• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1LLER7

Nah everyone new Hames from his time at Porto.

This Origi piece ends with a sentence about Lukaku shitting himself. "Other players know when they see a future threat."

Also Independent saying United want De Jong, too. Odd signing. Weird. Not entirely convincing.
Our Lucas Leiva.

Would be a good signing. Gives another option in midfield and brings energy to the mid 3. £10m is a decent fee too.

pappe

Dont see Carrick being a part of midfield if Herrera and Mata are part of the 3. We will need a strong DM a la De Jong. It will a very crucial season for Fellainim

Arnie

Talk up De Jong all you want but if that's not a fall from grace I don't know what is.

He plays for AC Milan.

Independent also saying Gaal retains an interest in Hummels and Schweinsteiger. Now they would be decent signings.

WJD

Dont see Carrick being a part of midfield if Herrera and Mata are part of the 3. We will need a strong DM a la De Jong. It will a very crucial season for Fellainim

Keep forgetting we even have him. If he had an ounce of positional sense when deep he'd be a good option. Alas...

Talk up De Jong all you want but if that's not a fall from grace I don't know what is.

He plays for AC Milan.

Independent also saying Gaal retains an interest in Hummels and Schweinsteiger. Now they would be decent signings.
Are you waiting for a haircut in a middle class hair salon?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
u wot m8

aF3APw4.jpg

alexis sanchez looks like a hostage.

Scum

He plays for AC Milan.

I'm surprised FF's mob aren't chasing after Hummels. Then again....

K1LLER7

Just hope Mexico get the job done today.

Meant to be really hot. Apparently Holland won't be able to cope. Yes please.
They'll sit back and counter to great effect.

Holland 3-1

RVP x2, Robben x1

Memphis Depay has looked good this tournament. Suprised there seems to be less hype around him.

scently

Keep forgetting we even have him. If he had an ounce of positional sense when deep he'd be a good option. Alas...

He is too slow, prone to elbow people in the face, and doesn't have an inkling of passing range and is shit positionally......

Zabojnik

Sanchez is best buddy with Vidal. They have the same agent and I'm sure he misses la bella vita in Italy. And he has agreed to our terms. I'm sorry guys, but Alexis to Juve is happening. I know, it feels weird saying it even to me, but it's inevitable at this point.

Manager

Carrick was very poor last season. Although I think that may have something to do with the complete lack of attacking movement in front of him. There was an awful lot of sideways and backwards passing. Lot of misplaced passes too which isn't something you'd usually associate with him.

He's a deep lying midfielder anyway but I suppose you can classify him as a purely defensive midfielder albeit an unorthodox one. He's very good at winning the ball back through intercepting possession rather than tackling. I hope a new manager and better midfield partner in Herrera will help him get back on track.

He'll most likely play in the deepest midfield role to help the defence and start attacks. A Busquets-ish role in 4-3-3. He can do it well and has great range to his passing when on form. However, we really need to find a replacement for him now that he's nearing his mid 30s

He was shite but it's hard to say whether it was age related or Moyes related. If we're moving more in line with a 4-3-3 he might find a way to the top of his game again.

Carrick, Herrera, Mata could be a pretty decent midfield even if we didn't sign anyone.

edit: christ I'm on the same wavelength as Killer

Thanks. Sounds like if you played him and De Jong together, you'd put a lot of pressure on the four attackers to create chances, like Mancini did. City were saved by Tevez and Aguero back then.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Sanchez is best buddy with Vidal. They have the same agent and I'm sure he misses la bella vita in Italy. And he has agreed to our terms. I'm sorry guys, but Alexis to Juve is happening. I know, it feels weird saying it even to me, but it's inevitable at this point.
Yeah pretty much.

Manager

Italian press saying Davide Astori is wanted by Juventus, Man City and Lazio. City was rumoured last season too. Apparently last year of his contract?

Sidenote:
On 9 July 2012, Astori revealed he turned down a move to Russian side Spartak Moscow for worth 15million euro (£11.9m) fee after agreement between two clubs. Astori explained turning down a move to Spartak Moscow because he wants to stay at Cagliari and achieve his goals with the club.[14]

Clegg

Thanks. Sounds like if you played him and De Jong together, you'd put a lot of pressure on the four attackers to create chances, like Mancini did. City were saved by Tevez and Aguero back then.
If LvG implements his preferred tactics at United then we'll be playing with three in midfield. So it would be Carrick/De Jong?/Herrera as a potential line up. Wouldn't be bad imo. At the very least it would be a hell of a lot better than anything we've fielded in a number of seasons.

LegoArmo

So isntead of United signing their rivals best players, they're now signing Arsenal and City rejects. How the mighty have fallen.

pappe

If LvG implements his preferred tactics at United then we'll be playing with three in midfield. So it would be Carrick/De Jong?/Herrera as a potential line up. Wouldn't be bad imo. At the very least it would be a hell of a lot better than anything we've fielded in a number of seasons.

----De Jong----
--Herrera--Mata
Young--------Rooney
-------RVP------

Croyles

Fucking hell Uruguay:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/29/uruguay-press-reaction-world-cup

“We’ve had to fight against everyone.” Blaming Fifa for Suárez’s ban, Arévalo Ríos claimed: “The truth is they wanted us out,” before adding that he is “bitter” about Uruguay’s exit.

“The mood was on the floor – not because of the penalties but instead because of the way a dear one was treated, being kicked out of the World Cup as if he was a criminal.”

Some A class persecution complex there.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Luis Suarez was banned three times for biting players, but a surprise report claims he was investigated eight times.

The Uruguay striker received a four-month ban for clamping his jaws on the shoulder of Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

It was the third time he has been caught on camera biting an opponent after incidents during his time at Ajax and Liverpool.

Now the Daily Star maintains FIFA have investigated another five incidents of biting during the 27-year-old’s career.

These date back to Suarez’s early professional career at Nacional de Montevideo.

“FIFA have not only taken into consideration this bite and two previous incidents when they handed Suarez a four-month ban from football,” a source is quoted as telling the Daily Star on Sunday.

“They are also aware of other alleged biting incidents from his early professional playing days. There are people who have come forward to FIFA with details.

“There are allegations of five attacks but whistleblowers have told FIFA they were covered up because football officials in Uruguay did not want it known that their star asset was involved.”

Suarez received a seven-game ban in November 2010 for biting PSV player Otman Bakkal while he was at Ajax.

Last year the Liverpool striker was suspended for 10 games after he was caught on camera biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic.

In all of these incidents, Suarez was not spotted by officials at the time and only punished using video evidence.
I'm angry and confused

Manager

Astori is possibly the worst CB in Serie A.

Paletta and Ranocchia were picked over him for Italy, think about that for a min

Fuck. Will be really interesting what Txiki got up his sleeves, otherwise it'll be another season of Demichelis.

Walshy

If you got all of those players, another striker would be overkill. You'd lose Suarez and be making up his goals with everyone you've just listed. Suso's already pretty extraneous at this point.
I think Suso is going to end up at Porto if Liverpool don't feel they need him. I think Markovic, Sanchez and Sterling would certainly make up for Suarez's absence.

However my main concern is Sturridge. Sturridge is very injury prone, and when he's out, who do we turn to? Lambert? All indications is that Borini is gone and Origi is off out on loan. We will definitely need another forward imo.

Only semi-realistic one is Cavani if PSG consider him expendable for FFP. He doesn't look particularly good though whenever I watch him, certainly not good enough to play as anything other than a striker who basically stands in the box waiting for chances to present themselves

Call me a twat, but I still think Soldado could be a good PL striker in the right team, and with some confidence. Obviously even if Rodgers agreed, Spurs wouldn't sell to us, and he'd be too expensive even if they would for someone who had such a terrible year and would be a huge risk.

edit: Surely it's become Sanchez or Markovic or Shaqiri?
Telegraph are reporting that if Suarez goes it's Sanchez + Markovic.

Cavani would be nice, but I still don't believe the rumours that PSG are open to a sale, considering Ibra's age. I'm not sold on Soldado, I don't think he is ever going to thrive in English football.

Jabo

Astori is possibly the worst CB in Serie A.

Paletta and Ranocchia were picked over him for Italy, think about that for a min

Now now that's not a nice thing to say about this generation's Nesta.

And people please stop mentioning De Jong, he's not going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom