• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingJolly

Banned
Many won't give a damn but for any carribean gaffer's here the U-20's Qualifying matches will begin next wednesday

MEN%20S%20U-20%20Qualifiers%20Fixtures%202014%20latest-page-001.jpg

feel

People who have FIFA14 on the ps4, what exactly does "No Tournament Mode" mean? Can't I for example play the english premier league offline match after match without having to manage shit or what.
You cunts seem to adore talking about videogames, FIFA and/or playstation 4 all the time, but not when I actually want you to. Pls.

hiroshawn

Banned
It would be nice to see another carribean country make it to a world cup. Haiti and Trinidad and Tobago did it.

Edit: Forgot Jamaica was in WC 1998

Yes We made it in 1998. It was a national holiday every match. I'm gonna have us using the Dutch system with a higher emphasis on counter attacking.

FootballFan

It's a shame no one has him singing Gorillaz. Was incredible. I listened to it everyday on whatsapp.

This defeat has left a sick feeling running through my body.

People will go on about Costa Rica being amazing, but in reality they were playing the game of their life’s and still looked ordinary. This was Italian fucking up big time and losing it.

I have no idea why Prandelli picked Motta over Verratti and it is a decision I look forward to hearing him explain. Pirlo is a liability in this squad. The whole team runs through him and building the squad around a 35 year old playing a tournament in a hot country was always going to be a mistake. I said months ago that if Pirlo doesn’t show up in a game then we will struggle. That is unless we use Verratti next to him. It worked well against Luxemburg in the first half and brilliantly against England. Pirlo can destroy most players on a football pitch, he is intelligent and composed enough to get out of trouble when someone is rushing on to him and making them look silly. However, as Munich showed two years ago constantly rushing on to him and charging him with energy will eventually take its toll on him. That is why Verratti is needed next to him. You can’t just try to restrict Pirlo, because Verratti will keep us ticking at the same pace. Motta is a brilliant passer, but his job is to play it safe and ensure that the team keeps its shape. Normally that is not a bad thing, but it is when you already have a play named De Rossi who is doing the same job.

There was also Marchisio who I think was meant to be like a winger and stay on the side like Candreva, but that is not a role that he is suited to and so was mainly staying in the midfield area. As a result of Motta starting we had four midfielders who basically were trying to share the exact same area of the pitch, although DDR would drop deeper and Marchisio was making great runs forward. For too long in the first half it was Balotelli up front alone and Marchisio trying to bridge the gap. With Verratti and Pirlo playing together it allows each other to get forward more and try and dictate the game from a higher position, but we saw none of that yesterday.

So as result the first part of the first half looked rather sluggish and overcrowded and made it easier for Costa Rica to get the ball. But as it is Italy our undoubted class started coming through and we started to impose ourselves as the first half went on and Pirlo was getting his passing right. We should have scored with Balotelli’s first effort on goal and then CR should have had a penalty and then did score a nice goal which was against the run of play at that part.

But nothing to worry about at half time because we are Italy and we are well known for keeping our cool and staying composed. Prandelli made the right decision in bringing on Cassano to link the midfield and the attack together more.
However, for some reason I have never seen an Italian side that looked so panicked in possession. People trying to do too much with the ball and force passes that were not there. It was a shambles and the toll on Pirlo was starting to show with the constant energy around him causing him to play some sloppy football.

Then Insigne and Cerci were thrown on and the team completely collapsed with too many individuals on the pitch and we stopped playing as the unit that had gotten us to the Euro 2012 final and easily through qualification. There was plenty of space to exploit, but players were trying to do it themselves or getting edgy and jumping offside. The team had no fluidity to it in the second half and it was the worst 45 minutes of Italian football I can remember.

There are so many negatives about this game then I care to think about. The Darmian-Candreva partnership that worked well against England was torn up and Candreva only had one cross in the game compared to seven in the England game.

Prandelli needs to stop tinkering with the squad from game to game and stick with what works best. If he does then we have the players to win this competition. But If he buys into his own bullshit off seven systems for seven games then we will be going home next Tuesday.

Suen

Has season 2014/2015 started yet?
:lol

The transfer drama is not even done yet. Patience Zabo.

edit: shanks, bringing on Cassano was a big mistake imo. He does great to link up between midfield and attack but midfield was already struggling bad, if there's no good midfield in play Cassano is mostly dead weight. One of the major problems Parma had in their season; midfield was just too bad to link up with him (but when it worked it worked really well)

GorillaJu

People will go on about Costa Rica being amazing, but in reality they were playing the game of their life’s and still looked ordinary. This was Italian fucking up big time and losing it.

Ugh "we're so big and good we couldn't possibly lose by any merit other than ourselves"

No dude, Costa Rica were good, they defended well, didn't let the Italian attack link up and were fluid in attack. They beat Uruguay 3-1, so "playing the game of their lives" doesn't quite work when they clearly are capable.

You severely overrate this Italian team. They are a *good* team with a few excellent players.

Ugh "we're so big and good we couldn't possibly lose by any merit other than ourselves"

No dude, Costa Rica were good, they defended well, didn't let the Italian attack link up and were fluid in attack. They beat Uruguay 3-1, so "playing the game of their lives" doesn't quite work when they clearly are capable.

You severely overrate this Italian team. They are a *good* team with a few excellent players.

Absolutely agreed there's nothing I hate more than those who refuse to give credit to or when they do give credit make into backhanded compliments about a side because they perceive their team as being too big to have loss any other way. Frankly Italy was the one who looked ordinary past pedigree means nothing if you are unable to perform on the big stage.

FootballFan

I'm with you here 100% Pete.

I kind of agree with him though, Costa Rica did well(not the game of their lives, it was good) but Italy's offense was astoundingly predictable and easy to defend. Costa Rica does well as a team but individually they still lack a lot of skill that could be easily exposed with some fierce pressing. Easier said than done, but still.

They did very little in that game, Italy started slow and then showed no composure in the second half. What the second half needed was cool heads. Had we we stayed composed we could have ripped them a new one. But we got too giddy and players were straying offside and trying to go up through the middle. There were huge gaps to be exploited in the second half, but we chocked.

FootballFan

I feel like people underrate Bosnia. Just because it's their first(?) time at the WC.

Everybody seemed to expect Argentina to smash em and expected Nigeria to make it out of the group too. Obviously they aren't winning the World Cup but I dunno I just disagree that they would be easy opponents for most teams.

Suen

Belfodil is back to Parma after a spectacular failure of a season at Inter. Mendes and Benalouane are back to Parma which is some small good news.

Parolo likely off to Lazio for a semi-decent deal.

Rumors of Paletta going to Lazio. Cassani is likely leaving and Molinaro has already been bought by Torino. Paletta and Cassani are starters, Molinaro was very good. Simply put this is like the regular defense in XI gone. Very bad news.

Sansone and Chibsah off to Sassuolo for something like 5m (what a fucking joke) according to recent reports. I'll still repeat myself and say that Sansone was the most promising player in the team, a pure talent from the Bayern academy. Not wanting to keep him is like Spurs not wanting to keep Bale and selling him for cheap. We didn't keep him and we aren't selling him for a good price and he probably doesn't want to come back.

I think we own Bia 100 % now but reports are linking him with Inter, would rather keep him with the ongoing mess but doubt he wants to stay after what happened last month.

Saponara is now 100 % owned by Milan. We sold him for one fucking million, what the fuck is wrong with this club? How can they fuck up so badly on so many deals?

To summarize this:

We're selling most of our good players for cheap and keeping so much trash. This summer mercato is already killing me and we aren't halfway through yet.

Why even bother showing up for Serie A next season, just close the fucking club already.

I feel like people underrate Bosnia. Just because it's their first(?) time at the WC.

Everybody seemed to expect Argentina to smash em and expected Nigeria to make it out of the group too. Obviously they aren't winning the World Cup but I dunno I just disagree that they would be easy opponents for most teams.

Yea Bosnia was very impressive were it not for that own goal they would have walked away with a point from that match and it would have totally been deserved.

caesar

Banned
Please, this CONCACAF circle jerking in the wc thread is doing my nut in. England are shit and out, now I have to put up with this?

I can't wait until they all get knocked out in the Ro16.

Deschamps seems to be a top manager based on these opening games btw. I won't pretend Honduras and Switzerland are the best of the best, but he's put a damn fine system and setup into place for the players to slot into and perform.

Wish Rodgers could manage Liverpool and Engand at the same time, with the promise that he'd drop England if the juggling proved too difficult. Failing that, give Everton a payoff and get Martinez in.

Zabojnik

Speaking of players we apparently can't afford, it looks like Berardi, Zaza and Marrone are all staying put. Sassuolo won. Sassuolo has more mercato power than Juve. Another 3-5-2 season incoming.

Fuck football. Fuck everything. I'm out.

Suen

Speaking of players we apparently can't afford, it looks like Berardi, Zaza and Marrone are all staying put. Sassuolo won. Sassuolo has more mercato power than Juve. Another 3-5-2 season incoming.

Fuck football. Fuck everything. I'm out.
Sassuolo is stealing everyones players. I'm quitting together with Zabo. Fuck football. I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom