• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
539c3c19e7056-Baas_Martins_Indi.gif

Dat United-Chelsea 2014-2015 preview.

pulga

Banned
While not all teams that win the champions league are big teams, I do feel we are not a truly big team on a level with Liverpool/Man United and the European elite until we do win the Champions League.

Thatsss right my man, least you got it clear.

Of course, it'd be foolish to deny that England is indeed a great football country. Too bad that, when international competitions started, and they started to care about them, they had already started waning. And sorry, the "we weren't there because we were too good so it doesn't count" excuse is bollocks. This match should have made it clear to everyone.
England lost a bunch of embarrassing matches before then. Got thrashed by Scotland 7-2 at one point. Lost to Ireland. Lost to the USA. Their record in the British Home Championship was very far from unquestioned dominance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Home_Championship

Raymond Domenech is certifiably insane:

An amateur astrologer and general eccentric, former France manager Raymond Domenech is no stranger to outlandish and improbable claims.

In an interview with French GQ Magazine, Domenech has made the incredible extrapolation that France beating Ukraine in last November’s World Cup qualifier was the catalyst behind the political crisis now sweeping the country, seemingly on the cusp of war with Russia.

Domenech told GQ:

The Ukrainians thought they had qualified.

If they had eliminated us, they would have something to cling on to by saying: ‘We’re going to the World Cup, let’s talk about something else and take on the Russians on the pitch.’ Involuntarily, we are perhaps partially responsible for the crisis in Ukraine.”

When I see what state we put Ukraine in, it depresses me. If only Ukraine had won. We saw it in 1998 [in France, the World Cup winners that year], when GDP rose by 1%. Confidence meant that people consumed.

Derp1na

Banned
On British press, yea. For everyone else, it's business as usual. And it is, since you haven't gone past the quarter finals in a World Cup in 24 years.

Of course, it'd be foolish to deny that England is indeed a great football country. Too bad that, when international competitions started, and they started to care about them, they had already started waning. And sorry, the "we weren't there because we were too good so it doesn't count" excuse is bollocks. This match should have made it clear to everyone.

Great footballing nation, but one tier below Brazi, Italy, Germany and Argentina, when it comes to international football. If we're talking club competitions though, they're obviously up there with Spain and Italy.

Too bad it wasn't a world cup final but a friendly lol Also Italy played with 10 men for the whole match due to an injury and England had the home advantage. That hardly proves anything. If England wanted to have a shot at winning the World Cup, they should have partaken in it.

The point is that England didn't care. You linked to a match that happened in the 50s. England had been playing football since the 1860s or some crap. I said we were dominant for the first 60 or 70s years of the game and I'm of course correct.

I think a country would be more disappointed that England aren't coming to their World Cup than Argentina (if Messi had been ruled out for being a drug cheat) or Italy. That's because England are a big deal in the history of football.

How is that not serious.

Italy have reached more international finals in the last 8 years than England have in their whole history. Germany and Brazil are also final masters.

Although I am being very generous to Holland and Portugal in putting them off in the respective tiers.

You can't compare Italy's team to the Italy team of 8 years ago. and uhm, I'm not even necessarily disagreeing with Italy being at least a level above England, but your list as a whole is a bit silly.

Also "Big team" discussions are always hilariously shit.

Denmark has one something more recently than most of those countries, we should be up there as a second tier at least!

The point is that England didn't care. You linked to a match that happened in the 50s. England had been playing football since the 1860s or some crap. I said we were dominant for the first 60 or 70s years of the game and I'm of course correct.

I think a country would be more disappointed that England aren't coming to their World Cup than Argentina (if Messi had been ruled out for being a drug cheat) or Italy. That's because England are a big deal in the history of football.
They are, and Italy and Argentina are a even bigger deal.

You can't compare Italy's team to the Italy team of 8 years ago. and uhm, I'm not even necessarily disagreeing with Italy being at least a level above England, but your list as a whole is a bit silly.
The Italy team of 8 years ago were sixth favourites at best on entering the tournament, with their domestic game in disarray. Hindsight is rosy.

England had a 30-50 year head start on most team countries when it came to football. Saying you dominated that period isn't something to be proud of.

Italy missing a world cup is a much bigger news story than England. World Cup 94 went on just fine.

Linius

No need to put the Dutch in a tier. If you look at our individual players we would end up in some low tier. But as a team we can achieve great things. I'm curious to see where this well end. Hopefully not a repeat of 2008.

pappe

This has to be one of the most stupid arguments in the history of Footygaf.

Yes England are a great historical footballing nation. Which mean nothing because they are shit now.

Salvadora

While not all teams that win the champions league are big teams, I do feel we are not a truly big team on a level with Liverpool/Man United and the European elite until we do win the Champions League.
Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that we're a big team.

Just like England.

Also "Big team" discussions are always hilariously shit.

Denmark has one something more recently than most of those countries, we should be up there as a second tier at least!

Denmark was a one off. Holland have only won a single competition, but they have a great record of going deep into competitions.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that we're a big team.

Just like England.

It is hard to compare the two, because there are two standards to test Arsenal, but only one for England. Arsenal are a big English team, but not a big European team. Are European history is average.

arkon

what the fuck is wrong with this country when you can't get something as fucking basic as antibacterial eardrops?

I've got to go to my GP so that useless cunt can tell me what i already know i've got before they'll help me.

"take some paracetamol." Thanks for the 4 hour A and E wait i'm going to have to suffer to get such a fucking basic thing in a FIRST WORLD country.

If we could buy antibiotics over the counter we'd be even more fucked.

Derp1na

Banned
England had a 30-50 year head start on most team countries when it came to football. Saying you dominated that period isn't something to be proud of.

Italy missing a world cup is a much bigger news story than England. World Cup 94 went on just fine.

As opposed to the world stopping when Italy failed to qualify for the 58 World Cup or Euro 92.

Linius

The world stopped when San Louis failed to qualify us for the 2002 worldcup. I mean we played the semis in 98 and 2000. Dem Irish

Salazar

Gary fucking Medel marking Tim Cahill in the box wasn't a good idea.

Outcome a) Cahill wins header - gol
Outcome b) Medel fouls Cahill, gets sent off, pen - gol

There is no outcome c.

Yea, that's like saying that Americans are dominating American football, no shit, they're the only ones playing it.

We can argue how good the English were in the first half of last century for eternity, but there's no way to prove it one way or the other.

The facts are that 1. when football reached worldwide popularity and international competitions started being held, England refused to prove their supposed superiority on the pitch
2. when they did finally agree to play, it turned out they were pretty crap, never going past the quarter finals until 1966, and doing so only once ever since.

As opposed to the world stopping when Italy failed to qualify for the 58 World Cup or Euro 92.
You seriously wanna compare Italy's and England's record in international football? 4 World Cups 2 runner ups, 2 semifinals vs 1 World Cup (played in England and won on a dubious goal) and 1 semifinal?

edit: maybe I missed the point of your post? Of course any team could miss a World Cup, it's not really that big of a deal. The only team that took part in all of them is Brazil if I'm not mistaken.

An Italy team that had still not fully recovered from basically losing its whole team in an plane crash 9 years earlier. edit: Italy could of had another couple world cups if it wasn't for this, and also for WW2

Not qualifying for 92 was shocking.

An Italy team that had still not fully recovered from basically losing its whole team in an plane crash 9 years earlier. edit: Italy could of had another couple world cups if it wasn't for this, and also for WW2
That's one of the biggest regrets I have as an Italian football fan, not knowing how good the Grande Torino team would have been on the international stage:(

Derp1na

Banned
Yea, that's like saying that Americans are dominating American football, no shit, they're the only ones playing it.

We can argue how good the English were in the first half of last century for eternity, but there's no way to prove it one way or the other.

The facts are that 1. when football reached worldwide popularity and international competitions started being held, England refused to prove their supposed superiority on the pitch
2. when they did finally agree to play, it turned out they were pretty crap, never going past the quarter finals until 1966, and doing so only once ever since.

You can prove it by the fact our amateur teams were regularly dominating European and South American teams. West Auckland (an amateur side) beating (1905 Italian champions) Juventus 6-1 in the Sir Thomas Lipton trophy is proof enough for me.

There are clubs on the continent that are older than many of our Premier League clubs.

If the Intercontinental Cup is revived and becomes the biggest cup in football, you can't really blame the likes of Santos, Ajax, Bayern, Liverpool and Leeds for refusing to participate in the 60s and 70s, which allowed the Argentinian and Uruguayan teams to dominate.

That's one of the biggest regrets I have as an Italian football fans, not knowing how good the Grande Torino team would have been on the international stage:(

Some football historians have compared Mazzola to Pele. It would have been tough in Brazil 1950, but we would have been one of the favourites.

Arnie

Can someone explain why we'd be fucked if we could buy antibiotics readily? Obviously it isn't my area of expertise (fried chicken) and I assume it's something to do with our resistance levels.

The England versus Italy debate is stupid. Italy are a far bigger footballing nation internationally, if we're using success in international tournaments as the metric. Not even up for discussion.

Excited for the match tonight. Had my haircut this morning in preparation. It's really fucking short. I look like Michael Owen.

On a similar theme: Giuseppe Bergomi: 'I regret not playing in England – I could have joined Coventry'

"Did you ever come close to playing in England?

Once. And it has been one of the biggest regrets of my career that it didn’t happen. When I was coming to the end of my playing days, Gordon Strachan was the coach of Coventry. He came to me and said 'Ronald Nilsson is leaving, he’s 36 the same as you. If you want to come and join us, we’d love to have you here'. I said no. I wanted to finish my career having played only for Inter Milan. But looking back it’s a big regret. Maybe, if I had accepted, I would now be working as a manager. In England, they always gave you the chance to become the manager of a team in the Premier League or the Championship very quickly. Look at Gianluca Vialli, Gianfranco Zola, Roberto Di Matteo… even Attilio Lombardo was given his chance. But it’s gone. And I’m happy to be at Sky [Giuseppe is the main co-commentator at Sky Sports Italia]."

Bonus: "Which player that Hodgson left at home would you have picked for England?

Maybe John Terry. Perhaps Hodgson lacked the courage to stand out and secure Terry’s call-up. But what really surprised me most is the absence of Tom Cleverley: I imagined that Hodgson would call him up despite the fact he hasn’t played that much this year."

Wilbur

Banned
Can someone explain why we'd be fucked if we could buy antibiotics readily? Obviously it isn't my area of expertise (fried chicken) and I assume it's something to do with our resistance levels.

The England versus Italy debate is stupid. Italy are a far bigger footballing nation internationally, if we're using success in international tournaments as the metric. Not even up for discussion.

Excited for the match tonight. Had my haircut this morning in preparation. It's really fucking short. I look like Michael Owen.

Agreed on Italy, but I think the argument was that we aren't a big footballing nation. But derp gonna derp and shank gonna shank

King_Moc

Banned

The antibiotics kill almost all the germs, but leave behind a small number that were immune. They then multiply and your left with invincible germs.

Suen

No need to put the Dutch in a tier. If you look at our individual players we would end up in some low tier. But as a team we can achieve great things. I'm curious to see where this well end. Hopefully not a repeat of 2008.
I agree. Individually we aren't as good as many teams, heck Spain has better players than us. But in the end what matters is how we play as a team and we excel in that with our Dutch spirit.

Zabojnik

So Buffon is out? The stars are aligning in England's favour. Have been for a while now.

"take some paracetamol." Thanks for the 4 hour A and E wait i'm going to have to suffer to get such a fucking basic thing in a FIRST WORLD country.

Obama's Turkey, innit.

Salazar

Film yourself pissing on a Bentley or something and send him the video demanding money or you'll go to the papers.

He'd pay up.

Am going the other way - long hair looks less grey innit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom