• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

Mixed bag for Evertoninas in this match. Howard was the GK of the tournaments while Mirallas was crap.

The good news is, that Mirallas ain't going nowhere.

black_13

Banned
Man that was one hell of a game! US seem to finally wake up after that first goal. Shame they couldn't push further.

If it wasn't for Tim though it would've been an easy win for Belgium.

Marc

57 seconds with Belgium at 5 on 1, think the ref was being kind

5 v 2 mate, certainly seen them fucked up in this world cup. :D

USA can be proud, their players gave everything. I wish I could say that about my team.

Belgium deserved to go through but ref should have played more time IMO.

jtb

Banned
USA played like total shit in the first 90 minutes. don't know why this team doesn't start playing until they go behind, I get that they thrive with that underdog mentality but there's only so far that can take you. same as last world cup too, went behind in just about every single match.

if this team played like they did after they went behind, with Belgium playing as openly as they did, who knows how it turns out. ah well. now let's get Green playing regular first team football somewhere, tie up Zelalem's passport, and the future is looking up for this team.

Yen

BrfaxFoCQAADx6a.jpg

Gambit

Fuck it why am I this emotional? This match felt like Rocky I.

that's a very apt comparison. Next time, Apollo, next time!

I am very disappointed as well. Didn't expect to be so emotionally invested.

Green made a very nice debut, though.

Wilbur

Banned
Argentina struggled to score vs Switzerland, not sure it'll be so clear cut when they meet Belgium.

Belgium won't be anywhere near as organised as Switzerland or Iran were, but Argentina definitely need to up their game. It's as if they believe Messi can do it all by himself. Three or four times today he was crowded out and no one was around to help.

Jarnet87

USA played like total shit in the first 90 minutes. don't know why this team doesn't start playing until they go behind, I get that they thrive with that underdog mentality but there's only so far that can take you. same as last world cup too, went behind in just about every single match.

if this team played like they did after they went behind, with Belgium playing as openly as they did, who knows how it turns out. ah well. now let's get Green playing regular first team football somewhere, tie up Zelalem's passport, and the future is looking up for this team.

Belgium let them in. The US wouldn't of even been in the round of 16 had teams put the full press on them for 90 minutes. Portugal absolutely dominated them in the first 15 minutes and backed off like fools. Ghana were really the only team to truly pressure USA all game and they just feel a bit short.

fuenf

that's a very apt comparison. Next time, Apollo, next time!

I am very disappointed as well. Didn't expect to be so emotionally invested.

Green made a very nice debut, though.

With Russia 2018 coming up, they might even get the Rocky IV ending. ;)

Damn but I'm really concerned now... if I'm that wound up by a USA / Klinsmann game, Löw will probably manage to kill me soon. :(

Marc

Fuck the premier league.

This is football, people actually give a shit about their country. Don't see it as a stepping stone to bigger clubs, as a piggy bank, when you lose it means everything.

This World Cup... I don't want it to end. And I wish England could show half the amount of passion the likes of Algeria and USA showed. I just don't understand how you can not be inspired as a player when going out early watching this kind of game to make up for it. Rooney is busy in some shoddy hotel drinking his arse off getting sunburn, probably doesn't even watch football.

I have more fun when my team is kicking ass playing together and has amazing players as well.

EVERYBODY JOIN ME IN THE COLOMBIA TRAIN.
lM09MZz.gif

SI SE PUEDE

JAMES DIGAS JAMES

Croyles

So, will the US start to hate Football again or will they stick around and watch the rest of the games with us?

I'd prefer the latter.

jtb

Banned
Belgium let them in. The US wouldn't of even been in the round of 16 had teams put the full press on them for 90 minutes. Portugal absolutely dominated them in the first 15 minutes and backed off like fools. Ghana were really the only team to truly pressure USA all game and they just feel a bit short.

teams rarely press in international football, requires too much organization to be able to pull it off successfully without the regular drilling club football allows. (Look at Spain: Pep's Barcelona pressed, VDB's Spain doesn't) Belgium's midfield was open and sloppy in the first 90 minutes also, USA just didn't commit players forward. There's caution, but at the end of the day, if you're not planning on scoring... well, playing for penalties is a dangerous game.

Wilbur

Banned
So, will the US start to hate Football again or will they stick around and watch the rest of the games with us?

I'd prefer the latter.

The USA don't really have much else to cheer their nation on in, do they? Out of the other sports I can think of - basketball, American football, baseball - , the majority don't play them and I don't think they do world cups (?). And they don't play cricket and rugby I think.

It's only really the Olympics where they all get to cheer on their country against the rest of the world.

Gambit

With Russia 2018 coming up, they might even get the Rocky IV ending. ;)

Damn but I'm really concerned now... if I'm that wound up by a USA / Klinsmann game, Löw will probably manage to kill me soon. :(

But who will be their Ivan Drago? The Russian team didn't star anyone like that.

Löw is gonna be the end of us all. And the more games prove him wrong, the more he doubles down.

When I saw Switzerland's organisation today, I wished we had Hitzfeld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom