• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT23| Goal-Line Technology Saving Football In Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitled-9l3dl4.gif
this is brilliant

Dead

Dying

need CPR

Pls

Was obvious what candreva was going to do, and Baines made it far too easy for him. Cahill didn't even know where balo was either.

Blaming Johnson for that was a nonsense by the BBC commentators. If he doesn't track Marchisio and the ball goes near post (which would have been an easier cross), they'd have a go at him for doubling up on Balotelli and ignoring the runner.

Just have to hold your hands up for that after the cross. Cahill could maybe have sorted his feet quicker, but the cross was perfect, and Balotelli's movement too sharp

Baines had to do better though. Left himself completely fucked after the lunge from the easy feint. Could tell he was uncomfortable though (in the moment, and across the match), he was looking at the midfielders for direction, and support that was never going to arrive in time

Zabojnik

I honestly don't think I've ever seen England play this good. Not that it was a spectacular performance from either team, but ... I don't know, I think this team shows a lot more promise than the ones before it.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
ITV Ratings
JOE HART: Looked relatively steady throughout. Could do little about either goal. Six out of 10.

GLEN JOHNSON: Same old story - good going forward, weak at the back. 5.

PHIL JAGIELKA: Cleared Balotelli's effort of the line and generally played ok. 6.

GARY CAHILL: Lost Balotelli for Italy's crucial second goal. 5.

LEIGHTON BAINES: Was given the run around all night by Antonio Candreva. 5.

JORDAN HENDERSON: Controlled the game well with his passing. Looked calm on the ball. 7.

STEVEN GERRARD: Kept the game ticking over, but did not produce anything magical. 6.

RAHEEM STERLING: England's best performer. Even had the Italians clapping him by the end of the game. Skills and pace a real asset. 8.

WAYNE ROONEY: Set up Sturridge, but did not do what he is paid to do - score goals. Two good chances. 5.

DANNY WELBECK: Full of energy and life throughout. Justified his starting place. 7.

DANIEL STURRIDGE: Took his goal well and was a threat all night. 7.

Substitutes:

ROSS BARKLEY (on for Welbeck, 60mins): Exuded confidence and tested Sirigu. Will be pushing Rooney for a start against Uruguay. 7.

JACK WILSHERE (on for Henderson, 72 mins): Drifted in and out of the game. 5.

ADAM LALLANA (on for Sturridge, 79mins): Could not turn the game in England's favour. 5.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Fair play to the English posters here, not as annoying as the fucks with us.

So that other time Rooney was in your box and shot just wide didn't magically happen?

So you're saying that for years you've been wrong every single time Manchester United have had horrendous injuries because injuries do matter? Well it's good to know after all this time you can finally admit that i'm right and you got it completely wrong, fair play to you.
Naah.

Another point is i'd rather lose playing like that than stumbling to a draw playing defensive dross.

This is a fair point but I don't think we were that far off getting it right (or at least better), the criticism I have is that we could have made the decisions that could have seen some improvement.

I'd love to know what Johnson has over Roy though, it must be from his Liverpool days to keep getting picked. Offers nothing, you know a player isn't worth his seat on the bus when your own assistant trashes him on Sky Sports like Gary did a while back.

GorillaJu

Damn, sorry bout the loss England bros.

The real world cup starts here, though.

GO JAPAN

バモスニッポン!

cpTtGJy.jpg

D2Vk1Gj.jpg

9xpqjLq.jpg

Sanjay

Also can someone explain to me why Pirlo was let go by AC Milan on a free and no major teams from England / Spain went for him?

This has been a mystery to me for years.

Wilbur

Banned
I honestly don't think I've ever seen England play this good. Not that it was a spectacular performance from either team, but ... I don't know, I think this team shows a lot more promise than the ones before it.

Our attacking play and movement was as good as I can remember seeing it. Patience in possession (if a bit too much at times), genuinely willing and incisive runners in Welbz, Sturridge and Sterling, and some real pace.

Unfortunately, our back line is extraordinarily far removed from Neville - Rio/Campbell/Terry - Cole.

This is a fair point but I don't think we were that far off getting it right (or at least better), the criticism I have is that we could have made the decisions that could have seen some improvement.

I'd love to know what Johnson has over Roy though, it must be from his Liverpool days to keep getting picked. Offers nothing, you know a player isn't worth his seat on the bus when your own assistant trashes him on Sky Sports like Gary did a while back.

Hodgson himself trashed him when he was Liverpool manager

Genuinely think Flanagan is better than Johnson, Jones or Walker at RB now. I didn't think he was as bad as he normally is tonight though tbf, although it's fair to say our right flank was ignored and they targetted the left 90% of the time

It was a good performance mostly.

After what happened in 2012 against Italy this was a big step forwards. We gave Italy a game. Considering England's recent past it's a good bit of progress.

Hodgson is doing an okay job building a young team. Of course we need to make sure we win the other two games to cement this progress but yeah it was quite intriguing rather than the usual resigned feeling we get when we play a good team.

Just really can't wait to be rid of Rooney for both United and England.

I've come around to your side. His weaknesses hamstring the team far too much, and his versatility is a myth imo. He can play one position well, one average, and one poorly. And we don't pay him a ludicrous amount of money to do it

Come on pulga, let's admit we woz wrong

Bumhead

Banned
Well i do feel we were only playing at 50%. Had we gone full pelt we would have screwed ourselves for the next two games. We were very slow and lacked urgency. We played within ourselves and I think we have set ourselves up nicely for the Costa Rica game. Everyone should be fresh and none of the pregame issues I had with the heat and humidity seemed to crop up. There were very few misplaced passes because of lack of concentration because of the heat.

Italy "played within themselves" in as much as that they earned the right to.

There aren't many teams in the world who are as continually effective at controlling the pace of a game - and killing it when they have to - as Italy. Maybe none if Spain have shit the bed as hard as their result suggests. As soon as Italy went 2-1 up the game was always going to go that way. They've got too much quality in those midfield areas and are organised and experienced enough to see games out like that.

To be blunt, it's a fucking nightmare to play against and there's only so much you can do to penetrate that if you're a side like this England one, which for all the huff and puff lacked that killer edge.

I'm not sure playing at 50% is strictly true, but the fact so many of our players went down with cramp and the Italians looked so comparatively fresh was no coincidence. We were chasing the game and Italy were happy to set up and let us.

Wilbur

Banned
Was surprised to see Italy play with such little width tonight (even accounting for the winner). No natural full backs, and four central midfielders (Candreva's a bit of everything really isn't he?)

Not sure if they got away with it or if it was a good choice.

Just really can't wait to be rid of Rooney for both United and England.

Absolutely. It was a great cross for the goal, but he isn't the only player in the team capable of that. He's supposed to be the only player capable of some things in the side, hence why he's picked time and time again.

Hodgson himself trashed him when he was Liverpool manager

Genuinely think Flanagan is better than Johnson, Jones or Walker at RB now. I didn't think he was as bad as he normally is tonight though tbf, although it's fair to say our right flank was ignored and they targetted the left 90% of the time

Bizarre. I'd have taken Stones personally - if we're going to use youth i'd have just gone all the way and Walker is injured but seems to be like a yoyo.

defel

Kinda feel that we deserved something out of that game but Italy took their chances and England ran out of ideas. I enjoyed watching England play (for once) though.

Johnson was poor - cant take on defenders and always cutting inside and back
Definitely better with Sterling in the no. 10 role.
I think both teams were very slow and sluggish today, none of the speed and pace off the ball we've seen from Liverpool for example - Im hoping thats down to the heat rather than a lack of desire or passion but you never know with England

Wilbur

Banned
I've come around to your side. His weaknesses hamstring the team far too much, and his versatility is a myth imo. He can play one position well, one average, and one poorly. And we don't pay him a ludicrous amount of money to do it

Notice how United fans say it all season and no one agrees

And then all the England fans suddenly agree

I wonder why

Scum

Haha what? Annoying fucks as the Brits coworkers I'm watching it with

Pissed you off all night, did they?

Drogba to Juve is done?

Oh.

You were warned. He just threads on other players toes. He gets in the way of England's forwards and he gets in the way of Shinji and Mata.

Zabojnik

Unfortunately, our back line is extraordinarily far removed from Neville - Rio/Campbell/Terry - Cole.

Yeah, Italy's doing a bit better there, or would, if all the players were fit. Still, it doesn't exactly hold up to Cannavaro/Nesta/Zambrotta. Looks like Darmian might be this WC's Grosso though, which is encouraging. Not sure what is going on with De Sciglio, but if he comes back in a decent shape and gets his fitness back ... De Sciglio - Barzagli - Chiellini - Darmian, with De Rossi as master protector in front of the line ... not too bad. Not too bad at all.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Hey Yurt. I said some things loudly in a pub about Wayne Rooney, but it was worth it.
YES SHAKE!!!!
Yurt, tales of your escapades with the Russian birds while I wait for Japan v Ivory Coast.
She left 14 mins ago :( it's too late for anything she's going to work tomorrow :/
I thought you meant annoying fucks with us(being Italians on here)

I did not want to gloat but rather talk about Italy, but i still offend, even when I try not too ;(
No you are all lovely ♡

Italy "played within themselves" in as much as that they earned the right to.

There aren't many teams in the world who are as continually effective at controlling the pace of a game - and killing it when they have to - as Italy. Maybe none if Spain have shit the bed as hard as their result suggests. As soon as Italy went 2-1 up the game was always going to go that way. They've got too much quality in those midfield areas and are organised and experienced enough to see games out like that.

To be blunt, it's a fucking nightmare to play against and there's only so much you can do to penetrate that if you're a side like this England one, which for all the huff and puff lacked that killer edge.

I'm not sure playing at 50% is strictly true, but the fact so many of our players went down with cramp and the Italians looked so comparatively fresh was no coincidence. We were chasing the game and Italy were happy to set up and let us.

That was what i was getting at when i meant playing at 50%. I was not trying to troll. I feel we could have stepped it up if we had equalised or had gone behind. Had we played at a higher tempo which we are capable of with a more creative player on the pitch behind the striker than we would have suffered the same cramps and drop in concentration has England did towards the end of the game. Although Sirigu did look to be straining towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom