• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennywise

LPXvusQ.png

Working out good so far.

Wilbur

Banned
My biggest misgivings are Hendo and Gerrard as a midfield two; think Gerrard had a good season but was bested time and time again when he was the deepest midfielder. Sterling needs to help out there but not so much that it negates his attacking work. A proper in form Carrick would have been top.

Marc

Sterling starting? Hmmm, maybe Lallana isn't playing?

That is great news if true, although could see Woy putting 3-4 players out of position for his favourites.

Get Infamous,TLOU,Metro,Wolfenstein or something else, just not Watchdogs.

Have only played Infamous and TLOU, but yeah... Watch Dogs isn't very good.

Got to act II and not had any real fun, been playing Dark Souls instead when I can.

L1NETT

Hart/Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines/Gerrard Henderson/Welbeck Sterling Rooney/Sturridge (edited)

WE ARE NOT GOING TO WIN THE WORLD CUP

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

Gotta get business done in tournaments to be a legend in my opinion, hes an incredible player, Liverpool legend, but for England I honestly dont think so.

He's never been great at tournaments, but he's the only one who turned up in 2012 imo

I'd have no qualms with anyone who thinks he is and England legend, and no qualms with anyone who thinks he isn't. I'm on the fence personally.

Goes down to how much importance you piut on appearances and length of service I guess. Like, Agger's been with Liverpool for 8 years now, has had some good seasons, some bad seasons, and some seasons which have been write-offs. I have no idea if I'd regard him as a Liverpool legend.

YES ROY

Marc

My biggest misgivings are Hendo and Gerrard as a midfield two; think Gerrard had a good season but was bested time and time again when he was the deepest midfielder. Sterling needs to help out there but not so much that it negates his attacking work. A proper in form Carrick would have been top.

Yeah, said it before, people say Gerrard had a good season but his role was to stop attacks and to help the team concede less goals. He failed in that regard, and fails for England doing it as well. He wants to get involved too much, no real tactical discipline and for me his worst position is in the middle anyway. Much better on the right, second striker, winger and rightback.

Unfortunately we haven't taken any DM's to the world cup.

Hitcher - I think Pirlo already showed what he can do with Henderson running around, I don't think he can do that job well. We'll see, best wishes to him... I hope I am wrong. Truly.

Don't think he's ever played against Pirlo before. Henderson in a midfield 2 is nothing like Henderson in a midfield 3, and that's before even considering the fact he's yet to really find a place in the England team.

I do agree that he's not quite cut out for top-level international football in a midfield 2, but I think he's well capable of replicating his Liverpool form if England actually use him in a similar role as the one he plays for LFC.

Hixx

Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines; Gerrard, Henderson; Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck; Sturridge

This is our best team with Oxo-cube out imo. If Johnson has a 'mare, maybe Jones in for him.

Wilbur

Banned
Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines; Gerrard, Henderson; Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck; Sturridge

This is our best team with Oxo-cube out imo. If Johnson has a 'mare, maybe Jones in for him.

Think I'd rather have Welbeck over Lallana today as well.

I'm a BBC muppet

I'd probs prefer Lallana to Welbeck but Welbeck isn't a disaster either in an England shirt.

Yeah, said it before, people say Gerrard had a good season but his role was to stop attacks and to help the team concede less goals. He failed in that regard, and fails for England doing it as well. He wants to get involved too much, no real tactical discipline and for me his worst position is in the middle anyway. Much better on the right, second striker, winger and rightback.

Barry should be there instead of Lampard.

We have 4 players who can play in front of a DM, and only one who can even play DM to a PL-standard. If Gerrard is targetted, we're fucked

LTWheels

I would rather see us play a midfield three, but Sterling is quite good a dropping deep when he has played at a tip of a diamond.

Hixx

LEE BARRY CATTERMOLE SHOULD BE AT THE WORLD CUP

He's 25 and is the best English pure DM. Undebatable. Don't try. I will tell you to shut the fuck up and risk the Wrath of the Wes King.

Neither Lallana nor Welbeck showed anything in the friendlies to show they should definitely play today. Couldn't complain about either of them missing out, both have their strengths and weaknesses for England

L1NETT

Praying Glen Johnson uses his last remaining brain cells today

Draw the best we can hope for unless Rooney conjures up some 2004 stuff

10 years later, please Wayne. Please

Neither Lallana nor Welbeck showed anything in the friendlies to show they should definitely play today. Couldn't complain about either of them missing out, both have their strengths and weaknesses for England

Without Ox who should we have picked

Without Ox who should we have picked

Outside of changing to a front 3 with Sterling and Rooney wide, either/or. Much prefer Chamberlain to either of them, but I'd err on the side of Welbeck tbh. No good sacrificing workrate for quality when the player with quality is struggling to show said quality.

With Welbz, we'll at least get some pace on his wing, added defensive stability on his wing, and potentially some quality going forward. It's not ideal, but needs must.

Marc

Don't think he's ever played against Pirlo before. Henderson in a midfield 2 is nothing like Henderson in a midfield 3, and that's before even considering the fact he's yet to really find a place in the England team.

I do agree that he's not quite cut out for top-level international football in a midfield 2, but I think he's well capable of replicating his Liverpool form if England actually use him in a similar role as the one he plays for LFC.

He came on in 2012, we got worse, think it was for Parker who was probably doing the best of anyone in breaking up their attacks.

Maybe, but when you think about it Hitch mate, how many midfields in the premier league last season would you really rate? One of the worst in my memory. Before you had Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Keane, Vieira etc. at various times on top of their game. I think that is why Rodgers is looking for more in that position for the CL.

Hixx - I know you are joking but I wouldn't be against it if he was told his international career would end if he went down to ground to tackle and lost it. As in he has to be 100% certain, he is so much better when he uses standing tackles and doesn't risk tackles.

As for Lallana v Welbeck, we tried with Welbeck and did nothing. I would prefer we tried to keep the ball. Lallana at his worst always makes space for himself to become an option. That is England's biggest problem usually.

Yen

Christ, Alistair McGowan is on pointless. Awful.

His main role for Liverpool was to launch attacks and recycle position. It's obvious for better or worse that Rodgers was willing to concede (a lot). And that Liverpool won 13, drew 3 and lost 1 in the games Gerrard played in that position, I don't think it was much of an error to put him there.

Of course, England's 4231 is a whole other kettle of fish to Liverpool.
I wouldn't worry about it anyway, England were never going to make any impression on the tournament, Gerrard or not.

Hixx

Hixx - I know you are joking but I wouldn't be against it if he was told his international career would end if he went down to ground to tackle and lost it. As in he has to be 100% certain, he is so much better when he uses standing tackles and doesn't risk tackles.

I am 100% not joking.

Since Poyet came in Lee Cattermole has been a fucking fantastic footballer.

Marc

Sorry, Dark Souls references stuck in my head atm. Was saying you are dead to me now. :D

When Sunset Overdrive comes out though I will be very jealous.

Yen - His job was the DM, that was his position. You can be a sweeper CB but your first job is to still defend. I saw Gerrard let people run off him for fun, which at the prem level was bad enough, at this level it has me very worried.

Eh, I think we could have gone another way which is a bigger gamble but leave the likes of Gerrard and Lampard who had their chances at home and lets kids do their best. Can either fail and learn something, or see new stars rise. I would of wanted to see that.

L1NETT

Andy Townsend and Gareth Southgate having "supper" together sounds more boring than a 24 hour Antiques Roadshow Omnibus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom