• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Rosicky, Arteta, and Flamini are no longer players that can help us win games. Diaby will not play a single minute of first team football next season. even in the stacked midfield areas, we're thinner than it seems. it's one thing to have the numbers, but we need the quality too.

United GAF, what's the outlook on Michael Keane?

Rosicky, Arteta, and Flamini are no longer players that can help us win games. Diaby will not play a single minute of first team football next season. even in the stacked midfield areas, we're thinner than it seems. it's one thing to have the numbers, but we need the quality too.

I thought Flamini was pretty decent last season?

Arteta works for those low priority games, early CL, FA, etc.

jtb

Banned
the plot thickens

BrviXVtIMAA-pYn.jpg

edit: lol FML the last post. OF COURSE. THE FUCKING POPE AND HIS DIVINE POWER

50ppp? i am very disappointed yurt

omgkitty

I don't even

EmiPrime

Arteta still has a year or two left in him, Flamini started the season really well but pissed off Wenger with his sleeve cutting antics and suspensions and Rosicky is great, won't hear a bad word said against him.

United GAF, what's the outlook on Michael Keane?

Probably ready for a loan to a PL club or some games for the first team. I personally think Thorpe is better, but Keane has a more typical build for a cb and can score on set pieces. His time spent for the u21 England team has raised his stock while Thorpe's injuries have left him well behind Keane in terms of reputation.

jtb

Banned
Rosicky is a tidy, limited player. I'd keep him around just because he's fine being a squad player. but Arteta and Flamini were done before last season even began; you can't win the league with them playing key roles. you just can't.

FootballFan

Deutschland-GAF, be prepared for:

Win: You beat Brazil without Neymar and T.Silva...meh.
Lost: LOL you lost to Brazil B.

#Pray4DeutschlandFans

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
vidic-inter-presser490ai.jpg

Vidic “This project is a step forward for me,” Vidic told reporters. “English football is different, but that doesn’t mean to say that Italian football will be easier.

“I haven’t spoken directly to Thohir, but I have spoken to Ausilio and Fassone who put the project forward to me.

“They showed enthusiasm, I know that the President wants us to grow with a long-term project.

“He wants to keep Inter in a high position and I share his project.

as expected

ohbaby2gk7k.gif

50ppp? i am very disappointed yurt
for some reason, it makes reading the pages easier and more fun :lol

thanks for the bump <3

K1LLER7

Noticed Keegan is with the bbc now.

Fwiw, fairly sure the 4 players (2 CMs, CB, LB) are the positions identified before LvG takes stock of the squad. When he sees what he's working with I'm pretty sure he'll ask for a couple more.
I agree.

Attack: RVP, Rooney, Mata, Shinji, Adnan, Welbeck, Chicha, Young, Valencia, Nani, Zaha.

Think Chicha and Nani may leave and a winger may come in for them if that were to happen (Depay pls). Though I think we can wait till next summer to sort the attack out. Not sure what's happening with Zaha. Probably loaned out.

Midfield: Herrera, Carrick, Fellani, Cleverley, Fletcher, Anderson, Powell.

This is pretty average barring Herrera. Definitely need another CM to come in during the summer. Anderson will also most likely leave so I wouldn't mind if LVG was to promote somebody from the under 21s. Maybe give Perreira or Lingaard a chance in pre-season against some good opponents. Powell too but he'll probably get another loan.

Defence: De Gea, Anders, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Rafael, Shaw, Evra. (Feel like I'm missing someone lol)

Class keepers and good fullbacks. However, we still lack any cover at RB and would rather not have Jones or Smalling play there. Want somebody from the U21s to be given a look at on tour. Maybe Virmjl/Varela/Janko. CB position still lacks an experienced and solid defender. Will need to get that sorted this window and hopefully he's in the Vidic mould. Vermaelen ain't that.

Noticed Keegan is with the bbc now.

Fwiw, fairly sure the 4 players (2 CMs, CB, LB) are the positions identified before LvG takes stock of the squad. When he sees what he's working with I'm pretty sure he'll ask for a couple more.

I see a 3 year project for LVG.

Season 1: Qualify for CL
Season 2: Fight for Title, probably won't win it
Season 3: Go for the title!

We just can't attract some of the players we want such as Hummels with no CL football.

I agree.

Attack: RVP, Rooney, Mata, Shinji, Adnan, Welbeck, Chicha, Young, Valencia, Nani, Zaha.

Think Chicha and Nani may leave and a winger may come in for them if that were to happen (Depay pls). Though I think we can wait till next summer to sort the attack out. Not sure what's happening with Zaha. Probably loaned out.

Midfield: Herrera, Carrick, Fellani, Cleverley, Fletcher, Anderson, Powell.

This is pretty average barring Herrera. Definitely need another CM to come in during the summer. Anderson will also most likely leave so I wouldn't mind if LVG was to promote somebody from the under 21s. Maybe give Perreira or Lingaard a chance in pre-season against some good opponents. Powell too but he'll probably get another loan.

Defence: De Gea, Anders, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Rafael, Shaw, Evra. (Feel like I'm missing someone lol)

Class keepers and good fullbacks. However, we still lack any cover at RB and would rather not have Jones or Smalling play there. Want somebody from the U21s to be given a look at on tour. Maybe Virmjl/Varela/Janko. CB position still lacks an experienced and solid defender. Will need to get that sorted this window and hopefully he's in the Vidic mould. Vermaelen ain't that.

Ra's will probably change to a 5-3-2 formation and play Valencia as a wing back if Rafael was injured. Perhaps he would give some minutes to Vermijl.

Meier

Ferna had 91% pass accuracy, 4 tackles, won 2 aerial duels. 3rd most touches on the team. Took James out of the game most of the time. Bossed it.

K1LLER7

Ferna had 91% pass accuracy, 4 tackles, won 2 aerial duels. 3rd most touches on the team. Took James out of the game most of the time. Bossed it.
The amount of tackles/fouls he had on James, he'd be off if that was a league game.

Still a top player though. Gustavo + Ferna midfield is great defensively. Not too sure going forwards though.

Meier

And how many fouls which should have been yellow cards?

Probably 1 of them, but none were given so it's irrelevant. If the ref isn't going to pull the card, you want your defensive midfielders to beat the shit out of their best player to neutralize him. This is called smart play.

You wouldn't know it from this thread, but Marcelo had 5 fouls and Hulk and Fred also had 4.

K1LLER7

Ra's will probably change to a 5-3-2 formation and play Valencia as a wing back if Rafael was injured. Perhaps he would give some minutes to Vermijl.
I don't think he'll play 5 at the back. It works for him with Netherlands because he's got the pace of Robben on the counter. Not much pace in this United team.

Lightning

Banned
eh, I like Kos-Mertesacker but 1) injuries happen, 2) it's nice to drop a player like Koscielny every once in a while to keep him focused. also Koscielny usually gets 2 red cards a season, so that's a good five or so matches he's usually banned a season.
Wonder how many penalties Kos and Merte will give away this season. Both of them do some silly things, that penalty Merte gave away against Wigan. I almost threw something at my TV after he done that.

wedward

Arteta is good enough to beat any team outside of the top 6. Good player to have in the squad. If he starts a single game against the top 6 teams though I'll be annoyed.

Meier

YwGF76U.png

Saw this in the American soccer thread. Some pretty good head cutouts in there. Julian Green and Yedlin are great and Guzan looks like a turtle.

Barzul

Apparently Arsenal want to promote Julio Pleguezuelo to the first team as 4th choice. He's supposedly a modern day libero and we went through a lot of trouble when we 'poached' him from Barcelona. If we sell Vermalean and enter the season with Merte, Kozzer, Lovren and Pleguezuelo I think we'll be good.

K1LLER7

They ended up swapping shirts a bit after this. Alves and Marcelo also hugged and consoled him. Well played by the Brazilians.
Yeah.

They tried to get rough with him and he kept going. Nice to see they acknowledged his performance.

He's going to be a beast for Madrid next season :(

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
so barca has now 2 strikers who can not play, will Messi save them too?

Lightning

Banned
Apparently Arsenal want to promote Julio Pleguezuelo to the first team as 4th choice. He's supposedly a modern day libero and we went through a lot of trouble when we 'poached' him from Barcelona. If we sell Vermalean and enter the season with Merte, Kozzer, Lovren and Pleguezuelo I think we'll be good.
We are not signing Lovren. No way wenger is bidding over 20m for a back up centre back.

Ostinatto

as expected

ohbaby2gk7k.gif

for some reason, it makes reading the pages easier and more fun :lol

thanks for the bump <3

I know that Inter is still on transition, but i don't really understand Thohir's vision and plans for the team though, Loosen up that wallet dude!

Jarnet87

Shame Nermar got hurt. Most of us just assumed it was nothing given how every time he gets touched he writhes in agony. I bet they really regret not taking Lucas Moura now, that team had very little flair to begin with. I wonder if they'll go with Bernard to start, or possibly Willian.

Elchele

2.8 key passes per game in 2012/13. That's basically god-level CAM play.

Kroos is quality, no doubt, but in that Heynckes system in the second season you could put any half decent CAM in the hole and he would shine like gold.

He slowed down us too much as CAM, tho. In the end, his injury helped a lot to make room for Muller as SS/CAM and he was crucial in the Barcelona matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom