• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Xavi to leave Barcelona confirmed by RAC1 (radio catalunya, very reliable), RIP Tiki-taka 2008-2014.

Really curious how we'll play next season, without Xavi it's impossible to play the same way.

bjaelke

you suck sikaffy

---

Get French Football @GFN_France
Le Parisien: Marseille President Vincent Labrune has entered into talks with Serge Aurier's representatives, they claim. #OM #ToulouseFC

Get French Football @GFN_France
Le Parisien: Toulouse want €8m for Serge Aurier, but the player wants to move to the Premier League, they claim. #ToulouseFC #OM #AFC

Continues to baffle and amaze me that Welbeck continues to be allowed to play on the wing.

He creates no chances and scores no goals BUT he does track back a lot.

At what point does someone stand up and point out that he's basically James Milner?

Blablurn

And possibly Ochoa.

2,w%3D650,c%3D0.bild.jpg

jtb

Banned
And he hates Seinfeld, Arrested Development, The Witcher, Deus Ex and Dark Souls. This boy is beyond saving.

No worries, Italy will do...whatever The Sun said we're going to do. You're alive England

m1.gif

Pls I can't take another transfer window fighting with Gooners on twitter ;( TAKE HIM! TAKE WHATEVER YOU WANTS GOONERS

are Juve in for Sanchez?

Linius

Man this world can be cruel. Two cases of meaningless violence over here in a couple of days time. Both involving a 15-year old as the suspect. In the first case a 15-year old girl and in the other a boy. And both cases were filmed by friends from the perps. It's fucking sickening. To think of the fact that we're just talking about kids here.

Here's the video of the girl who's going all American History X on another girl. It's quite shocking. And this is the boy. Kicking a girl from behind, just for fun.

/society rant

confuziz

Banned
Man this world can be cruel. Two cases of meaningless violence over here in a couple of days time. Both involving a 15-year old as the suspect. In the first case a 15-year old girl and in the other a boy. And both cases were filmed by friends from the perps. It's fucking sickening. To think of the fact that we're just talking about kids here.

Here's the video of the girl who's going all American History X on another girl. It's quite shocking. And this is the boy. Kicking a girl from behind, just for fun.

/society rant

First one was in my city. Not one of my students though :lol

Kids these days have too deal with too much pressure in my opinion. That might be an explanation for these kind of outbursts.

Linius

First one was in my city. Not one of my students though :lol

I really hope the girl gets a fitting sentence. At least they charge her for manslaughter. But I imagine she'll be judged as a minor since she's stil 15 and in a few years she's free to do what ever.

EDIT

Pressure? I understand a fair fight, I've had a few myself in my primary school years. But if someone's down on the ground and you just start kicking her head in that's beyond anything human imo. She even thinks about her actions by changing her technique near the end. She's seems very conscious of what she's doing, it's scary.

Jack cw

I couldn't watch the England game live, but when I saw the end result I couldn't stop laughing. I mean I seriously read some posts about becoming champions and all.

GorillaJu

Damn that gif Yurt

You guys who aren't playing Dota are missing out man. I just played one game and my teammate was ruining my setup, constantly encroaching on my space and then blaming me when things didn't go well when it was his fault for leeching my experience and currency. Eventually we won, but I was fighting with him the whole game.

Next game we got put up against each other on opposite sides and I ran fucking train over them. Of course I talked shit to him like a roid-raging 12 year old, but damn if it wasn't fun. Dat revenge.

--

Gerrard isn't crap or "overrated" (basically intended to mean he's crap) obviously he's extremely talented, but he's not the kind of midfielder that you need for England's system. He works well with Liverpool because he sits really deep and has tons of space in front of him to ping balls forward. He has the support of two pressing midfielders directly ahead of him as well, with two Hendo/Allen/Coutinho/Sterling, who harry defenders and win the ball back high up before it gets back to Stevie.

Look at how Italy have it set up for Pirlo. Pirlo covers lots of space but he doesn't constantly have to race around putting in last ditch tackles and man marking. No, Gerrard is not Pirlo and I'll concede that Pirlo is the better player for that role, but it seems silly to me to say "looks like Gerrard was shit after all" when he had just come off an incredible season, having been used completely differently.

Gerrard has the skills you'd look for in a CM but he doesn't have that level of tactical discipline or the ability to keep the ball as well as you'd require. He's better behind the midfield or in front of it.

The same goes for Rooney. He's not nearly as bad as people harp on about, he's actually very good there is just too much being expected of a player who is more limited tactically than he is technically.

jtb

Banned
totally agree on Gerrard/Rooney. Gerrard's just undisciplined and inconsistent (which probably are related). that goes double for Rooney. these days international and continental football is all about packing midfield with the same old 4-2-3-1 formations. you can't afford to play to win in a knockout tournament w/ zero margin for error—the first priority is always not losing. not fucking up the little things (tracking back, not being sloppy in possession, etc.) takes precedence over producing individual moments of brilliance. Gerrard's always been a pretty undisciplined player, though, which is why he was a good fit for that 10 role behind the striker and was a terrible partner for Lampard.

Rooney's a bit more confusing. He was excellent (and often sacrificed on the wing) in those Ronaldo years at Utd, but he's probably gotten too much freedom since being handed the reins after Ronaldo's sale.

Lightning

Banned
agree. I'd be really happy with Sanchez too.
Gervinho doesn't fit into Arsenal's system at all. Even if we bought him back it would be the same disaster. Walcott is a much better finisher than Gervinho and Walcott cops tonnes of shit, Gervinho would flop again because,he can't finish and we require our wingers to score.

Who cares what Wilbur says, Arsenal are not the reason Gervinho flopped. Gervinho lost his confidence and never reclaimed it and he only had himself to blame for that, he was bang below average even on the wing.

Griezmann, Sanchez or someone of the ilk is the way to go forward. Not Joel Campbell or Vela or bloody Gervinho. Joel Campbell does have a role to play though but through rotation.

Rooney's problem is he tries to be a complete player. He was best when he was a tank, rampaging through defenders and slamming a goal but nowadays it seems like he is trying his hand of being a jack of all trades.

Fact is Rooney is now in a sense diluted. He does shows sparks of brilliance at times, but is now more like a fucking fat fuck who can't make up his mind to either be the playmaker, or a predator in front.

jtb

Banned
I wouldn't call Gervinho's time at Arsenal a disaster. He was fine. Even if he underperformed relative to expectations and his potential, he was still a productive player that matched the cheap fee we paid for him. only truly disastrous thing he did at Arsenal was slapping Joey Barton and I can't even be mad about that lol. when I think disaster, I think Andre Santos and the like.

Jack cw

Barca gonna keep on spending $$ while not buying any defenders. Based Zubi
p0QHO.gif

To be fair, there is actually no decent defender on the market for a reasonable price. After Luiz overinflated price, even Carlton Costly would be around 25 million.

Salazar

“Before the game too many people in England laughed about my attitude over the last few years. This is a very good time for me. I want to see what they think now.”

Still think you're a gigantic twat, Luis. No change.

Never doubted your goalscoring.

Us people in England laughing at his racist attitude and biting players attitude. What will we think now?
It's jokes.

I understand he would enjoy it but he racially abused someone and still hasn't apologised. Of course we think he's a knob.

He did of course achieve redemption this season, though.

pulga

Banned
ARE YOU GUYS STILL GOING ON ABOUT 'NEGRITO'

jeeysus, its the puto of this thread. doesnt mean what you think it means
e5YuU.gif

confuziz

Banned
I really hope the girl gets a fitting sentence. At least they charge her for manslaughter. But I imagine she'll be judged as a minor since she's stil 15 and in a few years she's free to do what ever.

EDIT

Pressure? I understand a fair fight, I've had a few myself in my primary school years. But if someone's down on the ground and you just start kicking her head in that's beyond anything human imo. She even thinks about her actions by changing her technique near the end. She's seems very conscious of what she's doing, it's scary.

True, there are a lot of sick people in this world, even some young ones.

dem AOC farmer schools though...

Strange to see the CBs escape all blame for the winner on here when one of the most basic tenets of defending is to anticipate and prepare for a misdirected header in the middle by keeping an eye on the striker.

Gerrard retiring would be best for all parties.

confuziz

Banned
Strange to see the CBs escape all blame for the winner on here when one of the most basic tenets of defending is to anticipate and prepare for a misdirected header in the middle by keeping an eye on the striker.

Gerrard retiring would be best for all parties.

Dutch TV (Voetbal International TV) was laughing at your CBs yesterday. Literally laughing.

Some people really just cannot stomach damning one of their own can they :lol

If that's directed at me, it was a terrible header rounding off a bad performance, a bad world cup, and the worst 2 months of his career, but I expect professional centrebacks to at least look like they're paying attention.

Maddox

Some people really just cannot stomach damning one of their own can they :lol

England have bigger problems than Gerrard, he is not the reason England will be thrown out of the world cup in embarrassment. There's a whole team of players who haven't played particularly well in role's that they are clearly uncomfortable with.

Linius

I was impressed by Englands play against Italy. And yesterday they had a good phase in the second half as well ultimately rewarding them the goal. Let's not forget that Italy and Uruguay (+Suarez) are great teams and tough to beat. It's not such a big shame.

If that's directed at me, it was a terrible header rounding off a bad performance, a bad world cup, and the worst 2 months of his career, but I expect professional centrebacks to at least look like they're paying attention.
Not you.

Our defence + keeper are all weak to down right awful apart from Cahill.

England have bigger problems than Gerrard, he is not the reason England will be thrown out of the world cup in embarrassment. There's a whole team of players who haven't played particularly well in role's that they are clearly uncomfortable with.

Just the same as they have bigger problems than Hodgson.

Nobody is seriously saying it's all Gerrard's fault - but he was the worst player yesterday and he made the crucial error (and also an error on the first goal). In those circumstances, unsurprisingly, you cop some blame.

The response to Rooney for instance after the Italy game, here, elsewhere, everywhere - was far greater. Gerrard was some levels worse than that last night.

He's done with England now anyway, like all the others, good riddance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom