• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Looking back the second goal, even the Dutch commentator screamed pretty loud when he scored. It's almost as if Robben scored a late winner for us :lol

ARE YOU GUYS STILL GOING ON ABOUT 'NEGRITO'

jeeysus, its the puto of this thread. doesnt mean what you think it means
e5YuU.gif
That's what I've been trying to tell then

I think its time we dropped everyone from the 'Golden Generation' Rooney included. The most annoying thing is people are gonna praise Rooney like a messiah now that he scored, i'm sorry but if he missed that he would be the worlds worst forward.

Wilbur

Banned
One of the reasons I'm looking forward to LVG so much - and one of the reasons why Fergie was so fucking good - is that everything was in service of the team. Moyes and Hodgson had favourites and made it abundantly clear.

As good as Gerrard and Rooney are as individuals, they are the two players that stand out as being particularly ill suited to the formation and system that Hodgson likes to play. If we are going to insist on playing two in the middle, Gerrard should not be one of them. If we are going to insist on playing a number ten, Rooney should not be it. They don't fit whatever semblance of a gameplan we have at the start of matches, because like jtb said, they're both too tactically undisciplined.

As a 4-3-3, with Rooney up top, Sterling and Sturridge either side and someone like Wilshere to do Gerrard's running for him, it would work better.

And there's a tendency to bring football down to things like formations and statistics and shit like that, but when Chile and Mexico are notable for playing three man defences and doing it brilliantly, or someone like LVG places so much emphasis on what formation he's going to play, you can only assume that it does have an impact.

bjaelke

Almost every foreign paper has Johnson as the best English defender last night. Must have been due to his assist. Great goal. Shame it's being neglected in the post-match discussion.

Gambit

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to LVG so much - and one of the reasons why Fergie was so fucking good - is that everything was in service of the team. Moyes and Hodgson had favourites and made it abundantly clear.

I think you can and should look forward to LvG, but he certainly has favourites as well. Players he dislikes might as well leave right away. Apparently the only one he changed his opinion on was Gomez (according to LvG himself), but it was at the end of his tenure.

Still, he will be exactly what United need, I'd say. He has no scruples and will tear down everything in his way to rebuild it as something fitting his ideas.

Wilbur

Banned
I think you can and should look forward to LvG, but he certainly has favourites as well. Players he dislikes might as well leave right away. Apparently the only one he changed his opinion on was Gomez (according to LvG himself), but it was at the end of his tenure.

Still, he will be exactly what United need, I'd say. He has no scruples and will tear down everything in his way to rebuild it as something fitting his ideas.

Oh, of course he'll have favourites, but I can only imagine it may be because what they bring to the team as opposed to just being big names like Rooney.

Some great threads in the OT right now.

Attractiveness one is pretty jokes. My favourite is "my girlfriend won't let me watch Sparatcus". Some geniuses on GAF - they just dont know it.

Linius

Was just playing a game of FIFA. 1-0 up during half time. All of a sudden the game quits to the main menu and I didn't got the win. Damn you quitters.

pulga

Banned
Some great threads in the OT right now.

Attractiveness one is pretty jokes. My favourite is "my girlfriend won't let me watch Sparatcus". Some geniuses on GAF - they just dont know it.

'What is it like to be physically attractive to other people?'

i c a n t

bjaelke

WBAFCofficial @WBAFCofficial
Albion have pulled off a major coup by beating a host of clubs to sign England international @JoleonLescott

woah

Wilbur

Banned
Dunno what a season on city's bench will have done, and he did look shaky last season when he did play, but Lescott was just as good as Kompany in 11/12 I thought. If you can get him approaching that form again then WBA have got a good deal.

Maddox

As good as Gerrard and Rooney are as individuals, they are the two players that stand out as being particularly ill suited to the formation and system that Hodgson likes to play. If we are going to insist on playing two in the middle, Gerrard should not be one of them. If we are going to insist on playing a number ten, Rooney should not be it. They don't fit whatever semblance of a gameplan we have at the start of matches, because like jtb said, they're both too tactically undisciplined.

As a 4-3-3, with Rooney up top, Sterling and Sturridge either side and someone like Wilshere to do Gerrard's running for him, it would work better.

And there's a tendency to bring football down to things like formations and statistics and shit like that, but when Chile and Mexico are notable for playing three man defences and doing it brilliantly, or someone like LVG places so much emphasis on what formation he's going to play, you can only assume that it does have an impact.

I agree, Henderson normally does the running for him at Liverpool in a 3 but again they were part of 2 not a 3 which left them a little exposed i feel.

King_Moc

Banned
Suarez isn't a racist, that much is obvious.

Try telling that to a football fan in England.

Someone I know posted the following on Facebook earlier.

From knee surgery to world beater in 4 weeks and it's because apparently he's "world class".

In the words of everyone's favourite cheat: "not normal".

Once a cheat always a cheat.

People can't accept how good he is and have to make bullshit up to pass off their own teams frailties. He was clearly still injured in the match and as farces I'm aware there's no illegal miracle cure for healing from surgery. Haters gonna hate. I hope he stays at Liverpool at hits 40 goals next year just to piss these cunts off some more.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Almost every foreign paper has Johnson as the best English defender last night. Must have been due to his assist. Great goal. Shame it's being neglected in the post-match discussion.

It was a great assist (and a brave one given the incoming tackle) but if a guy who can't even block a cross is our best defender on the night then I think that says it all.

Carbonox

This will work in Liverpool's favour. Barcelona will come calling for him as a replacement for Dani Alves because of his "best English defender" performance. His reluctance to actually defend and instead always bomb up top and fail stepovers like some Emile Heskey tribute will raise his profile significantly.

Uus4Plt.png

I know gerrard has been good for Liverpool this season, but I thought he was the worst player on the pitch for the two games and have no clue what he did or what he was suppose to do.

He hit a few nice cross field passes, but for me he is a player all about his drive and energy of getting forward.

LTWheels

@TonyBarretTimes: Baines is a great player. His biggest strength is overlapping. What does he get? A system that restricts his ability to get forward.

@TonyBarretTimes: Rooney is a great player. His biggest strength is getting into the box. What did he get initially? A system that wasted him out wide.

@TonyBarretTimes: Henderson and Gerrard have been brilliant in a midfield three. What did they get? A midfield two that left them exposed.l

@TonyBarretTimes: Sterling shone as a number ten in the first game. What did he get in game two? Shifted out wide & his impact greater reduced.

@TonyBarretTimes: Barkley's biggest strength is his fearlessness & willingness to run at players. What did he get? Told to take fewer risks.

@TonyBarretTimes: You could go on & on.The players have to take their share of responsibility but the biggest issue is strengths being turned into weaknesses.

Fuck Woy.

@TonyBarretTimes: Baines is a great player. His biggest strength is overlapping. What does he get? A system that restricts his ability to get forward.

@TonyBarretTimes: Rooney is a great player. His biggest strength is getting into the box. What did he get initially? A system that wasted him out wide.

@TonyBarretTimes: Henderson and Gerrard have been brilliant in a midfield three. What did they get? A midfield two that left them exposed.l

@TonyBarretTimes: Sterling shone as a number ten in the first game. What did he get in game two? Shifted out wide & his impact greater reduced.

@TonyBarretTimes: Barkley's biggest strength is his fearlessness & willingness to run at players. What did he get? Told to take fewer risks.

@TonyBarretTimes: You could go on & on.The players have to take their share of responsibility but the biggest issue is strengths being turned into weaknesses.

Fuck Woy.

Should he stay on or should he be replaced?

Wilbur

Banned

I think he's done a decent job incorporating youth into the side and is a bit unlucky to get such a tough group.

But I struggle to see how at his age he'll learn from his mistakes and become more tactically advanced than he is now.

Honestly, as jokes as it is, Alan Pardew is the best English manager around. And that's kinda devastating :lol

Who should replace him though, nearly everyone seems to agree the coach has to be English cause it's the national team, and are happy not to have some dirty catennacio Italian there anymore. So... Ehm.... Redknapp? Fat Sam? Pardew (that is going to be expensive with that Newcastle deal lol)?

LTWheels

IMO go, unless he can show in the next game that he can correct his tactical mistakes. If I see that we line up in the same 4-2-3-1 formation then he has to go. After these two games, if he is unable to see his mistakes...

I sort of wish me 'foreign part of me' was the English part, rather than the Italian. Would make international football much more enjoyable.

Wilbur

Banned
Who should replace him though, nearly everyone seems to agree the coach has to be English cause it's the national team, and are happy not to have some dirty catennacio Italian there anymore. So... Ehm.... Redknapp? Fat Sam? Pardew (that is going to be expensive with that Newcastle deal lol)?

I do think that national sides should have a national manager or coach, just because your entire playing personnel is from that country (Diego Costa pls) so really it's weird if you have a foreigner as manager. But that's just the romantic in me baby. We'd probably be better if we didn have someone English because a) they're all shit and b) emotion may get in the way more

Scum

I think he's done a decent job incorporating youth into the side and is a bit unlucky to get such a tough group.

But I struggle to see how at his age he'll learn from his mistakes and become more tactically advanced than he is now.

Honestly, as jokes as it is, Alan Pardew is the best English manager around. And that's kinda devastating :lol
image.php

image.php

IMO go, unless he can show in the next game that he can correct his tactical mistakes. If I see that we line up in the same 4-2-3-1 formation then he has to go. After these two games, if he is unable to see his mistakes...

I sort of wish me 'foreign part of me' was the English part, rather than the Italian. Would make international football much more enjoyable.

What about Paul Clement??? would be a risk but he has worked with Hiddink and Ancelotti.

The media would criticise the FA if they went for a foreign manager again...but who gives a flying fuck what they think. We also have no really tactically brilliant English managers too.

Brendan pls switch your allegiance to England.

he wouldn't do it anyway

Think he should take a club job a la Clarke at WBA first. England job is a massive pressure cooker.

Then could do a Low/Klinsmann
and Tito/Pep
type of deal. Get an ex-player to be the public face of the team

LTWheels

I do think that we should really play as the UK, as that is our nation state. It's silly that we are limiting ourself for historic reasons. It's only in sports that we invented that we don't play as the UK.

We are limiting ourselves by not playing as our nation state. Wouldn't it be nice if our whole country supported one team like we do in the Olympics.

Scum

The media would criticise the FA if they went for a foreign manager again...but who gives a flying fuck what they think. We also have no really tactically brilliant English managers too.

Brendan pls switch your allegiance to England.

he wouldn't do it anyway

It says a lot when we all struggle to pick a half decent manager for the national team. loool
Do we even have a Klopp/Simeone/Conte style manager plying his trade in other leagues? We could do with them. Someone who's tactically astute.

image.php

Scum

I do think that we should really play as the UK, as that is our nation state. It's silly that we are limiting ourself for historic reasons. It's only in sports that we invented that we don't play as the UK.

We are limiting ourselves by not playing as our nation state. Wouldn't it be nice if our whole country supported one team like we do in the Olympics.

LT, pls. This is a bad idea. England will just get in the way of Wales, Ireland and Scotland. D:

LTWheels

LT, pls. This is a bad idea. England will just get in the way of Wales, Ireland and Scotland. D:

The only reason that it hasn't happened is that our FAs don't want to lose their 'power' in FIFA, by being merged into one. Selfish reasons.

Wilbur

Banned

Marshall, Bale and Ramsey is all we would have m8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom