• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Winning the world cup is more special as it happens every 4 years, not every year.

It probably is the case that winning the World Cup is the pinnacle of a footballer's career, but the champions league is only growing in stature, especially for the super clubs like Bayern and real/Barca

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Juve should focus on CL because Serie A is a joke league with no other big clubs that can put up a fight anymore. They aren't proving anything to anyone by winning the scudetto but crashing out of CL yet again. It's kind of like Bayern, few fucks are given when they win the Bundesliga because it is expected.

I could see why La Liga and BPL fans would care a lot more about winning those leagues though.
"Yet again"

We 'crashed out' to Bayern in the knockout stages. We're a work in progress, at least.

Scum

Yeah, but why?

Again we play name players, push others out of position, those names fail to do anything yet again and we stick by them. They simply aren't good enough and are massively overrated. That's fine, so play a younger team built for a certain system and style of play and stick to it. Work as a team instead of the best individuals. We had a non-DM at DM, a CM who isn't good enough at CM, and 3 strikers in a system made for 1 striker. The balance was awful, and is constantly the case.

We did neither having the players we had, we won't improve in this system going forward and players missed out on experience to fit in players who always fail.

I'm still hurting, I had low expectations and Woy managed to fail to meet even the low standards. :( Curious on the next team even though I know I shouldn't be, will he drop the undroppables?

Do you mean, "Why we're not good enough?"
It's because the people in charge are simply not willing to do what's needed. England are a good/very good side. Throw in some team cohesion and they'll give plenty of teams trouble. Problem is, they just can't manage the basics from top to bottom. I've played a better game of football with my mates at Wanstead Flats than this mob.

English football will never get anywhere while idiots like Greg Dyke run the FA.

His proposal to stop taking in as many foreign players is proof of this. As does his b-league idea. As is the target to reach the semi finals of Euro 2020 that Dyke has set, bearing in mind that England have only ever:
A) won one knockout game throughout the European Championship's history, and that was on home soil in a penalty shoot out vs Spain.
B) that you don't start football development in 2013 when the target was set, a target of 2020 is too early, you should be starting with 8 year olds in grassroutes before focusing on 16 year olds they should be aiming for 2028.
Fucking pathetic. Whole damn place needs a clearout. Air out that old people stink.

bud

just saw this clip from four years ago again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebJfxXXcz_U.
iyIEIP15d8gqE.png

Yeah, absolutely (although with the caveats that France's group isn't brilliant and Portugal were dire)

Both will make the semis if they avoid each other

They're on course to face each other in the quarters, assuming Germany top their group too.

I had Brazil v France and Chile v Argentina semis in my bracket.

Thiago Motta is complaining about the heat

Fair enough, but you're Brazilian.

Motta fucking sucks and is a cunt.

I didn't watch the game yesterday but the second I saw Motta in the lineup I knew Italy's midfield was going to get overrun. Italy played much worse the second he came on against England too.

I'll never understand what Prando sees in this guy. Maybe he wouldn't be so bad if he were the only DM and surrounded by quick players, but next to Pirlo and De Rossi, it makes the midfield terrible. Verratti needs to play next game.

Marc

How are you guys saying it is easier to win in europe before CL? It was an actual champions league, not champions plus a bunch of shite like it is now.

Way more technical players then as well.

Do you mean, "Why we're not good enough?"
It's because the people in charge are simply not willing to do what's needed. England are a good/very good side. Throw in some team cohesion and they'll give plenty of teams trouble. Problem is, they just can't manage the basics from top to bottom. I've played a better game of football with my mates at Wanstead Flats than this mob.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. If you asked anyone on the street what style of football we played, and asked about other countries... the answer would be a bunch of ummm's and ahhhh's for England. I have no idea what we are trying to achieve as a team in each tournament, well under Sven he was a bit more obvious to be fair. Not in a good way.

just saw this clip from four years ago again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebJfxXXcz_U.
iyIEIP15d8gqE.png

I assume Diego is being a cunt?

Muller already has more world cup goals doesn't he? At 24 years old.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Motta fucking sucks and is a cunt.

I didn't watch the game yesterday but the second I saw Motta in the lineup I knew Italy's midfield was going to get overrun. Italy played much worse the second he came on against England too.

I'll never understand what Prando sees in this guy. Maybe he wouldn't be so bad if he were the only DM and surrounded by quick players, but next to Pirlo and De Rossi, it makes the midfield terrible. Verratti needs to play next game.

a one hindered MILLION times THIS

And it's not like Verratti-Pirlo wasn't working or something, he was brilliant in our first game.

LOL...He didn't even run much and he is slow.....He looks good at PSG thanks to Ibra just like Nocerino at Milan, I never rate him btw

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and Darmian combined well with Candreva v England, so I don't get why he switched him to a LB position? Abate was AWFUL last night.

Just stick Chiellini in LB (to minimize his fouls ffs) and use Bonucci in CB!

Really not sure about giving Tony V a new contract.

Guy's been on a decline for years and his one asset, pace, is waning.

You get rid of those players, generally speaking.

Carbonox

Sammy Ameobi leaving Newcastle. The Ameobi Game of Thrones is dead.

Newcastle in talks with reps of Enner Valencia. pls, this World Cup would signal him out for bigger and better teams no doubt. Spain would be a smart move for him.

Sammy Ameobi leaving Newcastle. The Ameobi Game of Thrones is dead.

Newcastle in talks with reps of Enner Valencia. pls, this World Cup would signal him out for bigger and better teams no doubt. Spain would be a smart move for him.

Both the Ameobis are gone? The Magpies might as well accept relegation before the season has already started.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
and Prandelli went FULL ALLEGRI by using Pirlo on the left and not in his usual deep-lying position.

WHAT AN ODD NIGHT

BqlRdo0CQAE_t6Z.jpg

sorry Gary, we've failed this city

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Really not sure about giving Tony V a new contract.

Guy's been on a decline for years and his one asset, pace, is waning.

You get rid of those players, generally speaking.

Valencia is the least terrible of your three wingers though, you were never going to get rid of all of them. Surely it's better to have him in reserve that Young? You don't want to sell too many established players at once.

Valencia, Young, Nani, Kagawa, Carrick, Hernandez, Cleverley, Fletcher, Fellaini, Anderson, Buttner, Welbeck, you could make a case for all of them to be sold but it's not going to happen. Only silly clubs like QPR
and Tottenham
ship out so many at once.

Salazar

Young, Nani, Kagawa, Carrick, Hernandez, Cleverley, Fletcher, Fellaini, Anderson, Buttner, Welbeck, you could make a case for all of them to be sold but it's not going to happen. Only silly clubs like QPR
and Tottenham
ship out so many at once.

s8OIyCB.gif

I'd keep Kagawa and Welbeck.

I wouldn't sell the others. I'd take advantage of Manchester's fine, thriving underworld. They'd never be found.

Suen

Leonardi told non-motivated players to fuck off, hope Saponara got that message clearly. We can fuck off for selling him for 1m as well.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Tottenham Hotspur @SpursOfficial · 22m

We have reached agreement with Hull City for the permanent transfer of Jake Livermore: http://bit.ly/1kYmMPS

£6.5m in the bank then.

I wonder if LvG sees him as a wing back in 3-5-2.

Valencia in any position other than bog-standard RW is asking for it. The man let Christian Eriksen score a header for god's sake.

Yen

Valencia was the only player who could beat Jose Enrique in pure physicality - pace and power. That's all Enrique had/has going for him. Wonder what'll happen to him, Kelly and Wisdom.

£6.5m in the bank then.

Valencia in any position other than bog-standard RW is asking for it. The man let Christian Eriksen score a header for god's sake.
He really is an awful RB, just doesn't know where he is.

I haven't seen enough wing backs play but maybe he will be better suited playing as a wing back rather a RB in a 4, possibly.

Yeah that might work. Think he'll swap between 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 with us.
I just have no idea what he's planning on doing.

Only thing I'm sure of is that our defence is going to be shit.

He really is an awful RB, just doesn't know where he is.

I haven't seen enough wing backs play but maybe he will be better suited playing as a wing back rather a RB in a 4, possibly.

I just have no idea what he's planning on doing.

Only thing I'm sure of is that our defence is going to be shit.

Why's that?

Why's that?

Just don't think we have good enough defenders. All of them are defensively prone in some way.

As much as I love Rafael and will love Shaw - they're not what you'd describe as solid and reliable defenders. The CB's - it's well documented.

Obviously we may buy some CBs but I haven't seen us linked with anybody yet who is a really reliable and consistent defender. And then there's a matter of adjusting to a new system and tactical plan completely which I think is going to take us a while to figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom