• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Little activity in transfer market historically = season ends with players not performing to expected levels, injuries, same usual mistakes, desperately fight for 4th position by April. Repeat each year. No progress.

To compete in this era you need world class players. On the rare occasion they become available, you compete for their signature. You don't instead stop at 40m+1p, or say no to Fabregas.

This is a silly comment, I'm afraid. Ramsey has had a break-out year and provided us with important goals. He is not a proven world class player with a consistent record of dominant assists. Cazorla will be 30 this time next year and is himself inconsistent, whilst Ozil turns up when he feels like it.

We don't need Fabregas this season, but refusal to resign him signals a continuing of a trend that has failed us over the last few years and led to inevitably sad results for us. Would we be a stronger side with him in the lineup? Absolutely, especially if it means either Ozil or Podolski loses their spot.

It's fine that you want the team progress but look at your competition. Who do you see yourselves being able to overtake in the top 4? Obviously Liverpool are the easiest targets, but in order to progress to where you want to be, you need to compete with City and Chelsea, who have endless budgets. Progress would mean winning the PL or the CL against monstrous clubs and those with bottomless buckets of money. Arsenal, in their financial situation, are not going to suddenly start competing with those other clubs.

I think Arsenal fans are more worried because Spurs, Liverpool, Everton and Southampton are showing the ambition required to climb, while they are stagnant. As I said above, it'll be really hard to fight that stagnation. If Liverpool or Spurs climb into a consolidated top 4 spot, we'll be in the same position as Arsenal in a few years because we'll be met with the same hurdles.

You overrate Fabregas' abilities. He isn't world class, no matter how many times that phrase gets used.

Salazar

I dont get why he is even saying this? Just to let the two alleged clubs who approached him know they were too small time for his greatness? To advertise his availability (we are all aware)? I just dont get it.

Much like his tactics I suppose.

Bloke is toxic. Delighted he's going to be someone else's problem.

Now we just need Rooney gone.

Blablurn

2,w=559,c=0.bild.jpg

Marc

Wow, that racism thread really brought out detectiveGAF at its best. Post #633 for smackdown #2, the guy has been banned now... not sure about the other guy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830734&page=13

To think you risk being outed... over Bieber.

Soccer Aid

World Team
José Mourinho (Manager)

The celebrities

Michael Sheen (Captain)
Gordon Ramsay
Adam Richman
James McAvoy
Patrick Kielty
Nicky Byrne
Santiago Cabrera
Jeremy Renner
Kevin Bridges
Sam Worthington
Mark Salling
Martin Compston

The legends

Alessandro Del Piero
Andriy Shevchenko
Edgar Davids
Edwin van der Sar
Jaap Stam
Clarence Seedorf

England Team

Sam Allardyce (Manager)
Robbie Williams (Assistant Manager)
Peter Reid (Coach)
Bradley Walsh (Coach)

The celebrities

Stephen Moyer
Jack Whitehall
Mark Owen
Olly Murs
Paddy McGuinness
Jonathan Wilkes
Jamie Theakston
Ben Shephard
John Bishop
Marvin Humes
Dominic Cooper
Danny Jones

The legends

Jamie Carragher
Teddy Sheringham
Jamie Redknapp
David Seaman
Matt Le Tissier
Des Walker

Matt Le Tissier is playing?

Shit, now I have to watch it in case there is a 40 yard volley from the corner flag.

hiroshawn

Banned
Does he think he has time to rebuild another team or something? World class, proven player that is certain to get us the most assists and he says no? This is the mentality that has got us where we are for the past 8 years. This is why I never wanted him to sign that damn extension.

RVP, Nasri and Fabregas all playing for our PL rivals because of decisions that could have been easily avoided. I don't have the time for this anymore

The fundamental problem is that we have tolerated this for almost a decade. Nothing will change until you see vast empty seats in the ground and protests outside.

Ultimately, I would rather have Fabregas this summer instead of Wenger.

We don't need Fabregas plain and simple. Why spend 30+mil for a squad player? Him and Ramsey can't start together and he is starting over our 45mil man Ozil. We need wingers, strikers a DM and a RB, maybe even a CB too. Fabregas is a waste of money.

Marc

We don't need Fabregas plain and simple. Why spend 30+mil for a squad player? Him and Ramsey can't start together and he is starting over our 45mil man Ozil. We need wingers, strikers a DM and a RB, maybe even a CB too. Fabregas is a waste of money.

Because he is better than Cazorla, Arteta, Wilshere and Ramsey bar last season (potentially every season going forward now, because its not gay if its with Aaron Ramsey). Most importantly he will strengthen your rivals, if Arsenal are serious about winning the league (clearly not) then you do your very best to undermine your rivals (like RVP, Nasri, Clichy, Ade etc.).

Sell one of the other midfielders to another league to get some money back to help buy those other players. It puts Arsenal in the driving seat and puts your opponents at a disadvantage.

Also lets not underestimate what a name can do for you, as soon as the likes of Chelsea and Man City had some name players they could then go out and attract even bigger names. Having Fabregas on your books is a negotiating plus, everyone has heard of him. "Come play at Arsenal with Fabregas and Ozil." - They sure as shit aren't going to join because you have Wilshere lets be honest here.

Blackhead

Redarse
Somewhat off topic:
Im absolutely disgusted trolls or not about this Lebron gave up on his team crap. I've had cramps on the court and I actually had to stop playing for days...so I dont understand how nerds on a video fucking game forum judging this shit and they've probably havent done a second of physical activity in their whole lives

Lol. football players play in the heat, get cramps all the time and yet manage to survive without timeouts and unlimited substitutions.

Lightning

Banned
I understand this argument and obviously Ozil plays. In my opinion Ozil is the best no 10 in the world and would play him regardless. The issue I have is last season Ramsey got a serious injury because we overplayed him and the gap between our starting 11 and our bench players is too large.

Ramsey may kick on this coming season, may not, we won't know until next season but we do know that he can't play every week and we struggle without him so the position is clearly an issue. Wilshere another injury issue, Chamberlain another injury issue, Arteta legs have gone, Flamini yellow card king etc... The thing is last season our season died when Ramaey and Ozil got injured.

Hopefully we can bring in the people required to help prevent the injuries but I'm not confident of that either.

Plainly speaking though for someone to think Bender or Schneiderlin would benefit us more than Fabregas is bemusing to me.

Oddmorsel, Southampton are finished, Spurs are in a absolute mess and Everton will never make top 4. Arsenal, City, United, Chelsea and Liverpool are the only ones capable. There is no looking over the shoulder at any of the clubs you mentioned.

---

I completely missed this last night, but Fabio Aurelio has retired. Will also remember him for that free kick against Chelsea (and countless injuries): http://goal.lfc.vn/fabio-aurelio-goals-v-man-utd-v-chelsea/

Shame, fucking quality leftback when matchfit. The way our players seem to just fall off the map after leaving is a little odd.

Kind of miss the platform we used to have to build from tbh

That Reina>Mignolet
That Aurelio>Flanagan/Enrique
That Arbeloa>Johnson
That Carragher>Skrtel
That Agger>Sakho

And that midfield trio was among the best in the world, no question

Plasma

Banned

I wouldn't mind passing on Cesc if we did strengthen the team in those positions but I'm not confident that we will at all. Think we'll sign a striker finally and a RB to replace Sagna and then Wenger will leave it at that.

So the 30 minute MGSV gameplay demo is only being shown behind closed doors to the press. Bugger

And those cuntfucks will whinge about having to take time out of their day to see it. Would rather they did these demos for enthusiastic bloggers than the jaded helmets in the media.

Plasma

Banned
So the 30 minute MGSV gameplay demo is only being shown behind closed doors to the press. Bugger

Does anyone even read previews anymore from the press? Honestly the best way to market a game now is to release a video and get everyone hyped.

jtb

Banned
Fabregas was world class. hasn't shown that class since he went to Barca though.

I don't buy that Ramsey and Fabregas can't start together, though. Wenger played Arteta and Ramsey plenty of times and playing Fabregas in place of Arteta would be equally flimsy but a hell of a lot more creative and lethal going forward. either way, Arteta desperately needs replacing—whether with a creative midfielder or a defensive minded one. and if we're getting a creative one, I'd definitely take Fabregas

BigBoss

yes he has, was instrumental when they won the league the previous season. I think Barca are crazy to even think of selling him

He was great the first half of the season when Barca were playing more direct, everything went to shit after they reverted back to being obsessed with possession after the Catalan press bitched nonstop at Martino. I'll never forget when Martino was criticized after a 5-0 victory because Barca had less possession for the first time in who knows how many years, what a bunch of windowlickers.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
He was great the first half of the season when Barca were playing more direct, everything went to shit after they reverted back to being obsessed with possession after the Catalan press bitched nonstop at Martino. I'll never forget when Martino was criticized after a 5-0 victory because Barca had less possession for the first time in who knows how many years, what a bunch of windowlickers.

But Fabregas always did the same shit, played excepcionally well during the first half of the season, then become shit almost inexplicably during the second half. Same thing happened with 3 different coaches (Pep, Tito, Martino).

pappe

Is Fabregas the type of midfielder United need? Or is he too similar to Mata and Kagawa?

We need a deep playing playmaker with defensive abilities. I am sure he can adapt to play as a deep lying playmaker but we will concede a ton of goals with him as CM next to Carrick. But playing him instead of Carrick and a strong DM next to him and Mata ahead of him will work
Playing 4-3-3 with him Carrick and the DM can work very well but then in the 4-3-3 Mata and Kagawa instead of Cesc will work equally well.

Go_Ly_Dow

We need a deep playing playmaker with defensive abilities. I am sure he can adapt to play as a deep lying playmaker but we will concede a ton of goals with him as CM next to Carrick. But playing him instead of Carrick and a strong DM next to him and Mata ahead of him will work
Playing 4-3-3 with him Carrick and the DM can work very well but then in the 4-3-3 Mata and Kagawa instead of Cesc will work equally well.

Oh right. Well I'm a big fan of his work. Would love to see him come, but not at the expense of Mata and Kagawa if it means another season of constant rotation.

Is 4-3-3 LVGs default formation?

just a heads up for the world cup thread: fifa has updated their world rankings for the month of june

qV9bO8J.png

hey footygaf the office world cup pool is using this list for the random draw, the top 16 will go into one box and the rest go into a wildcard box and we each have to draw two teams. what are my chances of actually winning this thing

Jack cw

Apparently with Moyes gone, the interest in Kroos is also gone and I believe that this link with Real is nothing more than pressuring the Bayern board but I like it that way. Kroos gambled and he lost. He either signs his extension with the 6-7 million Bayern is offering or leaves.

Edit:
Why is Germany on second position?
Is this some kind of shifted reality or is FootyGaf rating Germany that high too?

I'm surprised people aren't talking more about Carrick being replaced, especially as he's the wrong side of 30. He's lucky his non-performances flew under the radar last year in the wake of the Moyes-abuse.

I'm surprised people aren't talking more about Carrick being replaced, especially as he's the wrong side of 30. He's lucky his non-performances flew under the radar last year in the wake of the Moyes-abuse.

Carrick had it all. A lot of casual fans were too busy attacking Moyes, Cleverley, and Fellaini.

GorillaJu

France has some great defenders right now. Mangala, Varane and Sakho—all three highly rated CBs.

I don't know why exactly but when I saw a picture of Mangala I knew he was a good player immediately. He just has some assured look about him.

bjaelke

France has some great defenders right now. Mangala, Varane and Sakho—all three highly rated CBs.

I don't know why exactly but when I saw a picture of Mangala I knew he was a good player immediately. He just has some assured look about him.

They're going to win the EC in 16. Against Croatia.

Carbonox

Is Jack Colback any good? He'll be signing for Newcastle on a free. Odd signing a Sunderland player but he wants to remain in that region of the country and I guess anyone and their nan is an improvement over Dan Gosling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom