• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Useless guessing what formation United will play. We're not even sure of the players who'll be regular starters.

Right now the only cast iron 100% certain to start lads are De Gea, RvP and Rooney. Probably Mata too.

Herrera and Shaw can be added to that list me thinks.

LegoArmo

Evans gets blamed for so much shit that isn't his fault because he actually spots danger and is usually the last defender back trying to deal with it on his own because Evra is on the left wing and Vidic dived in and got skipped past.

Lightning

Banned
If Sanchez has agreed terms with us then it's a matter of time before we meet Barca's fee. Just like we did for Ozil and Madrid's high fee.

Useless guessing what formation United will play. We're not even sure of the players who'll be regular starters.

Right now the only cast iron 100% certain to start lads are De Gea, RvP and Rooney. Probably Mata too.
Not at all sure Rooney and Mata are guaranteed to be regular starters.

Funny how much flak Koscielny and Mertesacker get from the Man Utd and Liverpool fans on here sometimes, when that partnership is far better than any combination we've put out in the last year :p

Funny how much flak Koscielny and Mertesacker get from the Man Utd and Liverpool fans on here sometimes, when that partnership is far better than any combination we've put out in the last year :p
Only because it gets bigged up as some kind of great partnership - which got torn apart at least 5 times?

Better than what they used to have though, fair enough.

Do you think you will get Lovren or go for someone else? Are you just looking for someone to partner Sakho with the Suarez money? Agger or Skrtel to go?

K1LLER7

Evans is underrated and is pretty good on the ball and a passer at CB. I think we need one dominating CB to go alongside him though. Jones or Smallings don't seem to be the answer. We need a Vidic replacement :(

Evans gets blamed for so much shit that isn't his fault because he actually spots danger and is usually the last defender back trying to deal with it on his own because Evra is on the left wing and Vidic dived in and got skipped past.

I thought you said Evra first and was just about to lose it.

lol

My bad. Salah is fine, when he is properly settled he will be good for us I think - which will hopefully be this season.

Moses and Marin are going so I wouldn't worry about that. There was talk earlier in the season that Sevilla wanted to keep Marin and we were trying to do a deal that included Moreno but I guess thats not happening now.

Why don't you want Kroos?

Salah will be the exact same story as Marin and Moses, only more expensive. Have yet to see anything from hos justifying a place on the team. Doesn't have the brain or pure skills for the level.

And kroos? Chelsea already got players of more quality in the role he would fill here, several players actually. A waste of money.

Clegg

Not at all sure Rooney and Mata are guaranteed to be regular starters.
I don't think we have enough quality to afford to leave either out. Both can play in a midfield three as the most advanced midfielder, or as the player in the middle in a 4-2-3-1.

Our CBs aren't too great, but that's been massively exacerbated by the fucking appalling coverage of:

1. our 'central midfielders', if they can even be called that; and
2. Patrice Evra.

omgkitty

Neymar broke a vertebrae in his back? OOF I guess disregard my comments from earlier :\

So wait...what if Barcelona decide to keep Sanchez since Neymar's gonna be out a while? :(

jtb

Banned
Neymar broke a vertebrae in his back? OOF I guess disregard my comments from earlier :\

So wait...what if Barcelona decide to keep Sanchez since Neymar's gonna be out a while? :(

if they think he's surplus, then they need to offload him ASAP because of the transfer ban... might not get another chance, certainly won't get another chance to spend the money from the sale for a while.

Lightning

Banned
Vermaelen is a strange pursuit for United. 28 now so not young anymore, been injury prone, inconsistent performances and he doesn't read the game or react to danger very well. He's only any good if we're controlling the game but as soon as we get put on the back foot he's wank and never where he's supposed to be.

I don't think we have enough quality to afford to leave either out. Both can play in a midfield three as the most advanced midfielder, or as the player in the middle in a 4-2-3-1.
Got no doubt they'll both clock a lot of play time but I think they're two player who will have a lot to prove. Don't think they're going to be given defined roles and responsibilities early doors whatsoever.

Our CBs aren't too great, but that's been massively exacerbated by the fucking appalling coverage of:

1. our 'central midfielders', if they can even be called that; and
2. Patrice Evra.
Ha that is true.

God Evra really had been such a joke. Even today there were moments where he just literally stared at danger and allowed it to unravel itself. Shaw is going to take his spot very very quickly.

Yen

Do you think you will get Lovren or go for someone else? Are you just looking for someone to partner Sakho with the Suarez money? Agger or Skrtel to go?

I think we'll sign Lovren, for the full £20m. I presume the signing is based on his leadership and organisational qualities, but more importantly, Rodgers identified personal mistakes as being a major problem that needed to be eradicated from our defence - Skrtel takes regular head staggers, and Agger is useless against physical strikers. Lovren'll partner Sakho. As for Agger and Skrtel, I'd like to hope they stay on for they are the most experienced players in the squad, bar Gerrard, and have CL experience. But, if someone comes in with £10m+ offers, they might go.

jtb

Banned
Vermaelen really excels in a tactical system where he plays a key role sitting on the fucking bench. let the record show I've always believed he was an overrated cunt-ish defensive liability.

Clegg

Neymar broke a vertebrae in his back? OOF I guess disregard my comments from earlier :

They're signing Suarez.

They'll survive without Neymar and Sanchez.

Always been a bit surprised by the Lovren plaudits. Southampton strike me as a team that defends well when the whole team is pressing from the front onwards. As such, I rarely noticed their CBs performing especially well.

Only because it gets bigged up as some kind of great partnership - which got torn apart at least 5 times?

Better than what they used to have though, fair enough.

Which 5+ were they? Koscielny went off injured early v City and didn't feature at Everton. Of course Liverpool and Chelsea were really bad. Chelsea moreso (for letting Schurrle run 40 yards), though the midfield "protection" in both games was comical.

I think we'll sign Lovren, for the full £20m. I presume the signing is based on his leadership and organisational qualities, but more importantly, Rodgers identified personal mistakes as being a major problem that needed to be eradicated from our defence - Skrtel takes regular head staggers, and Agger is useless against physical strikers. He'll partner Sakho. As for Agger and Skrtel, I'd like to hope they stay on for they are the most experienced players in the squad, bar Gerrard, and have CL experience.

Fair enough, seems like a good idea getting a good replacement but keeping the experience players. A big squad will be a necessity too otherwise things could unravel quickly. Is Johnson getting replaced or still going to be at right back? Perhaps Harry could tempted to join him at QPR

Seriously that transfer ban is not going to stand. Not a chance.

In this Window? Yeah not a chance, considering they can just appeal to CAS (or already have) . Don't find it completely unrealistic they might get a banned transfer in January or something though, but they will have fixed all their holes in their squad by then.

omgkitty

if they think he's surplus, then they need to offload him ASAP because of the transfer ban... might not get another chance, certainly won't get another chance to spend the money from the sale for a while.

Ah nevermind. He's only out for a month or so.

Arnie

Always been a bit surprised by the Lovren plaudits. Southampton strike me as a team that defends well when the whole team is pressing from the front onwards. As such, I rarely noticed their CBs performing especially well.

Same.

Don't have a fucking clue about him.

Just trusting Brendan and the recruitment #lads on this one.

I think we'll end up 'overpaying' for Lovren, but he'll prove to be worth it over the period of his contract. We wouldn't need him to be world class, just good, consistent, and with us for a few years. Similar to Henderson kind of, though he'd be expected to be the finished article from day 1.

PL-experienced, good all-round centrebacks are pretty thin on the ground, especially ones with their best years ahead of them who don't play for teams who would never sell to us.

I imagine Rodgers still has question marks over Sakho, question marks which could well see both Skrtel and Agger stay. I expect Skrtel will stay regardless, but Agger may go if we receive a good offer and Rodgers has an idea of who to replace him with. Don't imagine Rodgers wants to see Toure play for us again, or has any interest in seeing if Coates has anything about him other than size.

Lovren, Sakho, Skrtel Agger

That ain't great, but it's better than it was last year. Especially if we assume that Sakho won't be ruled out for half the season by injury. From my understanding, all of them but Skrtel play on the left side of centreback, which could well be problematic. Wouldn't be against keeping Wisdom around, partly for that reason, and partly as cover for Flanagan if Johnson carries on his downward trajectory

Leftback is easily he biggest worry though since I'm sure we'll have what I'd deem an acceptable new centreback by mid-August. Leftback though? Yeesh, the reports are not comforting.

Would love it if we could find a Chiriches-type from an unfancied league. Was very impressed by him when he actually managed to play, and he cost little compared to the prices you pay within the PL

jtb

Banned

they shipped quite a few goals last season too. considering they could lose three key pieces in that defense (Shaw, Lovren, Schneiderlin), makes you wonder just how good they are individually if, even collectively, they weren't a totally solid unit.

In this Window? Yeah not a chance, considering they can just appeal to CAS (or already have) . Don't find it completely unrealistic they might get a banned transfer in January or something though, but they will have fixed all their holes in their squad by then.
The 2 years I mean. This summer they're fine, at worst it'll be January and next Summer - but I bet it's not even that.

Yen

Fair enough, seems like a good idea getting a good replacement but keeping the experience players. A big squad will be a necessity too otherwise things could unravel quickly. Is Johnson getting replaced or still going to be at right back? Perhaps Harry could tempted to join him at QPR
We won't sign a RB, I'm sure. LB is more important, and Fabio Aurelio has been our only good one in the past 20/30 years and he was a crock. RedCafu is undoubtedly better than Johnson, so it'll be interesting if he dislodges him.

@Hitch, just on CB talk, Ilori is still on loan until Jan. If he develops, he'd be perfect for our side.

K1LLER7

Mike Keegan
"Told United want 2 more. Vermaelen on the radar + unnamed centre mid. New man happy with attacking options. That's all #mufc"

Vidal/Carvalho/Pogba/Khedira

Khedira was brilliant today. Underrated.

Jarnet87

If van Gaal has any sense he'll do one of three things with Welbeck

a) get rid of him
b) play him solely as a striker
c) turn him into a box to box midfielder.

I vote for A, then C.

Leftback is easily he biggest worry though since I'm sure we'll have what I'd deem an acceptable new centreback by mid-August. Leftback though? Yeesh, the reports are not comforting. Would love it if we could find a Chiriches-type from an unfancied league. Was very impressed by him when he actually managed to play.

For left back Chelsea were linked with Iasmin Latovlevici of Steaua, 28 and last year of contract but might be worth a shot perhaps?

Cant say I've ever seen him play, but as an option to players in the same position he could be useful until a more long term solution can be found

We won't sign a RB, I'm sure. LB is more important, and Fabio Aurelio has been our only good one in the past 20/30 years and he was a crock. RedCafu is undoubtedly better than Johnson, so it'll be interesting if he dislodges him.

@Hitch, just on CB talk, Ilori is still on loan until Jan. If he develops, he'd be perfect for our side.

Forgot all about Ilori

Only managed to catch him when they played against Barca, and he was fucking magnificent, along with their rightback

Heard that he's prone to the odd lapse in concentration, or naive positional error, but he has quite ludicrous pace which gets him out of trouble against teams who aren't savvy enough to exploit said mistakes

Would rather keep him for preseason, get a good look at him, and send him on loan again if we decide it's best.

omgkitty

When we eventually sell Vermaelen we'll need another centre back. That's annoying, we're not linked with any.

The worst part is we already need a CB. We went all last season with 3. I'm not sure why people haven't noticed this. We were EXTREMELY LUCKY last season to get by. Unless Wenger sees Miquel as a real option next season, which I highly doubt, I find it absolutely mind boggling. I also find it very concerning that Arsene has been extremely dodgy with buying CB's. Fact of the matter is, they're all over the place. We could end up with another Koscielny or a Squillaci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom