• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Not going to get drawn into an argument about what constitutes close or not, especially considering Viv and Lab's propensity for trolling in this regard. Don't think Arsenal were close, clearly, but was stating that 7 points is not a world away.

Don't know how you read that from the conversation at all. The usual "Arsenal fans" again though innit.

In the past week alone there's been a million posts already crowning you as FA Cup winners, spouting silly arguments like "if Ramsey wasn't injured we'd have won the league". Viva is entirely right in saying things like Aguero and Suarez's absences also affecting things just as much. The rhetoricals help no one; it just invites scorn.

3Sixty

Fucking hell we got 79 points a couple season's ago we'd have only needed one more win to clinch the title with that kind of tally. Games that cost us the season and the title, Swansea @ H, Villa @ H, Stoke @ A, Southampton @ A. We win those games, next season, we don't even have to beat he big teams, just get draws when possible and we'll win the league, while picking all the other points we did this season.

This is always such a stupid argument. Why should you have beaten us? If anything we should be resenting the fact we didn't get all 3 points from that game.

Barzul

This is always such a stupid argument. Why should you have beaten us? If anything we should be resenting the fact we didn't get all 3 points from that game.

The goal is to win at places where we dropped points this season. It just happens to be more feasible to do that at St. Mary's than say the Etihad or Anfield. I didn't really mean any offense by it, I just really expected us to win there especially after going 2-1 up.

L1NETT

We should ban tanc talk.

Aye

It's below muppetry if such a thing is possible

--

Always loved Leyton Orient

Come on Russell Slade you little bald genuis

For football

In the past week alone there's been a million posts already crowning you as FA Cup winners, spouting silly arguments like "if Ramsey wasn't injured we'd have won the league". Viva is entirely right in saying things like Aguero and Suarez's absences also affecting things just as much. The rhetoricals help no one; it just invites scorn.

Agree that if x y z happened arguments don't help much.....but Ramsey is easily their best midfielder. I doubt they would have capitulated the way they did if he was fit.

I just struggle to comprehend the Wenger out garbage already happening

If (big if) you beat Hull, I reckon majority of Gunners would have taken the FA cup and top 4.

I don't think it's possible for that side to have even been thinking about a title challenge considering the petro wealth and how that Liverpool side was playing

I'm not trolling.

On the 8th of March Arsenal were 7 points off top spot, with 10 games still to play.

You never closed that gap from then until the end of the season, where the title was won on the last day.

Sorry but that is a shit "title challenge". Don't see how pointing that out is trolling.

Lightning

Banned
It's jest dude, I'm enjoying the moment we're in the final. After all the shit we get about trophies all the fucking time, over and over again, every time we say anything even if it's not about Arsenal it gets rubbed in. You want us to be respectful yet tolerate the opposite shit endlessly.

The amount of Ozil trolling this season has been fucking ridiculous.

3Sixty

The goal is to win at places where we dropped points this season. It just happens to be more feasible to do that at St. Mary's than say the Etihad or Anfield. I didn't really mean any offense by it, I just really expected us to win there especially after going 2-1 up.

Ofcourse but you're going to drop points somewhere. Especially on the road. All teams fancy themselves to beat anyway at home.

I understand feeling aggrieved if you drop points by being robbed or against the run of play but it seems a bit silly to say that when the other team dominated the majority of the game.

Salvadora

First of all, lots of the overconfidence (on my pat, anyway) is tongue in cheek just like the "we're going to win the league" stuff was for the most part. Second of all, I don't think it's silly to suggest that having our best players fit in the second half of the season would have changed things. Yes, all clubs have injuries and it's part and parcel of the game but I don't think it's inappropriate to bring it up when judging Arsenal as a whole. Thirdly, this "Arsenal fans" thing is really quite dismissive and other fanbases on here don't get the same sort of treatment. Find it verging on bullying.

It's jest dude, I'm enjoying the moment we're in the final. After all the shit we get about trophies all the fucking time, over and over again, every time we say anything even if it's not about Arsenal it gets rubbed in. You want us to be respectful yet tolerate the opposite shit endlessly.

Well the trolling is not really trolling at all. For the amount of money we paid for him, it should have gone on a striker. Not saying Ozil isn't worth that cos I think he's brilliant (very inconsistent tho). We needed a striker way more than we needed Ozil IMO.

Well the trolling is not really trolling at all. For the amount of money we paid for him, it should have gone on a striker. Not saying Ozil isn't worth that cos I think he's brilliant (very inconsistent tho). We needed a striker way more than we needed Ozil IMO.

A big marquee signing trumps logic alot of the time.

Lightning

Banned
It's trolling. Not Ozil's fault we didn't buy a striker. He was getting slammed 10 minutes into matches.

I'm not trolling.

On the 8th of March Arsenal were 7 points off top spot, with 10 games still to play.

You never closed that gap from then until the end of the season, where the title was won on the last day.

Sorry but that is a shit "title challenge". Don't see how pointing that out is trolling.

They think it's a title challenge because they haven't been that close since 2011. The graph posted earlier was correct right up until 2012 when Arsenal were already out of the race to start the season. Last season was the first time since 2011 that they actually were in the title race for a good amount of time.

On the Ozil subject, I think some people are too harsh on him. I think he had a pretty good season, but certainly one he can improve on. I would like to see him in action for another season before criticizing it.

Wilbur

Banned

You think Barzul is saying it in jest? Looooooooool

Ok.

Barzul

Ofcourse but you're going to drop points somewhere. Especially on the road. All teams fancy themselves to beat anyway at home.

I understand feeling aggrieved if you drop points by being robbed or against the run of play but it seems a bit silly to say that when the other team dominated the majority of the game.

I don't expect us to dominate every game, that's impossible. I do expect us to be able to maintain a lead however and we failed in that regard miserably over the course of the season especially when our initial challenge this season was so strong.

Wilbur

Banned
First of all, lots of the overconfidence (on my pat, anyway) is tongue in cheek just like the "we're going to win the league" stuff was for the most part. Second of all, I don't think it's silly to suggest that having our best players fit in the second half of the season would have changed things. Yes, all clubs have injuries and it's part and parcel of the game but I don't think it's inappropriate to bring it up when judging Arsenal as a whole. Thirdly, this "Arsenal fans" thing is really quite dismissive and other fanbases on here don't get the same sort of treatment. Find it verging on bullying.

And I think this post is verging on playing the victim card :lol. Bayern, Barca and Madrid fans get it in the neck way more than arsenal fans do. Come on.

Oh god
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819730

By the way guys, is boardwalk empire worth sticking to ?
Currently at episode 6 within the first season, but I'm not fully satisfied yet.

Absolutely. Picks up near the end of the season, and 2/3/4 are all brilliant.

Suen

We'll win the FA cup final and next season we'll be so far ahead of other teams in quality that competing for the title will be a joke. United will go through a transition, Chelsea will kill itself with Mou's defense tactics, Liverpool will not replace the void left by Suarez, Spurs will finish below us as usual and City won't be as hungry to win again. In terms of individual quality Arsenal is better than any other team in the league.

#InWengerWeTrust

jtb

Banned
without Ozil, we aren't top of the table for the first half of the season. don't be fooled by the revisionist history, he had a good season. not a great season, but a good one.

and please don't even bother mentioning assists, because it's a fucking meaningless stat and everyone knows it

Barzul

I truly believe if we had Ramsey, Ozil and Walcott fit for majority of the 2nd half of the season we'd have won the league, or finished 2nd. If that seems to ridiculous to some of y'all, so be it. I'll just stop mentioning as much if it's bugging the majority of FootyGAF.

Wilbur

Banned
You can tell Susan is tongue in cheek. I appreciate that.

And Ozil had a decent season. Not a 40m season, but a decent season.

dc89

senza_titolo_2_by_soulstrike91-d65l3ll.gif

I think a 1080P version of that game saves the WiiU. E3 pls

They think it's a title challenge because they haven't been that close since 2011. The graph posted earlier was correct right up until 2012 when Arsenal were already out of the race to start the season. Last season was the first time since 2011 that they actually were in the title race for a good amount of time.

On the Ozil subject, I think some people are too harsh on him. I think he had a pretty good season, but certainly one he can improve on. I would like to see him in action for another season before criticizing it.

I don't even class that as a title challenge. You have to sustain. What's the point in leading for 2/3 the season and then just being totally irrelevant for the rest of it when the pressure is on? You're not really challenging for anything in that case are you?

Injuries is a weak weak weak excuse. Liverpool's squad was tiny and City have loads on injuries through that stretch.

These are all valid points just being dismissed as "trolling" or whatever else cos nobody wants to answer them. United having a shit season or me not liking Arsenal doesn't effect their validity as much as people might say they do.

Wilbur

Banned
I truly believe if we had Ramsey, Ozil and Walcott fit for majority of the 2nd half of the season we'd have won the league, or finished 2nd. If that seems to ridiculous to some of y'all, so be it. I'll just stop mentioning as much if it's bugging the majority of FootyGAf.

And I believe if Suarez hadn't missed the first six games that Liverpool would have won

I believe that if Aguero hadn't missed large parts of the season City would have won by more

I believe that if Chelsea had a competent striker they would have won

I believe that David Moyes is a football genius

It's all just... a bit redundant to discuss. We know that they're good players. What should be discussed is where Arsenal need to realistically strengthen, not "what ifs" based on the perennial fucking hilarity that is your medical team.

Lightning

Banned

We paid 40m for 5 seasons though. Not much expecting him to come into a league where he has to play and carry a much heavier load and where everything is different. Kos was crap when he first arrived, Mertesacker was crap when he first arrived etc.. This coming season tells the story for me.

A much more fair and accurate gauge of him.

jtb

Banned
and this isn't the first time we were in the title race since 2011, it's the first time we were in the title race since 2008. 2011 we were never top of the table, iirc. look, we faded badly, that's why we didn't win the title—thanks we all got that—but when you're top of the table for half of the season, that's got to count at least a little bit towards being in the title race.

also, I'm almost certain 79 points is a far larger points total than any other 4th place finisher... maybe in league history. this is not the same kind of 4th place finish of the past three seasons.

was chelsea not in the league title race because they lost key games in march and april? on one hand, Mou said they weren't and we have to take everything that he says as gospel because he's soooo hilarious and such a great troll.

on the other hand, they were clearly in the title race. but because it's Chelsea and because it's Mourinho, we'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I don't even class that as a title challenge. You have to sustain. What's the point in leading for 2/3 the season and then just being totally irrelevant for the rest of it when the pressure is on? You're not really challenging for anything in that case are you?

Injuries is a weak weak weak excuse. Liverpool's squad was tiny and City have loads on injuries through that stretch.

These are all valid points just being dismissed as "trolling" or whatever else cos nobody wants to answer them. United having a shit season or me not liking Arsenal doesn't effect their validity as much as people might say they do.

It's not really a title challenge, but that's where they're coming from. Arsenal were out of the title race within a month in 2012 and 2013. They forgot what a title challenge was.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2012-2013/table/2012-09-30

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2011-2012/table/2011-09-10

wedward

But the fact is Ozil has been poor at times throughout the season. Surely everyone in ArseGAF can admit that right? It's not just me?

Every player is poor at times though out a season.

You aren't really saying anything.

Just realized if we win the FA Cup we tie Man U for most FA Cups.

jtb

Banned
I was saying Wenger out from the moment he didn't sign Ba on deadline day

edit: I'm almost certain the only other team that was top of the table for the season (after like a month in) besides Arsenal was City. so, really: what's a "title challenge"?

Salvadora

How could he sign Ba when Mourinho said no?
Mate, I didn't say you were trolling just that you have a tendency to try and get a rise when it comes to Arsenal related stuff. Reason I'm not answering your posts is that it has nothing to do with your original post about us thinking we had a chance (and later the world away comment).

Suen

The price will hopefully be justified if he manages to builds upon this season. We'll get more from him if Wenger rotates better and if we have a better striker. Özil - Giroud is like Xavi - Francis Jeffers

jtb

Banned
Mourinho doesn't give a fuck. see: Mata

Wenger was too cheap to pay the loan fee. he was afraid to see a legitimately quality striker usurp his beloved Giroud. you know it's true. #wengerout

I don't think it's any harsher than the other top teams receive - if it seems like I'm being dismissive about Arsenal fans' ambitions, it's because the same hypotheticals are thrown about every summer. I understand that you had injuries that sliced the squad to pieces, but throwing out wishes for an unscathed season is going to fall on deaf ears.

Hey, you're obviously free to discuss what you like, I just think Arsenal fans would be wiser focusing it on reasonable players to strengthen their side rather than the returning ones.

The Chelsea game for example, embarrassing tactics by Wenger in that one.

That was bad yeah. But we also had no answer in the Everton away and Liverpool away.

Every player is poor at times though out a season.

You aren't really saying anything.

Just realized if we win the FA Cup we tie Man U for most FA Cups.
Obviously to the former. No brainer really. But I expected more from Ozil for the price we paid for him. £42m is a hell of a lot of money.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
How can you say Arsenal weren't in it with a straight face

They did screw it all up two months before the finishing line though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom