• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Arsenal fans should just get used to people saying they'll be dropping out the top 4.

I mean they should be used to it already but it'll be said even more now because United are a more serious competitor for them and Arsenal are going to be perceived as the weakest link.

We've heard that a lot, still has never happened and won't while Wenger is coach. Man Utd, fucking Man united dropped out of the top 4 before we did. Bigger chance of City playing in Europa Lge next season than Arsenal not making top 4 imo.

Baki

I don't believe you quite understand what I am saying to you.

I am saying that people are going to predict that Arsenal are the team most likely to drop out of the top 4.

This "debate" has been had on this forum and elsewhere time and time again.

You seem to be very offended by this notion.

Save yourself the bother and just maintain quiet confidence because there is nothing you can say that will make people change their minds.

Do you understand?

Fair enough. Totally misread your initial post.

It's just annoying that Arsenal fans get flak for having any sort of optimism.

Salvadora

Slizz, absolutely no one is saying you can't predict that Arsenal will drop out of the top four.

Just that past evidence suggests that you perhaps shouldn't.

Would attempt to address the trophy point and the other thing, but I'd rather not be drawn into that.

I really hope we can wrap Shaw up before the World Cup. I will feel alot better about things and then I can just watch videos of him and think about him.

Ballgue has very close contacts with Barcelona and Fabregas though. He is factually correct about this.

Seems to be why we're concentrating on him first. I think we'll give Evra an extension so he and Shaw will be our LBs next year. Bye bye Buttner.

Hello Francesc.

And they can keep being wrong year after year.

United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool have all finished outside of the top 4 in the past 10 years. While we've remained in the top 4 for the past 18 years. But hey, let's keep spinning the narrative about Arsenal dropping out because some squads will improve. Same shit different year.

It's not like we don't enjoy proving people wrong.

Can't wait to see your shit team fuck it up again under Van Gaal.
My head is hurting from this spin.

You have won nothing in the last 10 years compared to all teams you listed above.

The 4th place trophy doesnt really exist, you know.

Baki

Fabregas in a UTD shirt.

No...Just no.

Wenger pls.

My head is hurting from this spin.

You have won nothing in the last 10 years compared to all teams you listed above.

The 4th place trophy doesnt really exist, you know.

We were discussing Arsenal dropping out the top 4. I really do not need to explain myself beyond that.

Guillem says Fabregas has a €40m buyout clause, Barca are happy to let him go, Arsenal do not have first option and United are favourites.

The march to 4th spot is gathering pace.
40 million
c2F3LJm.jpg

wedward

Thats cool, I was referring to Salva's post on the previous page saying people should stop predicting Arse getting knocked out of the top 4 because they've been doing it for years and thats the definition of insanity constantly doing or saying the same thing and expecting different results.

Which is simply why I asked how many Arsenal fans probably predicted a trophy win year after year after year with no trophy.

Honestly I would say most didn't think we would win a trophy. This is the first season I thought we had a chance since 2011. And even then I doubted the ability of the squad to do it.

Feorax

I find the argument that we'll struggle because of Europe an interesting one.

We're basically a walking group of death, meaning we're likely to end up with more than one of PSG, Roma, Madrid, Barca etc in our group.

If we can't get past that group, which many would say was likely, then it's 6 extra games at most. Hardly the recipe for a catastrophic collapse of league form.

However, if we get through a group like that, then just maybe the squad will have the quality to push on that bit further in all competitions.

Seems to be why we're concentrating on him first. I think we'll give Evra an extension so he and Shaw will be our LBs next year. Bye bye Buttner.

Hello Francesc.

That would be ideal. Evra will be a good influence around the place and will likely fare a bit better once he gets the chance to put his legs up for the first time in 7 years. I hope we keep him on but I'm not optimistic. Inter seem to be offering him good terms whilst we are only giving him a years extension.

Buttner is going to stay and you know it. I reckon LvG will fancy him as some kind of left wing option.

dc89

The Talksport interview just now
nt5j5sS.png
"One of the most bizarre interviews I've ever done"

Said closer to 50/50 to leave City than 100% staying. Also not about the cake, but about attention. Should've been given a cake (!) when scoring 20 goals and something about not getting attention (from the club?) when Suarez won the award.

Are the performance related bonuses not enough?! Jesus Christ on a bike.

dc are you okay?

dc post if you are okay

The whole thing is a farce. It's a joke. I bet his team mates are taking the piss out of him.

avaya

We've heard that a lot, still has never happened and won't while Wenger is coach. Man Utd, fucking Man united dropped out of the top 4 before we did. Bigger chance of City playing in Europa Lge next season than Arsenal not making top 4 imo.

Can you pass the crack pipe, the shit you must be smoking must be fucking amazing.

King_Moc

Banned

We're basically a walking group of death, meaning we're likely to end up with more than one of PSG, Roma, Madrid, Barca etc in our group.

If we can't get past that group, which many would say was likely, then it's 6 extra games at most. Hardly the recipe for a catastrophic collapse of league form.

However, if we get through a group like that, then just maybe the squad will have the quality to push on that bit further in all competitions.

Considering our starting 11 is probably better than anyone in pots 2 or 3, i find it hard to see us not going through.

I'm worried about finishing third in the CL group, and it capsizing our season

Slizz

Slizz, absolutely no one is saying you can't predict that Arsenal will drop out of the top four.

Just that past evidence suggests that you perhaps shouldn't.

Would attempt to address the trophy point and the other thing, but I'd rather not be drawn into that.

Fair enough, we don't really need that, wasn't trying to get into that. Just trying to draw some comparison points.

Also like I said lol, no predictions from me till after the WC.

Lol. What the hell does this even mean?

Just that someones preseason prediction of Arse missing the CL spots aren't as farfetched and completely 'unbelievable' as it seems.

dc89

@BroadcastMoose 3m
Aston Villa have released Marc Albrighton and Nathan Delfouneso.

Huh?! Was this in the pipeline?!

6 extra games, midweek, is a noteworthy burden IMO.

Also - unless you finish bottom you'd be dropping into Europa.

wedward

I really hope we can wrap Shaw up before the World Cup. I will feel alot better about things and then I can just watch videos of him and think about him.

Ballgue has very close contacts with Barcelona and Fabregas though. He is factually correct about this.

Wenger confirmed that the clause does exist.

Balague is a hack

Feorax

I'm worried about finishing third in the CL group, and it capsizing our season

If we end up in the Europa league (does that still happen?) then expect that to become the playground for our U21's and fringe players. It'll be like the Shamrock Rovers game.

Also, whilst I might be wrong on this, I feel like Rodgers' priority will always be the league, in a similar way to how Rafa's was always Europe. If it looks like we might drop out of the top 4, I expect all focus will go to the league, regardless of what's happening in the other competitions. With the right squad additions, I expect we'll be ok.

avaya

Its a crying fucking shame Van Gaal is at Man Utd next season, the fuckers will be right back in the mix. Press conferences in general will be amazing.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think Liverpool's Blitzkrieg will work as well next season.

I agree tbh

Don't really understand the tactics that were employed against us last season, plenty of teams tried going toe to toe with our attack and ended up losing 5-2 or whatever. The first time someone defended deep and nullified the space in the box, we didn't have a clue how to handle it.

Think we'll be facing a lot more buses next year

King_Moc

Banned
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think Liverpool's Blitzkrieg will work as well next season.

I think that style of play was pretty much a necessity of the squad makeup. If they sign well, they'll be a lot more considered in their approach to individual games next season.

Or at the very least, just have a better defence.

Manager

The whole thing is a farce. It's a joke. I bet his team mates are taking the piss out of him.

Imagine what the Ivory Coast staff members, some who probably don't earn much, think of this. Or how uncomfortable the first teammate birthday will be at pre-season if he stays.

However, if he leaves, I wonder what Sergio, Silva and Nasri thinks. Hopefully they believe in the project. It won't be easy to replace Yaya.

King_Moc

Banned
I agree tbh

Don't really understand the tactics that were employed against us last season, plenty of teams tried going toe to toe with our attack and ended up losing 5-2 or whatever. The first time someone defended deep and nullified the space in the box, we didn't have a clue how to handle it.

Think we'll be facing a lot more buses next year

Well, Sunderland definitely tried it, and we beat them. They were just hitting form too. I wouldn't expect too many teams to park the bus quite as well as Mourinho.

L1NETT

@BroadcastMoose 3m
Aston Villa have released Marc Albrighton and Nathan Delfouneso.

Huh?! Was this in the pipeline?!

Albrighton gone to Leicester I think

And assume Delfouneso will probably rejoin Cov

Think Arsenal would be a bit silly to bring Fabregas back.

Not that I think we'll sign him either, like.

Why?

He's world class

Ramsey-Fabregas-Wilshere

wedward

Fair enough, we don't really need that, wasn't trying to get into that. Just trying to draw some comparison points.

Also like I said lol, no predictions from me till after the WC.

Just that someones preseason prediction of Arse missing the CL spots aren't as farfetched and completely 'unbelievable' as it seems.

My prediction of Arsenal winning the league was right in December.

Who the fuck cares what the table looks like 3 weeks before the end of the season?

Imagine what the Ivory Coast staff members, some who probably don't earn much, think of this. Or how uncomfortable the first teammate birthday will be at pre-season if he stays. No one will be able to take him seriously.

However, if he leaves, I wonder what Sergio, Silva and Nasri thinks. Hopefully they believe in the project. It won't be easy to replace Yaya.

He's not leaving.

He's gonna get a raise and all the rest of them will think...hmm, did I get flowers on my birthday?

Guillem says Fabregas has a €40m buyout clause, Barca are happy to let him go, Arsenal do not have first option and United are favourites.

The march to 4th spot is gathering pace.

“Fabregas has decided to stay one more year at Barcelona," Wenger said, according to ESPN. "Unless he has changed his mind, I don't know... but that's what I've been told. We have the [first-option] clause in the contract so we would be on alert but at the moment that's not something we're after.”

avaya

How do you guys not get this?

He doesn't want to live in fucking Manchester. Who the fuck would want to live in Manchester? The only place most players want to live is London and that is still a downgrade from the lifestyle in Madrid, Barcelona, Milan.

“Fabregas has decided to stay one more year at Barcelona," Wenger said, according to ESPN. "Unless he has changed his mind, I don't know... but that's what I've been told. We have the [first-option] clause in the contract so we would be on alert but at the moment that's not something we're after.”

I find it very hard to believe that you, Meus Renaissance, believe anything as easily as that.

Manager

He's not leaving.

He's gonna get a raise and all the rest of them will think...hmm, did I get flowers on my birthday?

He won't get an extension, the current contract keeps him at City until he's 34 and it would be madness to continue paying him that salary at that age. Raise would make no sense either and would make City look bad.

I'm not sure he'll be a player that will age gracefully, he's already having issues to finish 90 minutes. Vieira had similar build and quit at 35, but IDK.

I actually think Fernandinho would be able to take over his duty pretty well, box-to-box. Work rate at midfield would go up too. Don't tell Yaya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom