• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we all just clarify that every single one of these Dutch players with the exception of Percy and Robben are well below the standard expected at a club like United.

Like, it's fine to predict which ones they're going to get but let's not think for one minute that these players are the catalyst for a United revival.

De Vrij is an Everton player.

Clasie is a Swansea player.

I see none as first team players, but De Vrij and Depay would make decent squaddies.

Can we all just clarify that every single one of these Dutch players with the exception of Percy and Robben are well below the standard expected at a club like United.

Like, it's fine to predict which ones they're going to get but let's not think for one minute that these players are the catalyst for a United revival.

Squad players m8.

Edit - what horsey said

Fergie

Banned
Has Suarez appeared in a Barca shirt yet?

#MoreThanABite
GH4HXvy.png

Isn't "really" official until next week but this was on the Barca site and is profile photo of the serial biters twitter.

Dangerous.

Reeks of Aspas/Alberto

Never going to play. Can't change a game. Won't ever challenge the regular starters.

Maybe. But they're young and seem talented. I'd rather have them than Young and Tom.

Everyone knows we need more first team quality players and that will determine how we do next season - but we still need to rebuild the squad, and that requires more than just established names.

Arnie

But these Dutch players aren't going to develop into World beaters?

It's not like having great young talent. It's middling young talent from Holland.

Just go and buy fucking Caulker.

scently

While this is certainly true, the reason I want players like Clasie, Blind, and De Vril is not so that they can be our first eleven but that we need squad depth and they will do well as that given that they are better than what we have. Also they are young and have shown potential to be better.

We have a lot of rebuilding to do at utd and we are going to be doing this from a bad situation; without CL. So its all fine and good if we can get Vidal or whoever else, but we need squad depth.

It's not like having great young talent. It's middling young talent from Holland.

Funny, didn't see Caulker finishing in 3rd in the WC finals nor playing well against Spain, Chile, Argentina and Brazil.

bud

if players like evans, smalling and phil jones can be regular starters for manchester united, and players like skrtel and flanagan for liverpool, then i don't see why someone as talented as de vrij couldn't do the same.

they aren't exactly "world beaters."

Arnie

Funny, didn't see Caulker finishing in 3rd in the WC finals nor playing well against Spain, Chile, Argentina and Brazil.
:lol

You've gone off the deep end.

Nah but Caulker does alright in the Premier League. Just like these Dutchies will.

Alright.

"He's alright isn't he?"

"Yea, he's alright"

Well I've only ever seen these dudes play at this WC so I can't say they are great/bad whatever. I just think we need to buy alot of players and if the manager wants some young Dutch talent that he rates, I'll go along with it.

It's not super exciting nor will I be too down about it.

You're not playing in Europe this season, how much depth do you really need?

Well we still need a back up for RB and LB, and we are at least one CB short.

And I don't have confidence in anyone other than Herrera and Carrick for CM.

Lightning

Banned
We finish 3rd at a world cup, only losing to Argentina on penalties, and our players aside from Robben and RVP are not good enough or can never be? This stinks of everyone saying this was one of our worst teams or that we would go out in the group stages...

:lol

You've gone off the deep end.

Nah but Caulker does alright in the Premier League. Just like these Dutchies will.

Alright.

"He's alright isn't he?"

"Yea, he's alright"

I'm waiting for you to tell me why they're bad given their recent achievements. Is it because they play in the Eredivisie? They were more than alright. Not world class or anything, but if you're presenting Caulker as a baseline then they'll do better than him for a lower price.

scently

We have Young, Cleverley, Nani, (add whatever name you want here), these are players who are absolutely terrible and are just taking up space and money in the team. So yeah we do need some depth.

Jarnet87

a backup right back for when Rafael gets hurt, 2 CB's for when Smalling Jones and Evans get hurt. That's about it. We've got enough depth to cover RVP's, Rooneys, Nani injury spells.

Arnie

We finish 3rd at a world cup, only losing to Argentina on penalties, and our players aside from Robben and RVP are not good enough or can never be? This stinks of everyone saying this was one of our worst teams or that we would go out in the group stages...
Not good enough for a team like Manchester United.

In honour of the great man I'm adapting his maxim:

"You'll never win anything with average kids"

Salvadora

Well we still need a back up for RB and LB, and we are at least one CB short.

And I don't have confidence in anyone other than Herrera and Carrick for CM.
Getting Vermaelen would solve two of those problems, at least.

We're not factoring in Van Gaal making the shit players better, either. Stranger things have happened.

Mastadon

Banned
I was slightly worried that we'd go the whole transfer window without being linked to Arda Turan but all is right with the world now.

scently

And if you are suggesting Caulker, you do know that he is going to cost more than it would to get two or three of players in the dutch squad right?

De Vrij had a wonderful tournament.

Three cheers for De Vrij.

I'm sure the Everton scouts enjoyed his performances.
Right because setting to the semi-final of a World Cup without losing is such a shit achievement only Everton will recognise the best players of that run, beating the holders 5-1 I'm the first game as well.

Arnie

I was slightly worried that we'd go the whole transfer window without being linked to Arda Turan but all is right with the would now.
Flat circle etc etc

United linked with Dutchies.

Newcastle linked with frenchies.

Liverpool linked with southamptonies.

MOYES

Getting Vermaelen would solve two of those problems, at least.

We're not factoring in Van Gaal making the shit players better, either. Stranger things have happened.

Well yes - but I'm not sure we will get Vermaelen.

Pretty sure LvG is going to get alot more out of quite a number of players, but he will also be selling quite a few. I expect 5/6 to go or to be black listed anyway.

We need to sign 3/4 more players this summer at least IMO. If 2 of those are with the intention of being "first teamers" i'll happily take a couple of prospects too.

One Mirror reporter is claiming that United are pulling out of interest on Vidal, Hummels and Di Maria, citing mainly expense.

Not sure I believe we can't afford them.

Lightning

Banned
Not good enough for a team like Manchester United.

In honour of the great man I'm adapting his maxim:

"You'll never win anything with average kids"
But everyone doesn't need to be a 30m world beater to be successful in a squad. You look at Vlaar, for Aston Villa he's shit but performed quite well for us. Tactics, players you're surrounded with etc.. Go a long way to determining how others perform as well. I hope LvG does purchase some of our players because he can make them better players and get the best out of them. You don't need a team full of Robben's to be successful.

Fergie won the league with an incredibly average United team for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom