• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot21| Get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this transfer does go through I can't wait to see who we buy with it, daylight robbery :D luiz is a good player I just don't think he is a good defender think he's better as a DM.

Yep. PSG are the ultimate splurges.

He's a master JT. If you were to ask me, I bet the board at City are really pissed off with UEFA. Like, really pissed off. I don't think City saw this coming because they and UEFA always said they were happy with City's progress and the transparency etc.

--

Luiz reportedly having a medical in Brazil.

It seems like City were led to believe that it would be OK to crash the loss limit (€37m?) as long as you move in the right direction. You could tell the chairman was pissed in the video interview. Seems like City communicated everything and then Uefa simply decided they needed to make it matter. The punishments are tough and I bet some players are disappointed about next season's CL.

You jokers.

UEFA didn't even discount that stupid Etihad deal and you still failed.

Oh we moved in the right direction we spent £100m last summer!

You knew you were failing, you hoped they'd let you off.

No m8.

Feorax

mou said recently in an interview that he plans on selling off eto'o but keeping torres at stamford bridge

mou being honest or... mind games?

I thought Eto'o only signed a one year deal?

I would have thought the most likely to stay of the 3 would be Ba. He's not great, but he's at least put in the effort when it was needed of him.

40 million for Luiz
c2F3LJm.jpg
c2F3LJm.jpg
c2F3LJm.jpg

Manager

You jokers.

UEFA didn't even discount that stupid Etihad deal and you still failed.

Oh we moved in the right direction we spent £100m last summer!

You knew you were failing, you hoped they'd let you off.

No m8.

This is not about the punishments, it's about how City were treated. Yes, City should have been punished in some ways, but it's obvious that City management were led to believe that their accounts were more OK than they in reality were. Now Platini take every chance to shit on City in the same sentence as PSG, while their situations are completely different. One is moving in the right direction, the other is not.

This is not about the punishments, it's about how City were treated. Yes, City should have been punished in some ways, but it's obvious that City management were led to believe that their accounts were more OK than they in reality were. Now Platini take every chance to shit on City in the same sentence as PSG, while their situations are completely different. One is moving in the right direction, the other is not.
How can you complain about being misled and just ignore everything City are doing to make their books look better than they are.

You knew FFP the checks were coming at the end of the season. Yet you went ahead and made more than the allowed loss in one window with no chance in hell of making it up.

Oh yeah really moving in the right direction.

If you really wanted to meet FFP you wouldn't have spent like that. You thought they'd let you off but you broke the most fundamental rule. Suck it up.

Hilarious.

Manager

How can you complain about being misled and just ignore everything City are doing to make their books look better than they are.

You knew FFP the checks were coming at the end of the season. Yet you went ahead and made more than the allowed loss in one window with no chance in hell of making it up.

Oh yeah really moving in the right direction.

Hilarious.

For example, ~£20m of last year's wages are on Mancini and his staff being fired. Then you have the exciting contracts from:
Balotelli - £120k (half his wages are on last year's account, sold in January)
Santa Cruz - £90k/week
Maicon - £90k
Adebayor - £120k
Kolo - £90k
Bridge - £80k
Tevez - £180k
Barry - £90k
Lescott - £90k
Johnson - £50k
Sinclair - £50k

These were replaced by:
Jovetic - £80k
Negredo - £80k
Demichelis - £30k
Fernandinho - £80k
Navas - £80k

The wages are going down. Plus, tons of money is being put into the academy, so the youth investements are there.

pappe

I bet Chelsea are now go snoop in and steal atleast 2 of our targets at the last minute. Shaw being one of them.

Revenge of the Mouyes.

Baki

Lol @ City fans complaining about FFP rules. You guys should follow Chelsea lead and actually start making real progress in complying.

"We are moving in the right direction =/= £100m+" net in the summer on transfers and probably another £50-60m net this summer.

No doubt. But Chelsea can get a truly elite striker like Falcao with the Mata and Luiz money

Money has never been a problem for Chelsea. They are the original oligarchs. All the others (PSG, City, Monaco) are just followers.

Hixx

Lol @ City fans complaining about FFP rules. You guys should follow Chelsea lead and actually start making real progress in complying.

"We are moving in the right direction =/= £100m+" net in the summer on transfers and probably another £50-60m net this summer.

A lot of Chelsea's building was done before FFP was a thing...

GorillaJu

Viva pls. City are moving in the right direction financially. This is clear to see.

Even accounting for investment in infrastructure, City made too large of losses. "Moving in the right direction" only takes the argument so far. Ultimately, there are limits, and they were exceeded.

Baki

A lot of Chelsea's building was done before FFP was a thing...

Well sure.

But once FFP came in, Chelsea could've just as easily continued in their ways.

Also, no sympathy for City. Spending £100m+ when you already have a fucking amazing squad.

Manager

Roman bought Chelsea 11 years ago (when they were a top-6 team), it's not the same.

And I just showed why they are moving in the right direction. A lot of the losses, btw, are stuff that can be taken out from FFP, like pre-2010 contracts like City has £80m worth of or infrastructure investments like Etihad campus.

Barzul

Money talks and he wouldn't be a bad Lampard replacement

Money doesn't talk with Cesc. He took a pay cut and gave up circa 4m pounds to move to Barca. That isn't a sign of someone motivated by money. I don't get why people keep using this argument in relation Cesc.

Baki

Money doesn't talk with Cesc. He took a pay cut and gave up circa 4m pounds to move to Barca. That isn't a sign of someone motivated by money. I don't get why people keep using this argument in relation Cesc.

I'd like to be wrong. But you never know.

:'(

Manager

Even accounting for investment in infrastructure, City made too large of losses. "Moving in the right direction" only takes the argument so far. Ultimately, there are limits, and they were exceeded.

All we're saying is that putting PSG and City is a lousy and lazy way of looking at it. Those two teams have a completely different strategies at how to run a club, both now and in the future. Again, punishments were expected, we don't deny that.

Meier

City fans got tired of him when he started talking about London earlier this week. Plus, his price has always been mental. The final issue is also that he apparently has quite complicated third-party ownership, and I think the third-party owns >40% of him.

It's difficult to know how good he is, apparently he's prone to mistakes. Plus, he's only had 21 league appearances this season and 23 last and then 7 before that.

I still don't understand what happened in January. Txiki and Ferran travel to Porto, negotiate about him and Fernando. Some say a summer transfer was agreed then, others say they couldn't agree on anything. Then suddenly Fernando signs a new contract, while his previous one was 6 months out, and now City are supposed to buy him for €20m?!

I would rather we sign Benatia at this point because he clearly has a desire to play for us and is probably a better player at this point. I like Mangala -- when I watch him play, he reminds me a LOT of Vinnie in his style. I think Vinnie could shape him into a truly world class defender. But we should be past mercenaries. If he comes, he should wan't to come and not because we'll pay more than them and Porto need money.

The Fernando situation is a very tricky one. He formally applied to switch to Portugal in December and FIFA dragged their heels for ages (I would expect Pinto da Costa paid someone off, frankly). In the mean time, Porto says if you sign a Bosman deal with City we will make you rot in the reserves and you probably won't make the Portugal squad due to a lack of playing time in the lead up to the World Cup. Mangala also didn't necessarily want to go in January because he wanted to play as often as possible to make the French squad and we couldn't guarantee that -- Porto had already sold Nico Otamendi so he knew he'd be playing most every game (keep in mind they only play 30 games in the league there).

Porto owns most of Fernando (90% I think) whereas they own very little for Mangala. They tried to pull the same thing with us that they did with Moutinho and James -- sell one player for a larger fee (Fernando) and take less for the other so they could get a larger net. Now we may not get Mangala at all and will still have to pay a decent chunk for Fernando.. and FIFA turned down his application to play for Portugal. It's fucked up, but it is what it is. He would be a great addition to the team so I hope we can finalize his signing regardless of the annoying circumstances that surrounded it.

Feorax

Even if they only added Fernando this summer, City's squad will be much better for it next season. When Fernandinho didn't play, he was a big loss for City, and the results showed iirc.

Manager

I would rather we sign Benatia at this point because he clearly has a desire to play for us and is probably a better player at this point. I like Mangala -- when I watch him play, he reminds me a LOT of Vinnie in his style. I think Vinnie could shape him into a truly world class defender. But we should be past mercenaries. If he comes, he should wan't to come and not because we'll pay more than them and Porto need money.

The Fernando situation is a very tricky one. He formally applied to switch to Portugal in December and FIFA dragged their heels for ages (I would expect Pinto da Costa paid someone off, frankly). In the mean time, Porto says if you sign a Bosman deal with City we will make you rot in the reserves and you probably won't make the Portugal squad due to a lack of playing time in the lead up to the World Cup. Mangala also didn't necessarily want to go in January because he wanted to play as often as possible to make the French squad and we couldn't guarantee that.

Porto owns most of Fernando (90% I think) whereas they own very little for Mangala. They tried to pull the same thing with us that they did with Moutinho and James -- sell one player for a larger fee (Fernando) and take less for the other so they could get a larger net. Now we may not get Mangala at all and will still have to pay a decent chunk for Fernando.. and FIFA turned down his application to play for Portugal. It's fucked up, but it is what it is. He would be a great addition to the team so I hope we can finalize his signing regardless of the annoying circumstances that surrounded it.

He would be great but it would seem a bit unprofessional from Txiki and Ferran if it really went out that way. Why the hell wouldn't they talk to Fernando and stop him from signing that extension? Why didn't anyone look closer on the rules about him playing for Portugal? Why are City still chasing him if he's that expensive?

Such a weird scenario, surely someone has done something stupid in all of this. However, one could hope that Fernando negotiated a low release clause. The reported €20m for him is full price and too much in this situation IMO.

3Sixty

NEWS: #SaintsFC are pleased to announce @Omar_rowe has signed a one-year extension to his current deal. #saintsfc

:lol

Fucking Saints twitter trollin' me

Yen

Odd to say you should be past mercenaries when every player you are interested in knows they can get at least £80k from you (if not £100k+)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom