• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Really glad we have a new signing, CM no less, some of his youtube stuff is awesome and I cant wait for pre-season! Gotta keep up that MUTV subscription.

Another player i know nothing about but people are excited for is Strootman, but why January and not now? Is it because of his Injury or is it contractual?

scently

Really glad we have a new signing, CM no less, some of his youtube stuff is awesome and I cant wait for pre-season! Gotta keep up that MUTV subscription.

Another player i know nothing about but people are excited for is Strootman, but why January and not now? Is it because of his Injury or is it contractual?

Injury.

If you want a good look at Herrera, go watch Atl Bil vs RM last season. He was so good in that match.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Injury.

If you want a good look at Herrera, go watch Atl Bil vs RM last season. He was so good in that match.

Saw that vid an hour ago, some of the ball control is marvelous, would we play Strootman and Herrera in the middle? Or is one cover for the other?

I worry about Strootman. He's coming off a big injury that usually takes some physical ability out of the player and he'll only start playing towards the end of the 1st half of the season.

I worry about Strootman. He's coming off a big injury that usually takes some physical ability out of the player and he'll only start playing towards the end of the 1st half of the season.
Apparently he is going to be back sooner than expected. Could be playing in September.

That said it takes players a long time to come back from this type of injury. Would be best left til the summer IMO.

scently

Saw that vid an hour ago, some of the ball control is marvelous, would we play Strootman and Herrera in the middle? Or is one cover for the other?

Herrera is a forward thinking midfielder. Think of him as Modric with a bit of Fabregas that can tackle. Strootman is a DM/pivot, but an excellent one at that.

Mr Cola

Theres a point, the hell happens to Fellaini next year? Impact sub? Feel kind of bad for him to be honest, not his fault he was brought into the team in a position that made no sense for him. Didnt help he played gash of course.

On a similar note I wonder how Mata will figure, would be a shame if he became marginalized, such talent.

Theres a point, the hell happens to Fellaini next year? Impact sub? Feel kind of bad for him to be honest, not his fault he was brought into the team in a position that made no sense for him. Didnt help he played gash of course.

On a similar note I wonder how Mata will figure, would be a shame if he became marginalized, such talent.

Striker.

Basically with Fellaini either Gahl transforms him into a competent CM or DMC or he gets sold.

Interested to see what he does with Mata though.

Jarnet87

what does all this mean for Anderson?

No idea. Could be sold or maybe van Gaal gives him an opportunity. I like Anderson over Cleverly for the fact that Anderson plays with confidence in himself. He may only accurately complete 1/10 through balls and his shots are wildly inaccurate, but at least he takes chances. He'll drive forward and try to quicken the pace of the game for United while Cleverly just sits deeps and passes sideways and backwards. He deserves a chance to play in LVG's system.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
(this isn't a build up to a bumhole joke)

apparently a massive sinkhole opened up next to Italy-Uruguay's stadium :/

150 homes were damaged but everyone miraculously survived

Jarnet87

Rooney is no Schweinsteiger, the fat kunt will end up doing what he always does. Drop deep to pick up the ball and make it look like he's a team player, flick it out wide to Valencia then waddle up to the opponents penalty box and sit there getting in the way of van Persie.

Mr Cola

As Michael Carrick looks to be coming towards the end of his career, Marouane Fellaini seems to be out of his depth, and Tom Cleverley continues to be Tom Cleverley, it is likely that this won’t be Manchester United’s final midfielder addition of the summer
Oh ITV :D

So Toure whinges about his birthday bollocks when he wants to leave/get a pay-rise without saying a word about City stopping him from visiting his brother, something which is a ar more legitimate reason to have a gripe with them. And now that he's died, it's suddenly become something worth mentioning, and basically reminding everyone that the time to buy him is now.

Can't help but feel that he's using his brother's death as a veil to escape City. Which is sickening, if it is the case.

Think I'll watch Moon if it's on Netflix, or Event Horizon which I can't remember anything about, other than the giant sphere that looks like it's made of mercury, and Sam Neill bing in it

Suen

They're not bad, but your attack is amazing. And when you do lose games it's almost always because of the defense and the stupid errors they still make.
Defenders make mistakes, you're always going to have those times. Carvajal might have a bright future at Madrid. Varane is a given, Marcelo/Coentrao are good. Pepe has shown to be good and had a great season. Ramos dipped in form but came back strong in the final months of the season, him and Pepe were without a doubt one of the biggest reasons why we held ourselves so well against Bayern. We have a solid defense. There's two reasons to why I'd sign defenders :

1. Despite Ramos and Pepe performing well they are walking red cards. Their idiocy has costed us games enough times.
2. Rotating. By the end of the reason our defense (well most of the team) was burnt out, having a better choice of defenders would allow us to rotate with better players and not slip up like we did. We could have won the treble :/

Anyway we aren't in a crisis like Barcelona is. Not buying any defender(s) this summer is not going to affect us badly but it would be preferable over buying an attacker like you said. Given that Perez is the president we'll probably get an attacker. Wohooooooooo

Carbonox

So Toure whinges about his birthday bollocks when he wants to leave/get a pay-rise without saying a word about City stopping him from visiting his brother, something which is a ar more legitimate reason to have a gripe with them. And now that he's died, it's suddenly become something worth mentioning, and basically reminding everyone that the time to buy him is now.

Can't help but feel that he's using his brother's death as a veil to escape City. Which is sickening, if it is the case.

I think it's pretty clear by now that Yaya Toure is a complete cunt. Regardless of how good he is he ain't worth that much aggro. Sell him and buy Tom Cleverley.

Or maybe he didn't really want to bring attention to his brother on his deathbed, who knows, silly to speculate too much in... He certainly got some problems with City all of a sudden for one reason or the other and as we know, footballers are pretty damn great at forcing themselves out these days.

TeddyBoy

If they wouldn't let him have a day off to visit his brother and he could see him after the World Cup, he'd go see him afterwards. Something that would annoy him but he'd forget about it. If City wouldn't let him have a day off and now he can no longer see his brother I'm not surprised he's upset by it (if the story is true).

pulga

Banned
Defenders make mistakes, you're always going to have those times. Carvajal might have a bright future at Madrid. Varane is a given, Marcelo/Coentrao are good. Pepe has shown to be good and had a great season. Ramos dipped in form but came back strong in the final months of the season, him and Pepe were without a doubt one of the biggest reasons why we held ourselves so well against Bayern. We have a solid defense. There's two reasons to why I'd sign defenders :

1. Despite Ramos and Pepe performing well they are walking red cards. Their idiocy has costed us games enough times.
2. Rotating. By the end of the reason our defense (well most of the team) was burnt out, having a better choice of defenders would allow us to rotate with better players and not slip up like we did. We could have won the treble :/

Anyway we aren't in a crisis like Barcelona is. Not buying any defender(s) this summer is not going to affect us badly but it would be preferable over buying an attacker like you said. Given that Perez is the president we'll probably get an attacker. Wohooooooooo

Not having Jese cost us those games, I'd say. Which is why I welcome fresh legs in attack. Especially now considering Cristiano's knee is liable to blow up any second.

Tc91

Bq5OV31CIAAesNM.jpg:large

Yo,

Do any of you guys support your local club?

I want to support a smaller (relatively speaking) one but the appeal of that comes from it being local and being able to go to games and all that other stuff. Don't really have a local team besides Toronto FC but they aren't exactly what I'm thinking of.

dc89

Yo,

I want to support a smaller (relatively speaking) one but the appeal of that comes from it being local and being able to go to games and all that other stuff. Don't really have a local team besides Toronto FC but they aren't exactly what I'm thinking of.

Yes, Manchester City.

GorillaJu

Yo,

I casually support Yokohama F Marinos, my local club. The thing is that it's so easy to find Liverpool fans, info about Liverpool, news, etc that in comparison it takes a bit of work to follow a smaller team, so I can't really claim to be a fan to the extent I like Liverpool.

Meier

Off memory my hairy balls, you just got dun googlin m8 pls
Being completely honest when I say it was from memory. Madrid were desperate at the time to point out they'd paid a little less than they did so the situation stuck with me. It's why the Illarra price meme started, isn't it?

Wilbur

Banned
Herrera was brilliant last season so colour me excited. Wonder though, considering we're returning to the well of last season, if it's a LVG signing

I think we'll eschew the two up front, because he can't be replaced like for like.
Rodgers could play his favoured 433 and actually control games. I would imagine we'd use his money to buy a top class winger and maybe a CM. Maybe Lallana would fulfil the latter but it's not exactly 'marquee' - that dreaded transfer window term - and I think FSG would want to make such a statement of we were losing our best player. Though our last statement signing didn't exactly work out too well. Of course, we'd still need to sign a striker I think. Daniel-san, Rickie, (Aspas, Borini) is a bit uninspiring, as much as I do rate Sturridge.

Sanchez would be a dream signing, but we never make a signing like that. I can't think of the last time we bought a top player in their prime.

Tactically Liverpool would probably benefit from Suarez's departure, as they currently play rather awkward 4-4-2s or 4-1-2-1-2 formations in order to fit both Suarez and Sturridge. 2 strikers just don't really fit in the modern game and it was always strange to see Liverpool line up with Coutinho drifting between a LM position and a more central attacking midfield position, not to mention Gerrard playing his DM role.

As Yen said, remove Suarez and Liverpool can switch back to 4-3-3, with Sturridge as lone striker. Now, at this point you are either introducing a new left winger, like Sanchez, or a new midfielder, like ... well I'm not sure, but I guess more of an attacking midfielder, to replace Suarez. Not a hard change for Liverpool, and would probably shore up the defence, but you would need a very productive player to make up for the lost goal and assists.

Thank you for your considered responses.

It is idle speculation at the end of the day but yes certainly seems moving away from 4-3-3 might be best. Do you think we will see that next season in the Champions League (assuming Suarez stays as I think he will). In that case I assume Suarez will probably be tasked to play from one of the wide positions?

Marc

Think I'll watch Moon if it's on Netflix, or Event Horizon which I can't remember anything about, other than the giant sphere that looks like it's made of mercury, and Sam Neill bing in it

Yeah, he didn't exactly look downtrodden at the end of the season. Don't want to judge in case it is true, although city are saying there was no request for compassionate leave, not like his agent to be quiet about something.

Are you thinking of sphere maybe? Event horizon doesn't spend much time on the 'core'.

Moon is great but slow and cerebral. You seen GATTACA?

pulga

Banned
Being completely honest when I say it was from memory. Madrid were desperate at the time to point out they'd paid a little less than they did so the situation stuck with me. It's why the Illarra price meme started, isn't it?

so considering Herrera is more expensive, how much are we going value his price for the rest of the season and lol like retarded fuckmonkeys? I think 150m has a nice ring to it.

No idea. Could be sold or maybe van Gaal gives him an opportunity. I like Anderson over Cleverly for the fact that Anderson plays with confidence in himself. He may only accurately complete 1/10 through balls and his shots are wildly inaccurate, but at least he takes chances. He'll drive forward and try to quicken the pace of the game for United while Cleverly just sits deeps and passes sideways and backwards. He deserves a chance to play in LVG's system.

No he does not.

Herrera was brilliant last season so colour me excited. Wonder though, considering we're returning to the well of last season, if it's a LVG signing

They're all LvG signings m8.

pulga

Banned
When LVG fails to get results and misses out on CL qualification again, are United fans going to stand by their manager this time around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom