• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjay

We played well when we had energy but when things got slower we had no threat.

Lost due to two mistakes:
- Failure to pick up players at a Set Piece.
- Not giving Baines help even though all Italy's attacks were down the right. Shifted Welbeck out there in the second half but he looked knackered at that point.

Why are England players knackered all the time. Do they not train much.

Our left side was our weakest area which can easily be solved by playing Lallana & Luke Shaw instead of Bains and Welbeck.

Bumhead

Banned
We have a set up and a system which works and which the majority of the players in the squad like and can operate in.

Where does Rooney play in that? Central striker? Behind the striker? Left? Right?

I know where. The fucking subs bench.

Roy came VERY close to getting this absolutely right tonight. It's not even the losing that bothers me. Tonight we played well. We looked OK, we looked confident. We looked mostly comfortable, and got beat by an experienced Italian side which still has great quality. "The Rooney Conundrum" is going to drag all that to hell with it. It's going to undermine the team and the teams progress in this tournament.

Play the system. Play the players within it where they are the most effective. Drop Rooney.

Darmian was outstanding tonight. For a new player to the squad and with no major experience he looked like he had been playing at the highest level for years.

We have many questions defensively, but if Buffon and De Sciglio can come back for the next game we should be a lot better.

I am very happy with the overall performance. We picked a team that has a lot of energy and a good workrate and our gameplan worked. I am sure we will add more creativity for the next game.

I said before the competition that losing this game wasn't the biggest fear, but exerting too much energy would be the problem for the next game. We got the second goal and relaxed a bit and took our time and saved a lot of energy. England should be worried about the amount of players cramping and exerted too much energy

@doicocare, the one time England threatened in our box
Definitely. Buffon as our gk (although I have to say, Sirigu played a good match from start to finish) and a defensive line with Astori-Barzagli-Chiellini-De Sciglio would be perfect Imho. Giorgio's performance wasn't that great, too slow, clunky and never tried, especially in the second half, to push himself near England's box.

L1NETT

Flanagan and Clyne would have been far better options. Neither are world class of course but at least they can take a couple of touches without giving the ball away...

I mean sure, but even though Johnson's had a poor season it takes stones to drop him with Walker injured for two really really inexperienced players (Clyne's spot been taken by Chambers also)

--

Another point is i'd rather lose playing like that than stumbling to a draw playing defensive dross.

So Roy reckons Wayne did a good job on the left. Grand.

Saying Wayne, you were shite tonight ain't exactly gonna be super for morale in the camp is it now

Wilbur

Banned
i was honest about our shortcommings. Defence is a worry, but we executed the gameplan that we were meant to for this game. I expect a very different Italy setup in the next game

It's nonsense to say bollocks like "playing at 50 percent and still totally better", and especially considering all your hubris before the game. Man, it irritates me :lol

It's just so blinkered.

Anyway. Regarding the game.

Sterling, Sturridge and Henderson the positives from that. Rooney needs dropping, he doesn't do any of the jobs he's supposed to do.

JustDrive

We have a set up and a system which works and which the majority of the players in the squad like and can operate in.

Where does Rooney play in that? Central striker? Behind the striker? Left? Right?

I know where. The fucking subs bench.

Roy came VERY close to getting this absolutely right tonight. It's not even the losing that bothers me. Tonight we played well. We looked OK, we looked confident. We looked mostly comfortable, and got beat by an experienced Italian side which still has great quality. "The Rooney Conundrum" is going to drag all that to hell with it. It's going to undermine the team and the teams progress in this tournament.

Play the system. Play the players within it where they are the most effective. Drop Rooney.

Meier

I thought England played well. Thought Paletta's two body checks in the box were clear penalties -- one at a minimum should have been given.

Uruguay game is going to be fun.

avaya

Why are England players knackered all the time. Do they not train much.

Our left side was our weakest area which can easily be solved by playing Lallana & Luke Shaw instead of Bains and Welbeck.

No they do not use the same 'training methods' or 'diet'. Those are code for the most obvious shit in the world. There is only one reason a 35yr old playing in 30+degrees did not suffer cramp while players in the prime of their physical fitness succumbed to it.

Your goal was from outside the box

Ours wasn't

When are you going to stop posting shit all the fucking time? There's honestly a limit as to how one eyed someone can be before they become fucking parodies, and you're pushing it.

Someone said England had more shots. England did, but a lot were from outside the box. Sure our goal was from outside the box, but we were trying to score a "perfect" goal more often than not so had less shots. Which was a big problem because we did not have the players on the field who could penetrate England in this game.

Hahahahaha someone gif that pls

untitled-9l3dl4.gif

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Why did Lallana come on for Sturridge? Why not Lambert?

I just don't think we created enough.

Full backs didn't really create much. Rooney and Welbeck had a moment each. And then it was just Sterling getting into spaces but not actually delivering more than a couple of good passes, but he did play very well.

If you don't control the game you need to make sure you create chances when you attack.

Wilbur

Banned
No they do not use the same 'training methods' or 'diet'. Those are code for the most obvious shit in the world. There is only one reason a 35yr old playing in 30+degrees did not suffer cramp while players in the prime of their physical fitness succumbed to it.

Pirlo didn't even jog that entire game.

Mastadon

Banned

Lol behave. I must have missed Pirlo sprinting up and down the pitch like Sterling was.

I thought we played well in the first half, good to come back from Italy's first goal. That pass from Sterling was brilliant, and the assist was honestly the best thing I've seen Rooney do in an England shirt for years. Even first half.

Second half, Italy took control and we never really recovered from the winner. Rooney never helped Baines on the left, and that flank was pretty much non-existent the whole of the second half.

Overall, a decent performance. Lots of good things to take from that I think.

Wilbur

Banned
I just don't think we created enough.

Full backs didn't really create much. Rooney and Welbeck had a moment each. And then it was just Sterling getting into spaces but not actually delivering more than a couple of good passes, but he did play very well.

If you don't control the game you need to make sure you create chances when you attack.

Baines and Johnson slowed down play too much. We just ran out of ideas in that second half. Gerrard looking for the diagonal to Johnson far too often, who did fuck all.

First half was the most I've enjoyed watching England in a long time. With a better pitch, under better conditions and hopefully Roy sees the light and sacrifices Rooney, we can beat Uruguay, Suarez or not.

It's nonsense to say bollocks like "playing at 50 percent and still totally better", and especially considering all your hubris before the game. Man, it irritates me :lol

It's just so blinkered.

Anyway. Regarding the game.

Sterling, Sturridge and Henderson the positives from that. Rooney needs dropping, he doesn't do any of the jobs he's supposed to do.

Well i do feel we were only playing at 50%. Had we gone full pelt we would have screwed ourselves for the next two games. We were very slow and lacked urgency. We played within ourselves and I think we have set ourselves up nicely for the Costa Rica game. Everyone should be fresh and none of the pregame issues I had with the heat and humidity seemed to crop up. There were very few misplaced passes because of lack of concentration because of the heat.

Scum

Baines and Johnson slowed down play too much. We just ran out of ideas in that second half. Gerrard looking for the diagonal to Johnson far too often, who did fuck all.

First half was the most I've enjoyed watching England in a long time. With a better pitch, under better conditions and hopefully Roy sees the light and sacrifices Rooney, we can beat Uruguay, Suarez or not.
4-3-2-1 or 5-4-1 Diamond in the middle

Sterling was absolutely brilliant. What a fucking player!
He wasn't that good.

It was a very impressive performance but he only made one chance that I can remember. Ultimately his output wasn't that great - although not helped by the others being shit around him.

Still an incredible performance for someone his age at this level but yeah, he had the cross across goal and a good shot. Otherwise it was lively stuff but that's it.

Btw it's easy to say Baines was getting overloaded but for the goal his tackling was fucking laughable and had nothing to do with being overrun.
He got caught under a lot of balls that's the commentators were blaming on Rooney too. He isn't all that defensively.

Definitely got doubled up on far too often though.

doicare

@doicocare, the one time England threatened in our box
So that other time Rooney was in your box and shot just wide didn't magically happen?
It matters tonight. DRINK YOUR POISON

DRINK IT
So you're saying that for years you've been wrong every single time Manchester United have had horrendous injuries because injuries do matter? Well it's good to know after all this time you can finally admit that i'm right and you got it completely wrong, fair play to you.

The winner of this group ends up with Netherlands in the quarters, the runner up ends up with Brazil (ignoring a lot of factors that could change the outcomes).

Sanjay

Didn't get the Henderson sub. Should have taken Gerrard off

England have a real problem with Gerrard being England's captain, he's a player you sub off at 60 minutes.

Henderson was great though, all the Liverpool players were except Gerrard, he did nothing except give the ball away trying to do Hollywood balls.

Gerrard didn't get cramp either

Players putting in the hard yards and numerous sprints feel it more, who knew?

They say this, I want to see the data.

So that other time Rooney was in your box and shot just wide didn't magically happen?

So you're saying that for years you've been wrong every single time Manchester United have had horrendous injuries because injuries do matter? Well it's good to know after all this time you can finally admit that i'm right and you got it completely wrong, fair play to you.

Of course there were shots in the box, but the majority seemed to come from outside. When England got into our boxing they caused us problems. That is why I am happy that England took so many long range shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom