• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Moyseh

---

The biggest change to Belgium came when Marouane Fellaini was introduced for Moussa Dembele, midway through the second half. It's difficult, in modern football at the top level, where the structure and organisation of opponents is so good, to find tools that can make a difference and suddenly break the pattern of a game. But that's Marouane: he's a difference-maker.

It's because he is such an unusual player. His size is such a threat to the opposition. He's technically gifted, especially when it comes to chest control, and he's formidable in the air — though, actually, I feel he should score more headers than he does. He can run. He has brilliant fitness, a brilliant attitude. He's hard to categorise: not really a No 10 and not a controlling midfield No 4 but more what they say on the continent is a No 8 - a box-to-box midfielder who has great ability and physical presence in both penalty areas.

What we saw him do against Algeria was what I brought him to Manchester United for. He took time to settle at Old Trafford but in the final month of last season was becoming an influence, a different sort of player to the ones already there and one who was having an impact in games and helping produce goals. I feel he still has the potential to go on and be a good United player.

I felt for him over the criticism he took. He's a shy boy, a humble boy, a quiet personality. Despite appearances — the hair makes him look like an extrovert — he's a gentle, sometimes emotional, soul who is so desperate to do well and he was hurting because he wasn't able to show his true self at the start of his United career. That was partly because of injuries. There was a lot of pressure on him from day one.

Without going back over old ground regarding last summer's transfer window I want to make two points. The last thing we wanted was to make him my first signing as United manager and only signing of the summer. That was always going to bring too great a spotlight upon him. But by the time we got to deadline day the club hadn't been able to close a couple of big deals and there was no choice.

Marouane was never seen as someone who would play 45 games a season. He was coming in to provide an option, a different, more physical threat, to those United already possessed, who could be deployed in the right situations.

In other words,

WOODWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"He's a shy boy, a humble boy, a quiet personality. Despite appearances — the hair makes him look like an extrovert — he's a gentle, sometimes emotional, soul who is so desperate to do well and he was hurting because he wasn't able to show his true self at the start of his United career. "

hahahah what is this, gentle, sometimes emotional.
Loooooooooooooool

As opposed to gentle but sometimes cruel and ruthless like Viva

I really don't believe that

a) Suarez has a reasonable release clause that still takes effect when we're in the CL
b) We'd have made it that low when he was on a run of 17 goals in 10 games or whatever it was when he signed it

I wouldn't be surprised if he left, and I wouldn't be surprised if we were pressured into doing it for around £70m knowing that time is more important than money in this case. If his release clause is that low though, I'll be livid.

Sterling to Madrid is a non-starter, as he would be.

LTWheels

The whole idea of Suarez being upset that Brendan never said he was missed is almost up there with Yaya's birthday.

Anyway isn't this the same freelance journalist that came out with the Suarez to City story right before we played City...

Not saying that Suarez won't leave, but I strongly doubt that this journo has the inside info first over the likes of Barrett, Evans or Rory Smith with regard to Liverpool.

Clegg

"The last thing we wanted was to make him the first and only signing of the summer. By the time we got to deadline day the club hadn't been able to close a couple of big deals and there was no choice".

Moyes is having a proper go at Woodward.

bud

"He’s technically gifted"

tXwL4hD.png

GorillaJu

Duncan Castles ‏@DuncanCastles

@hitman8976rawk The people in charge of Liverpool Football Club are clearly not men of their word so can't be ruled out.

lol this guy

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
please force him to stay and decline every single Madrid offer.

Fight the good fight, fuck the players.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I genuinely can't recall a time Madrid wanted a player and didn't eventually get him :s
Because they know when to pull out.

Off the top of my head: Pirlo 2006, Vidal or Pogba last season and Aguero and Falcao? Edit: and Ribery, right!

They need the player to ruffle the club's feathers too :p

GorillaJu

This Indian restaurant by my house serves this super oily vegetable soup. I have no idea what flavor it is and what its made out of but I absolutely love it. Wish I knew how to make it myself.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

Henry said it best, look at Costa Rica, a team with no recognisable world cup stars who have completely blitzed the group based on their organisation, pressure and determination. Lineker talks about a lack of "World Class players in their prime" and it speaks to everything wrong with the team, we have had world class players in the past, they have done nothing. There is an ethos problem, there is a huge problem with pressuring the other team, we are far too keen to let other teams play their football. Id rather a team of Costa Rica's and Chiles than a team of World Class players that play terrible football.

pulga

Banned
Because they know when to pull out.

Off the top of my head: Pirlo 2006, Vidal or Pogba last season and Aguero and Falcao? Edit: and Ribery, right!

They need the player to ruffle the club's feathers too :p

Most of those were tabloid bs though. Madrid was never truly in for Pogba last season for example. Once Madrid really sets their sights on someone, that's when it's hard to stop them.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Most of those were tabloid bs though..
No they aren't. Many of those stories were confirmed by the players or clubs.

and again, Madrid know when to pull out. Once they're really in for someone, it's because they're confident they can claw him away from his club.

You can't do that to Bayern, you tried.

caesar

Banned
Oh yeah, our first 5 games the upcoming season.

16/08/2014 15:00 Leicester City v Everton
23/08/2014 15:00 Chelsea v Leicester City
30/08/2014 15:00 Leicester City v Arsenal
13/09/2014 15:00 Stoke City v Leicester City
20/09/2014 15:00 Leicester City v Manchester United

Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U.

anthony-knockaert-leicester-city.jpg

Get ready for Knockaert to go in dry on your asses.

Hixx

why would you pick that shit idiot

Who the FUCK doesnt have metro yet
What even IS betrayer
Lone Survivor is free on superior console u pEASANT
who the fuck PLAYS slender games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom