• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoArmo

This was said of him two years ago. How much longer do we need to give him?

He's still only 23 and never had a decent run of games.

No one really has an issue with him being United's 3rd or 4th striker. It's his ultimatum of getting first team football or he's off that people don't like. Who are these players who've stuck around big clubs for a long time with poor goalscoring records and less natural ability, out of interest?

A lot of clubs have them, your Dirk Kuyts, Eiður Guðjohnsens of the world are a lot less technically gifted.

Then you have your Dennis Bergkamps, who's goal scoring record was rubbish, but was an absolute genius on the ball, and a major part of Arsenal's success.

Welbeck's not anywhere close to that level of control of the ball, but goals aren't the be all and end all is my point. There'll come, and until then he offers a lot.

Nicktendo86

Everytime I hear Miliband talk i want to shoot myself, he might be the least charismatic, most dull and boring politician I have ever seen.

Also Wellbeck still wants out and thinks he is a good player, he seems utterly oblivious to how many chances he fucks up, how terrible he is infront of goal and how utterly expendable he is in the long term.
He always gets a bit of spit on his lip when he talks as well. Actually make me feel ill watching him.

He improved exponentially last season. This next one is what will make or break him as a star.

I watched him all last season and did not see this.

LegoArmo said:

Because he's not played well enough to earn them when he has been given opportunities.

LegoArmo said:
Eiður Guðjohnsens of the world are a lot less technically gifted.

Fuck me you're killing me here.

pulga

Banned
BokcRprCcAAaBM4.jpg:large

dat brand value

very, very hard to believe this my blabby

pls understand, no one outside bavaria supports bayern

oh except that daft cunt in argentina

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino is in advanced talks with Tottenham to become the north London club's next manager, Press Association Sport understands.

Could be done by tomorrow. Having an Argentinian manager might help Lamela to shine next season.

Derp1na

Banned

A lot of clubs have them, your Dirk Kuyts, Eiður Guðjohnsens of the world are a lot less technically gifted.

Then you have your Dennis Bergkamp's who's goal scoring record was rubbish, but was an absolute genius on the ball, and a major part of Arsenal's success.

Welbeck's not anywhere close to that level of control of the ball, but goals aren't the be all and end all is my point. There'll come, and until then he offers a lot.

Everyone was saying that Liverpool and Chelsea would need to get rid of Kuyt and Gudjohnsen if they wanted to push onto the next level. Both were starters for their club, Welbeck isn't. I don't think Chelsea fans would have been adverse to keeping Gudjohnsen if he wanted to become a bench player, but if he was saying it was Shevchenko (before he was found to be shit in England) or him, then the decision is obvious.

Welbeck is asking United to either drop Van Persie or Rooney or to sell him. What do you expect Van Gaal to do?

LegoArmo

Well if he's not why should he be playing in the first team regularly in accordance with his demands?

He said in the interview he's okay with playing on the left if there's 3 in midfield, so he has less defensive duties and can show his attacking ability more often. He's not saying "play me at striker or I'm off", he's asking for a different role.

I watched him all last season and did not see this.

Oh ffs.

Remember that I'm using him as my avatar because I lost a bet in the pre-season in if he would score any goals in a friendly. I hated the shit out of him.

If you guys think he sucks, it's fine, do so.

EDIT: Also, everyone (who's defending him in this thread) thinks that Rooney and RVP is a better striker than him for now. We understand his reasons for leaving and we just wish there's a better way to keep him. No one is under the impression that he's even the 2nd best striker we have.

Scum

Everyone was saying that Liverpool and Chelsea would need to get rid of Kuyt and Gudjohnsen if they wanted to push onto the next level. Both were starters for their club, Welbeck isn't. I don't think Chelsea fans would have been adverse to keeping Gudjohnsen if he wanted to become a bench player, but if he was saying it was Shevchenko (before he was found to be shit in England) or him, then the decision is obvious.

Welbeck is asking United to either drop Van Persie or Rooney or to sell him. What do you expect Van Gaal to do?
I expect Van Gaal to drop his trousers and teabag Rooney.

pulga

Banned
I want to see more of next season. #Believe

They're going towards Bale's wages when he comes back in the summer.

we already got what we wanted outta him anyway lol

its fucking incredible he did it on the first season. for once, no "100m spent for nothing" media battering

He said in the interview he's okay with playing on the left if there's 3 in midfield, so he has less defensive duties and can show his attacking ability more often. He's not saying "play me at striker or I'm off", he's asking for a different role.

The problem there is he's never been convincing on the wing in a front three. I would argue he's even less productive there than he is as a striker (and I'm quite sure if I could be bothered to dig out the stats this would come to bear).

He can't cross for shit, he's not creative and he can't beat a man when confined to a tight space (i.e. he's not a very good technical dribbler). So I don't see how he could expect more playing time on the wing either.

Derp1na

Banned

He's not good enough to play on the left. Although my eyes are the reason for me believing that, I'll back it up with some stats:

13/14: 1 assist (league)
12/13: 3 assists
11/12: 4 assists

He wants to be shoehorned in.

Even if Welbeck could improve a lot, how's that going to happen when he's getting less games because Van Gaal has no use for someone with such poor technique out wide?

LegoArmo

The problem there is he's never been convincing on the wing in a front three. I would argue he's even less productive there than he is as a striker (and I'm quite sure if I could be bothered to dig out the stats this would come to bear).

He can't cross for shit, he's not creative and he can't beat a man when confined to a tight space (i.e. he's not a very good technical dribbler). So I don't see how he could expect more playing time on the wing either.

I don't think the managers have tasked him with that in those positions. He's been asked to cover for Evra's complete lack of positional sense and to pressure the opponents defenders, and he's done it well. Decent scoring record last season considering his amount of minutes and different playing positions.

He's a left forward, not a left winger.

Derp1na

Banned
I don't think the managers have tasked him with that in those positions. He's been asked to cover for Evra's complete lack of positioning sense and to pressure the opponents defenders, and he's done it well. Decent scoring record last season considering his amount of minutes and different playing positions.

He's a left forward, not a left winger.

Then he's going to be a left the club.

Derp1na

Banned
Only if he really pushes for a move, I imagine. Otherwise I can see him at United into his 30s.

He is going to push for a move because van Gaal knows what he likes when it comes to tactics (unlike Fergie, or Moyes who thought he was Fergie), and it's not about shoehorning players in, particularly not when that player is giving him an ultimatum to be shoehorned in.

United have Januzaj, Mata, Rooney, RVP, Kagawa, and probably want to sign a winger to replace Young/Valencia/Nani. Who gets dropped for Welbeck?

pulga

Banned
Diego Costa ruled out for 15 more days, his place in the WC squad in serious jeopardy.

Serves him right for being a daft cunt. Horse placenta lol

That witch doctor must be laughing her tits off all the way to the bank

Jarnet87

Diego Costa ruled out for 15 more days, his place in the WC squad in serious jeopardy.

Serves him right for being a daft cunt. Horse placenta lol

That witch doctor must be laughing her tits off all the way to the bank

Sounds about right. Admire his effort in trying to play but rushing back for all those games and getting subbed early could only have set back the injury. Guess we are in for some more false 9 Spain.

pulga

Banned
Sounds about right. Admire his effort in trying to play but rushing back for all those games and getting subbed early could only have set back the injury.

Set back his injury and severely impacted his teams chances during the final. But that one's on Simeone, really. Should've had the foresight to know every single pair of fresh legs would count.

LegoArmo

He is going to push for a move because van Gaal knows what he likes when it comes to tactics (unlike Fergie, or Moyes who thought he was Fergie), and it's not about shoehorning players in, particularly not when that player is giving him an ultimatum to be shoehorned in.

United have Januzaj, Mata, Rooney, RVP, Kagawa, and probably want to sign a winger to replace Young/Valencia/Nani. Who gets dropped for Welbeck?

It's not about the players for van Gaal, it's about the system, he'll give Welbeck instructions, and he'll follow them to a tee, he's good at that.

If he's not happy and leaves, that's fine, I just think it'll be a shame. I Imagine Rooney and Welbeck will rotate on the left/with van Persie up top. Mata and Kagawa rotate for the attacking midfield position, and Adnan and Valencia for the right. I doubt United will sign a winger.

Scum

Nike's best commercials were from the mid 90s to the mid 00s.

You had Cantona v the devil, The Cage, the Ronaldinho elastico advert, the Brazil airport advert, etc. There was even the Joga Bonito adverts, but I still remember thinking they weren't quite as good as the 90s and early 00s ones.
Everything was good in the 90s and early 00s.

Derp1na

Banned
It's not about the players for van Gaal, it's about the system, he'll give Welbeck instructions, and he'll follow them to a tee, he's good at that.

If he's not happy and leaves, that's fine, I just think it'll be a shame. I Imagine Rooney and Welbeck will rotate on the left/with van Persie up top. Mata and Kagawa rotate for the attacking midfield position, and Adnan and Valencia for the right. I doubt United will sign a winger.

Welbeck doesn't sound like he likes instructions. He sounds like he likes giving the instructions (coincidentally ones that limit his defensive duties, the sole reason he gets picked in the big games).

Everything was good in the 90s and early 00s.

Agreed.

pulga

Banned
Look who decided to crash the party

1401111503_extras_noticia_foton_7_1.jpg

Fucking Calderon era transfers, never again NEVER AGAIN. Say what you will about Florentino, man knows how to rock the market.

Messi

How is Marquinhos? We went for him at the same time as PSG and didn't get him but it seems like they might sell him to us after getting Luiz.

How is Marquinhos? We went for him at the same time as PSG and didn't get him but it seems like they might sell him to us after getting Luiz.

Christ, they're stupid

Buy one of the best young centrebacks in the world, play Alex instead of him, replace Alex with a new player who's been bought for more than twice his worth and get rid of the good young centreback.

edit: Yeah, probably won;t happen though. He should be looking to leave anyway, a player his age should be playing

@Odd_Morsel, does buying a ticket entitle you to watch every The International match within Dota's spectate mode?

I'd probably rather just watch a stream anyway, don't know enough about the game to piss about looking at stuff that might not matter and miss out on the action

LTWheels

Listen to today's ESPN podcast, they went to watch Atletico's pre-CL training. They said that from that training session it was completely obvious that Costa was not fit to play. However, Turan looked and played fine. They were surprised that he didn't play.

Derp1na

Banned
of course Roy Keane is the first one to drop character

OF COURSE

he would be awful in Toy Story

and no one cares about your ads with Madrid ok

how did they get Saddam to play the bartender? Fucking Perez

I'm just a lowly Leyton Orient fan. We don't have any adverts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom