• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

With city's upcoming FFP penalties, do you think they are likely to keep Barry now? With limits to squad size and Lescott and Richards set to leave, they need to reach that homegrown quota.
We could possibly offer him a new deal for a significantly reduced wage if we unload Rodwell which I expect we'll do. More likely though is Emyr Huws will stay rather than be loaned out. He qualifies as HG for both the club and the country requirements.

I do think the £27m fee for Shaw is quite high. Not because I doubt his potential or talent or anything like that…just not sure full backs are as crucial to the team as players in other positions are. We paid similar fee’s for Rooney and Ferdinand but they have been so integral to the team.

Anyway, I’m not too fussed. He is brilliant and we would be locking down a position for a long time if we can get it done.

£80k-£100k for wages is a pretty sizable amount to give to a player his age. Fortunately we can afford it, not totally comfortable doing it but it was always going to take a big financial offer. I don’t think it’s totally insane on reflection. Wages are inflating across the board and when you pay a fee as big as that the player will expect wages relative to it.
You guys are paying Adnan £50k a week. I think £75-80k for Shaw would be very fair given the fact it'll be following a big money move rather than a first professional contract. I would think a FB's wages are fairly consistent too. He probably won't be seeing an increase far beyond £100-125k by the time he's finished at United compared to an attacker whose wages may triple or quadruple.

Patrick Roberts has been gathering a lot of attention this year. Wouldn't be surprised if the Fulham youth player tears up the championship next season along with Dembele.
Fulham also has a young (18ish) American kid who has been excellent for their U-21 team. I hope they go balls to the wall and play a bunch of their youth.

Is there an argument that maybe Gareth Barry should be going instead of Lampard?
I think he should have been in the squad -- he had a fantastic season. Certainly in the replacement list at a minimum. I think Wilbur is probably right about Lampard though.. if you guys need a goal, he's liable to come off the bench and get one. Barry would probably be more useful over the course of a game, but Lampard could provide a spark.

jtb

Banned
You must be forgetting the knives coming out rather quickly following poor performances. If anything, it's more vocal because he's English. If he wasn't, no one would particularly care.

I don't remember much criticism of him, tbh. Ozil, a far better player who had a far better season, has been shat on all season long. Ramsey and Theo received far more vicious criticism while they were developing, etc. People criticize Wilshere's attitude (though you still get the occasional "the only arsenal player with heart!!!!1" bullshit), and rightfully so because he's a lazy cunt, but that shouldn't overshadow the fact that his performances have also been very poor.

Guys I just handed in my final assignment for my degree

Now what the fuck do I do with my life?

Apart from getting incredibly drunk for the next month

You poor bastards getting excited about England at the World Cup.

We are gonna be shit, gassed after half an hour and sunburnt.

The FA haven't even bothered to arrange one warm weather friendly.

I'm supporting Messi.

ElyrionX

Just caught a replay of the United Southampton game. Was good to see the fans making a proper occasion out of it. It's been a terrible season for us but we will come back stronger next season.

I feel kind of sorry for Moyes though. He inherited a mediocre team and wasn't ever given a real chance of building one of his own.

You poor bastards getting excited about England at the World Cup.

We are gonna be shit, gassed after half an hour and sunburnt.

The FA haven't even bothered to arrange one warm weather friendly.

I'm supporting Messi.

I'm supporting Messi too. If Januzaj makes the Belgian team, I will support Belgium. I'm also supporting Kagawa.

Just caught a replay of the United Southampton game. Was good to see the fans making a proper occasion out of it. It's been a terrible season for us but we will come back stronger next season.

I feel kind of sorry for Moyes though. He inherited a mediocre team and wasn't ever given a real chance of building one of his own.

He didn't deserve that chance.

Fergie

Banned
Lallana and Sterling wide.

Welbeck and Sturridge.

Marathon runner and set-piece artist, midfield enforcers.

Cahill with someone competent, someone beg Terry back. Smalling is alright at CB but Jag partnering Cahill would be decent.

Baines LB.

RB. Either Jones or Johnson. Pls no Smalling.

Fuck Rooney make him a super sub. Can't trust him to come back fit and ready for the tournament.

If England go out I'm just gonna enjoy the tournament. Pretty much.

danwarb

Johnson in ahead of Flanagan is baffling to me. That's my only real complaint about the squad. Everything Glen touches turns to shit lately.

Fergie

Banned
I came to this notion:

I am very worried about Fellaini next season.
He'll be fine.

Of course if United buys 2 CM's most likely Fellaini will be benched. But I still believe in him. It's been a bad season, confidence is really low. Also Carrick and Clev as midfield partners, doesn't help anyone.

He was great at Everton, I just hope he shows that form next season.

Carrying a injury for half a season then being out for a bit can derail anyone really.

Carbonox

Woy managed them before England.

image.php

WJD

He'll be fine.

Of course if United buys 2 CM's most likely Fellaini will be benched. But I still believe in him. It's been a bad season, confidence is really low. Also Carrick and Clev as midfield partners, doesn't help anyone.

He was great at Everton, I just hope he shows that form next season.

Carrying a injury for half a season then being out for a bit can derail anyone really.

Think he still has a place, just not against good teams. Put in some really good performances against bruisers and bumblers like West Ham, Palace, West Brom etc. Obviously the ideal situation would be signing two CM's good enough to displace him and Carrick, but I still have faith he can "do a job" if he sticks around.

bud

pepe mel

who was pepe mel
he kept it hid
he was certainly no adele
or real madrid

we searched for pepe mel
our whole life through
we passed right by
and never knew

Fergie

Banned
Think he still has a place, just not against good teams. Put in some really good performances against bruisers and bumblers like West Ham, Palace, West Brom etc. Obviously the ideal situation would be signing two CM's good enough to displace him and Carrick, but I still have faith he can "do a job" if he sticks around.
Definitely.

Might be confidence issue and just general expectations that derailed him this season. He just shoots randomly, he's trying too hard. Feel for him, not his fault with that price tag.

The Hodge Files

Just in case anyone was unsure as to what we're dealing with.
FA: sign him up.

Johnson in ahead of Flanagan is baffling to me. That's my only real complaint about the squad. Everything Glen touches turns to shit lately.

I've always been fairly cirticial of him but in fairness, he has done well for England in his time as RB for Roy.

Bungie made the point when the Brazil squad was announced, club form is only one factor. Not that I'm advocating Johnson as our first choice RB or anything...but yeah, I can see why he's there.

Meier

Status Quo's Whatever You Like is going to be a big fan singalong going forward. Zaba's favorite song, it's all over the Youtube channel and celebrations lately.

Carbonox

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

If Barca win comfortably next Sunday, that Willy save goes down as the season-defining moment. What a fantastic leagle La Liga has been this year. Needed a shot in the arm tbh. So did the PL a little bit, it's not good for the league to have a team running away with it in consecutive years, so it was good to have 3 teams in contention with 4 or so games left.

England squad is much of a muchness tbh. Have no faith whatsoever that Hodgson will implement tactics anything like the ones we clearly should, he's just too negative to let our exciting players do their thing. We need a Pellegrini, someone who will let our best players play their best stuff, without sacrificing too much at the back.

Any chance of opening the WC thread early as the squads are announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom