• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Roy

"We dealt with the Uruguay attack well"

"We Came up against a solid defence"

2 goals for Suarez off of 2 shots

A team that conceded 3 to Costa Rica

I know who's to blame for England's demise. It's not the manager or the players on the pitch. It's my fellow 'so-called' fans on here. You see, International Football is a lot like Homeopathy. It only works if you believe it works. Even then it's only a delusion that it actually worked when in fact the symptoms would have naturally subsided anyway and that watered-down water you took really only instigated the placebo effect. Maybe taking a pill you believe will work calms your blood pressure and relieves stress, both of which have a positive effect on the body and will help in the healing process. The point is, I'm crap with analogies.

Yen

Roy is going to start playing Shaw and Barkley, Lampard and Gerrard will retire, England will beat Moldova 6-0 in the Euro qualifiers, they'll beat France's second string in a friendly. "This is it, we have a good young team, we could go far."
England score 3 goals at the 2016 Euros, go out at the quarter finals.

AVB (the new England coach) starts playing Caulker and Clyne, Cahill and Johnson retire, England beat etc etc

Walshy

For a young Englishman at a world cup? Hell yes.

You just saw two plums misplace every single fucking pass, as we do at every world cup from midfield and you see a guy who keeps it and write him off. Yeah, that's England sum'd up that. Get behind guys who clearly can't hack it at international level and jump on the back of someone who kept it and pushed us ten yards higher up the pitch.
I'm dying of laughter of you banging on about England constantly losing the ball. They recorded a 91% pass completion rate last game, highest in the competition when it was played. It was also a record for England in the competition.

Tonight, Uruguay gave the ball away more than us, with 164 out 257 being successful. Giving them a pass completion rate of 63%. England completed 357 out of 436 passes, which gave them a pass completion rate of 81%.

Keeping the ball isn't really a problem with this England team, there are much larger and glaring deficiencies within this side.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
And then he took off our wide players.

Johnson did well for the first goal, but he has been gash for most of both games, and for some reason he is the player everyone passes to on the Wing, a man who has less pass and cross accuracy than Ashley Young.

dc89

BqhaZf7IQAA-boQ.jpg:large

Mastadon

Banned
I'm dying of laughter of you banging on about England constantly losing the ball. They recorded a 91% pass completion rate last game, highest in the competition when it was played. It was also a record for England in the competition.

Tonight, Uruguay gave the ball away more than us, with 164 out 257 being successful. Giving them a pass completion rate of 63%. England completed 357 out of 436 passes, which gave them a pass completion rate of 81%.

Keeping the ball isn't really a problem with this England team, there are much larger and glaring deficiencies within this side.

Henderson also has a pass completion rate close to 90% over the two games. Marc, pls stop.

Wilbur

Banned
Who is everyone supporting now?

As before, I'm supporting Messi.

Yep.

I'd love teams like Mexico, Chile, Croatia to make a real fist of it, but out of the big guns it comes down to Italy Holland and Argentina.

Italy have too many and Yurt has gone full Blablurn
we need LVG back stat

Messi needs to shut all the haters up. Come on Argentina.

Slizz

Yep.

I'd love teams like Mexico, Chile, Croatia to make a real fist of it, but out of the big guns it comes down to Italy Holland and Argentina.

Italy have too many and Yurt has gone full Blablurn
we need LVG back stat

Messi needs to shut all the haters up. Come on Argentina.

Mexico over USA? Fuck off.

Marc

This is like someone arguing they played well because their defence passed it to each other a bunch of times. Or when people watch Arsenal games and the opposition allow them to pass it around in completely benign areas. Uruguay played us like a fiddle in that regard.

Did you watch the game? Our midfield did absolutely nothing except get out of position and losing stupid balls.

An example of what I mean is something I posted at the time. We get an offside decision, Hart passes it into midfield. We don't even bother turning and looking up. We pass it back to a CB, then back to Hart who hoofs it. Wow, we kept the ball. Good job. Stats padded out with 3 successful passes, that's what matters. Maybe its a wording issue, maybe I have to clarify what I am saying. Keeping the ball in midfield area's, advancing through midfield, playing the smart option and trying to open the opposition defence. Our midfield did that? Well maybe I saw something different.

LTWheels

I've been want to say something like this for a while.

Mr Cola

Truly when we look for a new manager its a coin flip between Big Same and Harry.

Fuck it let them both do it

3Sixty

Everyone was shit.

But singled out for special false praise.

Gerrard & Hendo Double Pivot. Tactically a joke to begin with, both also dogshit.

Baines, doesn't attack, can't defend, the Gareth Barry of left backs.

Joe Hart. Nearly beaten by direct corners, twice. What are you doing.

Suen

just went through some of the comments after Suarez second goal. All those offside comments hahaha, causal viewers are amazing to have for all the wrong reasons in situations like these.

Time for Roy to step aside.

The formation is not suited to these players. 4-2-3-1 with 3 strikers because he can't choose which one to play. Cole not going was a stupid move, Johnson got a great assist, but does that make up for how much of a liability he is the rest of the time?

Gerrard looked out of place alongside Henderson because the formation doesn't suit the team. Should have gone 4-3-3, then he could have played Barkley in the middle and then picked two wingers to suit the striker up front.

Also, why did we take Ox again? Injured for the first two matches (not his fault), should have left him at home for someone that was fit.. The golden generation has died a very horrible death

sohois

at least the long national nightmare of hodgson is finally over, though knowing the fa they'll just reward him with a new contract.

really any decent manager would have cruised through this group, both Italy and Uruguay were utterly average. hodgson has been the root cause of all the problems, his stupid squad and team selections, his inept preparation, his complete lack od tactical acumen and inability to change a game.

back to the match, Henderson was probably Englands best player in the end, not that that's saying much. i think baines did decent, and Johnson got the assist and was fine in defence. otherwise, awful. Hart unconvincing, cahill and jag complete shite, gerrard just lost, Rooney and sturridge largely wasteful, Sterling ineffectual on the right and welbeck was dire.

subs looked ok but unsurprisingly the wrong times and players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom