• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

Innocuous elbows aside. There are some that are clear violent conduct. Song's elbow is a great example. Not a ball in sight..not jumping a pure attack on a player. 3 game ban.

Not to suggest all violent conduct is equal. But If I'm Suarez's lawyer...I'm building my case right there.

It's the third time he has done it.

hiroshawn

Banned
All Suarez has to do is pay off a Doctor to say he is Bi-polar and FIFA will forgive him.

PLS ban him from international matches tournaments for life and wipe all his international goals from history.

bud

I'm going to buy mango on saturday
should be great

i can't breathe

i like to think that you initially wanted to say "i'm going to buy mangoes" but that you then quickly realised you don't have the monetary funds to afford several mangos so then you thought "well if i say i'm going to buy A mango it kinda sounds like i can only afford one and i don't want them to think that" so you didn't say that either

instead you opted to take the middle ground by simply saying "i'm going to buy... mango" this way you're keeping us guessing and we'll never truly know if you'll actually buy several mangoes or just... A mango

i need to sleep

FuturusX

It's the third time he has done it.

And I think he should get a long ban given the history.

The point here is that we don't give long enough bans for clear violent conduct. If I'm elbowed in the head intentionally I sure as hell want that player to be banned for more than 3 games.

Linius

i can't breathe

i like to think that you initially wanted to say "i'm going to buy mangoes" but that you then quickly realised you don't have the monetary funds to afford several mangos so then you thought "well if i say i'm going to buy A mango it kinda sounds like i can only afford one and i don't want them to think that" so you didn't say that either

instead you opted to take the middle ground by simply saying "i'm going to buy... mango" this way you're keeping us guessing and we'll never truly know if you'll actually buy several mangoes or just... A mango

i need to sleep

Keen analysis buddy. Goodnight.

K1LLER7

Innocuous elbows aside. There are some that are clear violent conduct. Song's elbow is a great example. Not a ball in sight..not jumping a pure attack on a player. 3 game ban.

Not to suggest all violent conduct is equal. But If I'm Suarez's lawyer...I'm building my case right there.
I agree if there is clear intent, like Song, then a longer ban may be the right thing to do (Song's elbow haha what was he thinking). Also, If a longer ban was placed on elbows, we wouldn't see Fellaini more than 2 times a season. Nobody wants that :p

Say if the ref saw the incident and gave Suarez a red card, would we have this much of a reaction from people? Calls for 2 year bans and such?

pulga

Banned
i don't think bla is coming back to the thread

rip blablurn

Why? The hell did you guys do to him during the match?
Uus4Plt.png

Elchele

i can't breathe

i need to sleep

:loooool

I doubt I can afford more than one right now. have to save some money for Saturday night

Fintan

And I think he should get a long ban given the history.

The point here is that we don't give long enough bans for clear violent conduct. If I'm elbowed in the head intentionally I sure as hell want that player to be banned for more than 3 games.

I think that part of why people react to headbutts, elbows, etc. less passionately is because people see them as "part" of the game. They're comparatively commonplace in matches, whereas biting somebody is just fascinatingly unique and bizarre. So I think people react more strongly.

But as you say, I think violent conduct should be punished more strictly and consistently. As you say, the distinction between an elbow like Song's and a bite is a bit unclear.

Jarnet87

I know the Anders Herrera deal to be off because we've reached the stage where he was sighted in manchester, or supposed to be on a flight to manchester. Herreroff.

FuturusX

I agree if there is clear intent, like Song, then a longer ban may be the right thing to do (Song's elbow haha what was he thinking). Also, If a longer ban was placed on elbows, we wouldn't see Fellaini more than 2 times a season. Nobody wants that :p

Say if the ref saw the incident and gave Suarez a red card, would we have this much of a reaction from people? Calls for 2 year bans and such?

I think so. The repulsion factor is high with biting. It's interesting that a swift kick or elbow to the head doesn't get same reaction.

It speaks to violence we expect and accept vs that which we don't. Biting makes one seem like a wild animal, in-human. Men don't bite they punch and kick right?

EDIT: It's also seen as low, dirty and cowardly. Real men fight with their fists and such.

But violence is violence to me. Ban them all WES!!!!

Lightning

Banned
Serge Aurier needs to sort out his defensive discipline. Good going forward but will get taught many a lesson defensively in the premier league. Wish he didn't play for Ivory Coast.

Where is that soft cunt Lambda?

I want him to be here when Portugal get sent home and the US advance.
Germany to beat USA 3-0. In the stars! Will be a great day should it happen.

Scum

Fuck work today. Knackered. Miss the footy as well. Missed all the fun as my phone was going off with footy updates.

Bollocks. :-(

cremino

Apparently, after the match Pirlo gave a farewell speech in front of the players and the staff except Balo who went straight to the bus without listening to him

L1NETT

Random Film Recommendation time

Kill List (Ben Wheatly director - who is top btw). Such a fucking great movie. Kinda horror movie, and the ending is great.

Random Film Recommendation time

Kill List (Ben Wheatly director - who is top btw). Such a fucking great movie. Kinda horror movie, and the ending is great.

L1nett pls

Gareth Bale said:
Pizza Express and Haagen Dazs for £4...

Has anyone seen Kill List? I bought it on blu-ray today.

I know I asked this before, but has no one here seen Kill List?

You should watch Kill List so I have someone to talk to about it!

no one has seen kill list

omgkitty

Serge Aurier needs to sort out his defensive discipline. Good going forward but will get taught many a lesson defensively in the premier league. Wish he didn't play for Ivory Coast.

Germany to beat USA 3-0. In the stars! Will be a great day should it happen.

Please let this happen and then somehow Ghana destroys Portugal and makes it through. Can't wait for all the people at work wanting to talk to me about the world cup to go away and leave me alone.

wedward

Please let this happen and then somehow Ghana destroys Portugal and makes it through. Can't wait for all the people at work wanting to talk to me about the world cup to go away and leave me alone.

You sound like a delight.

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN.

USA. USA. USA. USA.

omgkitty

You sound like a delight.

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN.

USA. USA. USA. USA.

I mean how sad is it that your chant is "I believe that we will win." Like what kind of bullshit is that? "Hey guys, we don't suck that bad! Like we may actually even win!" Every team should come into the world cup expecting to win.

Also, the reason I don't want to talk to people is because holy fucking shit it's so hard to describe to people how leagues work. "Oh you like Arsenal? Well who are they? What kind of name is Arsenal? Are they in the world cup? Well why not? Oh they're from London?? Well what about America?!?!?!?" I may be exaggerating slightly, but not by much. Honestly, don't really give much of a shit about the world cup. I want Arsenal to start buying some players and us to get the season started.

KingJolly

Banned
I was watching some deaths during sports on youtube and was surprised of so many football players dieing from Heart attacks. Why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom