• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

This is also definitely true.

My step dad loves art. He studied it and he loves it.

I 100% readily admit that I have no formal art training to help me understand why something along the lines of an empty tin can or a seemingly incoherent splash of paint has intrinsic value.

Saying that, there's only so much time in the day and space in one's brain so I suppose there's also an argument to say people simply have other things to be getting on with.

Yeah, and this is why art education is so bad. Ultimately people think of it as something very low on the totem pole of priorities and they would rather focus on applicable and productive subjects, so it receives very little attention.

And there's the guy in the OT who tried to turn his dick into a submarine.

Where on your scale said piece falls I'm not too sure. Indeed there's probably some considerable overlap.
We don't have to put every piece in a specific category, but there's a distinction to be made between legit art and "art".

L1NETT

feature_hirst48__01__630x420.jpg

Not all "art" has to be good.

Problem is with how people perceive the word.

We don't have to put every piece in a specific category, but there's a distinction to be made between legit art and "art".

Reread that. What is legit art? Who decides that? Can it ever change? How does one even define art?

It's far too loaded a term

GorillaJu

Explain it to us.

It's like someone said Rothko's art is amazing because he uses the golden ratio. I know what the golden ratio is too. That's not art, that's science.

Rothko's art isn't amazing because of the golden ratio. The golden ratio has been used by mankind for like 2500 years - one painter using it to put blocks of color on a canvas isn't going to make them worth millions. You want a specific reason why abstract art is valuable or amazing, but there is no magical symmetry or gimmick I can tell you that will suddenly convince you why abstract expressionists were brilliant or why a urinal flipped upside down with a man's signature was such a cultural statement. To explain why Rothko's art is amazing would require context, and it's nearly impossible for me to give you that. If you'd seen his paintings in person you wouldn't be asking this question. They're phenomenally beautiful.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Why is Danny Murphy an analyst? Why is Phil Neville?

Yellow card BBC

#COL starting-XI: Ospina, Zapata, Yepes (c), Sanchez, Armero, Aguilar, Gutierrez, Rodriguez, Cuadrado, Ibarbo, Zuniga

#GRE starting-XI: Karnezis, Maniatis, Manolas, Samaras, Kone, Salpingidis, Torosidis, Gekas, Sokratis, Cholevas, Katsouranis

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Yeah, it is killing me. Plus Neil Lennon, why would anyone want to hear from someone who has never played at the highest international level.

Never forget ITV

"Here is world cup winner Patrick Viera, World cup winner Cannavaro and Lee Dixon"

Derp1na

Banned
Rothko's art isn't amazing because of the golden ratio. The golden ratio has been used by mankind for like 2500 years - one painter using it to put blocks of color on a canvas isn't going to make them worth millions. You want a specific reason why abstract art is valuable or amazing, but there is no magical symmetry or gimmick I can tell you that will suddenly convince you why abstract expressionists were brilliant or why a urinal flipped upside down with a man's signature was such a cultural statement. To explain why Rothko's art is amazing would require context, and it's nearly impossible for me to give you that. If you'd seen his paintings in person you wouldn't be asking this question. They're phenomenally beautiful.

I have seen them in person. I live in London and my school regularly took my class on trips to London's galleries, especially the Tate Modern. They were nothing to write home about. Nothing in there was anything to write home about. I haven't been in about 8 years so I might feel different now, but I doubt it.

I like Picasso and van Gogh though.

Gorlak

Banned
As much as I will hate to see it, I really think my Germany are gonna be shit this WC.

Löw has been found out too many times and all the injuries aren't helping.

Since the last Europameisterschaft I have lost all faith in winning a title under the reign of Löw. But nonetheless something inside me slowly starts to believe we could do this (especially if spain gets knocked out), we have one of the most talented squads, we have champions league winners, we have experience, we only need that last bit of mentality to give it all no matter how bad things are. We can do this!

I am going to be disappointed yet again, won't I? :(

GorillaJu

I have seen them in person. I live in London and my school regularly took my class on trips to London's galleries, especially the Tate Modern. They were nothing to write home about. Nothing in there was anything to write home about. I haven't been in about 8 years so I might feel different now, but I doubt it.

I like Picasso and van Gogh though.

Well no one is prohibiting you from having your opinions about what art you can like and what you dislike.

I just read he will have a test before the game.

#believe

I have a question for you. I just watched that 50 greatest WC moments that you posted. What the fuck was the personal incident in Turin that Lippi could have told the Italian squad about Zidane before the 06 final??????

Mr Cola

Who to watch out for for Columbia? Dont recognise any of their players, but top 8 in the world :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom