• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Van Gaal will flop.

It will be even better than Moyes because to much is expected.

RoKo superior dutchman.

I didn't even think about the fact we have two Dutch managers in the EPL now all of a sudden. Too bad they're not really competition for each other in a normal season. Would be nice to see a title face off between two Dutch managers.

Blablurn

That's the worry.

Sell a world class player and use the cash to fund a plethora of unspectacular ones. Markovic had me excited but Lallana, Lambert and Can don't make my dick twinge at all.

Okay maybe Can but that's because of his follicles.

Can is actually good. Even if elsk doesnt like him. He's a great player for the DM position. Strong body and good technique. Really good buy.

3Sixty

I didn't even think about the fact we have two Dutch managers in the EPL now all of a sudden. Too bad they're not really competition for each other in a normal season. Would be nice to see a title face off between two Dutch managers.

How does a battle for 8th place sound?

bobito

Banned
I think everyone is really overating the EPL here, when was the last time a team not called chelsea got into the last 8 and it didnt look like a fluke

Wilbur

Banned
If we got Vidal and Hummels, we'd win the league

If we got Di Maria and Benatia, we'd come top three

If we got Clasie and Vermaelen, we'll finish below Newcastle

Fergie

Banned
To be frank Gaal has managed bigger teams than Moyes and Hughes.

But it's a different league, and so some degree of surprise will entail. EPL is tight as fuck and has many title capable teams.

Hopefully when the Gahl is back, the transfers will ramp up accordingly.

Slizz

I think everyone is really overating the EPL here, when was the last time a team not called chelsea got into the last 8 and it didnt look like a fluke

United against Barca final.

Also, EPL is so good constantly battling for the title hampers European play. When you are in leagues with 2 teams(some with only 1) it's easy to excel in Europe

/Premface

/Moonface.png

Clegg

Yes you do :lol

You have the team and manager for it!
We have the manager but not the team.

The defence we built all our success on has now either left the club or is about to. Our midfield consists of two decent players and absolute dross after that. OK our forward line is potentially devastating but lack pace and width. Its the only part of the squad that doesn't need major surgery though.

Wilbur

Banned

I've had to make this argument a lot of times recently; it's not the level of quality in comparison to Europe, it's the level of quality in comparison to each other. There's no huge jump like there is between Bayern, Juventus, Real/Barca and the rest of their leagues. The top five or six teams are closer in comparison than the top five or six in other leagues.

Arnie

Can is actually good. Even if elsk doesnt like him. He's a great player for the DM position. Strong body and good technique. Really good buy.
Best thing about Can, in addition to what you've said, is that he has all the building blocks to be top class.

If there's one thing Rodgers is exceptional at it's unlocking this potential. He's superb at understanding what a young player needs to do to take that next step in their development.

He did it with Henderson, Flanagan, Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho.

If he does it with Markovic and Can it'll be wonderful.

How good was Hansen, like? Was he one of the best defenders in the world?

Can't believe Froggie left him out like that. Always forget he managed at a WC.

Souness too, was he an 80's Vidal?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
If we got Vidal and Hummels, we'd win the league

If we got Di Maria and Benatia, we'd come top three

If we got Clasie and Vermaelen, we'll finish below Newcastle
You and I both know that if you get Vidal and a bag of chips, you'll fucking conquer England.

It's not about the standard of the top teams that makes it a difficult league. It's the fact that anyone can easily take points off of anyone, at any time in a way that doesn't happen so often elsewhere.

LegoArmo

Remember Van Gaal has one of the easiest starts to a league season in United history too. He should hit the ground running. Maybe it doesn't make a difference in the end, you play each team twice, but it'll definitely be good for moral if they kick off with a few wins.

Could absolutely destroy the positivity if they don't, though...

Elchele

United against Barca final.

Also, EPL is so good constantly battling for the title hampers European play. When you are in leagues with 2 teams(some with only 1) it's easy to excel in Europe

/Premface

/Moonface.png

Man Utd looked like amateurs against Barcelona in that final.

The league is tight as hell. 6 teams that can get results of each other, bottom teams and fight tooth and nail for results. It's not a 1/2 horse race like many other leagues.

How good was Hansen, like? Was he one of the best defenders in the world?

Can't believe Froggie left him out like that. Always forget he managed at a WC.

Souness too, was he an 80's Vidal?

Souness was basically Keane before Keane, from what I've heard

Hansen was like Agger on speed

Arnie

When LVG loses for the first time, and he will, the doubts will immediately spawn and grow and perpetuate throughout the media and the land.

That will be his downfall.

He isn't Ferguson. Neither was Moyes. The dream is collapsing.

Remember Van Gaal has one of the easiest starts to a league season in United history too. He should hit the ground running. Maybe it doesn't make a difference in the end, you play each team twice, but it'll definitely be good for moral if they kick off with a few wins.

Could absolutely destroy the positivity if they don't, though...
It's gonna take the team a while to adjust though, they haven't had a tactical instruction in a while.

Wouldn't be surprised if the first few games are pretty shit for us, performance wise at least.

When LVG loses for the first time, and he will, the doubts will immediately spawn and grow and perpetuate throughout the media and the land.

That will be his downfall.

He isn't Ferguson. Neither was Moyes. The dream is collapsing.

If Liverpool loses, not being able to score a goal. Will same happen for the decision to sell Suarez?

bobito

Banned
I've had to make this argument a lot of times recently; it's not the level of quality in comparison to Europe, it's the level of quality in comparison to each other. There's no huge jump like there is between Bayern, Juventus, Real/Barca and the rest of their leagues. The top five or six teams are closer in comparison than the top five or six in other leagues.

Yeah, so what we're basically saying is there are not any top teams in england. 5 years ago the top english teams consistently got into the semi's of the champs league. Now they can't get close. All of the top teams have obvious flaws.

Sure all of these fairly average teams are similar in quality, but it doesn't change the fact that they are not all that. I think the pressure is relatively limited. Everton were within 7 points of 4th, this is a team that Leon Osman played 43 games for last season

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Van Gaal has won trophies and/or medals everywhere he's been, United will at least win something and not be a joke.

sunday muppetry part II:

- Benfica looking to buy Argentina's keeper Sergio Romero from Sampdoria to replace Oblak.
- Benfica reached a deal with Atletico to buy DM Josuha Guilavogui. part of the deal seems to include sending Gaitan to Atletico.
- Real Madrid considering sending CM Casemiro on a loan to Benfica.
- Bebe is as good as done. should be announced next week.

K1LLER7

Expecting top 4.

Think Gaal will do well in terms of showing progress in the teams play and building something similar to how Brendan has built a team at Liverpool. First few fixtures we should be winning. Ultimately, it may take a season or 2 to get the team playing exactly how he wants and hopefully he gets the time. We still need some better players to come in.

If Liverpool loses, not being able to score a goal. Will same happen for the decision to sell Suarez?

It wasn't really a decision though. If Barca came close to his release clause, in the midst of another long ban for biting we didn't really have much choice. He was willing to act like a knob to get a move to Arsenal, fuck knows what he and Barca would have cooked up between them if we stopped him from moving.

We could maybe have held out until Barca offered the #fullamount but there was never really a situation where he played for us next season.

So even if we spend it all on Bertrand and get relegated, I won't consider selling Suarez to have been the wrong decision.

Fuck it can we sign Benatia?

City are getting Mangala.

Chelsea want him, so what was the point in getting Zouma?

The point was clearly that Terry isn't going to last forever and that Luiz was just sold, leaving only Cahill, Terry and Ivan (partly, depending on the fullback Chelsea is getting) for the CB positions. Mangala or Benatia for this season would probably only make sense if Zouma is loaned out, but it's not completely crazy for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom