• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Is he good at all in defensive duties? Does he have any skills as a DM? Has he ever played as one?

When it comes to defensive duties he is definitely not as good as others. Even Ribery does more defensive work.

Kroos makes good pass and every other game he shows some good long shot attempts. Not sure how this will work with Bale and Ronaldo though. I think he has more creativity than Khedira but less than Modric. He's a good player but not a game changer.

Suen

Just check my post history man, I've been complaining about it all week.

Such stupid decision-making at the top.

Need defenders asap, better buy Suarez.
Don't worry, you will be fighting for a midtable spot with Vallecano, Levante and Espanyol while newcomers like Eibar will expose your La Liga B defense and score a few goals.

#ViscaBarca

Btw Eibar's stadium capacity is like 5k.

When it comes to defensive duties he is definitely not as good as others. Even Ribery does more defensive work.

Kroos makes good pass and every other game he shows some good long shot attempts. Not sure how this will work with Bale and Ronaldo though. I think he has more creativity than Khedira but less than Modric. He's a good player but not a game changer.
That says everything. I don't understand how this is a good signing at all, it sounds exactly like plug said about us wanting a backup (or immideate replacement) for Alonso but a player like Kroos would be the last person I'd look for in that position. Just having good pass skills doesn't cut it for me, why not get someone who's already experienced and plays in that position? Heck just get someone that looks promising instead. Here's hoping Ancelotti can turn Kroos into a good defensive player if it happens but this whole deal is as random as the Gravesen signing.

omgkitty

It has to happen. It must happen

#InWengerWeTrust

Btw what's the news on Campbell? Is Wenger going to give him any chance or is it another loan?

Supposedly he has a shot during preseason. Other than that, who knows. Honestly, if the right offer came in for him, I wouldn't be surprised if he was sold.

jtb

Banned
don't mind if we sell Campbell, his stock has risen but he's totally PL unproven and won't get many games with us. best case scenario would be a compromise imo, another loan spell but at a premier league club. don't know how many years are left on his contract though, signed three years ago so probably coming to a crossroads soon—extend + first team games or sell

Suen

Supposedly he has a shot during preseason. Other than that, who knows. Honestly, if the right offer came in for him, I wouldn't be surprised if he was sold.
That would suck. I'd like to see him play a season for us at least. If we can give tools like Sanogo time to play why can't we give a player like Campbell a chance? I understand it's a good way of getting good cash but it's always nice to see one of your own possibly develop into something special.

don't mind if we sell Campbell, his stock has risen but he's totally PL unproven and won't get many games with us. best case scenario would be a compromise imo, another loan spell but at a premier league club. don't know how many years are left on his contract though, signed three years ago so probably coming to a crossroads soon—extend + first team games or sell
Yet he's probably ten times more proven then Ligue 2 players. Let's not pretend we have a consistent policy when it comes to signing PL proven players.

omgkitty

That would suck. I'd like to see him play a season for us at least. If we can give tools like Sanogo time to play why can't we give a player like Campbell a chance? I understand it's a good way of getting good cash but it's always nice to see one of your own possibly develop into something special.

He just doesn't seem like a very Wenger-like player and I don't know how to explain that. Like it's certain Campbell has skill, but I think most of it comes down to he just works very hard on and off the ball. He made some decent passes, but never really looked like scoring much and while he played through the middle he liked to drift out wide right a lot. Very Henry-esque in that manner in how Henry would drift wide left. IDK I just don't really see how Campbell plays into our system, so if Wenger is willing to take a shot, it will be interesting to see how he tries to mold him. It definitely seems Campbell has the determination and hard work part down, which already puts him above past failures like a Denilson or Bendtner.

jtb

Banned
it's less about being better than new signings (though, if he's competing with Sanchez... I wouldn't bet on Campbell wining that battle...), and more just displacing the huge logjam of attacking midfield players we have. we've got like 10 players for those three slots behind the striker. it would be very tough for him to get games.

plus, we already have a few young players that we "have" to give games, not because they're good enough but because if we don't, their development will stall. (Wilshere, Ox... Gnabry probably)

omgkitty

it's less about being better than new signings (though, if he's competing with Sanchez... I wouldn't bet on Campbell wining that battle...), and more just displacing the huge logjam of attacking midfield players we have. we've got like 10 players for those three slots behind the striker. it would be very tough for him to get games.

plus, we already have a few young players that we "have" to give games, not because they're good enough but because if we don't, their development will stall. (Wilshere, Ox... Gnabry probably)

And I would say given he would play either up front or out on the right, up front he would certainly be behind Giroud and Sanchez or someone else if we bring them in. I'd say he's in front of Sanogo, but you never know with Wenger. Out wide right he's definitely behind Walcott, Sanchez and even Gnabry if only because I'm pretty sure Gnabry is going to end up being better.

Now, there's plenty of games to go around, and I'm sure he'd get the time somewhere, whether it be as a substitution or against lower opposition / cup games, I don't think it would be enough for him considering he's been a starter in the last few places he's played. It's just kind of a weird position as he clearly has talent and can get much better, but I don't think he's better than what we have. What's been suggested about sending him to a PL team for a season seems like the best bet to me. Or, we could just not give a fuck and keep him around for a season and pull a Madrid / Barca and just sell him to someone with some stupid low buy back clause a la the Carlos Vela deal.

Suen

a thought that popped in my head: if Cech is available this summer, we should buy him.
I would have said this before last season but I think Chesney did a good job last season that he should be given another year.

He just doesn't seem like a very Wenger-like player and I don't know how to explain that. Like it's certain Campbell has skill, but I think most of it comes down to he just works very hard on and off the ball. He made some decent passes, but never really looked like scoring much and while he played through the middle he liked to drift out wide right a lot. Very Henry-esque in that manner in how Henry would drift wide left. IDK I just don't really see how Campbell plays into our system, so if Wenger is willing to take a shot, it will be interesting to see how he tries to mold him. It definitely seems Campbell has the determination and hard work part down, which already puts him above past failures like a Denilson or Bendtner.
He's not going to replace Walcott or Sanchez if we get him and both of them are proven and play at a higher level. Why not try using him as a CF? Ship Sanogo back to France, bring Campbell in and use him when our starters are tired. True, this does not look like the best option for him if he's a starter in other teams and in that regard I agree that it makes more sense to send him to a PL team but if, by a small chance, he has a great season then surely it's better than sticking with Oliver Fucking Giroud?

jtb

Banned
I would not be surprised if Wenger experiments with Sanchez (assuming it happens, etc. etc.) playing up front. he tried the target man, traditional center forward—it was a failure. now let's play someone mobile up front. wouldn't be surprised if he does a far better job at it than Gervinho, too. we haven't been linked to any strikers but everyone knows it's still our most glaring deficiency; I think he has to be considering it.

(and if that happens, I hope Wenger buys another wide player then. gimme Griezmann please)

(and if both happen, please ship out Podolski)

omgkitty

I would not be surprised if Wenger experiments with Sanchez (assuming it happens, etc. etc.) playing up front. he tried the target man, traditional center forward—it was a failure. now let's play someone mobile up front. wouldn't be surprised if he does a far better job at it than Gervinho, too. we haven't been linked to any strikers but everyone knows it's still our most glaring deficiency; I think he has to be considering it.

(and if that happens, I hope Wenger buys another wide player then. gimme Griezmann please)

(and if both happen, please ship out Podolski)

Yeah if we buy Sanchez, and that's our "striker signing" I will be kinda disappointed. While I think Sanchez is very good and can play there, he's not a striker. I always thought we'd get him and Remy, but the Remy rumors have gone cold. It would be kinda bad if we did this and passed on Remy as he only costs 8m and he wants to play for us. I'd say he's better than nothing, and definitely better than Sanogo and Podolski when he plays up front alone.

Suen

Suen we are not going to get rid of Giroud. You will be seeing him plenty next season for Arsenal so get used to it.
We've been without a top striker for two seasons now, we're weak in that area. If we had someone that was just twice as good as Giroud he'd probably be the top scorer in the league with the crosses Sagna was putting out last season. It's getting quite ridiculous to be depending on an average striker as our starting player. If we're not going to spend any money on getting a better striker we should keep experimenting at least with the players we have.

omgkitty

We've been without a top striker for two seasons now, we're weak in that area. If we had someone that was just twice as good as Giroud he'd probably be the top scorer in the league with the crosses Sagna was putting out last season. It's getting quite ridiculous to be depending on an average striker as our starting player. If we're not going to spend any money on getting a better striker we should keep experimenting at least with the players we have.

The fact of the matter is that while Giroud is a good player and a decent striker, he's not good enough to be starting every week. When looking back and seeing players like Ian Wright, Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry, Robin van Persie, Giroud is simply not on that level. While I think Giroud has his role to play in the team, he's more of a Kanu type than an Henry.

I also think Griezmann would be perfect to fill that Pires role on the LW that we so desperately miss. Wenger even likened Griezmann to Pires.

Suen

The fact of the matter is that while Giroud is a good player and a decent striker, he's not good enough to be starting every week. When looking back and seeing players like Ian Wright, Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry, Robin van Persie, Giroud is simply not on that level. While I think Giroud has his role to play in the team, he's more of a Kanu type than an Henry.

I also think Griezmann would be perfect to fill that Pires role on the LW that we so desperately miss. Wenger even likened Griezmann to Pires.
Griezmann would be a great signing. I really hopes it happens but I won't be surprised if nothing happens at all or if PSG gets him before we do.

omgkitty

Griezmann would be a great signing. I really hopes it happens but I won't be surprised if nothing happens at all or if PSG gets him before we do.

I hope not, especially since we know Wenger definitely likes him. Unfortunately, this Sanchez deal may take precedence.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Tim Krul says he didn't know which was the pens would go - him and Hoek had agreed that he would dive whichever way they went and hope to save it.

LvG hadn't told Cillesen about the plan, didn't want to demotivate him before the game.
I saw him look at an iPad before the shootouts

He studied their pens against Greece

Krul just wants to be superman for a week innit

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
In order of who I want to win the World Cup

1. Messi
2. LVG and RVP
3. Neymar
4. Low

I have no preference, but as far as Italy is concerned:

1-Oranje (zero World Cups)
-
-
-
2-Argentina (two cups)
3-Germania (three..)
4-Brazil (FIVE)

I like all four, some more than others so it's fine anyway. And with the exception of Argentina, the other three are barely World Cup worthy squads :lol

u my favorite poster on gaf, u and ff, yutr, viva, woodn, clegg, karma, hitche98, bud, footgaf and f1bros <3. oimee u rat jk

fuck pulga [spoiler[ i kid ;D

vicza barca, messi 4 wc
LOOOOL omg Sunhi this is SO out of character :lol like the time when I forced Fady to say cunt :lol
So, Vidal to ManU and Sanchez to Arsenal?
Yes to both.

Suen

Sunhi rejecting Plug was the funniest part. What purpose does plug's serve here anymore after Sunhi's rejection? Moyes, La Decima and Plug disintegrating into particles. The world is changing.

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal fans expect too much.

Sanchez
Khedira
Debuchy (Don't really like this transfer but oh well)
And a replacement cb for wantaway Vermaelen and decent window.

If Campbell is sold, bring in Remy.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Sunhi rejecting Plug was the funniest part. What purpose does plug's serve here anymore after Sunhi's rejection? Moyes, La Decima and Plug disintegrating into particles. The world is changing.

Suen what's the story behind that Parma site :lol

we HAVE to know! Are you guys really in our pocket after all?

Inter asked informations about De Jong. Milan gently slammed the door in their faces.

I don't even know what they thought would've happened.

Suen

Suen what's the story behind that Parma site :lol

we HAVE to know! Are you guys really in our pocket after all?
My best guess is that, with Ghirardi wanting to sell the club, Agnelli decided to buy it and turn Parma into Juventus B. The reason for this is from Agnelli's undying love for Giovinco; the only way for him to be included in the XI and get plenty of playing time is in Juve's second Serie A team.

But seriously I have no idea hahaha. Makes the state of the club, the summer mercato and the EL fiasco even more depressingfunny

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
fuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkkk don't steal our transfer!

we only steal players on a Bosman I'm afraid :((

My best guess is that, with Ghirardi wanting to sell the club, Agnelli decided to buy it and turn Parma into Juventus B. The reason for this is from Agnelli's undying love for Giovinco; the only way for him to be included in the XI and get plenty of playing time is in Juve's second Serie A team.

But seriously I have no idea hahaha. Makes the state of the club, the summer mercato and the EL fiasco even more depressingfunny

your IT guy is probably a Juventino. So just fire him either way.

Suen

we only steal players on a Bosman I'm afraid :((

you're IT guy is probably a Juventino. So just fire him either way.
Ghirardi probably IS our IT guy. It's a part of his advertisement campaign. The poor man just wants your attention.

Textbook pk imo

iTlHDmrwOAZNS.gif

I want Kuyt at United.

Wingback, Winger, Striker. What more can a man want.

Haha, what happened? I don't actually follow them or any other slovenian club.

In 2004 we won 2-1 against them, in Slovenia for Champions League qualifiers. All good, we expected to do the rest of the job at home. Then they managed to fucking destroy Copenhagen 5-0. The Copenhagen crowd was at the time of 4-0 cheering for Gorica and ironically applauded every touch they got and goal they scored, while demanding their money back.

On Copenhagen forums and such people still quite often mention Gorica quite often whenever something bad is going on, it has become a synonym with a bad match.

Zabojnik

In 2004 we won 2-1 against them, in Slovenia for Champions League qualifiers. All good, we expected to do the rest of the job at home. Then they managed to fucking destroy Copenhagen 5-0. The Copenhagen crowd was at the time of 4-0 cheering for Gorica and ironically applauded every touch they got and goal they scored, while demanding their money back.

On Copenhagen forums and such people still quite often mention Gorica quite often whenever something bad is going on, it has become a synonym with a bad match.

LOOOOOOOL. Damn, I think I remember that, was quite a sensation at the time, although soon forgotten, since I don't think Gorica made it all the way through the qualifiers back then. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it. NK Maribor was the only slovenian club that ever played in CL, I think.

Zabojnik

LOOOOOOOL. Damn, I think I remember that, was quite the sensation at the time, although soon forgotten, since I don't think Gorica made it all the way through the qualifiers back then. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it. NK Maribor is the only slovenian club that ever played in CL, I think.

LOOOOOOOL. Damn, I think I remember that, was quite a sensation at the time, although soon forgotten, since I don't think Gorica made it all the way through the qualifiers back then. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it. NK Maribor was the only slovenian club that ever played in CL, I think.

Yeah they played Monaco afterwards who went all the way to the finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom