• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy

But buut.... Gerrard
But buut... Cahill
But buut....

This is why England will get no where. Just simply admit it. England just weren't good enough. Can't even implement and understand the simple basics of football and failed miserably. Yet again.
Clean slate. Start "fresh". Get a template in place and pick players who will do well in a system of choice. Get a footballing identity.
English football will never get anywhere while idiots like Greg Dyke run the FA.

His proposal to stop taking in as many foreign players is proof of this. As does his b-league idea. As is the target to reach the semi finals of Euro 2020 that Dyke has set, bearing in mind that England have only ever:
A) won one knockout game throughout the European Championship's history, and that was on home soil in a penalty shoot out vs Spain.
B) that you don't start football development in 2013 when the target was set, a target of 2020 is too early, you should be starting with 8 year olds in grassroutes before focusing on 16 year olds they should be aiming for 2028.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Wonder if LvG has handed all his targets over of if he is waiting till after the WC to get things going, the thought that Woodward is actually trying and failing right now is too much :(

Blablurn

man. i posted a random FF XIII gif in the world cup thread. i wanted to post it here in the first place. but im too lazy to change it now. i will just leave it there and see how the scene develops.

Wilbur

Banned
man. i posted a random FF XIII gif in the world cup thread. i wanted to post it here in the first place. but im too lazy to change it now. i will just leave it there and see how the scene develops.

I just saw it and was about to post in here how odd you are :lol

iuRTsou.png

I've never actually facepalmed before, but I came close listening to the Bombcast last night when Drew tried making a joke about the World Cup by saying 'sorry about the UK' to Danny O'Dwyer

What an idiot. Hot on the heels of yet another dull story about his extreme weekends. Getting close to dropping it.

Elchele

Deschamps seems to be a top manager based on these opening games btw. I won't pretend Honduras and Switzerland are the best of the best, but he's put a damn fine system and setup into place for the players to slot into and perform.

Wish Rodgers could manage Liverpool and Engand at the same time, with the promise that he'd drop England if the juggling proved too difficult. Failing that, give Everton a payoff and get Martinez in.

Deschamps' Marseille was kind of a bad joke tho

International football level is much lower than football club level

LegoArmo

So is that a contract that keeps a player who relies solely on his pace at the club until he's 33?

Weird. He's definitely a good squad player though.

I've never actually facepalmed before, but I came close listening to the Bombcast last night when Drew tried making a joke about the World Cup by saying 'sorry about the UK' to Danny O'Dwyer

What an idiot. Hot on the heels of yet another dull story about his extreme weekends. Getting close to dropping it.

Please do so you can drop the Drew rants every week. You should go listen to Patricks podcast where he talks about all the newest roguelikes instead.
1l60FCa.png

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Deschamps' Marseille was kind of a bad joke tho

International football level is much lower than football club level
No they weren't, he won them their first league title since 1991 and three CdL in a row

Deschamps was a very good coach wherever he went, remember his Monaco?

No, of course you dont.

None of that group stage shit. And I don't think there was any seeding.
It was easier and not as prestigious .

Please do so you can drop the Drew rants every week. You should go listen to Patricks podcast where he talks about all the newest roguelikes instead.
1l60FCa.png

Oh God

Brad Muir is great btw, would be cool if he was on the Bombcast occasionally

Idle Thumbs is a swing far too hard in the opposite direction of GiantBomb imo, they don't discuss games broadly enough, they discuss one little nuance in a game for 15 minutes

Wilbur

Banned
France were so good last night. Switzerland were inept, but they're usually so well organised. France's power and movement was just top.

Wilbur

Banned
^yup

Both one and the same. Less money means no one gives a shit about it. It was all about winning your league back then.

And now, if we're being honest.

:lol wut

Definitely not the case. Haven't a lot of Juve fans expressed wishes that conte should focus on Europe now he's got three wins in a row?

And as for the handful of games thing, same for the World Cup but you were very quick to defend Cannavaro then.

^yup

Both one and the same. Less money means no one gives a shit about it. It was all about winning your league back then.

And now, if we're being honest.

Not in England

I think Liverpool are probably the only team in the country who'd much rather win the league than the Champions League

LTWheels

Drew's awesome. He's stories are far more interesting than anything else discussed on that podcast. Enjoyed listening about the paintball stuff and other physical activities he gets up to.

Has any managers in the modern era managed a national side part-time whilst managing a club side as his main job? Or is that just a FM thing?

I can't see it being realistically possible as both are demanding if done properly.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
:lol wut

Definitely not the case. Haven't a lot of Juve fans expressed wishes that conte should focus on Europe now he's got three wins in a row?
Yes because we have too many league titles.

Didn't you argue the same not that long ago?

Drew's awesome. He's stories are far more interesting than anything else discussed on that podcast. Enjoyed listening about the paintball stuff and other physical activities he gets up to.

I completely agree, really do enjoy that part of the show.

Yurt, I would say that If I was a Juve supporter too.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
And as for the handful of games thing, same for the World Cup but you were very quick to defend Cannavaro then.
Did you just compare winning the World Cup with your country in an international competition with Club football?

bud

France were so good last night. Switzerland were inept, but they're usually so well organised. France's power and movement was just top.

france and germany are my favourites to win it--they've been the best teams i've seen so far.

bjaelke

Has any managers in the modern era managed a national side part-time whilst managing a club side as his main job? Or is that just a FM thing?

I can't see it being realistically possible as both are demanding if done properly.

Guus Hiddink

Wilbur

Banned
france and germany are my favourites to win it--they've been the best teams i've seen so far.

Yeah, absolutely (although with the caveats that France's group isn't brilliant and Portugal were dire)

Both will make the semis if they avoid each other

bud

the worst teams i've seen so far are iran, nigeria, and honduras.

pulga. sikaffy.jpeg2000.

please explain yourselves.

Juve should focus on CL because Serie A is a joke league with no other big clubs that can put up a fight anymore. They aren't proving anything to anyone by winning the scudetto but crashing out of CL yet again. It's kind of like Bayern, few fucks are given when they win the Bundesliga because it is expected.

I could see why La Liga and BPL fans would care a lot more about winning those leagues though. I used to argue with La Liga and BPL fans about that but I've come around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom