• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.
For left back Chelsea were linked with Iasmin Latovlevici of Steaua, 28 and last year of contract but might be worth a shot perhaps?

Cant say I've ever seen him play, but as an option to players in the same position he could be useful until a more long term solution can be found

It's been too long since we had a player whose name is difficult to pronounce

BUYBUYBUY

jtb

Banned
The worst part is we already need a CB. We went all last season with 3. I'm not sure why people haven't noticed this. We were EXTREMELY LUCKY last season to get by. Unless Wenger sees Miquel as a real option next season, which I highly doubt, I find it absolutely mind boggling. I also find it very concerning that Arsene has been extremely dodgy with buying CB's. Fact of the matter is, they're all over the place. We could end up with another Koscielny or a Squillaci.

Sagna was our 4th CB. so now we need 2.

Mike Keegan
"Told United want 2 more. Vermaelen on the radar + unnamed centre mid. New man happy with attacking options. That's all #mufc"

Vidal/Carvalho/Pogba/Khedira

Khedira was brilliant today. Underrated.
Noticed Keegan is with the bbc now.

Fwiw, fairly sure the 4 players (2 CMs, CB, LB) are the positions identified before LvG takes stock of the squad. When he sees what he's working with I'm pretty sure he'll ask for a couple more.

omgkitty

Arsenal need 2 centrebacks whether Vermaelen stays or goes, because he isn't good enough. Unless you relegate him to 4th choice.

He's the fucking captain, which kills me. Mertesacker is our real captain.

soccer-barclays-premier-league-manchester-city-v-arsenal-etihad-stadium-16-310x415.jpg

Meier

Sounds more and more like Negredo will go to Atletico. Guess we'll see. If he leaves for a profit, it'd be a great piece of business. I think we probably only need 3 out and out strikers as regulars because we can play very well with just 1 most of the time.

Still really interested in seeing who we get rid of.

Anderson
Cleverley
Hernandez
Nani
Young (?)
Bebe
Zaha
Fellaini (?)
Kagawa (?)

Young is depending on whether there's a buyer, Fellaini on whether Gaal wants to give him a chance, and Kagawa on whether he decides to give up and admit he'd be better off elsewhere

jtb

Banned
Sounds more and more like Negredo will go to Atletico. Guess we'll see. If he leaves for a profit, it'd be a great piece of business. I think we probably only need 3 out and out strikers as regulars because we can play very well with just 1 most of the time.

already? always weird when players leave after just a season, especially if they haven't been total busts. can you just sell Dzeko to us please?

Anderson
Cleverley
Hernandez
Nani
Young (?)
Bebe
Zaha
Fellaini (?)
Kagawa (?)

Young is depending on whether there's a buyer, Fellaini on whether Gaal wants to give him a chance, and Kagawa on whether he decides to give up and admit he'd be better off elsewhere

I still want to keep Nani. I have a sickness.

Lightning

Banned
The worst part is we already need a CB. We went all last season with 3. I'm not sure why people haven't noticed this. We were EXTREMELY LUCKY last season to get by. Unless Wenger sees Miquel as a real option next season, which I highly doubt, I find it absolutely mind boggling. I also find it very concerning that Arsene has been extremely dodgy with buying CB's. Fact of the matter is, they're all over the place. We could end up with another Koscielny or a Squillaci.
The biggest problem with Wenger's cb signings is they all take time to bed in even if they are good. Koscielny and Mertesacker were not that good in their first season so the odds of getting a reliable cb in who we can depend on a very slim. Basically we'll be a Kos or Merte injury away from crying next season.

omgkitty

The biggest problem with Wenger's cb signings is they all take time to bed in even if they are good. Koscielny and Mertesacker were not that good in their first season so the odds of getting a reliable cb in who we can depend on a very slim. Basically we'll be a Kos or Merte injury away from crying next season.

We should just buy Hummels.

jtb

Banned
Buying a CB who is both good and willing to be 3rd/4th choice is very tricky.

We shouldn't even be looking for 3rd/4th choice CBs in the first place. we should be buying players capable of being 1st choice and tell them "compete for a place."

omgkitty

Buying a CB who is both good and willing to be 3rd/4th choice is very tricky.

Yep and the Mertescielny partnership is so good, it'd be very hard to break that up. I think we should buy someone like Schar from Basel, who's still young and would need to get used to the PL but has CL experience.

Anderson
Cleverley
Hernandez
Nani
Young (?)
Bebe
Zaha
Fellaini (?)
Kagawa (?)

I think we keep Zaha.
I think we should keep Hernandez.

Fellani back to Everton for a loss.

omgkitty

samuelJayC: Arsène Wenger called Alexis Sánchez on the phone to convince him to join Arsenal, reports Chilean @pdhernandezf. #AFC http://t.co/wwwoydMUaw

Dem Arsene phone calls. Wish Arsene would just call me up and be like "go out and stop being a lazy piece of shit" and then I would just do it because fucking Arsene Wenger told me to.

Meier

already? always weird when players leave after just a season, especially if they haven't been total busts. can you just sell Dzeko to us please?
Supposedly he has asked for the transfer to go through. A shame about that shoulder injury vs West Ham. He was just about unplayable before that happened. We definitely won't let him go before Dzeko re-ups, that's for sure.

EmiPrime

M8 Chris Smalling would only cost you like £15 million.

Bargain.

We shouldn't even be looking for 3rd/4th choice CBs in the first place. we should be buying players capable of being 1st choice and tell them "compete for a place."

Not going to happen. The Koscielny Mertesacker partnership will be first choice for the foreseeable future.

Yep and the Mertescielny partnership is so good, it'd be very hard to break that up. I think we should buy someone like Schar from Basel, who's still young and would need to get used to the PL but has CL experience.

That wouldn't be bad. I will get some stick for this but I liked Djourou (unfairly maligned because of his stint at right back).

jtb

Banned
Marco Van Ginkel will play less than 10 league games next season and the majority of those appearances will be sub appearances.

scently

Still really interested in seeing who we get rid of.

It will be interesting to see how the club goes about this. I don't think we will let go too many players yet. Apart from Shaw, Herrera, and the supposed two other players we are getting, we still need some players to fill out the squad. We might still have to deal with injuries and bedding in the new players. Truth be told, this will be a gradual process, one that will play out over the course of several transfer windows.

With that said, I think we should get rid of Cleverley and Young right now.

Not going to happen. The Koscielny Mertesacker partnership will be first choice for the foreseeable future.

That wouldn't be bad. I will get some stick for this but I liked Djourou (unfairly maligned because of his stint at right back).

Arsenal need to keep their players fit. Why aren't there any changes to the medical team?

Hixx

Went into the strongest wrestler thread

there's a video called "KANE STRENGTH APPRECIATION" or something, and the music is the shins.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

We'll file that one under 'Mourinho's youth development policy'

His youth policy might have gone better if hadnt got a cruciate ligament injury. Having seen what happened with Essien's stop starts after his 3 injuries I think sending him out makes a lot of sense.

Really hoping we see a few players given a chance but given that Kalas was shifted off to Germany on loan and other players around the team will probably just be loaned. Disappointing as its clear there are some talented lads coming through at the very least I hope they're loaned to premier league teams. Omerou was capable of playing for Nigeria at a world cup but is supposedly going back to Boro next season :/

jtb

Banned
Bargain.

eh, I like Kos-Mertesacker but 1) injuries happen, 2) it's nice to drop a player like Koscielny every once in a while to keep him focused. also Koscielny usually gets 2 red cards a season, so that's a good five or so matches he's usually banned a season.

His youth policy might have gone better if hadnt got a cruciate ligament injury. Having seen what happened with Essien's stop starts after his 3 injuries I think sending him out makes a lot of sense.

Really hoping we see a few players given a chance but given that Kalas was shifted off to Germany on loan and other players around the team will probably just be loaned. Disappointing as its clear there are some talented lads coming through

You have some fucking excellent talented youth players. I have a strong feeling they'll never see the light of day at your club under him.

squad rotation would help significantly

We overplay our best XI, we need to rotate a bit more. I don't think it's the fault of the medical team that Arsene tries to get 50+ games out of all of them with no winter break.

Good point. For that Arsene needs to buy players.

Although with a midfield of:
Ramsey
Ozil
Walcott
Ox
Flamini
Arteta
Cazorla
Rosicky
Diaby
Wilshere

FIT.

Rotation shouldn't be a problem.

Assuming Campbell comes into first team
Campbell + Giroud + Sanchez + Podolski

FIT

Rotation shouldn't be a problem.

Now defense...stick with what you got.

EmiPrime

eh, I like Kos-Mertesacker but 1) injuries happen, 2) it's nice to drop a player like Koscielny every once in a while to keep him focused. also Koscielny usually gets 2 red cards a season, so that's a good five or so matches he's usually banned a season.

He was only banned for 2 games last season. I am all for rotating players but rotating the CBs when they have such a good partnership is not an easy thing to do.

You have some fucking excellent talented youth players. I have a strong feeling they'll never see the light of day at your club under him.

Well the thing is, with Lampard and Cole gone we're going to have trouble hitting our trained in the nation criteria for both Premier League and Champions League (hence partly why I thought we would go for Shaw).

We have Fabregas, Terry, Cahill and err... Moses? I don't think i've forgotten anyone and Moses is not going to be playing for us. At some point he's going to have to put some in the team or he's going to buy English trained players because we'll have a small team otherwise.

Considering how buying players for the fringes have worked out in the past it would make more sense (and be cheaper) to give a try out to lads coming through the academy. Im not sure how the likes of Ake and Chalobah fit into his plans, I guess Chalobah will be loaned but if we need another player to partner with Matic and we have promising players coming through... use them ffs.

Buying quality players from abroad makes sense and I'm glad we're replacing players properly now but he needs to improve the mix. I think he will do it as well, but not this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom