• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the matter? United GAF can't take a joke? They've thrown enough in my direction that I've had to swallow.

Enjoy your signing. Congratulations again - now focus on getting a defensive mid in; just not one we're after.

Who am I kidding? We're in for no one realistic.

What are we thinking about United's top 4 chances this season?

IMO it rests more on what Liverpool do in the window, over what LVG can do.

jtb

Banned
Surprised so many see Sanchez playing up top considering Wenger's proclivity for tall strikers. Very much doubt we'll be seeing a 169cm dude as the lone frontman outside of emergencies (or maybe the CL?).

Still think a striker is on the cards, even if it's Remy at £8m. Alexis will play on the right/left for the most part (especially with Theo being out til for start of the season at the very least), with freedom of course. He's gotten plenty of goals coming in off the left, so I could see him having alot of joy there. I just don't think it's a coincidence we go from Draxler, to Griezmann, to Reus (Wenger's dream target for the summer according to Kike Marin at least), to Sanchez. The first 3 all play in the same position...

Anyway, one of the problems with Sanchez at Barca was that he slowed the passing game down by stopping to try and take on a defender, which may be an issue (though there's an argument that with Ozil/Ramsey/Theo/Ox we're probably best as a more direct side). I always felt like Griezmann/Pedro would slot into the current setup better than Alexis with their touch and move style, but at the end of the day, if the team isn't playing well, Griezmann would become alot less effective, whereas Sanchez can produce something out of nothing and win you the game. Wenger will adjust slightly and make it work.

1st: great avatar

Gervinho isn't tall and Wenger really liked the idea of playing him at striker. Sanchez seems to fit that profile of a mobile, dribbler who can run in behind defenses—and frankly, Ozil is a huge upgrade over Cazorla in the 10 role, and Sanchez is far better than even my beloved Gervinho could ever be at that role, especially when it comes to finishing. Wenger might like tall strikers but for all of Giroud's legendary hold up play and target man ability, he's actually a poor header of the ball and doesn't seem to win many aerial balls.

I can definitely see us playing Sanchez playing up front for periods of the season, and I can even see it being relatively successful (or at least more successful than playing Giroud up front). I think Wenger will ease Sanchez in first, though, playing him on the wing—especially without Theo.

L1NETT

Just remembered we have Andre The Giant coming back

Our future is safe

YES HITCH

8006745889_1379e6b5d1_o.gif

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

With our current squad we are outsiders for sure, definite improvements needed.

But can they be done?

WJD

If we don't make any more signings then I'd argue we're still in the weakest position of the 5 realistically competing. Lack of Europe will be undeniably useful though.

Lightning

Banned
Wedward you're getting greedy. We won't be signing Griezmann while Podolski is at our club and Santi just extended. It's a non starter.

Focus on a DM, CB and back up goalkeeper.

Exactly why I don't think we should buy a RB this window. Give Wisdom/Flanagan a shot at it, and re evaluate in January.

If Johnson is sticking around for his paycheck, I can think of worse backup fullbacks tbh

LB: Moreno/Bertrand/Johnson/Flanagan
CB: Lovren/Sakho/Skrtel/Agger/Wisdom
RB: Flanagan/Wisdom/Johnson

I can live with that. Wisdom would have to start in the cups though, no point depriving him of playing every week only to not play him at all.

wedward

Wedward you're getting greedy. We won't be signing Griezmann while Podolski is at our club and Santi just extended. It's a non starter.

I know :(

I think DM has been our most needed position for about 7 years now. Very happy that we might finally be getting one.

GK I'm not too worried about. Just get someone with some pl experience who is ok with sitting on the bench and playing cup games.

Santi isn't a wide player.

He can't play every game. You could see how exhausted he was last season.

Podolski isn't good enough.

I think he's alright on the left. Took him a long time last season to start performing though iirc, only started turning it on in like December, and even then he was inconsistent

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I wonder how hard pool with push in Europe at the expense of the league, how prepared the squad will be, that sounds baiting to say it, but having been out a few years its definitely a new thing to think about. Our biggest chance to get into the top four is pool getting stretched.

omgkitty

Being greedy has nothing to do with it I don't think. Fact of the matter is that Wenger won't do it unless there's some crazy good deal out there. I'd say after this season we'll most likely see Podolski leave, and next summer we'll probably go in big for someone like Griezmann (unless he's fucked off to Monaco or PSG or something) or Reus or whoever the hot new thing is next summer.

Apparently Chelsea upped their bid for Luis, from 12 to 15 mil. Nearing his actual release clause now, meh, hope the club doesn't end up overspending on him considering his age, there could be a lot other LB's that makes sense when looking at FFP too.

jtb

Banned
Griezmann will move this summer. so if we don't get him, we won't for another three years until he's considered damaged goods at whichever big club he's failed at

wedward

I wonder how hard pool with push in Europe at the expense of the league, how prepared the squad will be, that sounds baiting to say it, but having been out a few years its definitely a new thing to think about. Our biggest chance to get into the top four is pool getting stretched.

They'll prioritize the league over CL.

They aren't winning it this year. Top 4 will probably be their top goal this season.

omgkitty

Griezmann will move this summer. so if we don't get him, we won't for another three years until he's considered damaged goods at whichever big club he's failed at

Which is why we should just pay the 25m and get it over with. We have the money to buy him and still afford someone like Bender for 20 to 25m and a backup GK and CB.

Barzul

Being greedy has nothing to do with it I don't think. Fact of the matter is that Wenger won't do it unless there's some crazy good deal out there. I'd say after this season we'll most likely see Podolski leave, and next summer we'll probably go in big for someone like Griezmann (unless he's fucked off to Monaco or PSG or something) or Reus or whoever the hot new thing is next summer.

Wenger is probably bidding his time for that Reus clause to go live. There'll be massive competition mind. Hopefully Rosicky is still around and we'd have won something again.

We saw last season how important momentum and less games is. Can easily see you blitzing your first 6 games and carrying that form far enough to put you right on the front foot.

Wonder if FSG would give Rodgers permission to treat CL games as importantly as he wants to prevent it interfering with the league campaign. Reckon we might essentially write off the Cup games, especially the early rounds.

I'd agree with that, although I'd say I expect Liverpool's to look more different when all said is done.
Dont think how much more different really matters though.

Just depends on how much better it is or isn't. Which we won't really find out deep into next season anyway.

I'll believe it when it's official, otherwise not. We've been quiet on the tranfer front since Herrera and Shaw, but once Louis gets to see the squad up close he'll be sending half of them on their way out and bringing in the emergency dutch contingent. Kuyt to United will be glorious. When he scores for us at Anfield there will be salt everywhere.

Stahp. Your obsession with Kuyt is unhealthy. I don't want that ugly fuck near my club.

JuveGAF should love Evra. The fact that he turned down Inter for Juve proves how much of a bro he is.

Just depends on how much better it is or isn't. Which we won't really find out deep into next season anyway.

Wonder what LVG will focus on in friendlies? He really has very small amount of time with the team.

Will he try out new players or go with his preferred players in formation?

I have never followed pre-season friendlies before so I have no idea.

Barzul

Which is why we should just pay the 25m and get it over with. We have the money to buy him and still afford someone like Bender for 20 to 25m and a backup GK and CB.

I honestly don't think he's a priority. I'd rather took care of DM, CB and GK before going after him. Those are positions where if we lose a player, our season could potentially be fucked. Carzola and Podolski are competent enough for one more season. If we do move for him, it'll be a very late deal.

Sometimes you can tell

It was obvious that Spurs had got it terribly wrong by the beginning of October, even when they were like 2 points behind 4th

Mr Cola

We saw last season how important momentum and less games is. Can easily see you blitzing your first 6 games and carrying that form far enough to put you right on the front foot.

Wonder if FSG would give Rodgers permission to treat CL games as importantly as he wants to prevent it interfering with the league campaign. Reckon we might essentially write off the Cup games, especially the early rounds.

We cant get a much better start, but we are always slow starters, LvG is traditionally a slow starter. I have absolutely no illusions we are going to win all those games, i remember last year so many times we said "oh thats an easy 10-12 point run" and we ended up with 5 points :(.

I would just be a whole mess comfier if we stopped being linked and started actively negotiating with the positions we need.

Lightning

Banned
Okay, Lets break this down:

Debuchy - 8m
Sanchez - 30m

They are pretty much confirmed so that's 40m we've already spent.

A decent DM will cost us another 20m minimum, decent CB could cost anywhere between 8-15m and then you have a few million for a goalkeeper. Where does the Greizmann money come from unless we start selling players?

Even without Griezmann we're sitting at 80m, doubtful we will spend that much. It's just not happening,

Both are important in your cases. Liverpool because they had a very thin squad anyway and they have Europe to worry about now. You guys have had a few exists, and some of the guys you had on the bench last season simply weren't good enough.

Arsenal, City and Chelsea look to be locks for the CL spots, it'll be really interesting to see who that 4th spot goes to. But like you said, long way to go before we have any kind of idea.

Wonder what LVG will focus on in friendlies? He really has very small amount of time with the team.

Will he try out new players or go with his preferred players in formation?

I have never followed pre-season friendlies before so I have no idea.
Well it's just going to be a complete overhaul really. I don't think it's one or the other.

Sometimes you can tell

It was obvious that Spurs had got it terribly wrong by the beginning of October, even when they were like 2 points behind 4th
That's true. But even until October Spurs were doing okay. The football wasn't great but the results were solid.

wedward

I honestly don't think he's a priority. I'd rather took care of DM, CB and GK before going after him. Those are positions where if we lose a player, our season could potentially be fucked. Carzola and Podolski are competent enough for one more season. If we do move for him, it'll be a very late deal.

We did Debuchy and Sanchez at the same time.

The club have lots of people working on deals. Rumor is that we work on multiple deals at the same time, for players in the same position, and then we finalize the best deal.

This club should be able to sign Griezmann, a DM, and a backup keeper in the next 2 months.

Fuck the magic of the cup when there's so much on the line and it could throw a spanner in the works :p

Arsenal fans have been getting shit for this attitude for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom