• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuturusX

looooooooooool

but he already has a World Cup!

That's why he can say that bullshit. I said trade one for the other. I know he has one...that's what makes his lie even more intolerable. He probably said the same thing about his other achievements when he won the World Cup...

Not sure how I feel about Fargo, to be honest.

Like, it's really really well made. Lots of interesting characters and scenes, and it's beautifully shot with a great soundtrack. But I can't help but feel like it's missing something that would tie it all together.

Agreed. It's clearly really good without being compelling.

Kosma

Banned
I dont think world cup beats cl or vice versa. Both have their ups and downs.

In the CL you have teams with too much (borrowed) money that dominate. At the World Cup you have populous nations that rule. So the players are kind if always set already. No surprises.

Level of play is higher in the CL, but the WC is more special cause its only once every 4 years and it unites the country.

Wilbur

Banned
World Cup always feels that more special. I love seeing all the flags come out, and people putting stickers in their cars, and my whole family watching football with me... the mood it brings to the country is absolutely infectious.

Messi

Pulga need people are annoyed with him, not salty at Real Madrid.

There's a difference. Real is one of the most prestigious football club in history with over decades filled with success, the other is a cunt.

OpulentShadyAracari.gif

pulga

Banned
I can't believe you fuckwits kill joyed Pulga's win over a pick. What absolute tossers. It's a cl trophy for fucks sake.

Takes more than a couple of sad people on an internet forum to kill my joy, sweet Lightning. I'm listening to the new Madrid anthem on repeat and grinning from ear to ear :) I can't wait to go to the Bernabeu and hear it thunder to the sound of 80 thousand voices!

Cappa

Banned
I dont think world cup beats cl or vice versa. Both have their ups and downs.

In the CL you have teams with too much (borrowed) money that dominate. At the World Cup you have populous nations that rule.

Level of play is higher in the CL, but the WC is more special cause its only once every 4 years and it unites the country.

World cup is exciting exactly that it's country vs country it's every 4 years etc etc.

Domestic club level will always be more competitive than national team level.... international friendlies are absolutely a disaster for national clubs and every year there is always some major team affected by star players being injured during these friendlies.

Comparing World cup to Champions League as to what title is more important is silly because neither have to do with the other.

edit:

Also the theory that big money means you'll dominate every year.... well we see it season after season teams spending xxxx amount of money and never doing anything whether in CL or in domestic leagues...... Tottenham has done absolutely nothing with all the money they spent etc.... money doesn't mean titles

Dortmund, Atletico, and vast others are proving that... Montpellier etc

Derp1na

Banned
The thing I love most about the World Cup is knowing the every game is going to result in the pain of an entire nation.

100% serious.

Lightning

Banned
read the thread you utter fucking gertrude

a pick

what are you even talking about
A few pictures. Phone auto corrected on me and I have read the thread unfortunately.

When pulga keeps doing it in weeks time like bla done last year then complain but now? Seriously? It's the CL!

FuturusX

For whom? For yourself? Or every professional player in the world? See my post. You cannot make a generalized statement like that based solely on your own opinion.

Of course it's a general statement...meaning I believe most of them would respond that way. But hey go run a poll or something find the actual truth. I mean isn't that like saying the PL League is better than the CL? Who can really say...

Problem is money of course. CL will make you more over the course of your career...so to average player perhaps in the mind it might feel that way.

But in the heart and soul of every player. The World Cup is where dreams lie...any player who answers otherwise is lying to you and himself.

World Cup always feels that more special. I love seeing all the flags come out, and people putting stickers in their cars, and my whole family watching football with me... the mood it brings to the country is absolutely infectious.

My girlfriend turned to me and said "we are betting on the world cup yeah?, I'm gonna watch every game"

I came so hard my dick sneezed

Wilbur

Banned
A few pictures. Phone auto corrected on me and I have read the thread unfortunately.

When pulga keeps doing it in weeks time like bla done last year then complain but now? Seriously? It's the CL!

... yet again, no one is complaining because of the pictures :lol

letters as well, jesus christ

im out, im as bored of this as you all are.

feel

Let the guy celebrate and spam pictures, his team won the fucking champions league. Season's over what else there to post about right now, wildly stupid EPL transfer rumors and whatsapp group in-jokes? Please. It's the same every year and when your team wins the ucl you will also be entitled to run a picture party for a week if you want to. Leave the thread for a few days if it bothers you that much.

edit- this is not directed at anyone in particular

Messi

Let the guy celebrate and spam pictures, his team won the fucking champions league. Season's over what else there to post about right now, wildly stupid EPL transfer rumors and whatsapp group in-jokes? Please. It's the same every year and when your team wins the ucl you will also be entitled to run a picture party for a week if you want to. Leave the thread for a few days if it bothers you that much.

It's not about the pictures...once again.

I am happy for plug for the record.

Kosma

Banned
In some ways the WC is more boring though if you are not from one of the 5/6 countries that win it.

At least in the CL there is always the chance of some new oil mogul to inject money in some shite team (city/chelsea) to propel them forward. Also the added bonus of seeing billion euro teams crash and burn.

But if im honest im such a sucker for the ec/wc buzz. Love it.

bobito

Banned
edit:

Also the theory that big money means you'll dominate every year.... well we see it season after season teams spending xxxx amount of money and never doing anything whether in CL or in domestic leagues...... Tottenham has done absolutely nothing with all the money they spent etc.... money doesn't mean titles

Dortmund, Atletico, and vast others are proving that... Montpellier etc

What? spurs net spend is pretty much zero.

pulga

Banned
FYI, I only started becoming hostile after people here started berating me for the pictures and talking shit about Madrid. I was pretty fucking tranquil until then, so the Slowpoke and friends can do one.

edit: MADRID YOU MONEY HUNGRY WHORES WHY IS THE NEW ANTHEM $1 ON ITUNES SHOULD BE FREE YOU CUNTS

Messi

FYI, I only started becoming hostile after people here started berating me for the pictures and talking shit about Madrid. I was pretty fucking tranquil until then, so the Slowpoke and friends can do one.

The hostility is not helping

Kosma

Banned
But big money does dominate. What where the top 8 cl teams this season and what are their budgets?

Sure there can ways be an outlier once in a while but if you dont have 200 million euro a year you wont be in the final 8 consistently.

pulga

Banned
The hostility is not helping

Hostility which began directed at me when all I was doing was posting pictures. Like a few people have said, it's a damn CL title, the tenth one to booth, and MadridGAF has every right to celebrate.

FuturusX

Can't believe this is even a thing. The Earth is round, gravity is a force and the World Cup is the highest accolade of a footballing career right?

Has Blatter finally broken the World Cup?

What's the matter with you people?

cremino

Anderlecht were only made to look like one of the better teams back then because they were in the European Cup every year because they kept winning their backwater league and got to the latter stages of the European Cup because they were coming up against even worse teams. Would they have been a very good team back then if the European Cup featured the top few Spanish, English, German (not East Germany who regularly sent canon fodder to the European Cup, i.e. Dynamo Dresden) French, Italian and Dutch teams? Of course not.

It was technically the number one competition but everyone knew the UEFA Cup was the tougher competition. The UEFA Cup was the people's cup. Imagine the Champions League and Europa Cup having the same format in 2014. I know which competition I'd want to watch.

Anderlecht also won the Uefa cup and they won the belgian championship 3 times in the 70's and 4 times in the 80's, far from a walkover.. and there wasn't much gap beetween the top european leagues and the others compared to today.. Dynamo Dresden reach a Uefa cup semifinal in 1989 and before them, Leipzig reached that stage in 1973..Magdeburg won a CWC and finally no East Germany team ever reached a EC semifinal

jtb

Banned
Atletico and Dortmund are the exceptions that prove the rule.

plus, the fact that clubs that don't/can't spend are always unable to sustain that success bc of lack of funds further proves that there is clear correlation and causal link between spending money and football success.

The thing I love most about the World Cup is knowing the every game is going to result in the pain of an entire nation.

100% serious.

My favorite moment in World Cup history was when that Ahn Jung-hwan was sacked the next day by his Italian club Perugia for scoring the golden goal against Italy.

So fucking salty.

EDIT: I'm more interested for Dota The International 2014 than the World Cup.

It partly has to do with England always being a disappointment year after year.

Jarnet87

Welbeck is the one guy Fergie should have molded into a midfielder (semi srs). He's big, pretty strong for his size, has got great stamina and speed, puts in a quality defensive shift, and has moments of attacking brilliance. He'd of made a quality box to box man instead of being a pretty ineffective attacking winger/decent striker.

Messi

Hostility which began directed at me when all I was doing was posting pictures. Like a few people have said, it's a damn CL title, the tenth one to booth, and MadridGAF has every right to celebrate.

I don't disagree with you.

The CL is the peak of what I care about in football. I don't care much for the world cup. Sure I'll watch it but I'd rather Barca win the CL. Then again Irish people don't have much to cheer for on the international stage.

K1LLER7

Apparently Tottenham will receive £15m from Madrid as part of a clause in both Modric's and Bale's contracts, in regards to the CL wins.

EmiPrime

plus, the fact that clubs that don't/can't spend are always unable to sustain that success bc of lack of funds further proves that there is clear correlation and causal link between spending money and football success.

Atletico should sell their training ground to the Madrid city council for 500m euros.

It worked for Real. :rolleyes:

Pennywise

plus, the fact that clubs that don't spend are always unable to sustain that success bc of lack of funds further proves that there is clear correlation and causal link between spending money and football success.

You know that Dortmund lost against this years CL winner and was the only team that beat them ?

Plus they got more points in the league than last year, even without Götze or lots of injuries...

They're working pretty well.

And city is spending truckloads of money, yet they fail miserably in europe each year.

Of course it's a fact that money is a factor.
It's just no guarantee and with alot of hard work other clubs might be also able to achieve something.

cremino

Dortmund started to spend some good money last summer with Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan and they will spend again this summer, not at the level of Bayern, Real, Barca or other PL clubs of course but they aren't really a poor club anymore

Lightning

Banned
Dortmund started to spend some good money last summer with Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan and they will spend again this summer, not at the level of Bayern, Real, Barca or other PL clubs of course but they aren't really a poor club anymore
The loss of Lewa will set them back a lot though. Not only replacing the player but he was worth a lot of money they miss out on with him moving for a free.

Give me a few pictures over fucking United
Formations any day.

And I don't like Madrid.

Be careful what you wish for. One day when Pulga's inundated you with the sickening, cloying triumphalism of the most expensive football dynasty in history you'll be begging to find out which wing we'll be playing Nani on.

pulga

Banned
wait-- speaking of La Saeta, where the hell was he? I would've LOVED to see Di Stefano lift La Decima! He's won the first five and got to see the team win the other five! WHERE IS HE ;_;

BoXzsg3CYAAOcSg.jpg

YAAAA CORREEEE LA SAEEETAAA YA ATACAAA MI MADRID!!!! <3 <3 <3

HALA MADRID Y NADA MAS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom