• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arsenal end 9 year trophy wait
Madrid end 12 year La Decima wait
Atletico end 18 year La Liga wait
Spurs sell Gareth Bale

It was the year of teams removing monkeys from their spines

Shame we royally fucked up. The Gerrard slip feels like one of those moments I'll be thinking about for decades, unless we somehow win it soon

I like how Madrid fans make it seem like waiting 12 years to win a CL is an excruciating wait when fans of the vast majority of teams have never see their team win the thing even once.

9LEU93a.png

GorillaJu

The Gerrard slip wasn't inconsequential but it will be remembered as the wrench in our cogs for years I'm sure.

Again, the only time period at which we were ahead of City, despite being top of the table, is when we beat them. As long as they had their two games in hand we were never far in front.

For a team to go 14 wins in a row to close out a season would be unprecedented—we were always going to drop points somewhere, and the moment we did, it was back in City's hands. We only had a two or three week span where we were mathematically in the stronger position, accounting for their games in hand.

Gerrard's set piece deliveries and near perfect penalty record (his only miss being his third penalty vs United in a game we won 3-0) took us to that position we found ourselves in.

I expect people to make a joke out of Gerrard's slip up, because it's the perfect Lollerpools moment, but fans of our team should see it for what it was and not heap criticism unfairly on a player who was runner-up for POTY.

The Gerrard slip wasn't inconsequential but it will be remembered as the wrench in our cogs for years I'm sure.

Again, the only time period at which we were ahead of City, despite being top of the table, is when we beat them. As long as they had their two games in hand we were never far in front.

For a team to go 14 wins in a row to close out a season would be unprecedented—we were always going to drop points somewhere, and the moment we did, it was back in City's hands. We only had a two or three week span where we were mathematically in the stronger position, accounting for their games in hand.

Gerrard's set piece deliveries and near perfect penalty record (his only miss being his third penalty vs United in a game we won 3-0) took us to that position we found ourselves in.

I expect people to make a joke out of Gerrard's slip up, because it's the perfect Lollerpools moment, but fans of our team should see it for what it was and not heap criticism unfairly on a player who was runner-up for POTY.

Just to say, I don't resent Gerrard at all. I resent the fact that he took his eye off the ball, but you'd have to be some twat to hold it against him. The guy's a hero, personally. Need to get Steve Peters working to put that disappointment to productve use next year and make sure it doesn't play on his mind negatively. The pain we felt, and feel, from his slip must be multiplied a billion times for him.

After the City game, it really felt like it was happening though. Norwich dented my confidence, and Chelsea was like a haymaker that left us punch-drunk for the rest of the fight.

Still, MOTHERFUCKING CHAMPIONS LEAGUE NIGHTS BACK AT ANFIELD

edit: I want to hear the words 'I'll be at Liverpool in September' direct from Suarez. Maybe it'd be a lie or an assumption that Madrid won't bid, but I'm not comfortable just waiting for them to try and prise him away from us.

edit2: Also want us to get most of our business done early, particularly in defense. It's imperative that we come racing out the blocks next year. As we showed, you don't want to be relying on massive, unbelievable winning streaks to get you into the title race from nowhere. Far better to pick the points up throughout the season, and hope for one or two five-game-streaks to give yourself breathing room.

MPW

edit: I want to hear the words 'I'll be at Liverpool in September' direct from Suarez. Maybe it'd be a lie or an assumption that Madrid won't bid, but I'm not comfortable just waiting for them to try and prise him away from us.

lol why would he do that after last summer he basically begged real madrid to buy him?

real will pass on suarez, psg will make an offer pool just can't refuse and sell suarez

So now we buy Suarez and send Benzema to fuck and win la Undecima, right?
Uus4Plt.png

perez bought benz, he's going nowhere unfortunately

suarez ain't coming

anyway, celebration time!

Tubie

edit2: Also want us to get most of our business done early, particularly in defense. It's imperative that we come racing out the blocks next year. As we showed, you don't want to be relying on massive, unbelievable winning streaks to get you into the title race from nowhere. Far better to pick the points up throughout the season, and hope for one or two five-game-streaks to give yourself breathing room.

Pick any of the Atletico CBs (Miranda/Godin). They both probably have a reasonable price tag. That's the real shame from this, every single Atletico player has a reasonable price tag. This is all due to the historic incompetence from their management even though they always seem to discover great player and sell them for 10x of their original cost (Kun, Torres, Forlan, Falcao and now Costa) and are still in the shitter.

lol why would he do that after last summer he basically begged real madrid to buy him?

real will pass on suarez, psg will make an offer pool just can't refuse and sell suarez

suarez ain't coming

PSG buying him would be well beyond a vanity buy, and into the realms of probable money-laundering. Plus, given the standard they set themselves with Luiz, and the apparent non-existence of a buyout clause (or at least one that applies when we've qualified for the CL), we'd be asking for £140m+ from those fucks, I hope,

Suen

PSG buying him would be well beyond a vanity buy, and into the realms of probable money-laundering. Plus, given the standard they set themselves with Luiz, and the apparent non-existence of a buyout clause (or at least one that applies when we've qualified for the CL), we'd be asking for £140m+ from those fucks, I hope,
Sell him to Arse for £40m plus £2.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I like how Madrid fans make it seem like waiting 12 years to win a CL is an excruciating wait when fans of the vast majority of teams have never see their team win the thing even once.

Only 3 minutes more...D:

Hydrargyrus

Awesome final.

Best I've ever seen since the Liverpool-Bayern.

Segio Ramos' goal was unbelievable, almost unexpected at that time. The extra time was exciting at first, but at the end I felt sorry for the Atleti. I like the Real, but I don't have bad feelings about the Atleti (not like the Barsa) and I think that 2-1 was enough, they didn't deserve such a huge difference.

So congrats to Atleti for such a good year, for their attitude and his supporters. Congrats to the Real, for its amazing season, with "la copa del Rey" and the Champions League and show that they are a freaking good team (the match with Bayern will be for the history).

And most of all, congrats to the spanish football (fútbol): Sevilla (UEFA League), Atleti (Champions finalist) and Madrid (Champions winner).

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal end 9 year trophy wait
Madrid end 12 year La Decima wait
Atletico end 18 year La Liga wait
Spurs sell Gareth Bale

It was the year of teams removing monkeys from their spines

Shame we royally fucked up. The Gerrard slip feels like one of those moments I'll be thinking about for decades, unless we somehow win it soon
Liverpool let the group down. Really feel for Gerrard, could be his last chance. Be tougher for our clubs next season.

And Madrid get rid of Mourinho, do business with Arsenal and win the CL. Better off without that twat Mou.

POTM is Dimaria and goat this season (besides Ronnie)
Bale was great too, hope he uses his potential

I almost fuckiung die with that goal. Ramos, you sexy magnificient bastard

Turok_TTZ

Wooooooord. It's even more weird to me because he looks like someone who sweats while he eats.
After instanbul, you really think Carlo will sweat over this? He's been through worse.

suarez ain't coming

Why is it I am the only informed madrid man here?
I'll repeat what I said because this is how it is atm:
Real Madrid will only go for Suarez if we fail to renew Benzema. it all hinges on Benz renewing. We're trying to renew Benzema but so far we're still negotiating since January.
Next season is his last year in his current contract. Hence the importance of him renewing because if we fail, this summer will be our only chance to cash in on him.

For what it's worth, I believe Carlo wants to have him renewed iirc. Hopefully we are successful in our efforts to resign benz to a new and improved deal.

Lightning

Banned
Was it Lightning who said Ozil deserved a CL win? Based on fucking what?
Based on the fact he's been a consistently very good player for Madrid, far superior to Isco, and Isco should never have been purchased and if he hadn't Ozil would be having the CL instead.

Of course this would have also meant that Arsenal end the season trophyless but Ozil did deserve a CL. My only regret since we ain't winning the CL any time soon, if ever, so he'll need to leave to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom