• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Yes, it is the case. Take a look at the thread before you commit to the keyboard, slowpoke.

so in the last page -

what is more important to you guys. the national title or the champions league?

Premier League > CL

Liverpool last won the champs league and has the record number for a British club. I vote champs league.

I think most fans of PL teams, and the players themselves, would put the league well ahead of the CL. Perhaps City really covet the CL title since it would be their first, like Chelsea did before Chels v Bayern.

I would much rather win the league than the CL. Not that it isn't special, but it's a knockout tournament and those are never as meaningful as a full season of games, IMO.

Edit:
Dammit bla stop asking so many questions that I feel compelled to answer. Ass of course! Who cares about tits? I like them small.

I would go with Champions League too. We all know that we can dominate the domestic league. I rather wanna see Bayern putting some more emphasis on the CL in the next years.

all various answers. You -

Of course the underachieving premfaces are the ones who prefer the league lol

A league is nothing compared to the glory of a Champions League trophy.

then -

This might prove to be contentious with a lot of people but I think a CL win without a league title to go with it feels a little incomplete.

Don't get me wrong - you're not complaining.

I kind of think European Cup glory is kind of the icing on the cake and everything else leads up to that moment when your team is complete and irrepressible. And if you don't win the league - you haven't achieved that.
I understand.

It's different for different leagues and clubs also.

Just the way I feel as I relish the gradual development of the team and squad. When we won the double in 2008 it felt perfect because the team had grown over the past 2-3 years to that moment.

For Real Madrid this was an important moment though and well deserved.

I don't think the league title is more important. I don't think one is more important than the other full stop.

But maybe the league title has more value in England than it does in Spain. I don't know. It's a big big deal here to be Champions and it is the central core of the season.

I don't know if that is the same for you.

Yeah, I'd rather win the league. Quality measured over the course of 38 games, being the best team in the country... like I say, Real can't really be called the best team in Europe when they aren't the best team in their country, you know? Chelsea finished sixth and won the CL.

I absolutely love them both, but if I had to pick: league.

and then, in reply to an ajax fan -

ive been to more Madrid and Juventus matches than United fans in here have even sniffed Old Trafford, baby ;)

and then -

I find it funny how some set of fans of the PL find the league more important than the CL. It's like they know their teams are so mediocre that they don't have a chance of bagging la Orejona, so they kid themselves into thinking the league title is better lololol

but maybe Liverpool fans are different, them being proper European powerhouses and not joke clubs lol

FootballFan congratulating another Madrid fan -

Congrats on the CL #10 man. Enjoy it madridista :)

dat detective gaf work

Pulga need people are annoyed with him, not salty at Real Madrid.

There's a difference. Real is one of the most prestigious football club in history with over decades filled with success, the other is a cunt.

cremino

And let's see the shit Romanian lager's route to the final:

Vejle 2-5 Steaua
Budapbest Honved 2-4 Steaua
Steaua 1-0 Kuusysi
Anderlecht 1-3 Steaua

That's a pretty typical route to a European Cup final before the format got changed.
You can fluke a final win here and then. It happens.

The UEFA Cup was the more prestigious competition for the cultured football clubs and football fans.

Nope ...The Uefa cup has always been behind the European cup and the CWC in terms of prestige and Anderlecht was a very good team back then...By your logic every EC beetween 1955 and 1992 was a second rate competition

Was playing the FIFA World Cup game as Belgium and got to the final and to my surprise my opponent was England! They came second in the group behind Italy and then beat Columbia 1-0, Brazil 3-2 and then Germany 2-1 in the semis. Top Scorer for England - Ashley Young
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
!

I wonder what would happen in this country if we ever won the World Cup again?

Wilbur

Banned
Was playing the FIFA World Cup game as Belgium and got to the final and to my surprise my opponent was England! They came second in the group behind Italy and then beat Columbia 1-0, Brazil 3-2 and then Germany 2-1 in the semis. Top Scorer for England - Ashley Young
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
!

Is the PS4 update UT only? need that tournament mode

pulga

Banned
so in the last page -

all various answers. You -

then -

and then, in reply to an ajax fan -

and then -

FootballFan congratulating another Madrid fan -

dat detective gaf work

brought upon after a day of people still shit talking madrid, slowpoke

context, how does it work?

Wilbur

Banned
brought upon after a day of people still shit talking madrid, slowpoke

context, how does it work?

Context? So in the context of people rationally answering what they prefer, and you post that :lol

what a fucking dumb argument, jesus christ. I'm as bored of this as I am of you, I'm DONE

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
!

I love that game. As a rule I only ver play online as 4 star or lower. Won it with Ghana so now trying with 3 star Jamaica. Dat sweat.

Scum

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
!

itshappening.gif

Cappa

Banned
I personally think a league title is important it proves a team was more consistent throughout the year.

with that being said.... I don't think one wins a Champions league nowadays out of sheer luck and to call it less important than a domestic title is ridiculous.

Does everyone forget how Real Madrid got into the final and how they dismantled a Bayern Munich squad who ran away with the Bundlesliga with nearly a month of games left?

Atletico de Madrid had a fantastic season...but us winning the champions league title is an incredible feat I don't really care what anyone has to say about that respect.

Also, Real Madrid had various issues throught the year... we were without Xabi for a few games to start, than Ronaldo for a few, Bale, Di Maria etc etc we had a laundry list of injuries to deal with. Atletico, up until the end of the season, had the luxury of having a relatively healthy squad all year, still hats off to them and Cholo Simeone... he's done a fantastic job with those cunts, I mean players.

Kosma

Banned
Wonder how Honduras will do at the World Cup.

But Pulga will prob support Spain cause his uncle gave him a t shirt.

Is the PS4 update UT only? need that tournament mode

PS4 has some kind of kick off mode as well coming on Thursday. I think all it adds is the new kits/squads and the Maracana stadium. Sucks but I guess Euro '16 will be the next tournament game on the current gen consoles.

GorillaJu

Jealousy doesn't factor into my thinking when it comes to sports, ever. The goal of supporting a team isn't to eventually see them win, it's to develop an affinity for a team's players and culture.

Having an illustrious history may be a point of pride for a club, but as a fan I care a lot less about what the club achieved in the years before I was born—I'd much rather watch them play and enjoy supporting them, though winning does have its merits.

FuturusX

Ask any professional player what trophy and medal they would most like to have or treasure most? You will not hear anything about that pony Champions League, nope.

World Cup baby!!!!! Yeeeaaahhh!!!!

(Ok I'm done go back to killing Pulga)

Cappa

Banned
if spain's roster consists of Villa and Torres as our forwards... which it just may I'd say our chances of winning this year are slim to none.

pulga

Banned
Ask any professional player what trophy and medal they would most like to have or treasure most? You will not hear anything about that pony Champions League, nope.

World Cup baby!!!!! Yeeeaaahhh!!!!

(Ok I'm done go back to killing Pulga)

Nope

"This is more. It's so important, it's more than the World Cup," Casillas told Sport.

"It's been so long, the 10th, it's a round number, a perfect number. I want to congratulate those who have come here and thank the fans who have not said anything bad."

Derp1na

Banned
Nope ...The Uefa cup has always been behind the European cup and the CWC in terms of prestige and Anderlecht was a very good team back then...By your logic every EC beetween 1955 and 1992 was a second rate competition

Anderlecht were only made to look like one of the better teams back then because they were in the European Cup every year because they kept winning their backwater league and got to the latter stages of the European Cup because they were coming up against even worse teams. Would they have been a very good team back then if the European Cup featured the top few Spanish, English, German (not East Germany who regularly sent canon fodder to the European Cup, i.e. Dynamo Dresden) French, Italian and Dutch teams? Of course not.

It was technically the number one competition but everyone knew the UEFA Cup was the tougher competition. The UEFA Cup was the people's cup. Imagine the Champions League and Europa Cup having the same format in 2014. I know which competition I'd want to watch.

L1NETT

You know what Wilbz, without Freeman I reckon Fargo might actually be decent

Ep 6 was decent mind

Also finished watching Rectify

Decent little show, do recommend it. Second series starts next month. Peaky Blinders and Utopia to look forward to soon.

/trying to distract from this utter shite last couple of pages.

Wilbur

Banned
You know what Wilbz, without Freeman I reckon Fargo might actually be decent

Ep 6 was decent mind

Also finished watching Rectify

Decent little show, do recommend it. Second series starts next month. Peaky Blinders and Utopia to look forward to soon.

/trying to distract from this utter shite last couple of pages.

Freeman's good in it mangggggg. Accent's a little off, but he does a lot saying a little.

Cappa

Banned
The World Cup? Really?

Nothing beats it...

It's a matter of opinion to make a generalized statement that every player's dream is to lift the world cup well it could be but you're comparing apples to oranges. Gareth Bale can dream all he wants but he will never lift a World cup in his life so he's going to tell you the Champions League just like many great star players playing on bad national teams...

There are plenty of players who don't really care to play much on a national team, Zlatan Ibrahimovic is one. There was a period he didn't want to be bothered being called up, recently his attitude has changed.

Comparing a national team title to a domestic one doesn't make sense. Also, Champions League(domestic clubs) competitive level >>>> World cup(national teams)competitive level and it doesn't come close.

FuturusX

Nope

"This is more. It's so important, it's more than the World Cup," Casillas told Sport.

"It's been so long, the 10th, it's a round number, a perfect number. I want to congratulate those who have come here and thank the fans who have not said anything bad."

He's a liar. Simple as that. He'd trade all his league and CL medals and his Grandmother in exchange for a single World Cup. He's running PR for Real to sell shirts and cover his terrible - transfer list him immediately - performance.

Nothing beats the World Cup. Even with Blatter at the helm and smashing the ship into the rocks. It's glorious.

pulga

Banned
He's a liar. Simple as that. He'd trade all his league and CL medals and his Grandmother in exchange for a single World Cup. He's running PR for Real to sell shirts and cover his terrible - transfer list him immediately - performance.

Nothing beats the World Cup. Even with Blatter at the helm and smashing the ship into the rocks. It's glorious.

looooooooooool

but he already has a World Cup!

Cappa

Banned

For whom? For yourself? Or every professional player in the world? See my post. You cannot make a generalized statement like that based solely on your own opinion.

Salvadora

Not sure how I feel about Fargo, to be honest.

Like, it's really really well made. Lots of interesting characters and scenes, and it's beautifully shot with a great soundtrack. But I can't help but feel like it's missing something that would tie it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom