• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
wall-e went to shit too quickly for me to feel any particular emotional reaction, same with up (but how great are those first act/10 minutes/etc).

but I love that scene in Ratatouille when Ego (with fucking Peter O'Toole's great voice work!) remembers his childhood

I dunno if you're being sarcastic, but I really hope not because TS3 is no good

Oh yeah I love that scene :lol. Ratatouille might be my favourite Pixar movie, I love it.

Not that fond of Up either outside the first sequence. It's fun enough, but nothing special. Wall-E has a far poorer second half than the first (after the space dance) but the end redeems it.

Pennywise

I've been meaning to watch that for a while. Some Korean films are awesome.

Mostly ones with Song Kang-ho

They've got some really awesome movies, that leave the boundaries of hollywood.
The camera work is top notch and they've got some of the best stills out there, especially Chan-wook Park.
His Hollywood debut with Stoker was pretty good as well.

Oldboy.
Lady Vengeance.
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.
aka The Vengeance Trilogy

Thirst (one of the really few good vampire movies, without the stereotype bullshit and a proper take on the whole topic).

I saw the Devil (pretty intense)

New World (influences from the Godfather and some other movies)

These are some of my favorite Korean movies, there are a few more I'll watch soon though, so the list might get bigger.

Wilbur

Banned
I absolutely loved Thirst. The Host was fun too.

TASM2 had me a bit emotional at the end :lol I'm a fucken softy the older I get

I dunno if you're being sarcastic, but I really hope not because I don't like TS3

only half. I didn't like the movie, and don't really get why so many people teared up. it was a big part of my childhood too, but the movie was just dull and pandering in all the bad ways (I thought). Only really sarcastic about the second sentence.

Not that fond of Up either outside the first sequence. It's fun enough, but nothing special. Wall-E has a far poorer second half than the first (after the space dance) but the end redeems it.
Up went so downhill after that fantastic opening sequence.

Paris, Texas had me close to tears.

That movie is so fucking good. Christ.
Another good'n. Another fantastic movie set in a similar theme 'The Last Picture Show'. Though I'm certain most people've heard of it. Great novel by McMurtry. Give it a read....then read Texasville. Then maybe checkout Lonesome Dove.

Oldboy was good, dat one-shot hallway fight scene. Didn't like some parts of it tho.

Stoker was beautiful in a strange way :lol good fun.

And Thirst, need to rewatch, but remember thinking it was brilliant at the time.

Pennywise

Oldboy was good, dat one-shot hallway fight scene. Didn't like some parts of it tho.

Stoker was beautiful in a strange way :lol good fun.

And Thirst, need to rewatch, but remember thinking it was brilliant at the time.

Give I saw the Devil a try, it's from the director from "The Good, the Bad, the Weird".
It's certainly different and a serious movie, he's my second favorite korean director, even though his US debut with The Last Stand was rather shitty.

And fuck me, Killer is right.
A Bittersweet Life is also pretty great.

It's to dark to see every damn Blu-Ray title from here.

jtb

Banned
anyone here read Ishiguro's the Unconsoled? remember there were a few Ishiguro fans in here. I love just about all of his other books, bar When We Were Orphans, figured I'd finally give this one a shot. slogged through the first two hundred pages, it's fucking weird, aggressively surreal... surprisingly hilarious book though. enjoying it so far.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, first 10 mins of UP DESTROYED me :'(

That's the only great part of the movie, tho, after that it's just downhill.
I watched Adventureland the other day for some reason, about halfway I just had to turn it off, it was that boring.

Elchele

That's the only great part of the movie, tho, after that it's just downhill.
I watched Adventureland the other day for some reason, about halfway I just had to turn it off, it was that boring.

I liked Adventureland. I guess it depends on your mood when watching it.
I only remember crying during a movie and it was a pretty shit one, but that scene near the end was pretty strong for me at the moment. It was 'About Schmidt' (2002)
when he gets the card and drawing from his sponsored kid

Suen

Pretty late with this but RIP Di Stefano :(

Forever a Madrid legend, even for us who weren't born at that time :(

Hala Madrid

Give I saw the Devil a try, it's from the director from "The Good, the Bad, the Weird".
It's certainly different and a serious movie, he's my second favorite korean director, even though his US debut with The Last Stand was rather shitty.

And fuck me, Killer is right.
A Bittersweet Life is also pretty great.

It's to dark to see every damn Blu-Ray title from here.
I have 'I saw the devil' on my watch list, heard good things, cheers m8. And I have the good the bad and the weird too on there lol. Last stand was decent IMO.

Wall-E makes me want to cry. It's the most romantic film ever made. I'm being serious, when he's walking her around and holding the umbrella over her head and La Vie En Rose is playing in the background, I'm in fucking love with it.

And then the ending is so sad as well where he's all crushed and EVE is about to give up it's so sad it makes me want to crawl back into my mum and just stay there forever

Wall-E is one of my favourite films ever, the ending makes me wish falling in love could be as simple as holding hands in a post-apocalyptic earth.

Pennywise

I have 'I saw the devil' on my watch list, heard good things, cheers m8. And I have the good the bad and the weird too on there lol. Last stand was decent IMO.

Yeah, I loved the role of Schwarzenegger and he played it well.
Johnny Knoxville was shit and he nearly destroyed the movie for me :<

Just watched The Wind Rises. I give it a 8/10. Love the sound effects, art, and Jiro being engulfed by his dream. Only disappointed with how the relationship with his wife turned out as it felt rushed. Beautiful movie though.

omgkitty

Miyazaki is a GOD...so unless Pixar has a GOD on their bench yet to feature..Team Ghibli with the easy win.

Ghibli has never made a bad movie
FUCK YOU TALES FROM EARTHSEA ISN'T BAD
, and Pixar has kinda gone down hill in the last few years as they've run out of ideas.

GQman2121

Banned
Have you guys seen any Hitchcock's movies?

Rebecca? Rope? Psycho? Spellbound? Vertigo?

All four of his pictures with Cary Grant are excellent and hold up very well. North By North West in particular looks great on Blu-ray too. Notorious is imo his best movie.

All four of his pictures with Cary Grant are excellent and hold up very well. North By North West in particular looks great on Blu-ray too. Notorious is imo his best movie.

I've seen ~20 Hitchcocks.

only movie to make me cry: GOAT MOVIE

why did Ivan Ooze have to die?
Amy_Jo_Johnson_43075_Medium.jpg

All you need.

Elchele

I've seen Psycho and i'm halfway thru Vertigo (should I continue?)

The Host is a bit crap

The Soissoissoisoisy Ronan one? It's absolute shite. But you can't really expect much when it's based of a Stephanie Meyer book and Andrew Niccol's brain took a giant shit after Lord of War.

Snowpiercer's pretty good. Doesn't top Memories of Murder or Mother, but I'd rather watch 1 million Snowpiercers' than the shitty super hero bullshit Hollywood keeps regurgitating.

K1LLER7

Di Marzio on Angel Di Maria (google Translated)

"PSG tries to Angel Di Maria. The talent of Real Madrid is one of the specific objectives of the sheikhs, the owners of the Parisian club. On the plate there are 60 million euro are ready to snatch the blancos the former Benfica left-handed. The Real Currency, partly because hardly be able to satisfy the player on contract renewal. Mary asks 8 million net per year, and the PSG is ready to oblige, even salary. Super figure, for a super player, also searched for Manchester United. That it would, but now faces a giant like PSG. The future of the Argentine, contested between the Premier and Ligue 1, between England and France. Ready to go mad..."

Probity

These threads go by quick, damn. I don't want to be awkwardly out of place, but I was late getting news on a signing for Bayern, and I wanted to know if anyone could describe the player for me.

I understand Juan Bernat is a LB/LW, but I don't really know anything about whether or not he is any good, promising, where he plays best, what his best skills are, anything. I don't really follow Valencia, but does anyone know anything about him really

Edit: Also, why the hell is Kroos going to Real Madrid? I figured he was leaving, but that doesn't seem like the best team for his playing style. Hell I could have seen him in some of the Premier League teams, but he isn't the kind of player that I'd have expected in RM. Maybe he will surprise me, but I don't know how successful he will be there. Who's position will he even take?

These threads go by quick, damn. I don't want to be awkwardly out of place, but I was late getting news on a signing for Bayern, and I wanted to know if anyone could describe the player for me.

I understand Juan Bernat is a LB/LW, but I don't really know anything about whether or not he is any good, promising, where he plays best, what his best skills are, anything. I don't really follow Valencia, but does anyone know anything about him really

Edit: Also, why the hell is Kroos going to Real Madrid? I figured he was leaving, but that doesn't seem like the best team for his playing style. Hell I could have seen him in some of the Premier League teams, but he isn't the kind of player that I'd have expected in RM. Maybe he will surprise me, but I don't know how successful he will be there. Who's position will he even take?

Bayern should sell Ribery and start playing Julian Green. America thanks you ahead of time.

FootballFan

This thread is moving pretty slow to be honest, when the season is up and running it's quite a bit faster.

From the times I watched Valencia, Bernat plays like Jordi alba petty much. A good dribbler, really fast, links up well etc.

Though when I watched him I'm pretty sure he was playing as a left winger, not a left back.

I think he'll be a nice fit for Bayern but I don't see him taking alaba's or ribery's position.

Probity

Bayern should sell Ribery and start playing Julian Green. America thanks you ahead of time.

Ha, I almost have a hard time seeing him go. I think he will stay this last year and play less than before, he is starting to lose his pace and all that, it is obvious. He isn't bad yet though. I could see Green coming up to the first team and subbing in, establishing himself, but he won't start. Götze will be in that spot before Green at this point, lol. I love Götze, but I have no clue why we bought him, he doesn't really fit in any of the spots we need improvements on. Like, unless he somehow becomes a CF like Messi, I don't know what he will do well for us overall. He has underperformed as a LW, and we have a lot of CAMs. Green is promising, I don't know. When I say that this Bernat guy is also a winger, I figured he would play up top, since I couldn't see Alaba being replaced. Disappointing overall though, we need a new CB and Badstuber to stop being hurt. I am not entirely satisfied with how we are using our money in the transfer market. Hope Lewa makes Götze play better somehow.

This thread is moving pretty slow to be honest, when the season is up and running it's quite a bit faster.

From the times I watched Valencia, Bernat plays like Jordi alba petty much. A good dribbler, really fast, links up well etc.

Though when I watched him I'm pretty sure he was playing as a left winger, not a left back.

I think he'll be a nice fit for Bayern but I don't see him taking alaba's or ribery's position.

He definitely won't replace Alaba, but I could see him subbing in for Ribery and eventually taking his spot as the season goes on or as Ribery begins to fade into his age. I am pretty satisfied from your impression though, he sounds like an alright signing for the future. I still think we should be in the market to replace Dante or even Boateng though, maybe a new holding midfielder because Guardiola hates Martinez up there. Or maybe a new RB since Guardiola won't let Lahm play in the back.

I can't stand this manager, he is making me so frustrated. How was he so successful with Barca?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom