

I just don't accept the attacks on our club by you lot saying the same thing over and over and over again.

Top 4 is minimum requirement though and we always achieve this. Had Moyes achieved this he would still be employed.

Moyes was never going to achieve it. Because he's shit.

thats because we're a much bigger club not fulfilling their potential or maximising their resources

or maybe you found your level and the league title 10 years ago was overachieving?

I guess UEFA loves the drama of clubs losing finals on their home turf :(

best part is them pushing forward to Wednesday a meeting that was scheduled to May 15th JUST to review Juve's complaint against Enzo and possibly keeping our best and most creative midfielder out of the match if Benfica doesn't issue a defense within the allowed period. i imagine they wouldn't give a fuck if we filed a complaint for the stone wall pen that the ref denied us last week. "human error" innit.

it's like i say, a ref running around in a Juve kit would've been less obvious.

LegoArmo

United took 4 points from Arsenal. Everton took 4 points from Arsenal, and played you off the park with olé football.

Your form against these teams is a huge problem. Because you'd be right in the title chase by winning these "big" games. Arsenal are flat track bullies.

Spurs are Spurs, and will remain so, but at least they're trying, adapting and changing... Failing, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom