• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Man United are really the only club in recent memory to have spent that much on one, besides Barca and Alves, I can't think of anyone else spending that much.

eh, Ashley Cole comes to mind. I have no problem spending big for a quality full back.

Wilbur

Banned
Man United are really the only club in recent memory to have spent that much on one, besides Barca and Alves, I can't think of anyone else spending that much.

That's not the point I'm making. The point is that we shouldn't be spending so much because it's a left back, a position which is just as important in the modern game as any other. With inverted wingers being all the rage now, players like Alves and Alba have been hugely important, irrespective of fees.

And Alves was 20 odd million seven-ten years ago or so, wasn't he?

Suen

Feel bad for Neymar man. Chat shite about him all you want but 22, World Cup in your home country, poster boy for the nation, semi final coming up and.....injured

Can't imagine it. Poor kid
Agreed. As much as I dislike him it's a shitty way to go out.

Miranda at Atletico has a buyout of 25m, not sure if thats £ or € but supposedly Chelsea and United are interested and a big has been received the player has asked the club to consider...

He should just come to Chelsea, as all the good Atletico players are being collected there anyway.

Courtois, Costa, Luis and Miranda. Lets go for it.

Yen

Fernando Duarte ‏@Fernando_Duarte 16m
Team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar confirms Neymar suffered a broken vertebra and is out of the World Cup.

Broken vertebrae was the worst pain I ever endured. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. Neymar could be out for quite a few months.

Coentrao was close to £30m wasn't he.

If we sign Vermaelen I assume LvG wants to play him as part of a back 3. Probably sees him helping to build play from the back and generally to offer support to the other defenders as they dive in.

Done a decent job of making Holland solid at the back by ensuring the defenders don't get isolated.

Clegg

Still think we need a winger in addition. If not Gahl better work some serious magic with out current ones cus they've been fucking shite for 2 seasons straight.
We def need a winger but there's only so much you can in one summer. Sort out midfield and we can hopefully build a strong base which can be added to next summer. And as much as I dislike our current options on the wing they haven't been helped by a midfield that's incapable of giving then any forward passes to run on to. Some of our problems could be solved if we just played with a bit more pace. Get them running at defences which haven't set themselves and we could see a bit of improvement.

Suen

I don't get the Kroos to Madrid transfer. where does Kroos play? at the base of a midfield 3? Isco to the wing? dropped? confused.

edit: also Debuchy is fucking garbage, if we're pissing away 10m on him, we could easily have just handed Sagna a new megacontract
I was discussing this a bit two days ago here and yeah it doesn't make any sense. Plug said he might replace Alonso but that makes even less sense than buying him for me....

FootballFan

So the final looks to be

Germany vs Netherlands/Argentina/Belgium

Germany got this imo.

Mia San Mia.

Fuck Jaaaa.

But you never know, because ThisIsBrazil.gif

Elchele

So the final looks to be

Germany vs Netherlands/Argentina/Belgium

Germany got this imo.

Mia San Mia.

Fuck Jaaaa.

But you never know, because ThisIsBrazil.gif

Germany looks meh tho
dat International football, always lagging behind

I think Holland will win it. Robben to score the winning goal

L1NETT

Is Zaha still at the club

If Gaal has more than three brain cells he'll ave one look, tell him to fuck off, clear his locker out and that WBA just ordered a taxi for him

Scum

I was discussing this a bit two days ago here and yeah it doesn't make any sense. Plug said he might replace Alonso but that makes even less sense than buying him for me....

But defending isn't Kroos strong point. He's worse at it than Alonso.

wedward

Debuchy will be fine until Jenks or Bellerin are ready.

Of course I would prefer Coleman.

Sanchez should be done within the next week. Good signing.

Schneiderlin is worth 20. We should do it.

There's a cult developing amongst United fans who are backing the Vermaelen signing because it means Jones, Evans and Smallings still get to grow and develop whereas signing, for example Hummels, would shatter those dreams.

Jokers.

Some fans are unwilling to say goodbye to players. Some people even think Cleverley can make a turn around with LVG. I'd like to give a 2nd chance to players, but only if they have proven they can reach an elite level in the past which Cleverley has never done.

Evans has no more growing to do. He's a good 2nd or 3rd choice CB. If United want to be at their best, they need someone top class to partner with him. He's currently our best CB who's not quite dominant, but is able to defend well and distribute well from the back. I doubt Smalling or Jones reach a point in the very near future able to be well above Evan's level like Rio or Vidic were.

A top class CB signing still means Evan's spot is up for grabs for either of them. If they can't usurp Evans than who cares about their "potential"?

Suen

But defending isn't Kroos strong point. He's worse at it than Alonso.
Hope him coming to Madrid is just bs. No need for him

When is Barca bringing back the legend Dos Santos again? That goal he scored justifies his return to Barca

Suarez - Dos Santos - Pedro

HNNNNGGGG!!!

Fernando Duarte ‏@Fernando_Duarte 16m
Team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar confirms Neymar suffered a broken vertebra and is out of the World Cup.

Broken vertebrae was the worst pain I ever endured. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. Neymar could be out for quite a few months.

It looked pretty bad, could have been even worse if it had damaged the spine badly. Everyone thought he was time wasting/diving as usual at first, the ref didn't even call a foul on that play.

Fred will have to carry Brazil to the cup now.

Some fans are unwilling to say goodbye to players. Some people even think Cleverley can make a turn around with LVG. I'd like to give a 2nd chance to players, but only if they have proven they can reach an elite level in the past which Cleverley has never done.

Evans has no more growing to do. He's a good 2nd or 3rd choice CB. If United want to be at their best, they need someone top class to partner with him. He's currently our best CB who's not quite dominant, but is able to defend well and distribute well from the back. I doubt Smalling or Jones reach a point in the very near future able to be well above Evan's level like Rio or Vidic were.

A top class CB signing still means Evan's spot is up for grabs for either of them. If they can't usurp Evans than who cares about their "potential"?

Well put.

Ricardo Rodriguez (Benfica?) and Alberto Moreno I think were linked

Wolfsburg m8. Yeah Rodriguez looked great at the world cup, have barely ever seen Alberto Moreno. But I'm all for it, if Luis is too expensive.

I just don't want fucking Kroos.

or yet another terrible winger, Moses, Marin, Salah style.

Clegg

This is most certainly true. There are some people arguing for Anderson to be kept on because he may finally come good under LvG. He's been here 7 bloody seasons and his only half decent one was his first at the club.

This is most certainly true. There are some people arguing for Anderson to be kept on because he may finally come good under LvG. He's been here 7 bloody seasons and his only half decent one was his first at the club.

We haven't shipped Anderson off yet?

Would anybody even buy him now?

Welbeck is only threatening from the 9 spot as he proved there last season. Still not good enough to be a starter, but good enough to be 2nd if he improves more.

He's also useful on the wing if there is a job to do in big games. The only reason why there was a job to do in the past two seasons is because our midfield and lb was so shit that they needed someone like him to help transition from defense to attack and vice versa. With Herrera, and another midfielder, there will no longer be a need for him to do a job on the wing unless we come up against a midfield like Bayern or Barca back at their best. He's not threatening at all from the wing. Provides no goal threat from there, nor a passing threat.

bud

Vermaelen is left footed and has good ball control and passing. You guys really can't see it?

elsk, please stop. you clearly haven't seen him at arsenal or ajax for that matter.

he's a defensive liability, and his passing is nothing special.

Welbeck is only threatening from the 9 spot as he proved there last season. Still not good enough to be a starter, but good enough to be 2nd if he improves more.

He's also useful on the wing if there is a job to do in big games. The only reason why there was a job to do in the past two seasons is because our midfield and lb was so shit that they needed someone like him to help transition from defense to attack and vice versa. With Herrera, and another midfielder, there will no longer be a need for him to do a job on the wing unless we come up against a midfield like Bayern or Barca back at their best. He's not threatening at all from the wing. Provides no goal threat from there, nor a passing threat.

Assuming we mostly line up 4-3-3 yea, Welbeck not needed.

If we go 4-4-2?

L1NETT

Signing of the summer is Moses Odubajo to Brentford anyway.Or Watford getting Vydra back on loan. Or us signing Billy Clarke.

Worst signing is everything Burnley have done. What are they doing

I think Fiorentina were going to buy him if he had a decent loan spell there.

He didn't.

How has he managed to pick up a paycheck for seven years

Crazy times these Clegg

Elchele

elsk, please stop. you clearly haven't seen him at arsenal or ajax for that matter.

he's a defensive liability, and his passing is nothing special.

LvG played DvB-Demichelis, DvB-Tymo, DvB-Badstuber

he doesn't care about defending m8. CBs is were the passing starts, he just wants someone to pass the ball, and one of them has to be left footed. Badstuber would be in 4th division still if he was right footed

he doesn't care about defending m8. CBs is were the passing starts, he just wants someone to pass the ball, and one of them has to be left footed. Badstuber would be in 4th division still if he was right footed

I think unlike Moyes he is going for someone we can get instead of spending all summer for someone who we can't like Hummels

bud

i just said that his passing is nothing special--he's not a "good" passer, he's just... okay. but then again, he's better than whatever crap united have in that position, so i suppose he'd still be a step forward in that respect.

scently

The LVG that coached Bayern and the current one are different in their tactics I think.

+£75m Suarez
+£9m FSG

- £22m Moreno
- £20m Markovic
- £20m Shaqiri
- £22m Lovren

It's not Sanchez though :(

Haven't got a clue how much Origi will cost, who we're selling for what, or whether we actually intend to go into next season with Sturridge and Lambert as our only strikers, since I can't see Borini or Aspas staying

Yep good points.

I'm not massively troubled by Vermaelen potentially joining though. It's a boring as he'll transfer but I can see some value in it purely because it gives us options where I don't think we have enough. I think Smalling will be the one who bites the dust under LvG and with the injury problems they all have I think LvG is going to want to have another CB who can play.

Really I think we needed to sign two centre halves in this window.

Either way, not expecting our defence to be very good. Still too young and unsettled and I think they will find it hardest to adjust to the new tactical schemes. But will be plenty of time on the training pitch this season just to learn new things which we've never had before so I'm hoping it can pay off in the long run.

Wolfsburg m8. Yeah Rodriguez looked great at the world cup, have barely ever seen Alberto Moreno. But I'm all for it, if Luis is too expensive.

I just don't want fucking Kroos.

or yet another terrible winger, Moses, Marin, Salah style.

My bad. Salah is fine, when he is properly settled he will be good for us I think - which will hopefully be this season.

Moses and Marin are going so I wouldn't worry about that. There was talk earlier in the season that Sevilla wanted to keep Marin and we were trying to do a deal that included Moreno but I guess thats not happening now.

Why don't you want Kroos?

Clegg

Useless guessing what formation United will play. We're not even sure of the players who'll be regular starters.

Right now the only cast iron 100% certain to start lads are De Gea, RvP and Rooney. Probably Mata too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom