• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's foolish to assume that Man Utd will finish in the top 4 this season. They'll improve a lot in the summer of course in terms of personne, but you can't look at their performances last season and assume they'll improve tenfold because of a new manager and a few star signings. The gap they have to bridge is massive, the clubs they're competing with will be trying to make that gap wider still over the summer and there's always a risk with a new manager and players

I think they probably will brute-force their way to 4th next year at either our's or Arsenal's expense, but it's by no means a sure thing

If predictions prove true, I can see there being a huge gap between 5th and 6th next May.

Slizz

I would tell them to flip a coin.

Thats cool, I was referring to Salva's post on the previous page saying people should stop predicting Arse getting knocked out of the top 4 because they've been doing it for years and thats the definition of insanity constantly doing or saying the same thing and expecting different results.

Which is simply why I asked how many Arsenal fans probably predicted a trophy win year after year after year with no trophy.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
While id take top4 in a heartbeat next year and nothing else im not confident of it, i think it will take one of the current top4 to underperform quite substantially like we have this season.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
well they sure picked the right people for this

tumblr_n5vl5vxNW41rks7nao4_250.png
tumblr_n5vl5vxNW41rks7nao3_250.png

oh wait

tumblr_n5vl5vxNW41rks7nao2_250.png
tumblr_n5vl5vxNW41rks7nao1_250.png

Conte singing 'Non si vende Pogba' (Pogba doesn't get sold) with the fans, looool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re2wfKMxfrA

AHAHAHA YES CONTE!

and here's Pirlo doing unPirlo-like stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdTdMTZAKWE

Slizz

Next seasons gonna be crazy regardless. You can't expect any team to keep any form going in to the new season with a WC and mass transfers happening smack in the middle of the 'offseason'

Martyn Ziegler ‏@martynziegler 22m

Man City believe they only need 5 home-grown players not 8 for 21-man CL squad and are proceeding on that basis, according to club sources.

Wait what?

Edit: Oooohhhh I see what they've done there. A tad bit presumptuous.

Salvadora

Thats cool, I was referring to Salva's post on the previous page saying people should stop predicting Arse getting knocked out of the top 4 because they've been doing it for years and thats the definition of insanity constantly doing or saying the same thing and expecting different results.

Which is simply why I asked how many Arsenal fans probably predicted a trophy win year after year after year with no trophy.
I'm not sure how that refutes my point.

I was specifically referring the the large number of those (in this thread) who so confidently predict Arsenal will drop out of the top 4 and are proven wrong. It's especially difficult to comprehend when United are being vaunted to take our place when, in terms of playing personal, they are in exactly the same place as they when they finished seventh. In addition to seemingly chasing very unrealistic targets. Our squad has looked better than it has for years. There is money to spend. We've improved our points total from last season and finished seven from the top. I don't think it's difficult to imagine a scenario in which Arsenal actually do better next season. Yet the predictions stay the same. Don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that people predict something else for a change.

Slizz

I'm not sure how that refutes my point.

I was specifically referring the the large number of those (in this thread) who so confidently predict Arsenal will drop out of the top 4 and are proven wrong. It's especially difficult to comprehend when United are being vaunted to take our place when, in terms of playing personal, they are in exactly the same place as they when they finished seventh. In addition to seemingly chasing very unrealistic targets. Our squad has looked better than it has for years. There is money to spend. We've improved our points total from last season and finished seven from the top. I don't think it's difficult to imagine a scenario in which Arsenal actually do better next season. Yet the predictions stay the same. Don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that people predict something else for a change.

I feel you, but every team for the most part improves year to year whether it be roster changes or developing youth. Arsenal and Tottenham are gonna have to manage CL and EL respectively while United don't, just like Everton this year who gave you guys a real good run for your money.

I already stated that it's kind of foolish to predict things now, I'd wait till after the WC. What if Wilshere gets hurt? What if Suarez/Sturridge gets hurt? What if Hazard does? What if Rooney gets hurt? Buncha variables etc.

It's not impossible to string together a couple of facts and predictions to say Arse won't make it out the top 4 each year based on last seasons results.... Arsenal barely scraped by last year, were everyones Arse out of the top 4 predictions so asinine then?

Or, you know, people should stop predicting it after being wrong year after year.

Definition of insanity and all that.

Perhaps they should.

I'm just saying that people view Arsenal as a weak team and club, for obvious reasons, and they will be the club, as always, that the majority of people will think are most vulnerable.

That's not going to change unless you sign amazing players, so just get used to hearing it.

L1NETT

His point is everyone always predicts Arsenal will miss out on the top 4. They are the easy ones to say they'll just fall short

And some of the people predicting they won't do it that weren't even born the last time they didn't

If a club has experience in managing CL and League football, Arsenal kinda do

Slizz

His point is everyone always predicts Arsenal will miss out on the top 4. They are the easy ones to say they'll just fall short

And some of the people predicting they won't do it that weren't even born the last time they didn't

If a club has experience in managing CL and League football, Arsenal kinda do

But you guys weren't safe till the Everton game at the end of the season this year and what the second to last game in the 2013 season?

Why can't I predict you won't make it preseason?

Hixx

Next season - depending on how good a summer Man United have and how decent a manager Spurs bring in - could be the most competitive fight for fourth in many years.

You can fairly safely presume Chelsea and City will be in the top four again, but those last two spots... I wouldn't like to predict who'll finish in them yet.

Manager

The Talksport interview just now
nt5j5sS.png
"One of the most bizarre interviews I've ever done"

Said closer to 50/50 to leave City than 100% staying. Also not about the cake, but about attention. Should've been given a cake (!) when scoring 20 goals and something about not getting attention (from the club?) when Suarez won the award.

The Talksport interview
nt5j5sS.png

Said closer to 50/50 to leave City than 100% staying. Also not about the cake, but about attention. Should've been given a cake (!) when scoring 20 goals and something about not getting attention (from the club?) when Suarez won the award.

image.php

The Talksport interview
nt5j5sS.png

dc are you okay?

dc post if you are okay

L1NETT

But you guys weren't safe till the Everton game at the end of the season this year and what the second to last game in the 2013 season?

Why can't I predict you won't make it preseason?

I don't support Arsenal son I just refute some odd posts pooping on them :p

You are allowed to predict whatever you want

But a decade and a half of evidence is pretty useful on the other side

Hang on, the toure birthday snub wasn't a joke?

Pretty mad innit lol

There are no guarantees in football, we know as well as anyone after the Moyes failure. The most likely team to drop out of top 4 to me would be Liverpool. I say that because we don't know how they'll handle European football along with domestic competitions, especially since they went out of both last season rather early. They don't have the biggest squad either and need to buy quite a few to make up the numbers.

Slizz

I don't support Arsenal son I just refute some odd posts pooping on them :p

You are allowed to predict whatever you want

But a decade and a half of evidence is pretty useful on the other side

Lol ok but then you are proving my initial point....

Predicting Arsenal make the CL spots = Predicting Arsenal win a trophy over the last decade.

And like I said everyone's preseason predictions for Arsenal out of the CL spots the last 2 years would have been accurate up until the last couple weeks of the season...

EDIT: Unless I'm just not seeing something

Guillem says Fabregas has a €40m buyout clause, Barca are happy to let him go, Arsenal do not have first option and United are favourites.

The march to 4th spot is gathering pace.

Baki

Perhaps they should.

I'm just saying that people view Arsenal as a weak team and club, for obvious reasons, and they will be the club, as always, that the majority of people will think are most vulnerable.

That's not going to change unless you sign amazing players, so just get used to hearing it.

And they can keep being wrong year after year.

United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool have all finished outside of the top 4 in the past 10 years. While we've remained in the top 4 for the past 18 years. But hey, let's keep spinning the narrative about Arsenal dropping out because some squads will improve. Same shit different year.

It's not like we don't enjoy proving people wrong.

Can't wait to see your shit team fuck it up again under Van Gaal.

OneTwoTee

Banned
The Talksport interview
nt5j5sS.png

His feelings seem to be yo-yoing a lot

or should that be

Ya-yaing

I'm so sorry

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Guillem says Fabregas has a €40m buyout clause, Barca are happy to let him go, Arsenal do not have first option and United are favourites.

The march to 4th spot is gathering pace.

Guillem also told us that Herrera was a done deal, that the paper work was being signed.

he is a tool

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
And the cycle continues

Spuritis rages

Let's pull up everyone who said they'll finish second. I mean all those quality players. Lamela, Soldado, Paulinho

Dead certs

:p

MoPo is going to make Lamela a beast

you'll see

you'll all see

United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool have all finished outside of the top 4 in the past 10 years. While we've remained in the top 4 for the past 18 years. But hey, let's keep spinning the narrative about Arsenal dropping out because some squads will improve. Same shit different year.

I don't believe you quite understand what I am saying to you.

I am saying that people are going to predict that Arsenal are the team most likely to drop out of the top 4.

This "debate" has been had on this forum and elsewhere time and time again.

You seem to be very offended by this notion.

Save yourself the bother and just maintain quiet confidence because there is nothing you can say that will make people change their minds.

Do you understand?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yaya's 20 goals this season:

scored the 4th goal vs Aston Villa (4-0)
A hat trick on Fulham that includes two penalties (5-0)
Penalty in a 4-1 vs Southampton
the third goal on United in injury time.
a penalty on Spurs (5-1)
third goal in a 6-0 vs West Ham
a penalty (6th goal) vs Arsenal in the 6-3
5th goal on Norwich in a 7-0
the third goal after a red card vs Newcastle in a 4-0.
injury time goal vs Hull
2nd goal vs United a 4-1
first goal in a loss vs Villa.
Winner on Stoke
2nd goal on Crystal Palace
2nd goal on Swansea in a 3-2
A brace on West brom that includes a penalty
Equaliser on Sunderland
First goal in a 4-2 vs Fulham

as impressive as Berbatov's 20 goals

You're due to finish outside the top 4 then. :)

MEN also say Shaw is nearly done too.

It's good to support the world's football club.
I really hope we can wrap Shaw up before the World Cup. I will feel alot better about things and then I can just watch videos of him and think about him.

Guillem also told us that Herrera was a done deal, that the paper work was being signed.

he is a tool
Ballgue has very close contacts with Barcelona and Fabregas though. He is factually correct about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom