• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

The antibiotics kill almost all the germs, but leave behind a small number that were immune. They then multiply and your left with invincible germs.
I love stuff like this.

Science is magical.
Film yourself pissing on a Bentley or something and send him the video demanding money or you'll go to the papers.

He'd pay up.

Am going the other way - long hair looks less grey innit.
Your hair is thicker than Barzul, I'd be offended if you didn't let it flow and flourish on that folliclely blessed planet of bone you call a head.

describe them

what were the RGB values of the hairs

/bud
Mother of god.

Scum

guys did you know hitcher thinks we should banish artists because he says art is imitative and does not reveal anything on reality and this is corrupting because we would not know about forms and stuff

Hitcher? pls

Arnie

Art's a weird one.

I can appreciate a good painting, or a banksy, or something with immediate aesthetic value that may well have a statement to say about something or other.

But that's only 5% of art. The rest, largely, irritates me.

And music isn't art.

Buffon is confirmed out for the England game.
tumblr_n6qttayHjj1tdefgvo1_250.gif

Derp1na

Banned
Art's a weird one.

I can appreciate a good painting, or a banksy, or something with immediate aesthetic value that may well have a statement to say about something or other.

And music isn't art.

£50m worth of art was donated to the Tate gallery in London the other day.

_75475417_75475412.jpg

Fifty million pounds worth.

pulga

Banned
Art's a weird one.

And music isn't art.

Let's see you try your hand at it then!

Croyles

As much as I will hate to see it, I really think my Germany are gonna be shit this WC.

Löw has been found out too many times and all the injuries aren't helping.

Arnie

Let's see you try your hand at it then!

I can play guitar fairly well, without blowing my own trumpet.

I enjoy music, I think it plays a really important part in society. But I wouldn't call it art.

I might've thought differently if I were alive when music attempted to say something. When it rebelled against the government etc. I've grown up with the Arctic Monkeys and Pitbull.

Arnie

£50m worth of art was donated to the Tate gallery in London the other day.

_75475417_75475412.jpg

Fifty million pounds worth.

Exactly my point.

Not having that.

It's pokemon cards for affluent fucktards.

it's silly to say music isn't art.

anything can be art.
You've convinced me.

I concede I was wrong.

Music is art, then. On that we're agreed. Going back to my earlier point about 95% of art not befitting the definition (see above), music fits perfectly within this category.

I don't think the term 'art' needs to connote a degree of 'high quality', which I think many people seem to conflate it with.

Art can be crap too. An artistic work just needs to have an element of creativity about it. I think the bar for something being art is actually pretty low. And so what if it is?

arkon

Can someone explain why we'd be fucked if we could buy antibiotics readily? Obviously it isn't my area of expertise (fried chicken) and I assume it's something to do with our resistance levels.

Antibiotic resistance, not ours but the bacteria and shit. You basically get a situation where drugs that were designed to target those organisms don't work any more because they've mutated to become resistant to them. Inappropriate prescribing and use has sped this process up.

My anxiety-ridden mind is just assuming that them being more readily available (just walk in to your local pharmacy and buy some!) will mean more inappropriate use. I don't know that this is necessarily borne out by the evidence base.

Arnie

I was rash.

Thinking about it, of course it is.

Referring back to my original point music is the perfect example of why art frustrates me. Because the vast majority of it is relatively talentless pineapples too lazy to earn a proper living scamming a wage with the faintest fart of creativity.

Of course for every person who manages this there are hundreds who try and fail. The people who call themselves writers and painters and musicians but have an income befitting someone not actually in work. Because truthfully they aren't. Yet they still paint and write and sing.

They're everywhere, look in the right place under the right floorboard and you'll find them. No shoes and socks with dirty fingernails and a greasy scalp. Their days are spent watching television and smoking meagre rollups. You wouldn't believe how many I met when flat hunting in Peckham. They love those basement flats with little natural light.

"What do you do?"

"I'm a writer"

"Oh really, that's cool, what sort of stuff have you written"

"I'm between projects at the moment"

oh aye

The world moves on without them.

I apologise if this is overly judgemental I just wanted to write something mad and I'm bored as fuck.

I love stuff like this.

Science is magical.

I did a module on this at university

Fun fact: There are two methods of acquiring drug resistance. One is genetic mutation, and the other is some sort of genetic transfer that is really fucking boring and you should be happy that you'll never be forced to learn about.

edit: the resistance mechanisms themselves were quite interesting though.

Arnie

Antibiotic resistance, not ours but the bacteria and shit. You basically get a situation where drugs that were designed to target those organisms don't work any more because they've mutated to become resistant to them. Inappropriate prescribing and use has sped this process up.

My anxiety-ridden mind is just assuming that them being more readily available (just walk in to your local pharmacy and buy some!) will mean more inappropriate use. I don't know that this is necessarily borne out by the evidence base.
Amazing.

Bacteria sounds great.
I did a module on this at university

Fun fact: There are two methods of acquiring drug resistance. One is genetic mutation, and the other is some sort of genetic transfer that is really fucking boring and you should be happy that you'll never be forced to learn about.
I really do wish I'd focussed on some form of science at school. I got Bs in them all at GCSE then fucked 'em off for a life of English. I don't even want to learn about it for employment purposes - the idea of working in a lab doesn't make my willy tingle - but I'm fascinated by how the world works and functions.

I buy books about physics and shit but don't get around to reading them because there's always something slightly more appealing on the shelf. Like the story of how Pep Guardiola swerved a drugs ban.

Yen

I was rash.

Thinking about it, of course it is.

Referring back to my original point music is the perfect example of why art frustrates me. Because the vast majority of it is relatively talentless pineapples too lazy to earn a proper living scamming a wage with the faintest fart of creativity.

Of course for every person who manages this there are hundreds who try and fail. The people who call themselves writers and painters and musicians but have an income befitting someone not actually in work. Because truthfully they aren't. Yet they still paint and write and sing.

They're everywhere, look in the right place under the right floorboard and you'll find them. No shoes and socks with dirty fingernails and a greasy scalp. Their days are spent watching television and smoking meagre rollups. You wouldn't believe how many I met when flat hunting in Peckham. They love those basement flats with little natural light.

"What do you do?"

"I'm a writer"

"Oh really, that's cool, what sort of stuff have you written"

"I'm between projects at the moment"

oh aye

The world moves on without them.

I apologise if this is overly judgemental I just wanted to write something mad and I'm bored as fuck.

"Old man yells at cloud"

GorillaJu

I don't think the term 'art' needs to connote a degree of 'high quality', which I think many people seem to conflate it with.

Art can be crap too. An artistic work just needs to have an element of creativity about it. I think the bar for something being art is actually pretty low. And so what if it is?

Most people believe that something must be made with a high degree of technical skill or have a useful function to have intrinsic value. To me, the easiest way to explain art's value would be that it defines an understanding of culture that other people aren't easily able to recognize or experience.

People who dismiss important art works because they're just paint splatters or blocks of color aren't wrong, they just haven't been educated on art, which shouldn't come as a big surprise as art education is pretty abysmal in public education.

GorillaJu

I learnt on Friday that a food stylist costs around £250 - £300 for a day's work.

Yeah I sat in with my design class on some photography for Carl's Jr burgers. The food stylist sits there with tweezers to make sure every sesame seed on the bun is perfectly placed, and there's a very short window of time where photos can be taken. If you don't get it just perfect, you have to make the whole thing again. It's very painstaking. Though I think he was making a bit more than what you said, it was more like $200 per hour. Nuts.

Arnie

People who dismiss important art works because they're just paint splatters or blocks of color aren't wrong, they just haven't been educated on art, which shouldn't come as a big surprise as art education is pretty abysmal in public education.
This is also definitely true.

My step dad loves art. He studied it and he loves it.

I 100% readily admit that I have no formal art training to help me understand why something along the lines of an empty tin can or a seemingly incoherent splash of paint has intrinsic value.

Saying that, there's only so much time in the day and space in one's brain so I suppose there's also an argument to say people simply have other things to be getting on with.

Derp1na

Banned
Most people believe that something must be made with a high degree of technical skill or have a useful function to have intrinsic value. To me, the easiest way to explain art's value would be that it defines an understanding of culture that other people aren't easily able to recognize or experience.

Explain it to us.

It's like someone said Rothko's art is amazing because he uses the golden ratio. I know what the golden ratio is too. That's not art, that's science.

One time after a long session I came up with this idea about art that you need a microscope to see. Like art using stained cells or something like that. Or maybe take artsy pictures and enlarge them. It's probably been done but there like was a good hour or so where I was convinced that this was my destiny.

There's art that's simply amazing because of the work and skill that is required to make it.

There's art which simply looks beautiful.

There's art that has an important message or lesson, a point to be made.

And there's art which is nothing but splooges of red paint on a big canvas.

Derp1na

Banned
There's art that's simply amazing because of the work and skill that is required to make it.

:lol

I've said before how I think modern art is just a conspiracy to launder money. The absolute worst is Tracy Emin.

Arnie

And there's the guy in the OT who tried to turn his dick into a submarine.

Where on your scale said piece falls I'm not too sure. Indeed there's probably some considerable overlap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom