• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully the club looks at changing the whole medical staff around in the summer, although this has been happening for years, so I really don't expect it to be done :lol

Arsenal had a great final stretch of the season in terms of wins that left them closer in points than they probably were in reality. I think we will probably finish over 90 points next season. I can't really envision us starting so poorly on the road again -- I would expect it'll be very unlikely we drop points to a newly promoted team next season let alone lose to them.

With that being said, I wouldn't necessarily expect an 8 game win streak in the December/January period again because we'll lose Yaya to the AFCON again next season.

I'm still laughing at "a wee bit new to them" -- that's going to make me chuckle for a very long time.

I'm not sure comparing points totals season on season is a particularly good indicator. Last season's title was won on a higher points total than any title for the last few years wasn't it...but by the poorest team. Alot happens during the season which impacts the eventual winning total.

Haven't really considered next season yet but first thing that would come to mind is the World Cup and how that might impact on teams early on in the season.

Clegg

What's up guys, how's this thread been recently?

Unfortunately my aunts been messed about a bit so she still hasn't had the surgery she needs. Was supposed to have it on Wednesday but some dope forgot to schedule her for an angiogram the day before and so the consultant refused to sign off on the procedure before it was done. Was rescheduled for tomorrow but there's a national anaesthetist conference on so it won't be done either. You'd think they'd be aware of that beforehand wouldn't you?

She's also a stroke victim so she needs warfarin to thin her blood. She's been off and on that for the last week in prep for her surgery which she still hasn't had. Getting into slightly dangerous territory as you need her off the meds for the surgery but she can't go too long without them or she's at risk of clots. So yeah, not good.

Van Gaal has given Ed Woodward, United's executive vice-chairman, an A, B and C list of desired players.

The prime potential acquisitions include Bayern Munich's Arjen Robben, who does not take his place in Holland's squad until after Saturday's German Cup final, the winger's club team-mate Thomas Müller, an attacking midfielder, and the Borussia Dortmund central defender, Mats Hummels.

Van Gaal has also approved Southampton's Luke Shaw and Bayern's Toni Kroos, who were identified as transfer targets during Moyes' tenure.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/15/louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-holland

Not only do I think going after Muller and Robben is madness but I don't see how Muller would fit.

wedward

Wenger is totally to blame for Jack's first injury though. I do believe that. He was criminally overplayed in his breakthrough season, and, unlike Cesc, RVP, never spent any time injured, so there must have been so much stress put on that ankle of his.

Agree with that.

I thought this injury wasn't related to that ankle though.

Plasma

Banned
Arteta isn't getting a long term deal because he won't be able to play at this level beyond another season.

If we don't buy a replacement this summer i'll be shocked.

Pretty sure we will, at this point I think we'll put a higher priority on bringing in a DM over a striker given how many goals we shipped against the other top four teams.

jtb

Banned
in all seriousness, I was saying it was a weak league at the beginning of the season—but all the top teams got better, considerably better. I don't think this was a weak league at all, this season. Much stronger than the past three or four seasons—a lot of the top PL talent has gone to Spain (Ronaldo, Cesc, etc.) but now the talent is beginning to flow back to the PL.

re: Viva—I think the most telling thing about the points total is that all of the top 4 teams were on very high point totals and significantly improved upon the previous season, vs. just one team that was clearly head and shoulders above the rest. I do think there's something to be taken away from that.

Meier

I'm not sure comparing points totals season on season is a particularly good indicator. Last season's title was won on a higher points total than any title for the last few years wasn't it...but by the poorest team. Alot happens during the season which impacts the eventual winning total.

Haven't really considered next season yet but first thing that would come to mind is the World Cup and how that might impact on teams early on in the season.

Mostly I just mean I think we'll improve as a whole. This season we obviously struggled with the new system at the beginning of the year and dropped a lot of points that we had no business dropping. I don't think that'll happen next season -- certainly not early on at least. I could see us having trouble in that window where Yaya is gone though. That's a big hole to fill for ~6 weeks. I think we'll ultimately finish with more points because we should finish with more points, but you never know I suppose.

wedward

Poor Arsenal medical staff gets all this blame when there is zero proof that they are responsible for any of these injuries and setbacks.

Like, we have no clue what goes on in that training ground.

If the medical staff is totally inept than the blame goes to Wenger. But if they are so inept, why wouldn't the club replace them?

jtb

Banned
Wenger loves to sign injury prone players, too. Diaby, Sanogo both had huge red flags and Wenger did not give a single fuck.

Salvadora

Christ, forgot about the African Cup of Nations. That'd be Aurier missing a crucial part of the season if we got him. Wish ACON would fuck off to the summer.

in all seriousness, I was saying it was a weak league at the beginning of the season—but all the top teams got better, considerably better. I don't think this was a weak league at all, this season. Much stronger than the past three or four seasons—a lot of the top PL talent has gone to Spain (Ronaldo, Cesc, etc.) but now the talent is beginning to flow back to the PL.

re: Viva—I think the most telling thing about the points total is that all of the top 4 teams were on very high point totals and significantly improved upon the previous season, vs. just one team that was clearly head and shoulders above the rest. I do think there's something to be taken away from that.
Yeah I agree, it was a league which required alot more consistency to do well in.

Mostly I just mean I think we'll improve as a whole. This season we obviously struggled with the new system at the beginning of the year and dropped a lot of points that we had no business dropping. I don't think that'll happen next season -- certainly not early on at least. I could see us having trouble in that window where Yaya is gone though. That's a big hole to fill for ~6 weeks. I think we'll ultimately finish with more points because we should finish with more points, but you never know I suppose.
That's true, very impressive how City almost seamlessly adapted to Pellegrini's style.

If City buy well this summer I don't see anyone stopping you next season really. There are still a couple of pretty weak areas in the squad IMO, kind of surprising they haven't been addressed yet but this is a chance now.

Haven't seen you linked with that pacy AM type yet though - what's happening there. Is it just an oversight or is there somebody lined up for that role.

bud

i don't think the medical staff can do a whole lot when wenger (probably) overtrains his players during pre-season--that's when players already start getting fatigued, which results in muscle-related injuries a few months into the season.

good luck with your aunt, clegg.

Salvadora

It's frustrating talking about Arsenal medical stuff when we basically have 0 information. But yet impossible not to because it so greatly effects our season. You'd think some disgruntled professional would leak to the media if his career was being hampered by that sort of thing.

jtb

Banned
i don't think the medical staff can do a whole lot when wenger (probably) overtrains his players during pre-season--that's when players already start getting fatigued, which results in muscle-related injuries a few months into the season.

good luck with your aunt, clegg.

he also rushes back players. constantly did it with RVP and Cesc. I highly suspect he did it with Ramsey. he was supposed to be back by the end of January—and actually was in training the last week of the month before another mysterious "setback." same with Wilshere. there were actually reports of him being back in training before he had a "setback" and missed another 6 months (after his first ankle injury). Wenger really wanted him back for the Milan CL game iirc.

this shit can't just be bad luck or coincidences. there's definitely incompetence at some level going on here, and I think Wenger has a large role to play in it.

Clegg

Cheers guys.

For any United Bros interested there's a good article on the whole United managerial situation by Ian Ladyman. It's in the Mail so I can't link it.

Meier

Haven't seen you linked with that pacy AM type yet though - what's happening there. Is it just an oversight or is there somebody lined up for that role.
I'm not sure to be honest. We really have only been linked with defensive players. Lopes is pretty quick and I think he will get some opportunities next year but I think he still has a ways to go to be at the level of play required for our goals.

I've often lamented the relative lack of pace from Nasri and Silva. Isco isn't particularly fast either though so it could be that Pellegrini is just okay with that deliberate style from his creative midfielders. I would absolutely love it if we could get Barkley this summer. Navas has the pace to run by guys but doesn't really seem to have the ability to run at them head on. Would be a nice wrinkle.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
There are no black Italians according to some racist Serie A fans so Nintendo might be onto something there

faridmon

Fucking gaming side. Its getting worse and worse every year!

Clegg good luck on your and your aunt's venture. Hope everything turn out alright with you guys!

wedward

he also rushes back players. constantly did it with RVP and Cesc. I highly suspect he did it with Ramsey. he was supposed to be back by the end of January—and actually was in training the last week of the month before another mysterious "setback." same with Wilshere. there were actually reports of him being back in training before he had a "setback" and missed another 6 months (after his first ankle injury). Wenger really wanted him back for the Milan CL game iirc.

this shit can't just be bad luck or coincidences. there's definitely incompetence at some level going on here, and I think Wenger has a large role to play in it.

All of this could be alleviated if we had a deeper squad.

subtles

senza_titolo_2_by_soulstrike91-d65l3ll.gif

I think a 1080P version of that game saves the WiiU. E3 pls

Oh. My.

I agree.

It would be Beautiful.

Just....

Beautiful.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Arsenal will win every single (domestic) title with Conte next season

Sweep sweep

LVG won't know what hit'em

bud

All of this could be alleviated if we had a deeper squad.

he also overplays them (case in point: giroud, ramsey, ozil etc.) which i can sorta understand because he doesn't have, like you said, the deepest of squads--but then again, that's his own fault.

Wilbur

Banned
That flash trailer LOOOOOOL

"It's better to have a good heart than fast legs"

Please. Tell me arrow isn't that level of shit.

Marc

Best wishes Clegg, hope it all turns out for the better.

Clegg good luck on your and your aunt's venture. Hope everything turn out alright with you guys!

I was just reading the post in the link below and I don't even know how to respond, is this sarcasm or is he really being serious... I can't tell any more.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=112139536&postcount=66

Its a fucking game, jesus christ.

L1NETT

Watch Arrow you goose

Its amazingly good cheese

And who hates cheese

Oh and I saw Godzilla

Shit

You know they pulled something off when a dog is a more interesting character than any human. That kick ass guy, wooden as fuck. Cranston just one dimensional cranstoning and Olsen was basically a yawn machine. The climax is entertaining but the first 2/3 are tedious as shit

Agree with Bradshaw (for once) in the guardian. 2/5.

---

Best wishes Clegg, do hope everything turns out well.

wedward

he also overplays them (case in point: giroud, ramsey, ozil etc.) which i can sorta understand because he doesn't have, like you said, the deepest of squads--but then again, that's his own fault.

Always comes back to money. Sure he has bought some stinkers, but for the amount we have spent we have a pretty solid squad. At this point we just need some top class players at striker, CM and RB.

Scum

Good luck, Clegg. Hope all goes well.

There are no black Italians according to some racist Serie A fans so Nintendo might be onto something there
Lol

Most of them don't play games anymore.

Wilbur

Banned
Watch Arrow you goose

Its amazingly good cheese

And who hates cheese

Oh and I saw Godzilla

Shit

You know they pulled something off when a dog is a more interesting character than any human. That kick ass guy, wooden as fuck. Cranston just one dimensional cranstoning and Olsen was basically a yawn machine. The climax is entertaining but the first 2/3 are tedious as shit

Agree with Bradshaw (for once) in the guardian. 2/5.

---

Best wishes Clegg, do hope everything turns out well.

Fargo not doing it
Godzilla bad

"Boy I'm looking forward to flash"

No

It looks fucking crap

The guy can't act
The dialogue is horrific

Jesus. No thanks.

Marc

Just caught up on the Arrow finale.

Yes, it is terrible. The one saving grace at the moment is Manu Bennet as Deathstroke and the good action. The dialogue, acting, story, plot... its a complete shambles. Its fun I guess if you leave your brain at the door but it really does wear you down with those massive flaws.

Slade loves a girl he barely looked at, who dies while pretty much shacking up with Oliver. So Slade blames enraged at this and blames him for making a wrong choice as he loved her, which comes out of fucking nowhere. Oliver loves Laurel, oh no but really he loved her sister, but back to Laurel in the meantime. Oh the sister is back, I love her now... not to mention all the other girls inbetween. And while this happens there is sexual tension with a CEO woman, and also my hacker... who I also now love. Just a loving guy all round. Absolutely none of it is convincing in the slightest, or makes the tiniest bit of sense. With awful dialogue to bring this all together

If they focused on the action and admitted they can't write for shit then fair enough but aghhh....

I will watch Flash as well though as I will pretty much watch any old shit with superheroes. I used to watch the 90's Captain America and Punisher movies on a loop as there were no hero movies back then really apart from DC's SuperBat love-in. Even watched some awful spidey TV movies where he climbed up ropes at the side of buildings and karate chopped people.

Carbonox

Gaming side is good for laughs. That Far Cry 4 boxart thread. Fucking hilarious example of over-thinking and far-fetched numb-skullery.

250px-083Farfetch'd.png

Salazar

An Old Trafford source said: ‘They just want to know one way or the other. If it’s bad news and they aren’t being kept on, then the least that should happen is they should be told.

‘To keep them hanging on, after the way they have served the club, is unfair.’

Fucking wrap Nicky Butt in a Dutch flag and dump him in a canal. "After the way they have served the club" - you weren't fucking volunteers, lads.

Wilbur

Banned
With great power comes great responsibility

Why do we fall Mr.Wayne? So we might learn to pick ourselves up.

Etc

Comics

Delivered by good actors who sell it better than this gimp

That's why Godzilla's characters didn't bother me. Cranston was good, don't mind that he over acted a bit, he did that the entire Breaking Bad run. Elizabeth Olsen and Sally Hawkins don't have much to do but I'm glad it's good actors with the small parts.

Salvadora

Have to say, I'm nearly caught up with Arrow and I'm not as enamoured as I was at first. The flashbacks have become so tedious and the storyline is a bit guff. Roy and Thea are so incredibly awful.

L1NETT

Oh yeah I forgot Arrow is meant to be a phd level thesis on the concept of heroism in a broken society

It's dumb as fuck

But it's dumb fun. Godzilla on the other hand is boring and patently stupid.

Marc did you even watch it

He doesn't love Felicity. That was the whole blinking rouse. And he a romp with Rochev, you are puling that there was sexual tension out of your but boy. Also we've been told so many times Slade has been driven made the Mirawhatever. Shado even tells the friggin audience hey this dude is crazy

Have to say, I'm nearly caught up with Arrow and I'm not as enamoured as I was at first. The flashbacks have become so tedious and the storyline is a bit guff. Roy and Thea are so incredibly awful.

Oh lord Roy is just turrible. So boring a character surprised he didn't have a cameo in Godzilla

Thea is meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom