• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Blablurn

Toni Kroos makes his mark in Brazil http://www.espnfc.us/blog/world-cup...ng-his-mark-for-germany-at-the-2014-world-cup

Bayern's decision to let him go -- they didn't bow to his wage demands, arguing that he wasn't quite world-class -- has certainly looked less smart with every passing game. "It's a joke that Mario Götze makes nearly three times as much," Der Tagesspiegel noted

wow, i didn't expect gotze to make that much more than kroos

kroos makes literally one world class game every 4-5 months. shocker. thats such an old topic lol.

GorillaJu

Toni Kroos makes his mark in Brazil http://www.espnfc.us/blog/world-cup...ng-his-mark-for-germany-at-the-2014-world-cup

Bayern's decision to let him go -- they didn't bow to his wage demands, arguing that he wasn't quite world-class -- has certainly looked less smart with every passing game. "It's a joke that Mario Götze makes nearly three times as much," Der Tagesspiegel noted

Kroos was signed 8 years ago (he was I think 15 or 16 at the time). Players who are signed as teenagers and make their way up the ranks always make significantly less than marquee signings in wages. Gotze was one of the most highly sought players, playing for CL finalists, so it makes sense.

Player salaries aren't set on skill alone.

Says more about Gotze's wages thm a fucking ludicrous amount of money than Kroos' tbh. They offered him a fucking ludicrous amount of money to fuck Dortmund over, in addition to the 40m Euros they spent on the release clause. And they don't even need him, at all.

Ultimate dick-waving transfer. Only did it to destroy their rivals for having the cheek to challenge them, and to solidify themselves as the only team in their league.

Long term, I can see them falling away from their place at the top table in Europe, at which point nobody will give a shit about playing in the Bundesliga because it's not a competition anymore, and they'll slowly decline as interest in playing for them drops as their European pedigree declines and they end up being a glorified version of a Rangers-less Celtic.

A strongish Dortmund is good for Bayern imo

Blablurn

and gotze?

Götze is still a talent. Yes, he is overpaid as well. But he proved hin Dortmund that he can be a gamechanger. As someone from Bayern GAF said before: Götze is displayed as Germanys future. Literally Germanys Messi. He has a huge ass lobby behind him.

And a good management that took care of his huge ass contract.

I also think that even Bayern realized that cannot throw around with money anymore. Götze, Ribery, Robben, Lahm and Müller got new contracts. And at one point you need to go back to normal wages again.

And Kroos was the right person to demonstrate power again.

I wouldn't sell him even if you gave us £40m. He's worth around £20-25m though, yes. The ceiling is really, really high if he's coached properly.

Cheers

Just noticed a bit of a disconnect between the way he was regarded by neutrals last year, and the amount they think he's worth now

April: Markovic is fucking boss, he'll be one of the best in the world in a couple of years
July: £25m wut

Similar to Shaw I guess. I've seen enough of Shaw to think he'll justify that transfer fee eventually, and hopefully Markovic does too. (Well, hopefully Shaw doesn't and Markovic does)

rvy

Banned
Cheers

Just noticed a bit of a disconnect between the way he was regarded by neutrals last year, and the amount they think he's worth now

April: Markovic is fucking boss, he'll be one of the best in the world in a couple of years
July: £25m wut

Similar to Shaw I guess. I've seen enough of Shaw to think he'll justify that transfer fee eventually, and hopefully Markovic does too. (Well, hopefully Shaw doesn't and Markovic does)
Markovic is 20. People who don't think he's worth around that amount either haven't seen him play or are certifiably ignorant about football.

The problem is that it's a risk. To pay this much for a 20 year old is always a risk, there's no guarantee that he'll achieve what he's supposed to. But just like the risk is high, so is the reward.

L1NETT

Ben Alnwick, Richard Bryan (who is that), Angelo Balanta, Callum Ball and Nick Arnold all playing on trial in our friendly today

Would take Ball and Balanta

Alnwick is gash but probably better than JMac

Don't need Arnold and who is Richard Bryan

Says more about Gotze's wages thm a fucking ludicrous amount of money than Kroos' tbh. They offered him a fucking ludicrous amount of money to fuck Dortmund over, in addition to the 40m Euros they spent on the release clause. And they don't even need him, at all.

Ultimate dick-waving transfer. Only did it to destroy their rivals for having the cheek to challenge them, and to solidify themselves as the only team in their league.

Long term, I can see them falling away from their place at the top table in Europe, at which point nobody will give a shit about playing in the Bundesliga because it's not a competition anymore, and they'll slowly decline as interest in playing for them drops as their European pedigree declines and they end up being a glorified version of a Rangers-less Celtic.

A strongish Dortmund is good for Bayern imo
Whilst there may have been a bit of that about it...it's definitely not that simple.

Goetze is an outstanding talent. He might not have had his best season but he is potentially, a phenomenal player. Why wouldn't you want a player like that. Bayern's wingers are ageing - Goetze was available and in the grand scheme of things should be able to adapt to Bayern easily enough and would have favoured the move ahead of other talents who might prefer to go to England/Spain.

Plus he's the apparent German golden boy. It matters to a club like Bayern to have him playing for them.

FootballFan

<3Watch Dogs sold 8M? Gaming is fucking dead.

Borrowed it off a m8.

Holy shit.

There is no game out there that is as average as watch dogs.

Seriously. Not great, good, shit or anything. It's a 5/10. So average.

Average. You play it with a :| face. No joy, sadness or anger(unless you paid for it). The definition of average.

Ben Alnwick, Richard Bryan (who is that), Angelo Balanta, Callum Ball and Nick Arnold all playing on trial in our friendly today

Callum Ball is crap.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Watching Morata's 'highlights'

madmen_puking-300x169.jpg

and Watch Dogs is the Kroos of games

Markovic is 20. People who don't think he's worth around that amount either haven't seen him play or are certifiably ignorant about football.

The problem is that it's a risk. To pay this much for a 20 year old is always a risk, there's no guarantee that he'll achieve what he's supposed to. But just like the risk is high, so is the reward.

Oooh he used to play for Splatt's team Partizan!

Maddox

You've got me all excited.

Yeah

Not expecting a huge amount from him next season given his age/new team/new league but if his potential is as high as you guys & others who watch Benfica regularly say it is, it will hopefully be fulfilled.

Could have left him at Benfica for a year and spent it on someone else, but who knows how much his valuation will be next summer, or if someone else would swoop in in the meantime

I fucking love Anderson and Root

Scum

Borrowed it off a m8.

Holy shit.

There is no game out there that is as average as watch dogs.

Seriously. Not great, good, shit or anything. It's a 5/10. So average.

Average. You play it with a :| face. No joy, sadness or anger(unless you paid for it). The definition of average.

It's all about hype and marketing nowadays. That's why these average games sell so much. Watch_Dogs always seemed like a less than a tenner buy for me.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Alnwick is one of the worst keepers I've ever seen, he played once in the league for Spurs on the last day of 09/10 away at Burnley where he cost us 4 goals after we'd gone 2-0 up. Absolutely shit player.

Arnie

Thanks RVY, that's solid intel on Markovic.

In regards to Baki's "fancy signings" comment it's worth noting that Sturridge or Coutinho or Mignolet weren't "fancy signings" but given how good our coaching staff is and our style of football it didn't matter; they played a huge role in taking us from 7th to 2nd.

If we can apply that ability to absolutely maximise players to Markovic, Lallana, Lovren, Can etc we'll be fucking boss.

If the experiment - and it has to be called that - fails it'll go tits up and we'll resemble Spurs.

FootballFan

It's all about hype and marketing nowadays. That's why these average games sell so much. Watch_Dogs always seemed like a less than a tenner buy for me.

Genuinely was in awe at how average it is. It really isn't bad. But it's no good either. It's just...there.

L1NETT

Alnwick is one of the worst keepers I've ever seen, he played once in the league for Spurs on the last day of 09/10 away at Burnley where he cost us 4 goals after we'd gone 2-0 up. Absolutely shit player.

You really need to wack on some League 1 highlights every so often

Alnwick looks like Dida compared to the butterfingered Scotsman we pay a wage to

GorillaJu

Yeah

Not expecting a huge amount from him next season given his age/new team/new league but if his potential is as high as you guys & others who watch Benfica regularly say it is, it will hopefully be fulfilled.

Could have left him at Benfica for a year and spent it on someone else, but who knows how much his valuation will be next summer, or if someone else would swoop in in the meantime

I fucking love Anderson and Root

We wouldn't be signing him if he was going to play a bit-part role this season. He'd be stupid to come after having so many games at Benfica. He'll be first XI for the most part I reckon.

sohois

Whilst there may have been a bit of that about it...it's definitely not that simple.

Goetze is an outstanding talent. He might not have had his best season but he is potentially, a phenomenal player. Why wouldn't you want a player like that. Bayern's wingers are ageing - Goetze was available and in the grand scheme of things should be able to adapt to Bayern easily enough and would have favoured the move ahead of other talents who might prefer to go to England/Spain.

Plus he's the apparent German golden boy. It matters to a club like Bayern to have him playing for them.

I always found the hand wringing over Gotze to be ridiculous, myself.Whether or not Bayern 'needed' him or not, clubs make such unnecessary transfers all the time. The player had a release clause, and Bayern activated it, same as several other clubs.

Bayern could have decided not to go for him, but the end result would have been the same. They would have just spent that money on Isco or some other young attacker, Gotze would have gone to City or another club, end result Dortmund are less Gotze and Bayern have a top quality young attacker.

Lewandowski was scummy but Gotze was in no way.

rvy

Banned
You've got me all excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIlyNT5xAMA

Replace the red for maroon and blue, who does that look like to you? This isn't some run of the mill team either.

Yeah

First year will be filled with flashes of brilliance but extreme inconsistency, IMO. You could wait a year, I wouldn't mind at all, but then you'll probably have to spend more to get him.

Götze is still a talent. Yes, he is overpaid as well. But he proved hin Dortmund that he can be a gamechanger. As someone from Bayern GAF said before: Götze is displayed as Germanys future. Literally Germanys Messi. He has a huge ass lobby behind him.

And a good management that took care of his huge ass contract.

Did he?

He sure played great but the only game he changed might be the one against Hanover when he scored the important goal on his own but that was in fucking 2011. He was always hyped because of the potential but he was never our most important player. 2010/11 was Sahin, 2011/12 was Kagawa and 2012/13 was Gündogan.

The funny thing is that Götze's and Kroos' agent is the same guy, giving Götze such a huge contract was obvious to fuck up Bayern's wages.

I wonder what life feels like when you have that much money

Must be weird

You're still living something of a normal life as you have to stay close to your club, and you don't earn so much that you can just build a castle and live in an oppulent pit of decadence, plus you have to stay in shape so you can't live like a 15th century King.

Then you retire early, so you need to set a lot of money aside unless you plan on becoming a pundit or property manager or something.

Must be a far cry from the billionnaire Abramovich lifestyle of yachtsetting around the world and just buying what you want, when you want.

Still jealous as fuck though :(

Wonder what today's footballers will be like post-retirement. Players who retired in the 90s and 00s seem quite normal, somehow.

Scum

Have we re-signed Caulker yet?

Genuinely was in awe at how average it is. It really isn't bad. But it's no good either. It's just...there.

A shitload of games come Nov. and most likely in next few years will be this way. Those cunts a publishers' like EA and Ubi don't give a shit about being creative anymore simply because it scares away people that dwell on GamingGAF. :-/

Ushojax

Thanks RVY, that's solid intel on Markovic.

In regards to Baki's "fancy signings" comment it's worth noting that Sturridge or Coutinho or Mignolet weren't "fancy signings" but given how good our coaching staff is and our style of football it didn't matter; they played a huge role in taking us from 7th to 2nd.

If we can apply that ability to absolutely maximise players to Markovic, Lallana, Lovren, Can etc we'll be fucking boss.

If the experiment - and it has to be called that - fails it'll go tits up and we'll resemble Spurs.

I don't think things can go as badly for you as they did for us, not only did we sign no players with PL experience but we had serious injury problems almost as soon as the season started. Combined with AVBs idiotic treatment of Ade and BAE it turned into a clusterfuck very quickly. I still don't think we signed bad players except for Paulinho, they were either injured too much or not used properly.

That AVB thought Soldado could play in his system is the ultimate exposure of his idiocy.

GorillaJu

Don't think Liverpool will do a Spurs because they have Rodgers and not AVB.

And no Levy, either.

I don't think we'll do a Spurs either, because I think our transfer philosophy is different.

You always got the feeling with Spurs that they were looking for undervalued players, or just players who were recognized as being very skillful and were available for a fair price.

We'll be signing players specifically to fit Rodgers' system, and even without Suarez we have some key pieces like Sterling, Gerrard, Coutinho and Henderson, who were important players last year and will retain their role. Not only did Spurs' transfers lack foresight and cohesiveness, they also tried to change too much. I don't think we'll be making that mistake... I hope not, anyway.

Though it is looking like the signings are in very similar positions (Soldado = Bony [potentially], Paulinho = Can, Eriksen = Lallana, Lamela = Markovic)

L1NETT

A shitload of games come Nov. and most likely in next few years will be this way. Those cunts a publishers' like EA and Ubi don't give a shit about being creative anymore simply because it scares away people that dwell on GamingGAF. :-/

Valiant Hearts and Child of Light are really run of the mill games, good shout m8

Yeah Watch Dogs is boiler plate, but Ubi not being creative is complete tripe, never go full Jim Sterling outrage shite Scum

Scum

I don't think things can go as badly for you as they did for us, not only did we sign no players with PL experience but we had serious injury problems almost as soon as the season started. Combined with AVBs idiotic treatment of Ade and BAE it turned into a clusterfuck very quickly. I still don't think we signed bad players except for Paulinho, AVB was just not using them properly.

Yep. Agreed. Liverpool will be fine. Oh, and Usho. Sandro & Holtby in the middle, pls.

FootballFan

I preordered far cry 4. Really liked fc3. Hated fc2. I hate all asscreeds.

Pls don't fail me ubisoft

Ushojax

Not only did Spurs' transfers lack foresight and cohesiveness, they also tried to change too much. I don't think we'll be making that mistake... I hope not, anyway.

Though it is looking like the signings are in very similar positions (Soldado = Bony [potentially], Paulinho = Can, Eriksen = Lallana, Lamela = Markovic)

Well in terms of numbers you will have changed just as much if not more of the squad than we did once you sign some defenders. It will be interesting to see how things go, it seems like every team that signs more than 3 or 4 senior players finds it very hard to avoid a limp season.

Yep. Agreed. Liverpool will be fine. Oh, and Usho. Sandro & Holtby in the middle, pls.

Lloris
Walker Kaboul Chiriches Assou-Ekotto
Eriksen Sandro Holtby
Lamela Adebayor Townsend

That's without even adding any signings. Our last two managers were morons.

Scum

Valiant Hearts and Child of Light are really run of the mill games, good shout m8

Yeah Watch Dogs is boiler plate, but Ubi not being creative is complete tripe, never go full Jim Sterling outrage shite Scum

Linette, pls. AAA tripe I'm on about m9. They're probably churning out Watch_Dogs 2: Hack Harder right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom