• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovren would be a good signing. Never heard of Meyer, but that's because I don't watch one-team leagues.

Valdes and Johnson would be shit signings.

Valdes would be a fantastic signing for reasonable wages. Based on last year, he could quite easily displace Mignolet, and even if he didn't, he'd be a fantastic number 2 if only for one season

Never gonna happen though. Balls to Johnson though.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
It would be rather hilarious if we got dutched tonight, almost more fun than winning the game.

I dont much care for England

Was highly impressed with Netherlands defence yesterday. Indy will be good at United next season.

owhlxd.gif

Not sure if serious.

Also France will do better than Italy this year.

How is that not serious.

Italy have reached more international finals in the last 8 years than England have in their whole history. Germany and Brazil are also final masters.

Although I am being very generous to Holland and Portugal in putting them off in the respective tiers.

TeddyBoy

Can't believe a half fit Danny fucking Welfuckingbeck is starting over Sterling

All hopes on Studgemeister D

Don't worry Hitch, England will go out against Costa Rica and Lallana will return home to seal his move to Liverpool.
Our deadline has passed, we won't sign him but at least none of our players will likely get injured if they only play three matches.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Oh shit, just logged into Origin and the hardline beta is there, worth the install? I hear there is alot of lag...

Also France will do better than Italy this year.

France just feel like a team that clicks. Which is kind of surprising considering how fucked up they were last time around. That dickhead Nasri being banished provided the same feeling as when a massive boulder like turd from your anus gets flushed into the sewers of hell.

iA1S7dn62Q3Kk.png

They also have an easy group.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
God Tier: Brazil, Germany, Italy. Finals are the expected norm.

Second Tier: Spain, Argentina, Holland, Uruguay.

Third tier: France, Portugal, England
Naaah.

Italy is in 2nd tier, along with France. But the difference in quality between Italy and England isn't THAT big. I can see them winning, sure.

The difference in spirit and team harmony though is massive, and will be Italy's greatest weapon as usual.

Naaah.

Italy is in 2nd tier, along with France. But the difference in quality between Italy and England isn't THAT big. I can see them winning, sure.

The difference in spirit and team harmony though is massive, and will be Italy's greatest weapon as usual.

I was responding to the big country comment. England is not a big country with a big history. One final and two semi finals in international tournaments aint amazing.

Italy, Brazil and Germany are the biggest countries in football history.

LTWheels

Welbeck starting would be a massive disappointment.

My ideal formation would be:

Gerrard, Henderson, Wilshere
Sterling, Sturridge, Lallana(or Rooney - 1 last chance)

Not a fan of the 4-2-3-1 of Woy.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I was responding to the big country comment. England is not a big country with a big history. One final and two semi finals in international tournaments aint amazing.

Oh sorry!

England are minnows then, but still better than most countries by winning one in 66.

Italy, Germany and Brazil are in God tier in terms of titles and finals.

Wilbur

Banned

We have the most famous worldwide league, lots of worldwide famous players, and are known as the home of football. It's also treated as a upset and big news when we crash out of tournaments early. We are a big footballing nation.

Derp1na

Banned

We invented football. We're the biggest country in football history.

The UK is also the most important country in football.

Man, that was awesome yesterday.
As much as I despise Robben and as much as I'm genetically coded to hate the NL footbal team I couldn't help but be happy for them because Spain is just so much worse by being prolific cheaters / full of barca cunts :D

Really hope they drop dead in the group stage.

Derp1na

Banned
It's important to remember that England didn't compete in the first few World Cups because we were quite clearly the best at football and thought that playing loser nations such as Italy was below us. This can be seen in the Sir Thomas Lipton trophy, often called the first World Cup.

The football associations of Italy, Germany and Switzerland duly complied, but the Football Association of England refused to nominate a club because they felt that playing loser nations such as Italy was below them. West Auckland, a lowly amateur side of coalminers from the Northern League were entered into the competition, although it has never been entirely clear why.

Guess which team won? That's right, West Auckland FC won the first tournament in 1909 and the second and final tournament in 1911 against Juventus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Thomas_Lipton_Trophy

It's like what I was saying about La Decima. Everyone called me bitter, but I was right. You can't just go around winning the first few tournaments when the English didn't care about it and pretend that those cups really count.

It's important to remember that England didn't compete in the first few World Cups because we were quite clearly the best at football and thought that playing loser nations such as Italy was below us. This can be seen in the Sir Thomas Lipton trophy, often called the first World Cup.

Guess which team won? That's right, West Auckland FC won the first tournament in 1909 and the second and final tournament in 1911 against Juventus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Thomas_Lipton_Trophy

It's like what I was saying about La Decima. Everyone called me bitter, but I was right. You can't just go around winning the first few tournaments when the English didn't care about it and pretend that those cups really count.

Well since England started caring the count is still 2-1.

Derp1na

Banned
Well since England started caring the count is still 2-1.

By the time England started caring, the rest of the world had caught up and/or bettered England. That doesn't change the fact that England were by far the best football team for about the first 60 or 70 years of football.

To say England isn't a big football nation is just wrong.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Can't believe a half fit Danny fucking Welfuckingbeck is starting over Sterling

All hopes on Studgemeister D

power subs. the starting 11 are just there as placeholders.

woy couldn't have telegraphed his strategy better if took out an op-ed in la gazetta dello sport.

We have the most famous worldwide league, lots of worldwide famous players, and are known as the home of football. It's also treated as a upset and big news when we crash out of tournaments early. We are a big footballing nation.
On British press, yea. For everyone else, it's business as usual. And it is, since you haven't gone past the quarter finals in a World Cup in 24 years.

Of course, it'd be foolish to deny that England is indeed a great football country. Too bad that, when international competitions started, and they started to care about them, they had already started waning. And sorry, the "we weren't there because we were too good so it doesn't count" excuse is bollocks. This match should have made it clear to everyone.

Great footballing nation, but one tier below Brazi, Italy, Germany and Argentina, when it comes to international football. If we're talking club competitions though, they're obviously up there with Spain and Italy.

England beat Italy in their first match since becoming "world" champions in 1934, in what many pundits of the day called the real World Cup final.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Highbury

Too bad it wasn't a world cup final but a friendly lol Also Italy played with 10 men for the whole match due to an injury and England had the home advantage. That hardly proves anything. If England wanted to have a shot at winning the World Cup, they should have partaken in it.

Derp1na

Banned
People always call me salty but that's because I just bring the truth in a way that hurts.

aUv25kJ.png

Juventus had already been champions of Italy by that stage. There is no need to be upset that English teams were the best. Two of the most followed clubs in the world can trace their shirt colour (Real Madrid) or their name (Corinthians) to an amateur English side.

England beat Italy in their first match since becoming "world" champions in 1934, in what many pundits of the day called the real World Cup final.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Highbury

It was 3-0 after 12 minutes, but England obviously didn't really care that much and let Italy get a couple of consolation goals.

pulga

Banned
PcF9PGI.png

Here's a surprising stat: Isco was the Madrid player who played the most games over last season. 53 games, one more than Benzema and Di Maria.

Of course, not saying he had the most minutes, he clearly didn't, but its a surprising stat nonetheless!

pulga

Banned
oh my god guys this is simple

Italy 4 stars >>>>>> England 1 star

Done. Italy is best European team.

The argument is strikingly similar to those who say Arsenal are not a big team.

While not all teams that win the champions league are big teams, I do feel we are not a truly big team on a level with Liverpool/Man United and the European elite until we do win the Champions League.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom