• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Agreed on Italy, but I think the argument was that we aren't a big footballing nation. But derp gonna derp and shank gonna shank

It's such a fluid term I couldn't ultimately give a fuck.

We're poo as a nation in international tournaments.

Yet we have an excellent league with a handful of historic, giant clubs.

Getting riled up about the international aspect of it all is silly because nobody really gives a fuck about international football until major tournaments roll round.

Salazar

GoT S4 Ep9

That Olly lad nodding at Snow after he has drilled an arrow into Ygritte - fucking died laughing. Some parts of that episode weren't so flash, but god damn - the high points are high.

Fergie

Banned
On a similar theme: Giuseppe Bergomi: 'I regret not playing in England – I could have joined Coventry'

"Did you ever come close to playing in England?

Once. And it has been one of the biggest regrets of my career that it didn’t happen. When I was coming to the end of my playing days, Gordon Strachan was the coach of Coventry. He came to me and said 'Ronald Nilsson is leaving, he’s 36 the same as you. If you want to come and join us, we’d love to have you here'. I said no. I wanted to finish my career having played only for Inter Milan. But looking back it’s a big regret. Maybe, if I had accepted, I would now be working as a manager. In England, they always gave you the chance to become the manager of a team in the Premier League or the Championship very quickly. Look at Gianluca Vialli, Gianfranco Zola, Roberto Di Matteo… even Attilio Lombardo was given his chance. But it’s gone. And I’m happy to be at Sky [Giuseppe is the main co-commentator at Sky Sports Italia]."

Bonus: "Which player that Hodgson left at home would you have picked for England?

Maybe John Terry. Perhaps Hodgson lacked the courage to stand out and secure Terry’s call-up. But what really surprised me most is the absence of Tom Cleverley: I imagined that Hodgson would call him up despite the fact he hasn’t played that much this year."
What do these people see in Cleverley?

English Xavi innit.

Oh Darijo, you're fucked mate.

BqF_uY_IQAAKstj.jpg

Edit: might just be his fan account

Suen

GoT S4 Ep9

That Olly lad nodding at Snow after he has drilled an arrow into Ygritte - fucking died laughing. Some parts of that episode weren't so flash, but god damn - the high points are high.
Hahaha that part was so good, laughed at it so much as well. So fucking smug
despite shitting his pants earlier

So many more serious things happening at the wall that all other problems going on in the rest of the land seems insignificant in comparison

You can prove it by the fact our amateur teams were regularly dominating European and South American teams. West Auckland (an amateur side) beating (1905 Italian champions) Juventus 6-1 in the Sir Thomas Lipton trophy is proof enough for me.
Is that the Lipton Ice Tea guy?

Well it's obvious the level of English football was well above that of Italian football in those years. Italy didn't even have a national team then, while England had been playing for some 40 years already. During that time frame, England, or rather Britain as a whole, being the best footballing country, is a given. Nobody else really cared. Hence, the American football argument.

When football did gain popularity elsewhere, thus leading to international competitions (which wouldn't have made sense before) England didn't turn up (and that's the period I'm referring to when I say that we can argue to no avail, and England and their arrogance are solely to blame for that). When they did turn up, their superiority delusions were shattered.

And that's it really lol, nobody can deny they're a big footballing nation, just as nobody can deny that Italy, Brazil and Germany are bigger footballing nations

Derp1na

Banned
The England versus Italy debate is stupid. Italy are a far bigger footballing nation internationally, if we're using success in international tournaments as the metric. Not even up for discussion.

Are Uruguay a bigger footballing nation than England because they've won more World Cups and got to more semi finals than England?

Of course success isn't the sole metric.

You can prove it by the fact our amateur teams were regularly dominating European and South American teams. West Auckland (an amateur side) beating (1905 Italian champions) Juventus 6-1 in the Sir Thomas Lipton trophy is proof enough for me.

There are clubs on the continent that are older than many of our Premier League clubs.

If the Intercontinental Cup is revived and becomes the biggest cup in football, you can't really blame the likes of Santos, Ajax, Bayern, Liverpool and Leeds for refusing to participate in the 60s and 70s, which allowed the Argentinian and Uruguayan teams to dominate.

It is pointless talking about an era when England had decades of playing football experience compared to everyone else. Brazil didn't even play their first international game till 1914.

So Buffon is out? The stars are aligning in England's favour. Have been for a while now.

Obama's Turkey, innit.

Lots of different noise about Buffon.

Hopefully if he is out it will be a case of Toldo level performances like in Euro 2000 rather than Marchetti in 2010 when Gigi has missed tournaments through injury.

Arnie

Are Uruguay a bigger footballing nation than England because they've won more World Cups and got to more semi finals than England?

Of course success isn't the sole metric.

There isn't one definitive metric, though. That's the point. Nobody here is right or wrong.

The idea of a 'footballing nation' is fucking silly.

Derp1na

Banned
Is that the Lipton Ice Tea guy?

Well it's obvious the level of English football was well above that of Italian football in those years. Italy didn't even have a national team then, while England had been playing for some 40 years already. During that time frame, England, or rather Britain as a whole, being the best footballing country, is a given. Nobody else really cared. Hence, the American football argument.

When football did gain popularity elsewhere, thus leading to international competitions (which wouldn't have made sense before) England didn't turn up (and that's the period I'm referring to when I say that we can argue to no avail, and England and their arrogance is solely to blame for that). When they did turn up, their superiority delusions were shattered.

And that's it really lol, nobody can't deny they're a big footballing nation, just as nobody can deny that Italy, Brazil and Germany are bigger footballing nation

England were the best when no one else really cared, sure. Nobody really cared about the first few World Cups either, which is why I argued that they don't really count (and why I argued that Madrid sweeping up in the 50s didn't really count either).

You are forgetting all those Copa Americas

So you do think Uruguay are a bigger footballing nation than England?

this female has one of the most aesthetic vag & anus combos i have ever seen in the quarter of a century that i've been alive.

She really does. I've fapped to her pictures and videos plenty of times.

Buffon out? Fuck. Sirigu is an able replacement, however, Buffon's presence brings a sense of security at the back that no other Italian keeper can replicate

pulga

Banned
I think a country would be more disappointed that England aren't coming to their World Cup than Argentina (if Messi had been ruled out for being a drug cheat) or Italy. That's because England are a big deal in the history of football.

HahaOhWowHaddock.jpg

pulga

Banned
holy fucking shit i just had a big case of the deja vu

its like ive read this page before in a dream or something

halp

Suen

Molinaro going back to Turin. First Torino steal our EL spot, then they steal a player that was rather decent for us in the spring.

#FuckTorino

Herr K

Banned
#FuckInter #FuckTorino

I hope Mattia plays like the talented lad he is.
holy fucking shit i just had a big case of the deja vu

its like ive read this page before in a dream or something

halp

all that important stuff you're always doing is fucking with your mind, ale

bud

of course there are a million better looking women out there. but look at her anus and vagina. look at it again. and again.

name your most beautiful woman in the world and you can say the same thing about her.

please understand.

if i said i want to slip my peins between her bobies

would you hold it against me

no, but it saying something about a woman's bobes might get you banned. ;_;

Herr K

Banned
I'd definitely deposit my seed inside her.

edit: I was about to tell you I'd bring pupusas, but then I remembered those are salvadoreñas pls lol

of course there are a million better looking women out there. but look at her anus and vagina. look at it again. and again.

name your most beautiful woman in the world and you can say the same thing about her.

please understand.

Not a suitable thread title either

please understand.

In terms of A and V combos Aletta Ocean, Angelina Crow and Dakota Skye are p great off the top of my head.

I am an expert.

Yen

guys did you know hitcher thinks we should banish artists because he says art is imitative and does not reveal anything on reality and this is corrupting because we would not know about forms and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom